The Horsemaster's Daughter (Calhoun Chronicles #2)

The Horsemaster's Daughter (Calhoun Chronicles #2)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  1,072 ratings  ·  75 reviews
Widower Hunter Calhoun is a privileged son of the South with two young children whose life is shadowed by the scandalous death of his wife. When his prized Thoroughbred arrives from Ireland crazed and unmanageable, Hunter seeks the help of his horsemaster's daughter, Eliza Flyte. Reissue.
Published August 1st 2003 by Mira Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Horsemaster's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Horsemaster's Daughter

Red
Picked this up at half-price books while turning in others. I thought it had the makings for a good story: horses and romance. Sounded great. That was before the 2 person rule went into effect. The writer clearly violates the rule, and the story is just not that good, and neither is the writing. Or else I'm simply getting bored with just these 2 people (alone on an island yet), so we don't even have a variety of locations. Another problem with 2 character stories, writers don't engage in dialog...more
Marleen
My reading choices have always varied in genre. It’s truly important for me to alternate from fiction to mystery/thriller to romance novel because I enjoy diving into a different world with each genre.
Lately the so-called established romance writers seem to disappoint me a little: same here with the Horsemaster’s Daughter by Susan Wiggs. It was cute and heartwarming at times, but mostly predictable. I waited for something to truly captivate me, but it never happened. As for the lead characters,...more
Gemma
Suzette
Ayanna Smith
Usually I hate the fact that the lead male has children, this was done wonderfully! My heart was with those children along their journey to recovery. (view spoiler)
Jen
For some reason, this book really pulled at me. I was almost at the end before I had to leave for work but didn't get to finish it and due to the point where I stopped, I was depressed all day. I couldn't stop thinking about the book, and I actually hurt for the characters. It was weird how much it affected me, really. Not sure why. Anyway, it was really good.
Kellee Farr
I opened this book and fell in love. I knew I would. Susan Wiggs is a master at her craft! Using complex human nature in her characters to draw out true emotion in her readers. Thank you for, once again, drawing me into your world and gifting my quest for distraction into heartfelt reality. I loved this book!
Roseanne
This book is slightly different from other historical romance books I have read in the past. The history around their lives is more influential and not just providing the backdrop for the story. Susan Wiggs writes in such a way that you feel as though you are an outsider watching everything unfold before your very eyes. The ending is appropriate and although quick it does not feel rushed in its telling. There are many themes in this book and each person will find something different to take away...more
Linda
This had an interesting twist the normal Historical Romance in that the heroine, Eliza, was not the typical helplesss female of the 1850's. She was raised by her father, and the 2 of them were all alone on an island off the coast of Virigina. She knew next to nothing about her mother, and all she really knew about her father's past was that he used to be a famous/successful horse trainer and horserace jockey. Hunter Colhoun is a tabbaco plantation landowner but due to his father leaving the esta...more
Blodeuedd Finland

When it comes to the other book, The Horsemaster's Daughter, well then I prefer the first somewhat more. They are both ok, but I guess I just go for sea stories sometime, even if he was not a pirate. She wants him, he wants her, but he is rich, and she is nothing. But she goes with him to take care of his horses.

There was a twist in this one, well dunno if it was a twist when it was so obvious. But I liked it. This story is much about healing, not just the horse, but his children too, and also h...more
Susan
I found this story to be both satisfying and difficult to read. Susan Wiggs always does such a fantastic job of character development and interaction. This was no exception. Hunter turned to alcohol to escape his problems and spent much of the book under the influence. I found this sad and difficult to read. He was really a sorry character until he lost what really mattered to him. Eliza however was a joy to read about. She was very balanced and confident. I loved that she was not afraid to be h...more
Nancy Brady
This is the first novel I've read by this author. Classifying it as historical romance, it tells the story of a man, his horse, and the somewhat unconventional woman who tamed them both. Eliza has learned the ways of gentling horses from her recently deceased father and now lives alone on an island. Hunter Calhoun takes his recently acquired, extremely skittish and fearful Irish race horse to her father, rather than destroy the animal. He finds her instead and their time together changes them bo...more
Brooke
LOL, guilty as charged, this is definitely a romance but more so in the battle of minds than bodies. Once I was 1/3 into the book, I became fully engrossed in the story and didn't want to put it down. Again, it was another story of living with the land and being present and knowing of nature... It seems to be a theme for me lately. Perhaps it is spring. :)
Natalie
I just really wasn't a fan :( This book had so much potential, but I finished it only out of idle curiosity, not genuine interest in the characters.
OD Brink
This would be a 3.5 stars. Good book if you are looking for light romance. The author has done some fine research and/or has good imagination.
Sharon A.
Actually enjoyed this sequel to The Charm School more than I did the first book; really loved Eliza and Hunter.
Deana Smiel
Really enjoyed this, couldn't put it down. Unique characters that seemed true.
Rachel Rogers
Sequel to Charm School and maybe a bit weeker than that one though still a very enjoyable read. When I learned that Hunter's story was to come I was ambivalent, thinking it would be a back together story with he and Lacey (who did not strike me as worthwhile in her brief appearance in Charm School). No, that's not it. Oddly, I was halfway through the story about Blue and Isabel (? Summer Affair?) when I started this. Having now read this story I'm more inclined to finish the other which had been...more
Abby
Considerably weaker than the first book Charm School , this book has all the elements of a good romance, but with too many caveats to make it great. With a heroine who's a little **too** perfect, a hero who's a little **too** Alpha-Alcoholic, and a pair of plot moppets that I liked a whole lot better when one didn't speak, the story just didn't mesh. I appreciated the connection to The Tempest, but I felt positively bludgeoned to death by the references and meta-Tempestualness.

