Start by marking “Skin Game (The Dresden Files, #15)” as Want to Read:
Skin Game (The Dresden Files, #15)

Skin Game (The Dresden Files #15)

4.55  ·  Rating Details ·  49,198 Ratings  ·  3,838 Reviews
Harry Dresden, Chicago’s only professional wizard, is about to have a very bad day….

Because as Winter Knight to the Queen of Air and Darkness, Harry never knows what the scheming Mab might want him to do. Usually, it’s something awful.

He doesn’t know the half of it….

Mab has just traded Harry’s skills to pay off one of her debts. And now he must help a group of supernatural
Published May 27th 2014 by Roc

To ask other readers questions about Skin Game, please sign up.

Patrick
May 18, 2014 Patrick rated it it was amazing
It occurred to me today when I sat down to write a review of this book, that I've never gone into detail about my Dresden Files obsession online.

That said, it's certainly there, in bits and pieces, pretty obvious for anyone who is willing to read between the lines.

And I've talked about my love for the series in public many, many times. Usually in response to the question, "So what are your favorite books?" Or "What should I read while I'm waiting for book three to come out?"

But I've never rea
LazerWraith
Jan 27, 2013 LazerWraith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Shelves: fantasy
Loved this book, as usual.

I want to start with a quote from Jim Butcher:

For me personally, CHANGES – GHOST STORY – COLD DAYS is the big three-part special episode that comes in the middle of the season like they used to do in the old shows, like in the 70s and 80s. “This is the HUGE, EPIC episode!” and they’d occasionally pre-empt the whole evening to show it to you. That’s what those three books are to me. This will be getting back to what we’ve done before. Harry’s been kind of in isolation fo
Eric Allen
Nov 28, 2013 Eric Allen rated it it was amazing
Skin Game
Book 15 of The Dresden Files
By Jim Butcher

A Review by Eric Allen

Soooo... I understand that there are a lot of Dresden fans that have been rather abhorred over the very dark turn that the series has taken during and after Changes. I, for one, don't really understand why these people didn't see it coming. I mean, in the very first chapter of the series he goes to a murder scene where two people had their hearts exploded out of their chests with black magic. That should have been a pretty
Nataliya
Aug 31, 2013 Nataliya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My love for this series is now almost unprecedented, and quite irrational. My objectivity makes a mad dash for the nearest exit any time Harry Dresden is concerned. Because Harry and I? We have been through some tough shit together, and that is the friendship that's truly unbreakable.
“Well, hell,” I said. “What’s the world coming to if you can’t trust Santa Claus?”
Yes, I know there are probably many reasons why I should be critical of these books. The savior complex. The not-so-rare deus-ex-ma
Mike (the Paladin)
Okay....listen very carefully, or if you're a stickler for accuracy...read very, very carefully:

If for some reason, curiosity, accident or whatever you have decided to look at this review and you HAVEN'T read Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden books, stop whatever you are doing...reading this review, eating a meal, pretending to work as you browse the internet, surgery, having sex, whatever it takes, disconnect your IV tubes, put your oxygen tank on wheels NOW. Pick your favorite way to read a book, E-
Jules
New book this year!!

Update: 13 Nov 2013, uh, what?! It's not going to be released Dec 3rd?

So I've been lied to for months now?!!!

Someone's gonna have to die for this treachery!

Update: 6 Jan 2014...... WOOHOO. Official release date May 27th.

Update & review: 1 Jun 2014.
Well, well, well. What a game. Mab, you wicked faerie. This book was very good, plenty of action, development for the series, and for Harry in particular. It made it me cry at least twice, maybe three times. Hard to do.

My onl
Adrienne
Apr 21, 2013 Adrienne rated it it was amazing
Anyone else really looking forward to Dresden's next encounter with Kincaid? I think as moments go, 'priceless' would be an understatement :)
Evgeny
Mar 11, 2013 Evgeny rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Mab a fairy Winter Queen gives Harry Dresden as assignment he cannot refuse for numerous reasons. Not only it is highly dangerous, but poor Harry has to work with one of his worst enemies helping the latter. If you read the blurb for this book, you might as well skip reading the real thing altogether as it gives away practically everything - who the heck wrote it???

