Start by marking “The Town Square (Dare Valley, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Town Square (Dare Valley, #5)

The Town Square (Dare Valley #5)

1960 is ushering in a new decade of change, and journalist Arthur Hale is determined to be on the forefront of it. A successful New York City journalist, he returns to his hometown of Dare Valley, Colorado to start a new newspaper that will channel the voice of the West, joining the ranks of prestigious papers like The New York Times and The Chicago Tribune.

But the bigger
Published December 12th 2013 by Ava Miles, Inc. (first published December 11th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Town Square, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Town Square

Carol [Goodreads Addict]
The Town Square is book five in the Dare Valley series by Ava Miles. Going into this book, I wasn’t sure if I would love it as much as I have the previous books. But, after reading it, I can honestly say that I love it more.

photo newspapers_zps58101820.jpg

Arthur Hale is the patriarch of the Hale Family. He is the founder of The Western Independent, a well respected newspaper in Dare Valley, Colorado. His family and so many others love and respect him. He’s a widow now, and as he sits holding his new great granddaughter on th
Dianne
Once again, Ava Miles has taken me “home” to Dare Valley, straight to the heart and soul of the Hale family as Grandpa Hale relives his life and the story of his greatest love. Young Arthur Hale was determined to create a newspaper in Dare Valley that would become a voice to be trusted and heard throughout the West. His ambition and integrity to “get it right” was his obsession and his passion. When he hired the beautiful and intelligent Harriet “Jenkins” as his secretary, he sensed something ...more
Artemiz
Mar 04, 2014 Artemiz rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley, 2014
I'm sorry to say, but The Town Square by Ava Miles, was not a good read at all. As I did receive the book from NetGally I did try to give my best to like the story, but I simply could not.

The story was cross between How I Met Your Mother and Mad Man, minus the humor of the HIMYM and the boldness of MM. Yes all the right props from the that era where mentioned and the traditions where followed, but the story about stubborn woman and a how the hero of the story captured her was limping both legs.
Cindi
Jun 03, 2015 Cindi rated it really liked it
Town Square took me back to the 60's. Back to when the grandfather in the Dare Valley series met his wife. Love the story, love the way it was written.
Amanda
Feb 08, 2014 Amanda rated it it was amazing
ARC from NETGALLEY

This was a fantastic book, I couldn't put it down until it was done. I loved the story line and the main characters. It's more realistic then most romance books these days. I can't wait until I can read another book from this author.
Dee
Mar 14, 2015 Dee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two-haiku review:

Flashback for Grandpa
How he met and romanced wife
Many years ago

Surprised I liked it
1960s history
No sex pre-marriage
Nancy Martinez
Nov 21, 2016 Nancy Martinez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book

Arthur and Harriet story was so warm and welcoming. I enjoyed how Harriet tried to fight her feelings for Arthur until she realized it was a lost cause. He truly won her heart in a gentlemanly way.
Pam
Jul 07, 2015 Pam rated it it was amazing
Town Square is book five of the Dare Valley series by Ava Miles. In a way, it is a prequel to the Dare Valley stories.
Arthur Hale is the patriarch of the Hale family in Dare Valley. He started the newspaper in town and has gone on to keep it up and running and now his grandchildren are helping run it. At one of the family gatherings, he tells his grandchildren the story of how he came to set up the newspaper and how he met the love of his life.
Arthur was always a little different and did not w
Elisa Hordon
Sep 10, 2016 Elisa Hordon rated it it was amazing
A magical blast into the past.....

Everyone loves hearing Grandpa Hale tell his stories especially about how he found the love of his life Harriet, now 5yrs on after losing Harriet and 50yrs of happy marriage Arthur has just enjoyed the Christening of his new twin great-granddaughters Violet and Mia, while nursing Violet he starts to reminisce about when he first met Harriet to his granddaughters Meredith and Jill and another of his favourite women Peggy who is Meredith's sister in law and a loca
Joan
Mar 29, 2014 Joan rated it it was amazing
Although I am late to read this series, I am so glad that I found this book on NetGalley. I grew up in the sixties in a small town; and reading this book brought back so many memories - both sweet and sad. Ava Miles has created a typical small town with all of the colorful characters and attitudes of small towns throughout America.
Arthur Hale was a strong young man who believed that the American people of the west should have a voice that could be heard throughout America. He wanted to share not
Emsy Van Wyck
Love the 60s era? Travel back in time to Dare's The Town Sqaure
Ava Miles channeled Doctor Who for a bit of time travel back to the 1960s for her fifth book, The Town Square, telling the story of Merry and Jill’s grandfather, Arthur, and his true love, Harriet.