Overall, a big MEH...more
Cristina Contilli
"La vita era fatta così, penso Blué. Un misto di luce e di buio che si rincorrono senza fine. Bisogna imparare ad aspettare che il sole penetri tra le nubi. E, se si è pazienti, succede sempre."

E' il primo libro che leggo di questa autrice e l'ho trovato rosa e avventuroso insieme. Mi è anche piaciuto il riferimento al fatto che le differenze sociali spesso possono essere spesso più forti e più radicate dei sentimenti, ma qui siamo in un rosa e l'amore alla fine (per fortuna) trionfa.

Divya Kilikar
I would have given it three, maybe even four (or maybe not) if it hadn't been for the fact that the first half of the book was too predictable, as some other reviewers here agree. It was just typical romantic stuff between two people alone on an island. I mean, there was no thrill. I found myself guessing correctly what most of the pages would say, and I got bored. But the second half of the book was pretty okay, I suppose and hence, two stars.
Joycee
Though not extreme in their tear-jerking ability, Ms. Wiggs's stories nevertheless tug at your heartstrings. I like the flow, and the non-head-scratch-inducing-huh? dialogue. Hunter & Eliza (and the other characters) are all credibly human (read: flawed but can be identified with). I think the only Calhoun story I have left to read is Blue's (Theodore's).
Sandra
I found this book hard going for the first 1/3 or so, I almost gave up on it, but wanted to keep at it, as it is part of the Calhoun Chronicles. Once Hunter and Eliza left the island, and the children became part of the story, it really picked up, and I was glad I had persevered, as it became quite a good book!
Frances Fuller
This book is for people who like Romance and Horses.
Linda
Although a tad predictable, I liked the characters, setting, historical aspects. I enjoyed the story. 1/14
Sue
Feb 11, 2009 Sue rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
I loved this book, it was great, I was so sorry when I finished reading it. I anxious to find "A Summer Affair", I believe it about the son of one of the main characters in the book. Does anyone know it there are more books in this series?
Jaime Atkins
The Old South is not my favorite time period, but overall, I liked this book. Toward the end, it really grabbed me and I couldn't put it down. The ending was great! I love it when a man sacrafices for love. That doesn't happen often enough.
Megan
2.5 Not as good as Charm School. Sometimes there are too many characters to keep track of but while only two was different it was boring. I usually don't like kids but they actually made the story better. Of course there was a cute ending.
Rochelle
Very, very good! I went back and give it 5 stars, it was so good. I haven't read any of Susan Wiggs' books for a while so it was a nice return!
  • Courting Susannah
  • The Outlaw Hearts
  • Sweet Everlasting
  • Garters
  • The River Devil (Devil, #2)
  • Mountain Wild (Wild, #3)
  • A Rogue in Texas (Rogues in Texas, #1)
  • To Wed in Texas (The McLain Series 3)
  • Reckless (Regency Trilogy, #2)
  • Rogue In My Arms (Runaway Brides, #2)
  • Two Little Lies (MacLachlan Family, #3)
  • Cheyenne Song
  • Nobody's Darling
  • New Orleans Legacy
  • Rebel (Florida Civil War, #3)
  • Feels Like Family (The Sweet Magnolias #3)
  • Indigo Blue (Comanche, #3)
  • The Gift (Malloy Family, #5)
Susan Wiggs's life is all about family, friends...and fiction. She lives at the water's edge on an island in Puget Sound, and she commutes to her writers' group in a 17-foot motorboat. She serves as author liaison for Field's End, a literary community on Bainbridge Island, Washington, bringing inspiration and instruction from the world's top authors to her seaside community. (See www.fieldsend.org...more
More about Susan Wiggs...
Just Breathe Summer at Willow Lake (Lakeshore Chronicles, #1) Dockside (Lakeshore Chronicles, #3) The Winter Lodge (Lakeshore Chronicles #2) Table for Five