Start by marking “Regarding the Trees: A Splintered Saga Rooted in Secrets” as Want to Read:
Regarding the Trees: A Splintered Saga Rooted in Secrets

Regarding the Trees: A Splintered Saga Rooted in Secrets (Regarding the...)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  496 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Principal Walter Russ just wanted a simple proposal to trim the overgrown trees outside Geyser Creek Middle School. So how did he end up with a wedding (rather than a weeding) proposal from designer Florence Waters? And that's not all . . . Angelo, the new cafeteria chef from Italy, has taken up residence in Mr. N.'s classroom. A sixth-grader has moved into the weeping wil ...more
Published August 1st 2005 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Regarding the Trees, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Regarding the Trees

Rchelg5
I enjoyed this book even though it was an easy read, though I liked all of the characters' personalities because I thought they fit in with style of the novel. Also, it involved some cheesy yet amusing humor, which made the book highly pleasurable. "Regarding the Trees" is part of a series, which includes "Regarding the Fountain", "Regarding the Sink", and "Regarding the Bathrooms", this book being the third book in the four book sequence. It is basically about a middle school with an interestin ...more
Samantha
This might be my favorite book in the Regarding the...series. As Principal Walter Russ prepares for an evaluation he turns his attention to the trees on the Geyser Creek Middle School grounds. What begins as a mere proposal to Florence Waters, of the designer water fountain fame, to trim the trees ends up as the wedding of the century!

Meanwhile Sam N.'s 6th grade class is studying everything about trees, especially family trees and tracing their own roots. Minnie O. frets about the project (she'
Suzanne
Hilarious. Mr. N's 6th grade class goes out on a limb to save the trees surrounding the middle school when Principal Wally Russ decides to cut them down or trim them drastically. In the process they discover some of the history of their town, Geyser Creek, and uncover a historic sorority of unwed women from the town who traveled around the world planting trees. Like the others in this series the story is told through letters, illustrations, and newspaper articles. The plot takes a romantic twist ...more
Mrs. Bajema
Sep 14, 2008 Mrs. Bajema rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone should take a look!
Recommended to Mrs. Bajema by: Mr. Sforza
There are so many ways I could try to describe Regarding the Trees, but after calling it "humor, kid-power, MCBA-book--2009, real-life, school, wit, and written-in-letters", I still somehow haven't captured the nature of this book! It's a hilarious, rollicking story told in letters, newspaper clippings, school projects, video transcripts, notes passed in class, and much more. Sure, the 6th graders in Mr. N's class are on a mission to save the trees at Geyser Creek Middle School. But don't forget ...more
Kathleen
Meh. This is not as good as the first two books in the series-- rather mediocre, actually. I got fed up very fast with the proposal banter between Florence and Walter, and the boys vs. girls fight felt overdone and tacky. While the basic humor and light-hearted approach to life remain the same, and the illustrations are as always amazing, the main plotline felt forced and irritating, and the wrap-up with what's-his-face was just out of nowhere. I'll still read the next book in this series, but I ...more
Jessica
Walter Russ is the principal at Geyser Creek Middle School. When walter Russ receives a letter informing him he is to be evaluated by the Society of Principals and Administrators everything goes down hill from there.... Florence Waters, a.k.a the Flo, is the designated "tree trimmer", since Walter will also be graded by the appearence of his school. But when the Flo mis-understands Walter Russ's letter, the day may end in a wedding instead of a weeding....

I loved this book, mainly beacause its n
Madison Goeser
Drawed me in and never spit me out until the end...I hope you understand.
Robin
Sep 28, 2013 Robin rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 9 and up
The kiddo had a good time with this one, but the short letters and faxes and memos made for stilted reading aloud. Also, it's no longer a novelty, with several books in the series and other authors doing the same thing (with ims, text messaging, and e-mails thrown in). Despite the marriage theme (a bit off the mark for the upper elementary set), this has been a very popular series with 5th & 6th graders, and will probably continue to be so. The side story about the Maids of May was the best ...more
Sheryl
Florence's humor is hilarious, especially when it comes to dealing with Principal Wally Russ.