I thought it would be fun to make a short quiz about the book instead of forcing people who will be unlucky enough to read this revi
Brandt
May 10, 2013 Brandt rated it it was amazing
Butchers description of Skin Game
"The next novel is called Skin Game. In it, we find out that Mab has various debts which she has incurred over the years and Mab is very keen on getting her debts paid, and when one of the people she owes shows up and asks for a favour, she loans him Harry Dresden in order to help him. So Harry is going to find himself, by command of Queen Mab, assisting Nicodemus Archleon in a heist. They’re going on a bank job, and they’re going to knock over the vault of Hades
Nana
Jun 30, 2013 Nana rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
May 28 2014

HOLY.

FUCKING.

SHIT.

I knew this book was going to be good but I never expected it to go to that level of epic. It had EVERYTHING I wanted, resolved a lot of stuff, advanced several things that have been stagnant for a while and we had DENARIANS again. God, I love them. They're the creepiest, nastiest villains I've come across in literature lately (bar the Naagloshi). The only thing that I was a bit disappointed at was the lack of Toe-mas.

Be prepared for loads of feels btw. Might be the
Anne
May 27, 2014 Anne rated it really liked it
Also reveiwed for Addicted2Heroines

Wow.
Book 15, already?
Huh. Well I guess since I've been reading these books for years now, that sort of makes sense.
So.
How did Skin Game hold up to scrutiny?
It was classic Dresden.
And you can take that whichever way you want.
If you're a die-hard fan of this series, and you still enjoy Butcher's books about the wacky (but lovable) wizard, who can't help getting himself in over his head...then you'll love this one.
However, if you were hoping for something differ
Carly
This is Harry Dresden. This is Harry the Bolshevik Muppet.*
. .
Put them both in dusters and there really isn't much difference, especially now that Mab is pulling Dresden's strings. They even have the same hair.

*by the way, if you're not up on muppet pop culture, the Bolshevik muppet's name really is Crazy Harry. He is described on the wiki as, "An unkempt figure with wild eyes and a mad cackle, he delights in blowing things up."

Well, shoot. I dropped by to see if it came out in the next few
Experiment BL626
Book 15 was enjoyable but it was not one of the best books of the series. I had several issues with the characters.

The Characters

+ Dresden

I'm sick of Dresden's self-reproach. I know it's a personality flaw and it's never leaving because it's book fucking 15 and still no sign of self-esteem growth but I really wish it would. I'm tired of Urban Fantasy protags hating themselves for simply existing.

Secondly, he spent a year in Demonreach and all he learned was parkour. Granted, he did display a fe
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

*4.5 stars*

Though this wasn't my favorite Harry Dresden book, it was still amazing. Part of that is because the audio of this book is so good I could cry. The audio of this series, especially the later books, is simply the gold standard of what an audiobook can be. The audio for this book was astonishingly good, and I think even if the book was terrible, I could never do anything but love it.

The story was exciting, Harry was impressive, and the audio was divine. Now I just have to suffer and wa
William
Apr 19, 2013 William rated it it was amazing
it's Dresden, how can it be anything other than five stars.

just finished the book...Holly Crap!!!!!!!!!!!!
Regina
Giveaway of this book here.

Skin Game is really good. I mean really good. Jim Butcher gets better with every book. It had a little hit of Murphy and a little but of Michael. This is one of the best books I have read this year. Skin Game is brilliant, it is amazing and so worth the long wait (18 months!). The main problem with reading Skin Game is the wait for the sequel (Peace Talks #16), which as of right now has an estimate of an August 2015 release. At this point, while Goodreads has August 20
David Sven
Another decent entry added to the Dresden Files and another excellent audio performance by James Marsters.

