Start by marking “Shadow in Hawthorn Bay” as Want to Read:
Shadow in Hawthorn Bay

Shadow in Hawthorn Bay

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  276 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
A classic children’s book for every Canadian family to treasure for all time – a story of mystery and young love in a richly detailed Canadian historical setting.

From the winner of the Governor General’s Award for Children’s Literature comes one of Canada’s best-loved, bestselling books for young readers.

In the award-winning follow-up to the beloved children’s classic, The
Published August 28th 2001 by Seal Books (first published April 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Shadow in Hawthorn Bay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadow in Hawthorn Bay

Falina
Oct 27, 2013 Falina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book reminded me of why I often prefer children's books to adult books. Even when the characters undergo challenges and heartache, they're just somehow more uplifting than so many adult books, especially "classics" which a lot of the time seem to be about people slowly mentally disintegrating.

Favourite quote:
"My heart can never truly leave those hills, Luke. I know I must live with that sadness but I know that I do not have to live as though burdened by a heavy cloak soaked in rain. I can
Jessica
One of my favorite books in grade school/junior high. It was very interesting to read about the contrast between life in mid-1800's Scotland and Canada. I always assumed that the settlers brought their own ways with them, but Mary soon finds that her clothes are wrong, her way of working is wrong, and she doesn't have the skills she needs for life on the Canadian frontier. Also, what do you do when you've traveled across an ocean for someone, and they aren't there when you arrive? Her aunt and u ...more
Ronica Stromberg
This is a strange novel. I've never read anything quite like it although the atmosphere of the novel reminded me faintly of Wuthering Heights.

The winner of several Canadian awards for children's literature, Shadow in Hawthorn Bay is set in 1815 Scotland and Upper Canada. Fifteen-year-old Mary Urquhart sees visions from the future and hears voices. When she hears the voice of her first cousin, Duncan, calling to her from Canada, she leaves Scotland and makes the sea voyage to Canada to be with hi
Anoush Emrazian
Nov 06, 2014 Anoush Emrazian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mairi has a special burden--the second sight. She can see sometimes the past, sometimes the future and when she's 15, she hears her cousin and childhood friend calling for help all the way to Scotland from Upper Canada. Mairi has to go help.

The journey is hard and long and leaves her destitute. She finds kind people who help her as she tries to come to terms with her cousin's relentless calling for help in Mairi's mind.

The people in this book are lovely. Luke, Mairi's first acquaintance in the a
Gale
Aug 11, 2013 Gale rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
HAUNTED IN THE NEW WOLRD BY HER DARK COUSIN

This dark fantasy does not approach Lunn's superb THE ROOT CELLAR, but proves an interesting read all the same. Two cousins in 19th century Scotland, born the same week, grow up inseparable. Despite their different temperaments and appearance, Mairi and Duncan are two halves of one coin; they vow at age 11 to remain of couple for ever. Then Duncan's family decides to emigrate to Upper Canada, a move which threatens to tear assunder the unique bond that
April Potter
Very well written, creepy and lovely at the same time. It really gets the dull, boring, side of living the pioneer life, as well as the poetry and excitement of starting something new at the same time. Definitely recommend.
Celticoracle
It's been so many years since I read this book that I feel weird giving it a star rating without revisiting it - but I know I read it and re-read it many times in my youth. I even used it in a university essay.
Sarah Clough
Feb 20, 2014 Sarah Clough rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this as a youngster. I just re-read it on the hunt for a particular book. It wasn't the one I was looking for, but I found it moving and worthwhile even at the age of 34.
Marlies
Jul 06, 2015 Marlies rated it really liked it
Spirits. Dark woods. Mysterious voices. Canadian history. What's not to like about this YA book?
Sally
Mary in Scotland has a dream that her cousin Duncan needs her. Problem #1, he's in Canada. Problem #2, it's the 1800s so she can't just hop on a plane or call him - she has to get herself onto a boat for three or so months and keep her fingers crossed that he's still alive when she arrives! Interesting tale, that really shows the troubles of keeping in contact with people in times before ours.
Nanna
Sep 28, 2011 Nanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
This is a re-read of a book I loved in my youth. I decided to re-read it for research for the next novel I plan to write. Gorgeous writing, engaging story. Definitely more middle grade than YA. I remember it being very scary when I read it as a child, but definitely that wasn't the case now. It still didn't detract from my enjoyment of this fast read.
Kristen Smith
Aug 10, 2012 Kristen Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A story of how a young woman comes to find herself. A nice love story. A nice family history. It's one of those I like to reread every few years. I would say 11/12 and up due to matter-of-fact sexual innuendo involving secondary characters. Also deals with suicide. Read it before letting your kids under 13 read it.
Joanna
Jul 28, 2008 Joanna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
not half as good as it's precedent, The Hollow Tree. Uses witchcraft, if i recall right... i only skipped through it to see if the main charectors were the same. They werent.

i had ot atleast give it a two star, b/c of who it's author is. =)
Krystyne
Apr 17, 2015 Krystyne rated it really liked it
It started off a bit slow but then I got completely immersed in the story. Well written book. I liked the Canadian history in the background. The romance was an added spark to the story.
Blythe
Feb 03, 2015 Blythe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites, ya
I read this book in grade 6 - and many many years later I still think of its haunting tale. A beautifully told story, that stuck in the mind of a 12 year old reader.
Fragilemuse
Jun 25, 2012 Fragilemuse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the most haunting and memorable books I read as a child. I revisit every couple years and it never ceases to give me chills.
Ashley
Jul 27, 2011 Ashley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Would recommend this book to young adults or even older adults. the story is timeless and touching. Speaks a lot about the power of human action.
Erin
Nov 02, 2013 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books when I was in grade six. I remember feeling actually frightened about what could happen to the main character.
Georgina
The characters were a bit stiff at times (especially Mary) but the story turned out well all the same.
Hpitcher
the best book that i had to read for school. still not great
Nightfalltwen
Feb 26, 2009 Nightfalltwen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I read this back in grade six. I remember liking it back then.
Feb 23, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting book, very well written.
Abby Rose
Abby Rose marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Mollie
Mollie marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Emily Ann
Emily Ann rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Sarah rated it really liked it
Aisaru
Aisaru marked it as to-read
Rayna Gausnell
Rayna Gausnell marked it as to-read
  • Losing Joe's Place
  • Solstice Magic (A Calgary Stampede Adventure, #1)
  • A Victorian Christmas
  • The Gravesavers
  • Haunted
  • Awake and Dreaming
  • Hero of Lesser Causes
  • The Dark Garden
  • Devil on My Back (Arc One, #1)
  • The Nine Days Queen (Beneath the Crown, #1)
  • Graffiti Knight
  • Forbidden City
  • The Burning Time
  • Wanton Wives: An Anthology of Regency Erotic Short Stories
  • Sweetgrass
  • From Anna
  • Strange Heaven
  • Mortebouse (Lou!, #2)
Janet was born Janet Louise Swoboda on December 28, 1928 in Dallas, Texas, U.S.A, moved to Vermont when she was two and lived there until she was ten when the family moved to the outskirts of New York City. She came to Canada in 1946 to go to Notre Dame College in Ottawa and then to Queen's University in Kingston, Ontario. There she met and married Richard Lunn, a fellow student. She has lived in ...more
More about Janet Lunn...