Start by marking “The Zen Doctrine of No Mind: The Significance of the Sutra of Hui-Neng” as Want to Read:
The Zen Doctrine of No Mind: The Significance of the Sutra of Hui-Neng

The Zen Doctrine of No Mind: The Significance of the Sutra of Hui-Neng

Dedicated largely to the teaching of Hui Neng, this volume covers the purpose and technique of Zen training, and goes further into the depths of Zen than any other work of modern times. Here we find no reliance on scripture or a Savior, for the student isshown how to go beyond thought in order to achieve a state of consciousness beyond duality.
Published August 1st 1991 by Weiser Books (first published 1969)

Anthony Buckley
Jan 17, 2009 Anthony Buckley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy, religion
Hui-Neng, known as the Sixth Zen Patriarch, established the idea that enlightenment came suddenly and that it should not be sought by slowly and progressively cleaning the mirror of one's mind. Suzuki's free-flowing exploration of the Sutra of Hui-Neng is not nearly as obscure as one might expect. I read it a long time ago, and in looking at it again, I find that it had more of an impact on me than I had realized.
Lysergius
Jan 02, 2013 Lysergius rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zen
Suzuki's writings have a clarity that helps to illumine what is a difficult subject. Well worth the effort. This is an intro to the more complex Essays.
Benjamin Montero
Sep 16, 2013 Benjamin Montero rated it really liked it
Fu kicked a dog which happened to be there, and the dog gave a cry and ran away. The monk made no response, whereupon Fu said: 'Poor dog, you were kicked in vain.'
Peter
Mar 10, 2012 Peter rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful exploration of the ideas of Huineng (638-713), who is one of the most important figures in the history of Zen Buddhism. It gives the reader a solid understanding of how he changed the trajectory of Buddhism in China—especially with regard to meditation.

Many of Huineng's contemporaries saw meditation as a deliberate exercise aimed at "clearing" the mind in order to find deeper purity within. The most famous expression of this view occurs in a short verse written by Shenxiu (on
Jughead
Dec 02, 2014 Jughead rated it really liked it
The gentleman who introduced the West to Zen Buddhism. A great intro to the 6th Patriarch. D. T. Suzuki is often overlooked these days (mostly in favor of that other Suzuki,) but D. T.s books quietly wait those who want to understand Zen and are tired of 'just sitting'.
Tony
Jul 10, 2012 Tony rated it it was amazing
This is a fascinating book that brings us back to the seventh and eighth centuries in China to Hui-Neng and the Zen concept of No Mind. Wonderful for its spiritual insights and historical scholarship. Highly reccommended.
Matt
Matt rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2012
Kali Prasad
Kali Prasad rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2013
Justin
Justin rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2012
Xcv
Xcv rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2011
Mahisha Ravshanova
Mahisha Ravshanova rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Erwin Maack
Erwin Maack rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2012
Ngo Thanh
Ngo Thanh rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2015
Dana Garrett
Dana Garrett rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2012
Nano Malefico®
Nano Malefico® rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2014
Rich Hedrick
Rich Hedrick rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2013
Michael Lloyd-Billington
Michael Lloyd-Billington rated it really liked it
May 28, 2016
Sean [breathe]
Sean [breathe] rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2015
Nastaran
Nastaran rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2007
Travis Martin
Apr 12, 2011 Travis Martin is currently reading it
From the first not a thing is.
Artur Fugivala pedroso
Artur Fugivala pedroso rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2014
Kenny
Kenny rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2014
Alanna Kearney
Alanna Kearney rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2014
T. A. Cooper
T. A. Cooper rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2012
Mazzwar
Mazzwar rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2015
Kris Dunn
Kris Dunn rated it really liked it
May 09, 2013
Mike Mullen
Mike Mullen rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2014
Isafakir
Isafakir rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2013
David Wiggins
David Wiggins rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2009
Kelsey Glander
Kelsey Glander rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2013
  • The Gateless Gate: The Classic Book of Zen Koans
  • The Zen Teaching of Bodhidharma
  • The Diamond Sutra
  • The Collected Songs of Cold Mountain
  • The Ceasing of Notions: An Early Zen Text from the Dunhuang Caves with Selected Comments
  • You Have to Say Something
  • Pure Heart, Enlightened Mind: the Zen journal & letters of Maura "Soshin" O'Halloran
  • Zen Keys: A Guide to Zen Practice
  • Mahayana Buddhism: The Doctrinal Foundations
Daisetsu (also written Daisetz) Teitaro Suzuki (鈴木大拙) was a Japanese author of books and essays on Buddhism, Zen and Shin that were instrumental in spreading interest in both Zen and Shin (and Far Eastern philosophy in general) to the West. Suzuki was also a prolific translator of Chinese, Japanese, and Sanskrit literature. Suzuki spent several lengthy stretches teaching or lecturing at Western ...more
More about D.T. Suzuki...

“Emptiness constantly falls within our reach. It is always with us, and conditions all our knowledge, all our deeds and is our life itself. It is only when we attempt to pick it up and hold it forth as something before our eyes that it eludes us, frustrates all our efforts and vanishes like vapor.” 1 likes