Start by marking “Almost Forever” as Want to Read:
Almost Forever

Almost Forever (Spencer-Nyle Co #2)

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,768 Ratings  ·  96 Reviews
She didn't let any man close enough. He didn't let anything get in the way of his job leading corporate takeovers. But he needed information and planned to seduce her. It was simple, until his loyalties were put to the test and she dared to let down her defenses. Now they're playing for the highest stakes of all.
Published July 1st 1986 by Harlequin Books (first published January 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Almost Forever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Almost Forever

Blacky *Romance Addict*

I am torn when it comes to this book.

On one side there is:

Linda Howard  photo 279453.gif

The main guy being a jerk  photo 3402580550.gif

The plot being awesome, with him deceiving her about his identity to get business information  photo 963779.gif

Seeing Rome and Sarah (characters from previous book) almost made me cry  photo 468813.gif

But then on the other side:

Again, the classic LH insta-love, and I mean uber-uber insta-love  photo 927261665.gif

Loads of scenes that go like this:

"You are such a jerk"
"Oh yeah? We'll see about that!"
And then he kissed her savagely!

or like this:

"I hate you
Mo
Apr 30, 2014 Mo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

… he studied the photograph: the woman was a pretty, dark-eyed blonde, but no great beauty. There was a reserved expression in her dark eyes.

This book is 20 years old. Is it dated? I suppose it is in a way. The clothing descriptions, no mobile phones. But Linda is a
Dee
I got a little cross with Max's actions and knew he would have to be pretty darn special to redeem himself but I am afraid he just wasn't. To make it even worse when Claire refused to be understanding and accept his apology he had the cheek to be upset with her about it, in fact he very much reminded me of a bully! Instead of romancing Claire and trying to gain back his trust he basically bullies her into bed and effectively tells her to just get over it and that she was gonna marry him. It's no ...more
Jane Stewart
I loved it. Great story. The author had interesting plot and characters that were refreshing.

I did not predict some of the details that would happen. This book was very enjoyable, creative and different from the typical romance novel. I thoroughly enjoyed it and recommend it. I don't want to give anything away because it is more fun to read without knowing what will happen. But I will provide the beginning of the plot, which is included on the back cover of the book. The setting is current day c
Emily
Mar 10, 2011 Emily rated it did not like it
Max Conroy is sent by his boss to gather information about Bronson Alloys in order to facilitate a takeover. He identifies Claire Westbrook as the 'weak link' in the company, the secretary to Bronson himself. Max intends to seduce Claire and get the information out of her, or at least gain access to the office files. What he doesn't count on is finding her 'challenging' and 'attractive' and, of course, 'falling for her.'
Initially as Max gets to know Claire he is charming and kind, coaxing her ou
Indah Threez Lestari
437th - 2011

Nggak suka heroine-nya. Begi banget... membocorkan rahasia perusahaan begitu saja tanpa diminta sama cowok nggak dikenal. Nggak ada gosip lain buat dishare apa?

- beli obral dari ibu kost -
Jae
The style is definitely dated but I was mostly okay with the 80's vibe (I'm quite fond of Ye Olde Skool). My main problem was with the ending. Manly McStuddmuffin kept withholding information and Retiring Violetinksy kept rolling over for him. (view spoiler) ...more
Jasha Gutierrez
FIVE BLAZING STARS!

"I've been going half-crazy, wanting you," he muttered rawly. "I know this was too fast, that you weren't ready for it, but I don't regret it. You're mine. Don't try to run away from me, love; stay with me tonight."

I love how Linda creates a satisfying and interesting plot worth pursuing and checking out for! Her stories has everything i want DOWN to the next level! I dont know, maybe i found my writer soul-mate who matches my taste in stories, character, love, thrill and
Ms Fine
Oct 24, 2012 Ms Fine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Max Conroy didn't let anything get in the way of his job—and his job was to lead a corporate takeover. But to do it, he needed information, the kind the lovely Claire Westbrook could provide. All he had to do was seduce her....
But when Claire dared to let down her defenses and open her heart to him, Max found his loyalties put to the ultimate test. Now his biggest risk wasn't a business deal, but what would happen when Claire discovered the truth.

----------------
I bought Almost Forever by Linda
Amanda Sheila
Sep 03, 2015 Amanda Sheila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved it!

