Last Breath (Last #3)

Last Breath (Last #3)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  776 ratings  ·  52 reviews
You’ve taken your Last Look. You’ve spoken your Last Words. Now prepare to surrender your Last Breath to New York Times bestselling author Mariah Stewart, in this tour de force of suspense, romance, and action.

As renowned archaeologist Dr. Daria McGowan readies the most important project of her career–a University museum exhibit showcasing the priceless artifacts her grea...more
Published July 31st 2007 by Random House Publishing Group (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Last Breath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Breath

Me Before You by Jojo MoyesThe House at Riverton by Kate MortonThe Help by Kathryn StockettThe Distant Hours by Kate MortonThe Secret Keeper by Kate Morton
2013: The Over 35s favourite books of 2013
460th out of 462 books — 81 voters
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingEclipse by Stephenie MeyerThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussA Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled HosseiniCity of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Best Books of 2007
348th out of 572 books — 643 voters

More lists with this book...

Jim
If someone told me this was really authored by someone else, I'd be inclined to believe them. It had a different beginning, and a different feel throughout. I've read a lot of Stewart and know she has the talent to do this, so I'll not claim it was someone else.

This balanced just about everything well. The archaeology, the characters, the murders, and the "romance" (every one of her FBI books has to have romance, whether you want it or not. One place I really did not like it--too much detail, bu...more
Mojca
Jan 18, 2009 Mojca rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NO ONE!!!
Recommended to Mojca by: I brought this upon myself at the Mexico City airport
As a renowned archaeologist, Dr. Daria McGowan is invited to prepare an exhibit of priceless artifacts unearthed a century ago by her great-grandfather.

As she starts cataloging the artifacts, she makes a shocking discovery. Some are missing. With her back against the wall, she calls the FBI, actually an FBI agent, Special Agent Connor Shields, she's met a few months back in Morocco...And he is more than happy to accept, since she's been "haunting" his dreams ever since their (one and only) encou...more
Dotti Elrick
We first heard about FBI agent Conner Shields in the first book of the FBI series, Dead Wrong. He's been in and out of several other books, but this is his story.
Conner first met archaeologist Daria McGowin in a small Moroccan villa where he was enjoying some rare down time. Before he could get to know her better, he was called away on another one of his "super secret missions". But he leaves her his card and tells her to call him anytime.
While working on a dig in Northwestern Iran, Daria gets...more
Louise
I love Mariah Stewart's novels and this newly released, was no disappointment!! Can hardly wait for the next novel, 'MERCY STREET' to hit store shelves. I've read all her books to date.

From back cover:

"A renowned archaeologist Dr. Daria McGowan readies the most important project of her career - a university museum exhibit showcasing the priceless artifacts her great-grandfather unearthed a century earlier in the Middle East - she makes a shocking discovery: many of the most significant pieces ha...more
Mathilde
BORING. Internationally renowned archaeologist Daria McGowan is called away from a dig in some desert to look over a collection of her artifacts acquired by her great grandfather. The artifacts are from a lost matriarchal culture and stored in the basement of a museum at a second-rate college. She delightedly goes to the college, finds some of the artifacts are missing, enlists the help of an FBI agent, Conner, whom she has met only once. Conner comes running, and they find out that collectors w...more
Marilyn Groves
Lighter suspense with some romance. Enjoyed the archeological 'bit's. Quick synopsis - Asked to organize a museum exhibition of her grandfather's discovery in Turkey over a hundred years ago, archeologist Doria finda a number of pieces missing. With the aid of handsome FBI agent Conner, they track down the pieces... and more.
Kathryn
An archaeologist, Dr. Daria McGowan, is preparing an exhibit of her late great-grandfather's artifacts. She finds that some of the pieces are missing. Daria works with FBI agent Connor Shields to track them down. What they find is that the owners of the items have been gruesomely murdered in a ritualistic way. They have to race to prevent the murders of the remaining owners, recover the remaining artifacts, and uncover a killer. The cover of this book says it is a suspense but my library has a r...more
Kristin
This book was a very hard read for me, I was so surprised because I have loved all the other books in this series. I was excited to finally meet Conner after hearing bout the mysterious man in all the other books.
Marlene
Easy read mystery/romance. Daria prepares to set up a museum display of her great grandfather's archeological diggings, only to find that some are missing. She contacts Connor, the eventual love interest and member of the FBI, and, in their search for the stolen artifacts, they begin to find that people who had one of the artifacts in their private collections were being murdered. And so they set out to solve the murders. They do, and live happily ever after.
Nicole
I really liked this book. The history and archeology were awesome to read, and I liked that the romance went at a fairly slow pace, not whirlwind- it was more realisitc that way. I also loved that the romance (at least for the characters) took a back seat to the whole solve-the-mruders plot. It was nice to see them put the serious issues frist (doesn't happen often in books with romance).
Marion
this book was such a bore i only got 3/4 of the way through before giving up. the characters were 2 dimensional and not in the least engaging. they were stuck up and stuffy and made the poorest choices known to man. situations and reactions were totally unbelievable. the 2 stars are only because the book might not be as bad as i think, maybe i was just having an off day.
Debra
Sigh. On the surface this is an enjoyable romantic suspense novel by an author who has turned out several excellent ones. But, the main charactes made so many incredibly stupid decisions and/or professional no-nos that suspending disbelief became impossible. I finished it, but it left an unpleasant taste in my mouth.
Andrea
Connor Shields FBI agent and world traveler. Viewed Daria McGowan, professor of archeology,in Morocco, joined her for dinner but got called away. Now they are both back in the United States where Daria has taken a position with the university which houses a collection of antiquities gathered by her great-grandfather.
Barbara ★
Not as good as the others in the series. Honestly I was more bored than anything. I liked Daria and I liked Connor but together they were lame (and not together at all really). The mystery didn't intrigue me and neither did the investigation. Just blah.
Jeannie
I loved the archeological reference in this book, right up my alley! I liked the book overall, found it a bit predictable, but a good way to pass the time. If I was looking for suspense, I would have been disappointed. I would read this author again.
Biba
I really enjoyed this book. I loved Daria, especially Connor. There were some things left unfinished, so I hope we come back to it in another book. I would love to see how Daria and Connor are doing. Oh, I loved Sweet Thing too.
Mary
romantic suspense. I liked the college atmosphere & archeological info. I will read more by this author when I run out of new books to read.... Just happened to pick this one off the new shelf or a display, I forget which.
Alexina
You have to read about half way into the book before it finally gets really interesting. The first half drags a bit.
Len Romano
Not as good as the last book In this series. It was a quick read, however. The villains are revealed to late in the book. Action could have been a little better as well. An average read.
Sherree
This was the last book in this trilogy, and I thought it was by far the best one. In my opinion, the story line was much more interesting and compelling than the first two books.
Judy
Yes, I liked it -- unfortunately, I guessed the "bad guy" almost from the beginning -- if it was that obvious to me, then it should have been so to the FBI -- right?!?!?
Julaine
Ok read. Some interesting archeological elements. However, I know this is kind of silly but it bothers me that the name or cover art don't seem to relate to the story.
Heidi
This had such potential...but the characters were just so bad. Daria, the main character came across as a real ding-bat and not like a world-traveled archeologist.
Kat
Detective/love story with some archeology. I was hoping for more of a detective story than love story, but the mystery was way too easy to see through.
Brenda
This book is suspenseful with some romance and a delightful dog thrown in. I plan to read more by this author because I really enjoyed this one.
Kay
Apr 09, 2008 Kay rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers
Shelves: mystery
I like Stewart's books but I wasn't as interested in this plot as most of her books. It was a quick easy read and did keep my interest.
Barbara
I expected more of Conner's story. It was enjoyable but my least favorite of the Mariah Stewart books I have read thus far.
Nolena
I though third one would be the charm, but i still wasn't into it. Well written, just not into the story line.
Elaine
abrupt ending, not sure what the title had to do with anything, but interesting mystery. Loved the dog!
  • Playing Dead (Prison Break Trilogy, #3)
  • Deep Disclosure (A-Tac, #4)
  • In Seconds (Bulletproof, #2)
  • Crossfire (High Risk #2)
  • Cold Pursuit (Black Falls, #1)
Mariah Stewart is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of twenty-six novels and three novellas and has been featured in the Wall Street Journal. She is a RITA finalist in romantic suspense and the recipient of the Award of Excellence for contemporary romance, a RIO Award for excellence in women's fiction, and a Reviewers Choice Award from Romantic Times Magazine. A three-time winner...more
More about Mariah Stewart...
Dead Certain (Dead #2) Mercy Street (Mercy Street, #1) Dead Wrong (Dead #1) Cold Truth (Truth #1) Last Look (Last #1)