Start by marking “Forsaking Home (Going Home #4)” as Want to Read:
Forsaking Home (Going Home #4)

Forsaking Home (Survivalist #4)

4.25  ·  Rating Details ·  1,333 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
***NATIONAL BESTSELLER***

Book 4 of The Survivalist Series

They survived the collapse, but can they survive the aftermath?

Morgan Carter has weathered the weeks after the collapse of the nation’s power grid, reuniting with his family and ensuring their safety, but his struggleisn'tover yet. Carter must focus on survival in an increasingly unstable society—but the challenges h
Published June 24th 2014 by Plume (first published March 26th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Forsaking Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forsaking Home

Nicola Mansfield
Feb 04, 2015 Nicola Mansfield rated it really liked it
I love this series and book 4 was just as much of a pleasure as I was expecting. The writing has improved as the series progressed; and while I loved the action-packed gung-ho attitude of the first two books, at this point there is a lot more character development, personal interaction and emotional experiences between the characters. All the characters from previous books are present here (the ones who've made it alive to this point LOL) and I felt right at home with this motley crew of army me ...more
Jo Ann
Oct 22, 2014 Jo Ann rated it it was ok
Shelves: post-apoc, kindle
Why. Why did I force my way through four of these poorly written pieces of prepper fan fic propaganda. The author (middle name must be "Male" >sarcasm< ) couldn't write a woman if he had one of the many weapons he loves describing held to his head. I suspect he is not knowledgeable about the military either but i only have experience being a woman so can't comment. The huge variance in tone from sweeping generalizations to "list making" and the sudden insertions of anti- Obama, anti - libe ...more
Hanna
Jan 10, 2016 Hanna rated it liked it
A European, female perspective: I'm interested in prepping, but I am definitely no admirer of the USA and its corporation run government. As a Euro, you simply have to swallow hard and decide not to get irritated at the American exceptionalist outlook of the author. It's worth it, in my opinion, for anyone with an interest in prepping.

Plot : This is where the strength of this series lies. How does a man with a prepping background take care of his family and neighbours after an EPI attack? Part
Sandra Wheeler
Nov 11, 2015 Sandra Wheeler rated it it was amazing
I have read the whole series and can't wait for the next book. When I first saw this book, I thought Oh well, this is going to be a bloody horror book. But it was not written that way.
It was horrid but not in a gory horror film way. But, its horror was in the facts that our government would do what they did to destroy our country. I don't want to spell out what they did as it will take so much away from the story.
It was a Prepper type book but as I am interested in prepping, it just fit for me.
Carolyn
Feb 28, 2015 Carolyn rated it liked it
Recently read all five books in this series. Basically each is a how-to of tips for post-apocalyptic survival woven together into storylines about a man (Morgan) and his family (wife and three daughters); a man (Thad) and a young girl (Jess) whose families have all died/been murdered; and a gnarly old ex-soldier (Sarge) with a small crew of other ex-soldiers.

The titles really tell the essence of each book. In the first, Going Home, the country is subjected to the collapse of the entire power gr
Matthew
Jul 13, 2014 Matthew rated it liked it
Ok, my OCD led me to finish this series. (This is the latest book and I think it ends the series…although there's plenty of wiggle room for more). This 4th book in the series is better than the 3rd, so the the series ends on a "strong" note - but in my opinion the series overall is only average. The writing is plain, the characters one dimensional, the plot arc is bland, and there's only a modicum of an entertainment factor. This last book tries to close the story arc (with only a limited amount ...more
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
"Food is freedom. Control the food, control the people. While a lot of people don't see it that way, if you think about our current situation, it really applies. How many people do you think have gone to camps because they are hungry? Humans lived for tens of thousands of years before grocery stores, but take them out of the equation and folks panic." (pg 23).

With the collapse of the power grid, communications, and food and water supply for reasons that continue to remain unknown, thousands of p
Lori L (She Treads Softly)
Forsaking Home by A. American is a recommended (highly if you are reading the whole series) conclusion to the survivalist series that includes Going Home, Surviving Home, and Escaping Home. Forsaking Home is the fourth book in the series.

shetreadssoftly.blogspot.com/2013/08/... shetreadssoftly.blogspot.com/2013/12/...