I’m always a bit nervous when authors revisit characters in the past as sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t - at all. This was a time when the time travel worked - and worked wonderfully. The back story of Arthur and Harriet is a m
Kooky
Feb 20, 2015 Kooky rated it really liked it
Arthur Hale has been a major part of the previous books in this series. He's the patriarch of the Hale family, always stepping in with wise words and advice when needed. He's the founder of The Western Independant in Dare Valley. This story, set in December 1960, tells us how he started the paper and how he met his dear departed wife, Harriet.
After seeing so much of Arthur in the other books, it's good to find out more about him. As they say, behind every great man is a great woman, and we get
Sue Parker
Nov 01, 2015 Sue Parker rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite story so far in this series. Arthur has moved back to Dare and it's the early 1960's. He has plans to start a newspaper. Now Harriet and her sister just moved to Dare. She applied and got the job as his secretary. Little does he know that she is the daughter of a doctor he has written about. Harriet is originally out to prove Arthur made up the story about her father. When that didn't work she decided to try to ruin his reputation. She ends up falling in love with him. And he ...more
Nesie
Jul 07, 2015 Nesie rated it it was amazing
I love that Miles decided to give readers a peek at Arthur Hale's life before he was the scion of the Hale family. Sweet funny and heartwarming, but with a touch of steam.

Miles manages to keep things era-specific, which is a nice change from some writers who simply say it's [insert date here] and have their characters act like modern day folks. Arthur, Harriet and their gang all observe early 60s conventions, and yet aren't stuffy or antiquated in the least.

Plus, there are bookend pieces that
Jeene Hobbs
Apr 23, 2015 Jeene Hobbs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a sweet 60's romance for Arthur

While Jill's twins are napping Grandpa Arthur waxes nostalgic and tells the story of how he met his wife Harriet. I don't often hear voices for book characters however since book 1, Arthur has sounded like Fraser Crane's dad from the TV series. Maybe it is the age, the cane and the wit & wisdom.

This is a sweet story. Most of the small town 60's stuff is believable. It gets a little teary near the end. However Miles includes her tickle-your-funny-bone piece, th
Maryann Fox
This was a great story: #5 in the Dare Valley series) the story of Arthur Hale (grandpa & patriarch of the family) and how he met his true love Harriet. Also about how he got his start in the newspaper business. The story covers Arthur's start in the newspaper business and his return to Dare Valley and how he met Harriet and the very start of their marriage.

Not having read the next two books in the series- I don't know if they will have more on their lives- I would love reading about Arthur
Amy Shelton
Oct 29, 2014 Amy Shelton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You can't help but love grandpa Hale! When I started this series, I wasn't sure I really was going to like it. What a SILLY thought that was. As with all the others, I couldn't put it down. I loved all the details that Ava put into this book, just as she did with the others! Arthur's character has me looking for the way he is going to step in, in every book to help the younger couples out. If I got to choose, I would choose him as my grandpa! His love story is feisty, fun, and so incredibly ...more
kathleen rapacz
Sep 05, 2015 kathleen rapacz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Back in Time

This time we learn how the patriarch and his lady, Harriet, met and fell in love. My only complaint is the use of historical fact that reads at first glance incorrectly. JFK was elected in November of 1960, and sworn in January of 1961, so the references making him president in 1959, are wrong...I also thought she might be ending the story with a death but luckily, that didn't happen. An enjoyable trip back in time.
Heather
Aug 22, 2014 Heather rated it really liked it
Love, love, love Grandpa and I'm so glad I got to read his story. I did find myself sad throughout the whole book since (view spoiler). But, their story was very good, and he is just such a great guy, I enjoyed reading it.

