Start by marking “Nursery Crimes” as Want to Read:
Nursery Crimes

Nursery Crimes

3.30  ·  Rating Details  ·  77 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Jambo and Marva emigrated from France to Iowa and opened a small tree nursery.They and their piglets were skilled topiarists. Every autumn, they sculpted giant turkey topiaries, for which there was a big demand. One morning, Jambo awoke to discover all of their turkeys stolen! Things looked grim, but Marva had a plan. Glowing etchings fill the pages with dramatic images of ...more
Published September 24th 2007 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published September 24th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Nursery Crimes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nursery Crimes

Kaitlyn Petkowski
"Nursery Crimes" by Arthur Geisert follows the story of a family of pigs. Each year, the family makes turkey shaped topiaries to sell to their neighbors. The family wakes up one morning to find that all of their hard work has been stolen. Without the income from the sales of the topiaries, the family will have a rough winter. The pigs must find who stole their hard work before Thanksgiving comes.

I chose this book because it was located in holiday section and labeled as halloween with pictures o
Megan
I'm not sure too many kids will enjoy or care about this story about a topiary thief. The book is about Thanksgiving, but the Jack-o-lanterns on the cover are misleading.
Eyehavenofilter
The pigs in this story won me over! They came from France and they are accomplished topiary artists! Can you imagine that? They also sell pumpkins on the side, at Halloween to keep a steady income of money coming in. But after clipping turkey topiary pine trees for Thanksgiving, they wake up the next day to find their trees have been stolen!
They follow footprints to the estate of Volpar ( a known thief ) but even with the help of the local Police they can't tell the trees apart. They head home
Paul Farbman
Mar 04, 2014 Paul Farbman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Second-Third Grade
Recommended to Paul by: Terry Benton
Shelves: 00-in-class
This story follows the nighttime theft of turkey shaped bushes and carved jack-o-lanterns from a family or topiarers.

The technique utilized in these illustrations is copperplate etchings. This involves drawing the pictures with a needle. This makes for very detailed and interesting illustrations. Lines grouped closely together often represent shadows, colors provide warmth.
Leanna
Dec 12, 2007 Leanna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After finishing Jasper Fforde’s Nursery Crime Division novel, I couldn’t resist picking up Arthur Geisert’s picture book Nursery Crimes.

In this case, the word nursery refers to a place where plants grow. A couple, Jambo and Marva, moves from France to Iowa to start a tree nursery. Unfortunately for the couple, and their twelve children, someone keeps stealing their topiaries. Jambo and Marva fret over money and plot to catch the thieves.

The storyline is rather serious—particularly when the coupl
Library
Nov 16, 2014 Library rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
A fall seasonal book with Jack o' lanterns and a family of pigs that make topiaries shaped like turkeys. The story focuses on the theft of the topiaries but was drawn out and didn't hold my interest.
The Brothers
An interesting story about a family of pigs who are topiarists. They create turkey topiaries for the fall season, but they end up being stolen. They know who stole them, but they need some proof to have the thief brought to justice. The mom pig comes up with a good plan to capture the thieves.

Really neat, interesting illustrations.
Janis
Not as promising as the enticing title.
Michael Fitzgerald
Not one of Geisert's best.
Skylar Burris
We picked this up in the Halloween holiday book section of the library, but it's really more of a Thanksgiving book (despite the jack-o-lanterns on the front). It might serve well as a cross-over holiday book, to be read the first week of November. It is a rather random and strange tale of pigs (with strange names, no less) who cut trees into the shape of turkeys, only to fall prey to topiary thieves. I think I don't like having to say the word "topiary" so many times when reading a children's b ...more
Heidi
I think the best part of this book is its title. Still makes me smile. The book had its moments of humor, but I still was a bit "uh, ok" about the book overall. It's not bad. I think it was me. Perhaps because I had hopes that this would work in a storytime. I think the book may be for older readers, considering some of the humor might not be gotten and some of the details are really small.
Taylor Troncin
This book was read for Wesley’s summer reading club. Wesley is my (soon to be five year old) son. This review is what we used for his reading club.
***

This was not the story Wesley and I were expecting. It was still pretty cute though.
***

This book might also be a nice one for a sense of diversity.
Libby
Jan 30, 2012 Libby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My 3 year old son asked me to read this over and over again. He was very curious about the concepts of "stealing", a "thief", and "jail"- which are brought up by this book. I would probably only give it 3 stars, but my son requested it sooo much that....
louisa
Whimsical, off children's book that makes me wonder about the pitch meeting. Loved more for the writing than the illustrations (copperplate etchings) though.
Natalie
Nov 14, 2007 Natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A notorious topiary thief causes a family of farming pigs (of course it's a Geisert book)to defend their livelihood.
Amy
May 25, 2012 Amy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
Meh. Cheryl in CC NV's review says it all.
The Styling Librarian
This book was NOT what I expected. Stealing topiary turkeys in a mystery setting, very interesting.
Debbie Tanner
A mystery about topiary carving pigs. Short on clues and suspects. Not particularly wonderful.
Becky
Aug 21, 2014 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scanned-books
Clever title. Lame illustrations. Limited character and plot development.
The Reading Countess
Pig topiarists are robbed. Um, okay...
Teri
Dec 04, 2013 Teri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My kids vote four stars.
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Aaron
Aaron added it
May 28, 2016
James Carey
James Carey marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Sylvia Crum
Sylvia Crum rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2016
John Martz
John Martz marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Agne
Agne added it
Mar 07, 2016
Walker Memorial
Walker Memorial marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016