I loved it better than Sarah's Child, because the ending is satisfying! Even though I really feel that Max in this book is a complete different person, I still enjoyed it. Linda Howard has a way of creating real and relatable characters. I feel like Claire, because I find her actions and her choices similar with mine. I love how vulnerable yet strong she is. Max.. Well, what can I say, even though he's being the "bad guy" here, he's still one of my favorite Hero.

Overall, this book is
Aarann
This is another Linda Howard favorite that I decided to re-read. It's a loose sequel to "Sarah's Child", a WTF-ery filled funfest if there ever was one. I prefer this a lot to its predecessor, mostly because it doesn't feature weird, selfish protagonists. Well, it does a bit, I suppose, at least in the sense that any romance main character has the capacity for selfishness, but Sarah's Child was a special level of selfish. Another reason I prefer this one though is because I just plain like Max b ...more
Nishtha
This is not my idea of fun. I tried to like the story but the hero was a kind of bully.

Max comes in Claire's life to gain some information. He woos and dates her to get her out of her security zone. When at last she comes out of it, and Max has that information, the truth suddenly is out. Of course Claire is angry but her reaction didn't suffice.
The story is whether she will forgive him or go back inside her shell.

Spoiler
( We all know what happens. The hero bullies her throughout the book. I
Adriana Fogaça
Jul 07, 2013 Adriana Fogaça rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spencer-Nyle Co. 2/3
Quase Eterno
Linda Howard
H.R. Romance 51
2011

Antes de qualquer coisa, considero este livro recomendadíssimo.

É indiscutível que Linda Howard sabe como poucas, escrever um romance. Vide a Saga Família Mackenzie. Ela consegue nos prender a atenção com esses homens maravilhosos e prepotentes e com mocinhas sensíveis e apaixonadas (não bobas ou cegas).

Por isso acho que quando um novo livro de Linda Howard é editado ou por ventura um velho livro cair em suas mãos, procure dar atenção
Sue
Feb 09, 2015 Sue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
I read the sequel because the first book of the series was pretty good, this book wasn't as good. But the characters were pretty likable. But it was easy to put down, which tells me I can't rate over 3 stars.
Kristin
This book is the ultimate insta-love story which was its biggest drawback for me. While the premise of the story was entertaining and reminded me slightly of a (very) distilled version of Paradise, solely based on the fact that both feature a hostile corporate takeover and were written in the late 80s/early 90s. While Paradise was a favorite for me, this story was just lacking the same sense of really getting to know the characters and watching their love blossom.

Claire is an executive assistan
Avery
Mar 14, 2016 Avery rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes a full-of-themselves jerk
I kept trying to to like the story, but I couldn't.

I'm okay with alpha-males, but I DID NOT LIKE Max.

But I think my BIGGEST issue with this story was my dislike of Claire. She was a doormat, and she let Max make all of the decisions. I think that, had Claire been sassy and strong, that she could have made a good counterpoint for Max. Max is too powerful, and he needs someone who can, for lack of a gentler phrase, take him down a peg or two on occasion. Had Claire been tougher, I think I could
Ren
Ceritanya khas HQ banget.
Ya iyalah, ini emang HQ gitu ngakak.
Tapi udah lupa sih ceritanya, lebih kayak intrik perusahaan gitu, terus ini ternyata bukunya lanjutannya Sarah's Child, makanya tau aja udah ada Sarah yang dah hidup bahagia sama Rome dan punya anak. Cuma emang ga baca Sarah's Child, soalnya gw ga tega #apacoba

Yang diinget paling cuma adegan pas di meja aja, kikikikik. Kalo adegan tertentu pasti deh itu aja yang dihapal :P
Valerie
Apr 13, 2016 Valerie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
She fell in love with him way too soon. I've noticed this a few times with this author: love seems to happen too fast and often out of the blue. In this particular book, she realizes she's in love with the guy the third time she sees him... Third freaking time. First time was for all but maybe ten sentences exchanged; second was for a couple of hours while apartment hunting; and third was at her parents for another couple hours. Too soon. Too unrealistic.