This book will see a much powered up Harry taking on the underworld - no the other underworld - THE underworld. Yes, Mab has her Winter Knight teaming up with some of the most evil characters we've come to loathe over the series to help them rip off a treasure trove from the very jaws of hell - or the Greek version of hell.

Hell's Bells! How is he going to that? Well let's check the list -
Planchette
Nov 04, 2013 Planchette marked it as to-read
I should have a whole new category for this. 'To Read' doesn't quite cover it. Maybe, 'Must Read'?
Andrew Hart
Just found a clip of Jim Butcher reading the first four chapters of Skin Games on Youtube!

Tim The Enchanter
Review Posted to The Literary Lawyer.ca

Silver Gavel for Best Novel of 2014

My #8 Read of 2014

Oceans 11, Harry Dresden Style - 5 Stars

Just when I thought the series had "jumped the shark" and was on a express trip down the crapper, Jim Butcher pulls off a magnificent effort with his latest and greatest. For my money, Skin Games is one of the best three in the series. The story is one of the best thought out, organized and exciting in many years. I hang my head in shame for uttering the
Rob
Executive Summary: While not quite as good as Cold Days, Jim Butcher once again shows why he's the king of Urban Fantasy and one of the best fantasy writers out there.

Audio book: James Marsters once again makes this series a must listen. It's not even the fact that he does voices for the characters that makes it great. It's the WAY he does the voices. The emotion when Harry casts a spell. Or him actually yelling PARKOUR! instead of simply reading it. He may not be the voice I originally expected
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.blogspot.com/201...

Let’s face it, there’s really no such thing as a bad Dresden Files book – but some are better than others. For me, this series reached its peak round book 5 or 6. I loved Death Masks and Blood Rites, and though everything since has been very enjoyable, there are still times I get nostalgic for the days where Harry’s life was a lot simpler. Well, relatively simpler. The point is, each installment has added another layer of
Becky
Pretty much amazing. That is all.

...Ok, that's not all. I have been having an iffy run of books lately. They take me ages to read, and then I like them overall, but not like engrossingly LOVE READING them. I can only think of two off the top of my head that I've read this year that I actually loved the whole process, from start to finish, of reading. That would be The Martian by Andy Weir, and this book right here.

This book is everything that I've come to expect from the Dresden series. Excitin
Andy
And onto another favourite long running series..... lets hope I can remember all the players & essence of yarn since the last outing!

What more can I say about this series? Its a winner (mostly) for me as I love the lead characters & their interaction along with the genre & world they live in. As always there’s a new twist / additional character each story which gets my attention & the story / lives of all involved moves along with perils / trials thrown at them along the way.

Rea
Mihir
Apr 30, 2014 Mihir rated it it was amazing

Full review over at Fantasy Book Critic

ANALYSIS: Writing this review is bit hard, as on the first read, Skin Game is pretty much awesome and after my not-so-fun rewarding experience of Cold Days, this was a fun read. After a second detailed re-read, the book still held out and was as much fun the first time around.

Here's what this book is about: Since Harry was forced to take the mantle of Winter Knight; he's been subjugated by Mab's wishes and intentions. Of course he's not going to bend to he
Deborah Markus
Sep 15, 2015 Deborah Markus rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible-fun
...I'm just saying, I really liked it back when Harry Dresden was a private detective with a beat-up old car and money problems.

He does cool stuff now. The writing's brilliant. The humor is legitimately laugh-out-loud. The world-building is outstanding.

I'm just saying I can praise and enjoy this story for what it is and still wish for what was.
Shandra
Sep 10, 2013 Shandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Initial thoughts: Dresden is like a fine wine. He just gets better as the series progresses. The last few (with one exception), have been just amazeballz!!! This one was fantastic as well!!! I'm giving it 4.5 stars...for reasons. I'll explain in my review, whenever I get to it that is. :0)

Review:

Actual rating: 4.5 It-Just-Keeps-Getting-Better stars. No spoilers.