This is a fun and light read. Children's book with illustrations is always a thumbs up!
Bridget
I've been enjoying the whole Regarding series, but this one was especially appealing. The puns and misunderstandings and feuds just got more and more convoluted, but everything was neatly wrapped. A little piece at the end, involving Minnie O., got me quite misty, which was totally unexpected for this series.
Callie
I love all books by Kate Klise, and this one was no exception. I love the mystery, with the twisting plot. The other thing I love is that this book is easy for "younger" readers (4th grade?). It's not a difficult thing with hard vocab. It's funny, and cute. I would recomend this book to anyone!
Karen Arendt
Cute story with plenty of word play. I preferred the 43 Old Cemetery Road series more, but this story was fun. There are several books in this collection and this book is not the first. Might have been better to read them in order to be more familiar with the characters.
Marcia
Jun 29, 2008 Marcia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: grades 4-6, anyone looking for a fun book.
Recommended to Marcia by: MCBA
Shelves: mcba, grades-4-6
Like the other books in this series, this story is written in letters and is filled with puns and wordplay that will make you smile Kids will enjoy being able to "get" the jokes. Trees, Italian, boys vs.girsl: it's all here. A fun read.
Maya K.
iiiiiiiii lllllllllloooooooooovvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeee kkkkkkkkkkaaaaaaaaatttttttttttteeeeeeeee kkkkkkkkkkkkkllllllllllllllllliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Eliza Reker
This book is like Kate Klise's other "Regarding the..." books, it is written in letter form. The puns and 'miscommunications' are so hilarious in this book. I couldn't put it down.
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
This book was awesome!! One of the reasons I liked it was because it was all written in letters. This was really unique and it was the first time I have read a book like this. C.P.
B
Fun fifth grade class is back to solve another mystery with many of the same characters and the same great writing method using letters, recipes, newspaper articles, etc.
NewFranklin School
I thought this book Regarding the trees is a very good book because it's a book with letters going back and forth.
it all start's at the first book regarding the fountain!
Sara
this book was okay. i had to read it for a book report in school, and prepare an oral report plus a visual. i liked how the book was set up, especially the mini newspapers.
Brandi
It was so funny!! I love reading books told by letters, newspapers, and flyers. The author kept the book interesting and never stopped the suprising. It was so amazing.
Adrienne
Sep 20, 2008 Adrienne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Kate Klise fans
This book is a great addition to the 'regarding' series. I think it was very interesting and ended some conflicts of the story. I thuroughly enjoyed it.
Runa
Mar 28, 2007 Runa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children, fans of the series
Shelves: runasbooks
Amazingly well written, and i don't care if people say the series is for children, it will amuse both children and adults alike.
Shami Pula
Great book. Kind of confusing at first, but very satisfying. This is a Battle of the Books book for Farmington,MI.
Shelley
These Klise sisters ooze style! Perfect for reluctant AND voracious readers alike, this series is one of my favorites.
Lily
Sep 12, 2014 Lily rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: klise
Lillian Jillian
This book was absolutely ah-dorable. The 'romantic' twist was cute and I love all the characters.
Once again, I'm torn. This is smack between 4 and 5...but I figured I'd be generous this time. :)
Ava Spach
I love how Kate Klise makes everyone's name into a word or phrase. For example: Sam N.: salmon
Alixandra
The Klise Sisters are Awesomeee...i loved this book :) makes you feel like a kid again
  • Amazing Greek Myths of Wonder and Blunders
  • Amelia Rules! Volume 4: When the Past is a Present (Amelia Rules! #4)
  • Freddy the Detective
  • The SOS File
  • The Talent Show
  • Four Stupid Cupids
  • Summer at Forsaken Lake
  • Raymond and Graham Rule the School (Raymond and Graham, #1)
  • Nuts to You
  • The Memory Bank
  • Here Lies the Librarian
  • Zebrafish
  • Waking Beauty
  • Factory Girl
  • Ariol #1: Just a Donkey Like You and Me
  • LaRue for Mayor: Letters from the Campaign
  • Piper Reed: Navy Brat (Piper Reed #1)
  • How Oliver Olson Changed the World
Librarian Note: There is more than one author by this name in the Goodreads data base.

Catherine "Kate" Klise is an American author of children's literature. Many of her books are illustrated by her sister, M. Sarah Klise. Their popular Regarding series is presented in a scrapbook style format, with letters, journal entries, and related ephemera telling the story. She is also known for her picture
More about Kate Klise...
Dying to Meet You (43 Old Cemetery Road, #1) Regarding the Fountain: A Tale, in Letters, of Liars and Leaks Over My Dead Body (43 Old Cemetery Road, #2) In the Bag Trial by Journal