And the whole thing is based on them not
Monica
Feb 25, 2014 Monica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
We met Max Conroy in Sarah's Child which I had read more than once. Unfortunately, I couldn't love Max like I love Rome Matthews. I couldn't describe it but for me, Max is just too arrogant, too selfish and too demanding. The plot is actually quite interesting and it always reminds me why I love Linda Howard's books. She can keep me interested in the story even if I did not like the main characters.
Jaz
It dragged here and there but there was enough spark for me not to give up. Not a riveting read and I wouldn't recommend it particularly. A nice read all the same.
Mainly read bc as a Linda Howards fan I need to read all her stuff even if its crap..
Riana
Jan 30, 2016 Riana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read first in 2007
Re-read a few times between 2007 and 2010
re-read again, in 2011 for the battle game ;)
New reading : July 2015 and still awesome.
Mimna
ชอบมากๆ ชอบพลอตบีบหัวใจจีดๆ อยางนี
แตหักไ 1.5 ดาวเพราะนางเอกยอมใหอภัยงายเกินไป
เปนเราตองใหพระเอกคุกเขา/รองไหขอโทษโนน ถึงจะยอม
Ariana
Sep 07, 2011 Ariana rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It pissed me off, the first book I've read where I disliked both the hero and heroine.
Angelica Taggart
Airplane book - just distracting enough to make the flight shorter
Nikki
Apr 16, 2008 Nikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is such a sweet book. It makes you want to marry a English man.
Cruth
Author: Linda Howard
First published: 1986
Length: 3173 kindle locations.
Setting: Contemporary. Dallas and Houston, Texas.
Sex: Reasonably explicit, fairly frequent.
Hero: Right hand man to CEO of Spencer-Nyle.
Heroine: Secretary to owner of Bronson Alloy.
Trigger: Heroine had a miscarriage at the end of her marriage/divorce. But as no one else seems to care, it doesn't play much of a role in the book.

This M&B has aged very painfully.

So here’s what happens.
(view spoiler)
ceecee
Mar 13, 2015 ceecee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd like to start by saying that I loved this book so much that now I'm trying to get this book in hardcover so that I can add it to by library. I love books and this one was a keeper.

This book is in a series and I haven't read the other book yet, but I can't wait to read it.

Their were many parts in this book that made me cringe, want to cry, and laugh. Claire Westerbrook is a beautiful woman who feels like she's below average. She feels like she can't compete with the females in her family or t
Holly
This is the second book in the Spencer-Nyle series. The first book is Almost Forever. While I am ambivalent about Sarah's Child, the first book, I really enjoy this one.

We first meet Max in Sarah's Child. He is vying for the affection of Sarah, much to Rome's disgust. He comes off as a sweet playboy. In this book we realize there is more to him. He's intense and driven, and willing to go after what he wants.

Claire Westbrook learned her lesson about handsome playboys the hard way. With a failed
Ashley
I really liked Sarah's Child. It was my first Linda Howard novel. Becoming so fond of the Spencer-Nyle Co. first installment, I figured I have to read the second. Did I like it? Of course! I truly admire Linda Howard's style of writing. Each page of the book is like a progressing day. It's like reading the journal of the hero and heroine, and it truly helped me understand the characters more.

Linda Howard creates remarkable and intriguing characters. I was fascinated with Rome and Sarah; Rome wi
Gramedia Pustaka Utama
Awalnya Claire Westbrook dimanfaatkan untuk menjadi mata rantai lemah dalam pengambilalihan perusahaan Bronson Alloy. Max Benedict yang ditugaskan dalam pengambilalihan perusahaan berusaha untuk mendekati Claire agar mendapatkan informasi. Max yang menawarkan pertemanan disambut baik oleh Claire.
Semenjak perceraiannya dengan Jeff Halsey, Claire menutup diri pada kehidupan sosialnya, karena dia tidak mau terluka untuk kedua kalinya. Tapi semenjak bertemu Max dia merasa berbeda.
Tapi ketika tiba
  • Beloved (Long, Tall Texans, #19)
  • Tiger Prince
  • Raintree: Sanctuary (Raintree, #3)
  • Upon a Midnight Clear: The Teacher / Christmas Magic / Jolly Holly / If Only in My Dreams / White Out
  • Lelaki Dalam Ingatan
  • Don't Look Down (Samantha Jellicoe, #2)
  • My Pleasure (The Rose Hunters Trilogy #2)
  • The Promise
  • Amber by Night (Silhouette Desire #1495)
  • Angel of Darkness
  • The Adventurer (Ladies and Legends, #2)

Linda S. Howington is an American best-selling romance author writing under the pseudonym Linda Howard. After 21 years of penning stories for her own enjoyment, she submitted a novel for publication which was very successful. Her first work was published by Silhouette in 1982. She is a charter member of Romance
More about Linda Howard...

Spencer-Nyle Co (3 books)
  • Sarah's Child (Spencer-Nyle Co, #1)
  • Bluebird Winter (Spencer-Nyle Co #3)