Start by marking “Last Look (Last #1)” as Want to Read:
Last Look (Last #1)

Last Look (Last #1)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  1,757 ratings  ·  69 reviews
Dorsey Collins was 12 when her dad investigated the kidnapping and apparent murder of 14-year-old Shannon Randall. Though her body was never found, authorities located her blood and belongings in the car of Eric Louis Beale. Now, 20 years later, the body of a murdered hooker has been identified as that of Shannon Randall.
Published May 29th 2007 by Ballantine Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Last Look, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Look

Amanda Ainge
I just discovered Mariah Stewart a few months ago and I really like her books. They are kind of dark, and definitely twisted, but she is such a good writer and the stories are so interesting. I never know who the bad guy is until the end, usually it surprises me (which I love, it irritates me when I am able to guess the bad guy at the beginning of the book). She doesn't have very strong language (awesome) and I guess she is considered Romantic Suspense, but the love story part of her books tends ...more
Dotti Elrick
I enjoyed Last Look, the first book in Mariah Stewart's "Last" series. I've read her other FBI books and have enjoyed them as well.
Special Agent Andrew Shields, is still reeling from the backlash caused by the scandal his brother, (also an FBI agent) was involved with.
Hoping to give him back some of his self confidence, his boss sends him to Georgia to investigate the death of a prostitute found shot and stabbed to death. The prostitute has been positively identified as Shannon Randall.
Shannon
Ayu Wirdha
Mgkin seharusnya membaca seri ini dulu baru ke chesapeake, krn seri ini bercerita ttg keluarga Shields yg berkarir di FBI & salah satunya yaitu Grant menjadi hero di buku 1 seri Chesapeake. Cerita sebagian besar ttg kasus pembunuhan, prostitusi, abuser, rape, runaway girl, penghianatan, anak haram, harta warisan, konflik keluarga & sedikitttt romance. Memang campur aduk kejahatannya. Lumayan dark jg ini novel, beda jauh dgn seri chesapeake.

Ayah Dorsey melakukan kesalahan dlm penyelidikan
Gerry Bartlett
I found this paperback from 2007 in a thrift store while I was waiting for a friend. I got hooked from page one. An FBI agent is convinced a boy killed a 14 year old girl but the body is never found. Still, he is convicted and the boy goes to death row. Twenty four years later, after the boy/man is executed, the missing girl is found dead, recently dead. Seems she had run away and the boy had been as innocent as he had claimed. Okay, great hook. Now the FBI agent's daughter is compelled to try t ...more
Maura
Judi
I really liked this one. Read in a day. Easy read.

It had a good suspense story to keep you interested.
We meet Dorsey Collins whose father (FBI agent -Matt Raneiri)
was called in to investigate the kidnapping/murder of a 14 year old girl - Shannon Randall. Daughter of preacher of the town. With the Sheriff of the town, they pick up Eric Beale, who was seen with Shannon. They
found a blood tee shirt in his truck and arrest and convict him for
the murder of Shannon. He is executed for this crime year
Tara Kable
Great mystery and great ending...my only criticism would be that imwould have liked more romance between andrew and dorsey, or for the next book to keep going with them. I believe the next one in the series has to do with andrews sister...but overall really good book.
Alora Staley
You know those books that you really want to read but you can't seem to get through the first few chapters, but once you do it is absolutely amazing? Well that was Mariah Stewart's suspenseful thriller Last Look for me. The way she is able to portray her characters and her plot is intriguing to say the least. She is able to capture your attention and hold it until the very last sentence.

The book starts with the discovery of the body of a prostitute. She was stabbed repeatedly and left on a small
Holly
It was very difficult to 'rate' this book. I look for a little more 'mystery' when I read a police novel. This book rolled along quietly building and building - - but it wasn't a book that I couldn't put down and wondered what the next chapter was going to bring. It was a very easy read - something I didn't have to 'think' about a whole lot. The story was interesting.....and a few twists at the end. The body of a girl shows up as dying less than a week ago. This same girl was 'suppose' to have ...more
Betty
Aug 19, 2014 Betty rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Betty by: Sent to me for Review

Last Look: A Novel of Suspense
By Mariah Stewart
Ballantine
June 2007

In nineteen-eighty-three, eighteen-year-old Eric Beale was executed for the murder of Shannon Randall, even though her body was never found. Shannon was the daughter and granddaughter of preachers in Hatton, South Carolina. FBI Special Agent Matt Ranieri built a strong case against the young man strictly on circumstantial evidence. In June of this year the body of a prostitute found in a s
Dina
Jay Jessmer
Mariah Stewart is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. After very much enjoying her "Dead" series and then the "Mercy Street" series, I am now diving headlong into "Last".
This first entry into the series was a page-turner. A well crafted story that kept me guessing every step of the way. There were no giveaways and I found myself becoming part of the investigation throughout. The charcters were well written and likeable without being overblown or grating.
I love books that have a simpl
Barbara ★
Dorsey Collins, FBI agent and daughter of infamous FBI agent, Matt Raneiri, who solved the crime now coming back into the spotlight. 24 years ago, Matt arrested Eric Beale for the murder of Shannon Randall though no body was ever found. Now the body of Shannon has surfaced, only 8 hours old. Dorsey is tasked with FBI agent Andrew Shields to investigate Shannon's disappearance 24 years ago. Why she disappeared and how? Where she's been? What tragedy caused her to flee her home? And, the big quest ...more
Shirley Worley
I recently discovered Mariah Stewart. After reading the first Mercy Street book, I was hooked and immediately read the other two in the series. Now I have just finished Last Look. The plot was very interesting and well done. I loved the characters, though I wish there had been a little more romance building throughout the latter part of the story. Couldn't put it down. Very good book.
Suzanne

A prostitute shows up among the shorelines of Georgia. She has been dead for about 8 hours. How can this happen? This is the twist in the book. She has been declared dead for 24 years.

