Start by marking “In Defense of Animals” as Want to Read:
In Defense of Animals

In Defense of Animals

In Defense of Animals: The Second Wave brings together the best current ethical thinking about animals. Edited by Peter Singer, who made "speciesism " an international issue in 1975 when he published Animal Liberation, this new book presents the state of the animal movement that his classic work helped to inspire.Long hailed as a brilliant and controversial philosopher, Si ...more
Published July 1st 1986 by Harper Perennial (first published January 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about In Defense of Animals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Defense of Animals

Greg
I read this book in an Ethics class in college. I don't really remember much of it, at the time I was a vegetarian, I'd flirted unsuccessfully with being a vegan for about a month and a half at the start of the school year before tiring of every meal I ate being an ethical war between me and one of my roommates. I was very well versed in animal rights, I knew why I wasn't eating meat, and I remember this book not really adding anything I hadn't already wrestled with in my head.

During that class
Jeannie
Sep 14, 2008 Jeannie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who cares about animals or the food you eat
Very deep and thought provoking book on the way we view and treat animals. Being a vegan myself I found this book fascinating and troubling at the same time. A very good read and good for the soul.

Amanda Rivera
Apr 11, 2013 Amanda Rivera rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to have a positive effect on the world
Recommended to Amanda by: my ethics teacher
This is the most comprehensive book I've read on human relations with non-human animals. I've read a few books on factory farming, but here Singer also collects essays discussing arguments for and against zoos and animal testing. This section discussing real life issues involving our relationships with other animals comes after philosophical essays on the moral implications of our treatment of animals. I learned about speciesism, how our views on animals are shaped by different religions, and wh ...more
Joshua Duffy
Sep 06, 2016 Joshua Duffy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonhumans
Great book on the animal rights movement; edited by Peter Singer. A collection of essays from influential people within the movement on topics like factory farming, the idea of 'self', animal intelligence, the relation between activists and the media, etc. Really good introductory book, as the topics are dealt with in short segments, by a wide range of authors. Makes you think.............
Greg
Jan 29, 2016 Greg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Informative book but not totally persuasive, I think he had flaws in the extension of some of his arguments.
iarXiv
May 22, 2016 iarXiv rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-english
Good introduction into the subjects and issues surrounding the way humans treat animals.

The books should be modernised (graphics, themes, content) if it is to appeal to a wider audience.
Josepha
Aug 24, 2016 Josepha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some interesting, thought-provoking essays on the animal rights movement and its tactics and flaws.
Mariah
Mariah rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2008
Kelsey Layos
Kelsey Layos rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2012
Stanisha Veljkovikj
Stanisha Veljkovikj rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2014
Matthew Trickett
Matthew Trickett rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2014
Travis Elise
Travis Elise rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2014
Andrea Stults
Andrea Stults rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2015
Jeff
Jeff rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2013
Undomiel
Undomiel rated it did not like it
Aug 10, 2015
Nepeta
Nepeta rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2015
Stefan
Stefan rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2015
Corazon Mestizo
Corazon Mestizo rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2008
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2008
Jeffrey
Jeffrey rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2014
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2013
Cpas
Cpas rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2012
Andrei Chirita
Andrei Chirita rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2013
Jeff
Jeff rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2012
Steve Learmonth
Steve Learmonth rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2014
Helen
Helen rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2012
Stacey Stewart
Stacey Stewart rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2013
Judi Stella
Judi Stella rated it really liked it
May 15, 2014
Angela
Angela rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2011
Jess
Jess rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2007
  • The Case for Animal Rights
  • Introduction to Animal Rights: Your Child or the Dog?
  • Making A Killing: The Political Economy of Animal Rights
  • The Dreaded Comparison: Human and Animal Slavery
  • Thanking the Monkey: Rethinking the Way We Treat Animals
  • Terrorists or Freedom Fighters?: Reflections on the Liberation of Animals
  • The Pig Who Sang to the Moon: The Emotional World of Farm Animals
  • The Animal Activist's Handbook: Maximizing Our Positive Impact in Today's World
  • The Inner World of Farm Animals: Their Amazing Intellectual, Emotional and Social Capacities
  • An Unnatural Order: Why We Are Destroying The Planet and Each Other
  • Slaughterhouse: The Shocking Story of Greed, Neglect, And Inhumane Treatment Inside the U.S. Meat Industry
  • Animal Ingredients A to Z
  • Obligate Carnivore: Cats, Dogs, and What it Really Means to be Vegan
Peter Albert David Singer is an Australian philosopher. He is the Ira W. DeCamp Professor of Bioethics at Princeton University, and laureate professor at the Centre for Applied Philosophy and Public Ethics (CAPPE), University of Melbourne. He specializes in applied ethics, approaching ethical issues from a secular preference utilitarian perspective.

He has served, on two occasions, as chair of phil
More about Peter Singer...