Would say he is a book boyfriend, but its kinda creepy-weird to say that since this is just a flashback and you know he is really old now.
Nicola Fail
Jan 28, 2015 Nicola Fail rated it it was amazing
I have enjoyed this series of books enormously! This one charting grampa Hales love for his wife Harriet was so sweet, the context was written so well, no use of language that would not have been used in them times and even the sex scene had vail of modesty over it, perfect for the times the book was based in! I am so glad I found this author!
Rachel
Oct 14, 2014 Rachel rated it it was amazing
I loved going back in time to Dare of the passed I was not sure I was going to like this story when I started reading it you never know how its going to work whan an aithor skips back in time but this was just perfect. My love of Arthur Hale has really grown in this book what I wouldn't give to have a Grandpa just like him.
Shirley kendall
Dec 19, 2014 Shirley kendall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Someone we love

I started to skip this book for lack of interest in looking back; I am so glad I didn't miss this heart warming story of how the Hale's family is connected. Arthur and Harriet Is so well described through their
emotional strength it leaves you with a warmth of family connection.
Linda Burnette
Aug 09, 2014 Linda Burnette rated it it was amazing
Arthur has his work cut out for him. First in making a successful newspaper in Dare. Second in convincing the woman who has stolen his heart that they are meant to be together. Things aren't always on the inside as they seem on the outside. Surprises come in many different packages!
Jane Heitbrink
Mar 18, 2015 Jane Heitbrink rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another part of an interesting series

To short but a lovely story. Each of the Dare Valley Books are easy reads but hold your interest. Need to be read in order.
Kristin
Apr 15, 2014 Kristin rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, series
I just loved reading about Arthur. He's one of my favorite characters. The Dare Valley series is sweet and romantic and not my usual reading material but love it anyways.
Nicole
Aug 05, 2015 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has been my favorite in the Dare series so far! I loved reading about Arthur and Harriet, and wished it was twice as long!
Cindy
Jun 30, 2015 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: k-l-m
Grandpa .Arthur and Harriet

I enjoyed this book but it was not what I expected. At times I thought it dragged. Good but not as good as the others in the series.
Lori
Oct 02, 2015 Lori rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-bookshelf
Meryl
Aug 22, 2015 Meryl rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2015
I thought this one was just okay. I understand the concept of introducing us to Arthur Hale as a young man, but I'm not sure why it had to be in a novel (albeit a short one) all by itself.
Joi Merritt
Intereting

This was a good book to show how the family and things that affected them today were tied to the present.
  • For the Love of Death (The Death Series, #7)
  • Saying Goodbye to Warsaw
  • Braedric's Bane (Golden Key Chronicles, #4)
  • Of Blood and Brothers: Book Two (Of Blood and Brothers, #2)
  • The Token 5 (The Token, #5)
  • Tied With a Bow and No Place to Go (Tizzy/Ridge Trilogy #3)
  • I Love You, Salvatore (The Five Families, #1)
  • The Wife (The Professor, #4)
  • Far Shore
  • Black Orchid
  • The Cowboy's Mail Order Bride (Cowboys & Brides, #3)
  • A Life Singular (Book #1)
  • Dark Waltz (Praestani, #1)
  • Perfect Need - Seven Tales of Love and Passion
  • September Sky (American Journey, #1)
  • All the Pleasures of the Season
  • Eclipse Lake
  • Charity's Storm (Charity, #4)
USA Today Bestselling Author Ava Miles joined the ranks of beloved storytellers after receiving Nora Roberts' blessing for her use of Ms. Roberts' name in her debut novel, the #1 National Bestseller NORA ROBERTS LAND, which kicked off her contemporary family series, Dare Valley. A mere six months after her debut in 2013, she'd hit the USA Today Bestseller list and released five books. So far, over ...more
More about Ava Miles...

Dare Valley (10 books)
  • Nora Roberts Land (Dare Valley, #1)
  • French Roast (Dare Valley, #2)
  • The Grand Opening (Dare Valley, #3)
  • The Holiday Serenade (Dare Valley, #4)
  • The Park of Sunset Dreams (Dare Valley, #6)
  • The Perfect Ingredient (Dare Valley, #7)
  • The Bridge to a Better Life (Dare Valley, #8)
  • The Calendar of New Beginnings (Dare Valley, #9)
  • Home Sweet Love (Dare Valley, #10)