Start by marking “Shadow in Hawthorn Bay” as Want to Read:
Shadow in Hawthorn Bay

Shadow in Hawthorn Bay

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  242 ratings  ·  19 reviews
A classic children’s book for every Canadian family to treasure for all time – a story of mystery and young love in a richly detailed Canadian historical setting.

From the winner of the Governor General’s Award for Children’s Literature comes one of Canada’s best-loved, bestselling books for young readers.

In the award-winning follow-up to the beloved children’s classic, The
Published August 28th 2001 by Seal Books (first published April 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Shadow in Hawthorn Bay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadow in Hawthorn Bay

Falina
This book reminded me of why I often prefer children's books to adult books. Even when the characters undergo challenges and heartache, they're just somehow more uplifting than so many adult books, especially "classics" which a lot of the time seem to be about people slowly mentally disintegrating.

Favourite quote:
"My heart can never truly leave those hills, Luke. I know I must live with that sadness but I know that I do not have to live as though burdened by a heavy cloak soaked in rain. I can
Jessica
One of my favorite books in grade school/junior high. It was very interesting to read about the contrast between life in mid-1800's Scotland and Canada. I always assumed that the settlers brought their own ways with them, but Mary soon finds that her clothes are wrong, her way of working is wrong, and she doesn't have the skills she needs for life on the Canadian frontier. Also, what do you do when you've traveled across an ocean for someone, and they aren't there when you arrive? Her aunt and u ...more
Anoush Emrazian
Mairi has a special burden--the second sight. She can see sometimes the past, sometimes the future and when she's 15, she hears her cousin and childhood friend calling for help all the way to Scotland from Upper Canada. Mairi has to go help.

The journey is hard and long and leaves her destitute. She finds kind people who help her as she tries to come to terms with her cousin's relentless calling for help in Mairi's mind.

The people in this book are lovely. Luke, Mairi's first acquaintance in the a
Gale
HAUNTED IN THE NEW WOLRD BY HER DARK COUSIN

This dark fantasy does not approach Lunn's superb THE ROOT CELLAR, but proves an interesting read all the same. Two cousins in 19th century Scotland, born the same week, grow up inseparable. Despite their different temperaments and appearance, Mairi and Duncan are two halves of one coin; they vow at age 11 to remain of couple for ever. Then Duncan's family decides to emigrate to Upper Canada, a move which threatens to tear assunder the unique bond that
Krystyne
It started off a bit slow but then I got completely immersed in the story. Well written book. I liked the Canadian history in the background. The romance was an added spark to the story.
Sarah Clough
I read this as a youngster. I just re-read it on the hunt for a particular book. It wasn't the one I was looking for, but I found it moving and worthwhile even at the age of 34.
Blythe
I read this book in grade 6 - and many many years later I still think of its haunting tale. A beautifully told story, that stuck in the mind of a 12 year old reader.
Sally
Mary in Scotland has a dream that her cousin Duncan needs her. Problem #1, he's in Canada. Problem #2, it's the 1800s so she can't just hop on a plane or call him - she has to get herself onto a boat for three or so months and keep her fingers crossed that he's still alive when she arrives! Interesting tale, that really shows the troubles of keeping in contact with people in times before ours.
Cheryl
Just to be clear on one thing - this is most def. not the 'sequel' to Root Cellar, and both stand on their own just fine.

What else is it? A rich bit of historical fiction. A haunting romance. A ghost story. And a story of a teen girl who makes her own way in a time & place that tested the strength & resolve of grown men. Gracefully, engagingly, even entertainingly written.
Nanna
This is a re-read of a book I loved in my youth. I decided to re-read it for research for the next novel I plan to write. Gorgeous writing, engaging story. Definitely more middle grade than YA. I remember it being very scary when I read it as a child, but definitely that wasn't the case now. It still didn't detract from my enjoyment of this fast read.
Kristen Smith
A story of how a young woman comes to find herself. A nice love story. A nice family history. It's one of those I like to reread every few years. I would say 11/12 and up due to matter-of-fact sexual innuendo involving secondary characters. Also deals with suicide. Read it before letting your kids under 13 read it.
Joanna
not half as good as it's precedent, The Hollow Tree. Uses witchcraft, if i recall right... i only skipped through it to see if the main charectors were the same. They werent.

i had ot atleast give it a two star, b/c of who it's author is. =)
Fragilemuse
This was one of the most haunting and memorable books I read as a child. I revisit every couple years and it never ceases to give me chills.
Ashley
Would recommend this book to young adults or even older adults. the story is timeless and touching. Speaks a lot about the power of human action.
Erin
One of my favorite books when I was in grade six. I remember feeling actually frightened about what could happen to the main character.
Georgina
The characters were a bit stiff at times (especially Mary) but the story turned out well all the same.
Hpitcher
the best book that i had to read for school. still not great
Nightfalltwen
I read this back in grade six. I remember liking it back then.
Yani M C
Yani M C marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Holly
Holly added it
Dec 10, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
SarahW
SarahW added it
Dec 03, 2014
  • The Dark Garden
  • Losing Joe's Place
  • Devil on My Back (Arc One, #1)
  • Solstice Magic (A Calgary Stampede Adventure, #1)
  • Graffiti Knight
  • Haunted
  • A Victorian Christmas
  • Forbidden City
  • The Gravesavers
  • The Sky Is Falling (The Guests of War Trilogy, #1)
  • The Burning Time
  • From Anna
  • The Nine Days Queen (Beneath the Crown, #1)
  • Strange Heaven
  • Locavore: From Farmers' Fields to Rooftop Gardens - How Canadians Are Changing the Way We Eat
  • Hero of Lesser Causes
  • Mortebouse (Lou!, Tome 2)
  • Love Underground: Persephone's Tale: (The Goddesses #1)
Janet was born Janet Louise Swoboda on December 28, 1928 in Dallas, Texas, U.S.A, moved to Vermont when she was two and lived there until she was ten when the family moved to the outskirts of New York City. She came to Canada in 1946 to go to Notre Dame College in Ottawa and then to Queen's University in Kingston, Ontario. There she met and married Richard Lunn, a fellow student. She has lived in ...more
More about Janet Lunn...
The Root Cellar The Hollow Tree A Rebel's Daughter: The 1837 Rebellion Diary of Arabella Stevenson (Dear Canada) Twin Spell Amos's Sweater