Shannon is just 14 when her disappearance is noticed. Several classmates notice that she is riding inthe car of boy who has a crush on her. That's the last time that any of her friends see her.

The boy is put on trial, convicted and later executed. There are 2 questions to consider: who REALLY killed Shannon this t
Nancy
Two FBI agents were sent to find out who killed a young woman found recently. Tests showed she had been killed 8 hours before she was found. The problem? Aside from being dead, that is. She died 24 years ago and her murderer had since been executed. Quite a tangle of lies and mistakes.
Kira FlowerChild
Pretty much what I expected - standard cliche-ridden FBI "thriller" with cardboard cutout characters. Nonetheless, it is a pleasant way to pass the time, the so-called "beach book", and I may read other books by the same author when I am looking for something mindless to get away from the turmoil in my life.
Patty Ralph
EDGE OF SEAT SUSPENSE

This is my first novel by the author and it is well worth the read-only a Goodreads book- I highly recommend and am getting the next book.
Janine
I really enjoy Mariah Stewart's writing and this was another great read. More suspense than romance but that is fine.
Kristin
Great book, loved the main characters, surprising ending
Phyllis
this was a good, suspensful book that had an interesting premise and it was a quick read.

A girl goes missing and is presumed dead and her killer put to death even though a body was never found. then 24 years later a dead body is found and it is concluded to be the same woman -- although she had only been dead for 8 hours when her body was found.

This book was more about solving the crimes than it was about the emotional impact of all of these things happening, and there were a few answers we did
Stacie
I discovered Mariah Stewart last year and have really enjoyed her books. First of all, I loved the storyline: a woman found dead had previously been declared dead (24 years earlier)! The book was fast moving, and had an overall well-developed plot. It was a nice mix of suspense, with just a little romance thrown in. I wish Stewart had developed a couple of the characters more, and I felt parts of the ending (no spoiler here) were a little unbelievable. Still, I'd recommend, and am starting book ...more
Melanie Chabrol-
I am no stranger to Mariah Stewart. This book kept me up most of the nights. Dorsey Collins has followed her dad's foot steps and became an FBI agent... she is not officially assigned to the case her dad had several years. What went wrong? Shannon Randall was pronounced dead 24 yrs ago. To find out that she showed up dead a few weeks ago. Agent Andrew Shields is incharge and Dorsey is there to tag along. Will they ever find out who did it and why? I can tell you I wad shocked.. a great puzzle my ...more
Steven Howes
Good murder mystery with an unusual plot line. A woman thought murdered 24 years ago now turns up dead for real. The person convicted of her murder in the original case has been executed. Two FBI agents try to solve both the original case and the current one. The story takes place near Savannah, GA and the two agents have dinner one evening at the Crab Shack on Tybee Island. I've been there and the food is very good and served in copious amounts.
Carla
Jul 27, 2011 Carla added it
This is a real page turner and head scratcher. The characters are unique and the plot draws the reader in. The love of a father and daughter are tested along with other familial bonds. How far does unconditional love last? How long does it take to heal deep emotional wounds? And more importantly who the heck killed this hooker and what happened so long ago? I suggest you pick it up and start reading to find out.
Megan
I really wanted to like this book more than I did. The case(s) were pretty complex and it just seemed like the FBI agents would talk about a couple scenarios, and with not much to go on, just decide which one to follow and low and behold, it was the right one. There were many times when I thought, "Ok, there's no way this was that easy." It held my attention, but at the end, things just ended up being too easy.
Marie
First time I read this author and it probably won't be the last. Although I am not out scrambling to locate some of her past books, if I come across one somewhere, I will no doubt pick it up. I enjoyed the style of writing and was thrilled to discover that the romance in this book was kept at a bare minimum. The mystery was interesting and the story flowed at a well rounded pace.
Marlene
A body is found and turns out to be the body of someone who they thought had died 24 years ago, but the body was fresh. Someone was executed for the "crime" 24 years ago, based on circumstantial evidence and no body. Now the FBI needed to find out how and why that happened long ago as well as who killed this person now. I found the book hard to put down; continual suspense.
Kathrynn
This was a good mystery that kept me in suspense until the end. There was a lot of mundane descriptions and that is why I gave it 4 stars. Overall, the book held my interest and I learned to jump over lengthy descriptions, recapping and how they held a piece of pizza in their hand during dinner. I do recommend this mystery.
Dawn ♥ romance
A good suspense story but very little romance. A very interesting plot setup and the investigation moved at a good pace with all the aspects it needed to uncover. A man is executed for a murder and 24 years later the victim is again found murdered. FBI agent Dorsey shadows fellow agent Andrew in the investigation.
  • Playing Dead (Prison Break Trilogy, #3)
  • Snapped (Tracers #4)
  • Edge of Midnight (Chasing Evil, #3)
  • Watch Me (Last Stand Series, #3)
  • Breakneck (Kitt Lundgren, #2)
  • Black at Heart (Black CATs, #3)
Mariah Stewart is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of twenty-six novels and three novellas and has been featured in the Wall Street Journal. She is a RITA finalist in romantic suspense and the recipient of the Award of Excellence for contemporary romance, a RIO Award for excellence in women's fiction, and a Reviewers Choice Award from Romantic Times Magazine. A three-time winner ...more
More about Mariah Stewart...

Last (3 books)
  • Last Words (Last #2)
  • Last Breath (Last #3)
Dead Certain (Dead #2) Mercy Street (Mercy Street, #1) Dead Wrong (Dead #1) Cold Truth (Truth #1) Acts of Mercy (Mercy Street #3)