Start by marking “Black Christmas” as Want to Read:
Black Christmas

Black Christmas

Christmas in Murdock.
A time of cozy safety, snowy sidewalks, and caroling children.
But this holiday season someone is bating Sheriff Dunsmore in a bizarre and deadly game.
Someone is stalking the young women he knows and loves...seducing them with icy steel...leaving them for him to find - far too late.
It's the night before Christmas.
The frightened town edges toward pa
Published December 1983 by Bantam (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Black Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Christmas

Kelly
Nov 29, 2012 Kelly rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
Note: I always assumed that the movie Black Christmas was created from this book, but I realized during the first couple of chapters that this was not the case.

Black Christmas takes place in a small town, in a blizzard, during the two days before Christmas, and begins with a teenage girl getting killed with an axe in the woods. More killings will follow as Sheriff Dunsmore searches for the killer and worries about his own teenage daughter and failing marriage. I correctly guessed who the killer
Grady Hendrix
Mar 13, 2015 Grady Hendrix rated it it was ok
Black Christmas shares a title with the original North American slasher movie, Black Christmas (1974), directed by Bob Clark (director of Porky’s and A Christmas Story) which had been novelized in 1976. However, this book by Thomas Altman (pseudonym of Campbell Armstrong, who wrote the novelizations of Dressed to Kill and Raiders of the Lost Ark) has nothing to do with the film besides a Christmas setting and a focus on young women getting murdered. Set in the upstate New York town of Murdock, a ...more
 Martin
Dec 26, 2013 Martin rated it really liked it
Well done. The perfect read for the Holidays, I think.
BRNTerri
Jul 29, 2016 BRNTerri rated it liked it

I should state that this novel has nothing to do with the 1974 film Black Christmas (though that was novelized in 1976 by Lee Hays).

This was fairly boring. Three young women from the same town are murdered at different times within a short period of time in the days leading up to Christmas, and a fourth was almost killed. It wasn't until shortly before the killer was revealed that I'd guessed who they were.

There were the usual suspects- ex-husband, odd boy in town, ect., neither of which turn
Adrian Lilly
Feb 28, 2016 Adrian Lilly rated it liked it
Well written but sadly disappointing resolution. I picked the book up, because I thought it might be related to the classic horror film, but it is not. The plot stands on its own...until the (not well masked) identity of the killer is revealed and the book descended into silliness. Sad for a book that was otherwise an enjoyable read.
Dawn
Oct 22, 2008 Dawn rated it really liked it
I read this book many years ago (early 80's), so I could not give an accurate review. I have it listed in my records as a "very good read". This was in the days that I mostly read horror books. My taste in books has changed over the years.
Ryan
Jan 10, 2016 Ryan added it
First read this about 17 years ago. A solid page turner. Honestly not sure how I'd feel about it now.
John
John rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2012
Marita
Marita rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2014
Sherri Clark
Sherri Clark rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2014
Fafy Osama
Fafy Osama rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2014
Mama D.
Mama D. rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2013
Arthur
Arthur rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2015
Tara Hogan
Tara Hogan rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2016
Michael Brown
Michael Brown rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2013
Marty
Marty rated it liked it
Dec 12, 2015
Aria
Aria rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2012
Quirkyreader
Quirkyreader rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2013
César Schreiber camilo
César Schreiber camilo rated it did not like it
Jul 16, 2013
Donna Thompson
Donna Thompson rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2015
Justin Spaulding
Justin Spaulding rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2015
Colleen Ray
Colleen Ray rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2012
June
June rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2007
Craig "NEEDS MORE DAMN TIME TO READ !!!!"
Good book.
Kimmyh
Kimmyh rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2013
Ross Renton
Ross Renton rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2013
Jack Tripper
Jack Tripper rated it it was ok
Feb 27, 2016
Nia Taryn
Nia Taryn rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2012
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2016
Pseudonym for Campbell Armstrong. Other pseudonyms are (Campbell Black and Jeffrey Campbell). He also wrote books under his real name. Campbell Armstrong was born in Glasgow. He has a degree in philosophy from the University of Sussex. He taught creative writing from 1971-74 at the State University of New York; from 1975-78 he taught at Arizona State University.

He disliked teaching immensely so, i
More about Thomas Altman...