Happy dance photo: happy dance 2uy60b9gifmoving.gif

This is the longest I've followed a series. The longest I've stuck with the same characters, the same world. I used to look at series
Alex Ristea
May 30, 2014 Alex Ristea rated it it was amazing
I don’t know how Jim Butcher does it.

I mean, imagine trying to pitch this book:

“Er, so a ragtag bunch of supernatural misfits tries to break into Hades’s vault and steal some treasure.”Sounds like a shitty B-movie heist plot you could only watch while severely inebriated.

But Skin Game is pure gold.

Dialogue and tight scenes have always been Jim Butcher’s strong suit, and this book uses them to maximum effect. Harry Dresden’s had a bit of a rough ride since Changes (to say the least), and he has
Katy
Feb 03, 2013 Katy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of Dresden files

I have notes, so will probably eventually review this. Right now I'm all about the reading and don't care to stop to review...

Book Info: Genre: Urban Fantasy
Reading Level: Adult
Tense, Person, POV: past tense, first person, Harry's POV
Recommended for: Fans of Urban Fantasy
Trigger Warnings: murder, betrayal

I'll be adding some quotes, too. That's all you get for now!
Chris
Damn damn damn....Listening to "Kickstart My Heart" as I write this. Seems like an appropriate one.

I love this series. These characters, and the way Butcher is steering them. Damn damn.

Not much of a review, but wouldn't you be reading the book anyway? Get to it, son.
http://healthonlinereviews.com/chantel-st-claire-serum/ 1 1 Mar 20, 2017 12:44AM
http://healthonlinereviews.com/secret-allure-cream/ 1 1 Mar 17, 2017 12:48AM
http://elevategffacts.com/hydraxil-anti-aging-creme-de/ 1 1 Mar 09, 2017 01:37AM
http://healthonlinereviews.com/hydralie-ageless-moisturizer/ 1 1 Mar 04, 2017 01:19AM
Dresden Files: Skin Game - Questions 22 42 Feb 28, 2017 04:29AM
The Urban Fixation: Dresden Files 57 58 Feb 10, 2017 03:42AM
Easter eggs for conspiracy geeks 21 209 Jan 13, 2017 03:02AM
  • Chosen (Alex Verus, #4)
  • The Winter Long (October Daye, #8)
  • Hunted (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #6)
  • Slashback (Cal Leandros, #8)
  • Kill City Blues (Sandman Slim, #5)
  • Monster Hunter Alpha (Monster Hunter International, #3)
  • Codex Born (Magic Ex Libris, #2)
  • A Hard Day's Knight (Nightside, #11)
  • The Naming of the Beasts (Felix Castor, #5)
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more
More about Jim Butcher...

The Dresden Files (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)
  • Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2)
  • Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3)
  • Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4)
  • Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5)
  • Blood Rites (The Dresden Files, #6)
  • Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7)
  • Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, #8)
  • White Night (The Dresden Files, #9)
  • Small Favor (The Dresden Files, #10)

“Home is where, when you go there and tell people to get out, they have to leave.” 94 likes
“There’s power in the touch of another person’s hand. We acknowledge it in little ways, all the time. There’s a reason human beings shake hands, hold hands, slap hands, bump hands.

“It comes from our very earliest memories, when we all come into the world blinded by light and color, deafened by riotous sound, flailing in a suddenly cavernous space without any way of orienting ourselves, shuddering with cold, emptied with hunger, and justifiably frightened and confused. And what changes that first horror, that original state of terror?

“The touch of another person’s hands.

“Hands that wrap us in warmth, that hold us close. Hands that guide us to shelter, to comfort, to food. Hands that hold and touch and reassure us through our very first crisis, and guide us into our very first shelter from pain. The first thing we ever learn is that the touch of someone else’s hand can ease pain and make things better.

“That’s power. That’s power so fundamental that most people never even realize it exists.”
87 likes