Start by marking “The Shattered Crown (Steelhaven, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Shattered Crown (Steelhaven, #2)

The Shattered Crown (Steelhaven #2)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  250 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Heroes must rise...

The King is dead. His daughter, untested and alone, now wears the Steel Crown. And a vast horde is steadily carving a bloody road south, hell-bent on razing Steelhaven to the ground...or the city will fall.

Before the city faces the terror that approaches, it must crush the danger already lurking within its walls. But will the cost of victory be as devas
Published April 22nd 2014 by Headline (first published March 13th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Shattered Crown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shattered Crown

Lee
Jun 01, 2014 Lee rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
Without doubt, one of the best book 2's I have ever had the enjoyment of reading. This has become a wonderful series and one that I am enjoying immensely. Whilst I found book one a little slow in the beginning, all of that world and character building is starting to pay off as the story begins to develop into a fascinating adventure.
This book has a lot of what I like in my fantasy, great character building and then development, a rich over view of the world, some political intrigue, twisted sub
Mark
Honestly one of the best book 2s you ever read. None of the filler we normally get to move us on too book 3.

all of the characters are maturing into likeable interesting people.

the tension is measured and we kept interested and guessing till the end, starting to wonder if its a 3 book series or more with all the new plotlines and new characters inserted.

so its a must read the same as the first book.
Libros Prohibidos
2,5/5
Segunda parte a remolque de la predecesora que, en mi opinión, empobrece el global de la trilogía, y que si no se lleva peor valoración es debido al interés suscitado por el desenlace en el tercer y último libro. Paradójicamente, esto hace que las ganas de completar la saga (y las de asesinar) aumenten.
Reseña completa:

Phil
Writing 4/5
Imagination 4/5
Plot 5/5
Setting 4/5
Characters 5/5

My Overall Enjoyment 5/5

"Many more deaths." is how this second book in the Steelhaven series ends, and how appropriate for a book that makes you crave to find out more about it's excellent cast of characters. This is one of the best books I have read this year, and one of the best in the grimdark genre. The author accomplishes more in 400 pages than many do in twice as many. Richard Ford has become one of my favorite authors with this bo
Liviu
Herald of the Storm was a surprise hit of 2013 with its mixing of the familiar with a somewhat outrageous twisting of it in the various story-lines that follow the multiple (and wonderfully diverse in all ways) cast.

I was wondering a little if that was a one time trick only as there is a clear logic to the "usual" fantasy storyline (whether new gritty and ambiguous or older traditional with clear sides) and what reads new in a first series novel can look gimmicky and become tired fast in a seco
Stretch's Books
Richard Ford has crafted the best book 2 of a series I have read in a long time. My disappointment at having to read a paperback aside, I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to book three.

The character development is excellent. It's action packed from beginning to end. "The Shattered Crown", like I said, is the best book 2 in a long time.

Let's see if John Gwynne's "Valour" beats it. Shall we?
Jasper
Originally posted at: http://thebookplank.blogspot.com/2014...

A short while ago I read Richard Ford's first book in the Steelhaven series, Herald of the Storm, this strong character driven book won me over from the start and got me quite eager for the sequel. Richard Ford managed to create an interesting "grimdark" fantasy setting and just as the title of the book, Richard Ford heralded a storm, a storm so powerful that only leaves one question remaining, will Steelhaven survive?

Just a not up fr
Ruth
c2014: FWFTB: daughter, untested, Sentinels, Wyvern, hammer. Sometimes, the second book in a series does not live up to the first and this must play on the minds of the relevant authors and publishers. Not so in this case. It's another great instalment with a few unexpected plot elements. The only reason that I did not do a fab five star is that there was no map and - even worse- not even a hint as to what has happened before. I am not sure why this is constantly allowed to happen. Perhaps it is ...more
Phil
I suppose its something you have to accept when you're on a publishers mailing list, getting a book that is part of a series or trilogy. I know of Richard Ford - members of the same forum - and I know of Klutus his first novel. But until I received The Shattered Crown in the post I'd never heard of the Steelhaven trilogy. But even so I still decided to give it a go without any foreknowledge.

Its the mark of a good author that you can pick up the middle book of a trilogy and not feel lost. Even th
Milo (Bane of Kings)
A very good follow up. Some good character work and a good pace. Recommended - full review coming closer to publication date.
Arve Kvaloy
Good series with interesting chars, not so many point of views in the second installment an a increase in pace was very beneficial to the story. Epic fantasy about a besieged city of the more gritty and grim variant. Thanks to http://grimdark-fantasy-reader.blogsp... for pointing this one out :)
Francis
¡¡¡Cuidado¡¡¡
Si no has leído el anterior¡¡¡¡¡