For those following the series, Morgan, his family, and all the other characters are back on their trek to survival among lawless citizens and the DHS continues their obscenely wick
Stephen
Jul 18, 2015 Stephen rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent series. It is well written, realistic, and even allows for some blue on blue shooting. On the whole, it addresses things that really could happen during a confusing and morally murky situation. In this book Jess is in an internment camp and in a bad way. She and some girls took action against a rapist and will now have to pay the price. Can Sarge and his team backed up by intel from Morgan and Thad save the day? Read the book to find out.
Steve
I don't have a long review of this book. I will be honest and say it wasn't my favorite. I received this book as an ARC, and thought I would take a chance on an author I haven't read. Realizing that I am coming into this series on book four, I didn't let that influence my review.
What mainly got me on this is 1) the author's pseudonym and 2) the I'm a better survivalist than you attitude.

Now I realize that author's need/want pseudonyms (I've not used one yet, but that day may come). But to choose
Cheryl
Jul 13, 2014 Cheryl rated it liked it
I like this series. It is one of the better post apocalyptic series. It feels real. I know that if I was stuck I would want to hang with someone like Morgan. He is a survivalist. There is some language used in this book. I have not problems with language when it is used tastefully and for the purpose of the story. Which it is done in this book. I mean come on the world is falling about and people are being locked up by the government. You are probably not going to be very happy and might say a f ...more
Dalene
May 12, 2014 Dalene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book from Penguin's First Reads program. Like the previous books in this series, I enjoyed it very much. The storyline is good and the characters are well defined and written. We have some new characters added to the mix. I hope that this is a continuing series as I would like to see what happens with Morgan and friends next.
Sabrina
Jan 23, 2016 Sabrina rated it it was amazing
Another truly excellent book in an outstanding series. The experiences of Morgan, Thad, Sarge and the men continue in many challenges, dangerous situations and heart-stopping encounters. This fourth book in such an incomparable series stands up and keeps marching on.

With so much to do (to simply survive) and a lot to be done to keep everyone safe, all of the families and friends try their hardest to stick together and overcome all odds.

The writing and the general rhythm of this story advances as
Amber Martin
Jul 22, 2015 Amber Martin rated it liked it
As with the previous 3 books I liked this one as well. I think the series could've easily ended with Morgan telling Little Bit "To borrow a phrase from history, 'it's not the end, it's not even the beginning of the end, but it may be the end of the beginning." But I've made it this far into the series and still have one more book to go.
I think A. American improved his writing style as the series progressed. I also appreciated seeing all the characters come together in Forsaking Home, although I
Pam Shelton-anderson
There was a lot of how-to, some of which was interesting on the surface (that is how you make soap) but so much of it and in such detail was kind of draggy. The events in the camp seemed a bit predictable. This appears to be the 4th book and I can see there is another after it. Great. Now I need to find out what happens to these guys. Will Sarge be OK? Is Thad going to find happiness again. And Mel... wait I don't like Mel at all so I don't care about her. Let her fall to the side of the road.
Mel (Reviews In A Pinch)
I was lucky enough to receive an advanced reading copy of Forsaking Home from First to Read, in exchange for an honest review. I normally love dystopian, end of the world books. It has been my favorite genre for at least a year and I'm still slightly obsessed with it. I should also mention that I have not read any of the other books in the Survivalist series. I didn't really enjoy Forsaking Home. It was definitely action packed, but for a good portion of the book I was playing catch up on who th ...more
Sean
Jul 07, 2014 Sean rated it it was ok
This 4th installment felt like a departure from the first 3 in the series. It was slow moving and did not provide the same amount of "what would you do if you were in this situation" opportunities as the rest of the series... not even close. I found myself relying on my past experiences with the characters in order to color in the gray areas a little better as there is very little fleshing out done even with the main characters.

An opportunity was wasted when the female badass was introduced and
Tadd Gestrin
This book completes the story of a family thrown into a world after a major EMP crashes the grid. The plot mainly follows plans to take over a government run detention camp that was being run by the DHS in the manner of a prison camp. It's fairly predictable and not that original after the first three installments in the series. The story completes the saga, so if you've read the first three books, you'll probably want to read this to see what happens to Morgan and his family.
Jonathan Barnett
Jan 03, 2016 Jonathan Barnett rated it it was ok
Mediocre at best. If this series were a TV show this book could only have been made into one episode. The plotline dragged its way through countless boring situations that had no bearing on the story along with timelines that never seem to make any sense. One day the characters collect an abundance of food the next day they are starving because they haven't eaten in days... This series could have been stopped at book 1 and been a decent stand alone novel but the series continues to slog along wi ...more
Dale
Dec 05, 2014 Dale rated it it was ok
A summary of this book.

