Start by marking “Nursery Crimes” as Want to Read:
Nursery Crimes

Nursery Crimes

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Jambo and Marva, as they are known in America, emigrated from France to Iowa and opened up a small tree nursery, pumpkin patch, and salvage yard. They and their twelve little piglets were skilled topiarists. Every autumn, along with all of the other nurseries in the area, they sculpted giant turkey topiaries, for which there was a big demand.

One morning though, Jambo awoke

Published September 24th 2007 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published September 24th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Nursery Crimes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nursery Crimes

Megan
I'm not sure too many kids will enjoy or care about this story about a topiary thief. The book is about Thanksgiving, but the Jack-o-lanterns on the cover are misleading.
Eyehavenofilter
The pigs in this story won me over! They came from France and they are accomplished topiary artists! Can you imagine that? They also sell pumpkins on the side, at Halloween to keep a steady income of money coming in. But after clipping turkey topiary pine trees for Thanksgiving, they wake up the next day to find their trees have been stolen!
They follow footprints to the estate of Volpar ( a known thief ) but even with the help of the local Police they can't tell the trees apart. They head home
Paul Farbman
Mar 04, 2014 Paul Farbman rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Second-Third Grade
Recommended to Paul by: Terry Benton
Shelves: 00-in-class
This story follows the nighttime theft of turkey shaped bushes and carved jack-o-lanterns from a family or topiarers.

The technique utilized in these illustrations is copperplate etchings. This involves drawing the pictures with a needle. This makes for very detailed and interesting illustrations. Lines grouped closely together often represent shadows, colors provide warmth.
Leanna
After finishing Jasper Fforde’s Nursery Crime Division novel, I couldn’t resist picking up Arthur Geisert’s picture book Nursery Crimes.

In this case, the word nursery refers to a place where plants grow. A couple, Jambo and Marva, moves from France to Iowa to start a tree nursery. Unfortunately for the couple, and their twelve children, someone keeps stealing their topiaries. Jambo and Marva fret over money and plot to catch the thieves.

The storyline is rather serious—particularly when the coupl
Library
A fall seasonal book with Jack o' lanterns and a family of pigs that make topiaries shaped like turkeys. The story focuses on the theft of the topiaries but was drawn out and didn't hold my interest.
Skylar Burris
We picked this up in the Halloween holiday book section of the library, but it's really more of a Thanksgiving book (despite the jack-o-lanterns on the front). It might serve well as a cross-over holiday book, to be read the first week of November. It is a rather random and strange tale of pigs (with strange names, no less) who cut trees into the shape of turkeys, only to fall prey to topiary thieves. I think I don't like having to say the word "topiary" so many times when reading a children's b ...more
Heidi
I think the best part of this book is its title. Still makes me smile. The book had its moments of humor, but I still was a bit "uh, ok" about the book overall. It's not bad. I think it was me. Perhaps because I had hopes that this would work in a storytime. I think the book may be for older readers, considering some of the humor might not be gotten and some of the details are really small.
Taylor Troncin
This book was read for Wesley’s summer reading club. Wesley is my (soon to be five year old) son. This review is what we used for his reading club.
***

This was not the story Wesley and I were expecting. It was still pretty cute though.
***

This book might also be a nice one for a sense of diversity.
Libby
My 3 year old son asked me to read this over and over again. He was very curious about the concepts of "stealing", a "thief", and "jail"- which are brought up by this book. I would probably only give it 3 stars, but my son requested it sooo much that....
louisa
Whimsical, off children's book that makes me wonder about the pitch meeting. Loved more for the writing than the illustrations (copperplate etchings) though.
Natalie
A notorious topiary thief causes a family of farming pigs (of course it's a Geisert book)to defend their livelihood.
The Styling Librarian
This book was NOT what I expected. Stealing topiary turkeys in a mystery setting, very interesting.
Debbie Tanner
A mystery about topiary carving pigs. Short on clues and suspects. Not particularly wonderful.
Becky
Clever title. Lame illustrations. Limited character and plot development.
The Reading Countess
Pig topiarists are robbed. Um, okay...
Teri
My kids vote four stars.
Nicole Thomas
Nicole Thomas marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Joseph
Joseph added it
Sep 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Ice Hogwash Lights Out Oops Country Road ABC: An Illustrated Journey Through America's Farmland