En Steelhaven todo ha cambiado desde que comenzamos con esta maravillosa aventura épica.
Ahora Janessa es la reina y debe anteponer a su amor su propio reino. Deberá entablar relaciones con comerciantes, empresarios y otros señores que llenen sus arcas para la batalla que se acerca. Las hordas del sur cada vez están más cerca y el Gremio de ladrones de Steelhaven va a hacer todo lo posible para acabar con la Coro
Mieneke
Last year I was quite taken with Herald of the Storm , the first book in the Steelhaven trilogy, so I was very much looking forward to this second instalment called The Shattered Crown. I liked the setting, the tone of the first novel, and the fact that there were many different flavours of type of story in the book. On the other hand I had some difficulties with the pacing and some of the characters. I was hoping that Ford would improve on the points I found lacking and keep everything I liked ...more
K-dizzle
Just like its predecessor...book 2 of the Steelhaven series is alive with action. We delve a little deeper into the souls of our favorite characters, are introduced to new magics and new creatures with a unique point of view and even a little insight into the threat looming on the horizon. Mr Ford continues to impress with well-written, strong, female characters whose vulnerability is well balanced with their fortitude. Can't wait to start the next one.
David
A fine instalment of the Steelhaven trilogy. After the "heralding" of book one, this sequel ramps up the pressure and the atmosphere. Ford is very strong on plot; whilst his characters sometimes seem familiar, recognisable fantasy mainstreams this is not really a weakness as they do not always stick to the rules and do what you might expect. There is barely time to gather breath as hectic yet finely crafted events come thick and fast. By the conclusion it's all set up nicely for the final novel ...more
Riki
While this is a 5-star book, this is a very difficult book to review, which is often the case for any book 2 in a trilogy, but even more so when the trilogy is clearly more like one long book instead of 3 separate books. There's not really much to say here that's different from my review of book 1, but it bears mentioning that by this point I love every single character. At first I wasn't sure about the introduction of Regulus, a new character viewpoint, but I quickly enjoyed his storyline as we ...more
Wolf
Ford's first Steelhaven book delivered fast paced and exciting action. The action and adventure was sufficiently gripping that it was easy to overlook the flaws - weak character development, too many changes of viewpoint and a fantasy backdrop that never came fully to life - because the reader was bowled along by the multiple frantic plot strands. This - the second book - offers rather less by way of constant action and, as a result, the problems, the same as before, are more obvious.

The action
Amanda
I couldn't put it down and was sad when I finished.
Jack Davis
Moves on from book one, which introduced you to the multiple characters and builds on that with aplomb, although, the story is central throughout, the development of each character is compelling and stages you in. An absolute must read for fantasy lovers.
David Mackinnon
I wish i could give this book more stars. i really really liked this book and i am looking forward to the next one
Siddharth Singh
The epitome of character driven storytelling. Many characters are placed in different settings and from the turn of events they connect and become tied by one purpose.
Todd
Well.... it's hard to give a fair rating when I downside of a book is finishing and feeling the book was too short. I'm very impressed with this series, the characters are a great mix of a likeable motley crew facing impossible odds.
ABC
The Shattered Crown was better than The Herald of the Storm. The plot was already started from last time, and the characters were more interesting. Except for Nobul Jacks who was a jerk.
I like Waylian even more this time, and his plot line was most certainly my favorite. (view spoiler)
Merrick and Kaira were still very cool, and Janessa did some awesome things.
Regulus, the newly introduced
David Hunt
Something is clearly wrong with me, as I have rated this a five. Original - no. Enjoyable - hell, yes.
Morgan
This series just keeps getting better and better, looking forward to reading more of it.
Simon
This picks off from where the 1st book left off, with the same large cast of characters. While I enjoyed this a bit more, the main plot and characters don't advance too much the standard troupes are still there. In terms of the recent generic fantasy series, I think Malice does it better.

Regardless, The Stattered Crown was a good follow up Herald of the Storm and setup what appears to be an epic conclusion.
Lukas Lovas
About the same as the previous book. It took some time to get interesting...but then it was fun. I truly want to know what happens next, and I didn't like the cliffhanger of this book....but....I liked it. Can't help it. Not the best, but a nice specimen of dark fantasy genre.
Rick
Good book, even quite a bit better than the first, quite an accomplishment!
Robert Heather
Great piece of fantasy pulp...
Barry Cosgrave
3 and a half stars. Not as good as the first , gets better in 2nd half of book after slow start
  • The Scarlet Tides (Moontide Quartet #2)
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen #2)
  • Sword of the North (The Grim Company, #2)
  • She Who Waits (Low Town, #3)
  • Veil of the Deserters (Bloodsounder's Arc, #2)
  • The Dark Blood (Long War, #2)
  • The Widow's House (The Dagger and the Coin, #4)
  • The Tower Broken (Tower and Knife Trilogy, #3)
  • The Shadow Throne (The Shadow Campaigns, #2)
  • This Forsaken Earth (The Sea Beggars, #2)
  • The Dark Defiles (A Land Fit for Heroes, #3)
  • The Last Bastion (Gallow, #3)
  • The Grave Thief (Twilight Reign, #3)
  • The Price of Faith (The Ties That Bind, #3)
  • The Dread Wyrm (The Traitor Son Cycle, #3)
Richard Ford originally hails from Leeds in the heartland of Yorkshire but now resides in Wiltshire, where he can now be found frolicking by the Thames, drinking cider and singing songs about combine harvesters.
More about Richard Ford...

Steelhaven (3 books)
  • Herald of the Storm (Steelhaven, #1)
  • Lord of Ashes (Steelhaven, #3)
Herald of the Storm (Steelhaven, #1) Lord of Ashes (Steelhaven, #3) Kultus Noble Sacrifice (Pathfinder Tales) The Dragons of Lencia (Lone Wolf: Chronicles of Magnamund)