I am man. Man is good. Man better than woman. Woman weak. Guns good. Men with guns who agree with us are good. Men with guns who disagree with us are bad. Anyone without guns is hopeless. We have an endless supply of materials. Whenever we need something, we magically 'remember' about a set of the said resource we stashed away once upon a time.

The writing and ideas in this series became worse as it went on. My OCD made me finish it, but I am glad it's over because even th
Angie Thompson-conner
Awesome series

Awesome series

I have read all the books in the series,and they are fantastic! they keep you glued to your seat wondering what is going to happen next! this could really happen and it gives you some insight on what to do if it does happen. I think these books sod appeal to anyone that likes a good read!
Tara Zormier
Should you read this series?? Yes, yes you should! This is a very realistic version of what may happen to the American people is the shit hits the fan. I am so glad that all my favorite characters have made it up 'till this point! Now I am on to the fifth book Resurrecting Home: A Novel (The Survivalist Series Book 5))!!
Ken Garrett
Dec 04, 2015 Ken Garrett rated it it was ok
Well, I finally threw in the towel on this series. I enjoyed the first book; the Odyssey-like saga of Morgan making his way back home through all kinds of trauma, danger, violence, etc., but once he made it home the story became predictable, gratuitous, and even and a bit immature. Glad I pulled up the reins.
Nick Woodall
This is the fourth book in the series. I can't tell if the series is done or if the author has planned more. You really come to care about the characters in this series. The author did a great job on character development. This series also has very practical suggestions imbedded in the novels for preppers, especially as it relates to needed supplies and naturalistic knowledge.
Carroll Kingry
Dec 08, 2014 Carroll Kingry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the Best Survival Series Ever !

This Series gets you hooked right away and keeps you there. Love the characters, I laughed and cried. This is a story that could actually be real!
Dianne Doggett
Sep 06, 2015 Dianne Doggett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Seriously realistic survival series

Realistic but some hilarious banter is laugh out loud funny. I really enjoyed reading all of this series. They kept me up till the wee hours.
Susan Janke
Aug 27, 2015 Susan Janke rated it liked it
These books are not particularly well written and some of the dialogue is down-right goofy. I gave it three stars for one reason only - I think the author does a pretty decent job talking about issues people would face if the SHTF, and how this particular group of people deal with all the issues they face. I find this part informative, and for that reason, I will force myself to read the fifth and final book in this series - after I take a break and read something well-written first.
Norma
Forsaking Home

wow I love this Books. I believe that this could happen, get food and guns.
find a place to go to if u can gas to. I hope the story isn't done. I what to read more.
Andy
Aug 26, 2014 Andy rated it really liked it
Finished the 4 book Survivalist series - good stuff for those interested in the Prepper / Survivalist / Post-Apocalyptic genre. All in all a worthwhile read. The scenario is a bit overly anti-government with too-polar bad guys and good guys. The characters are mostly pretty well done except for Sarge and his team who are caricatures. The author throws in enough factual survival techniques to make it enjoyable. It kept me reading, and looking forward to more so I recommend the series.
Marc VanDermeer
Jul 20, 2014 Marc VanDermeer rated it liked it
Ok I'm a zombie apocalypse junkie, this books is a "tea party's" survivalist wet dream. Zombies and government bad guys combine in this very graphic zombie end of the world scenario .
  • Holding Their Own IV: The Ascent (Holding Their Own, #4)
  • 299 Days: The War
  • Madness Rules (The Survivalist, #4)
  • American Reset (The Economic Collapse, #3)
  • The End (The New World Series, #1)
  • The Borrowed World (The Borrowed World #1)

Survivalist (5 books)
  • Going Home (Going Home, #1)
  • Surviving Home (Going Home, #2)
  • Escaping Home  (Going Home, #3)
  • Resurrecting Home (The Survivalist, #5)

“Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a hundred-percent fatality rate.” 8 likes