Start by marking “Mary Colter: Builder Upon the Red Earth” as Want to Read:
Mary Colter: Builder Upon the Red Earth

Mary Colter: Builder Upon the Red Earth

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  47 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
An architect for the Santa Fe Railway and the Fred Harvey Company, Colter laid the groundwork for female architects who followed. Seven of her remarkable structures are preserved in Grand Canyon's historic district. This is her story.
Published March 13th 2007 by Grand Canyon Association (first published June 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Mary Colter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mary Colter

Samira Elytess
Mar 19, 2016 Samira Elytess rated it really liked it
Shelves: architecture
I came across this book during my trip to Grand Canyon when I was visiting the bookstore at Tusayan ruin and museum. The first thought that went through my mind was: "What? A woman architect in the old days!!?" If you asked me to name one woman architect in the old times (before women were allowed to wear pants), I would have just looked at you clueless. (Sad how little we know about women's contribution in any field of our world or local history).

Mary Colter went to California School of Design
Nancy Groves
Sep 07, 2014 Nancy Groves rated it really liked it
This book describes the career of Mary Colter (1869-1968), an architect, designer, and decorator for the Fred Harvey Company, which built hotels, restaurants, and other facilities to accommodate passengers on the Santa Fe Railway. A number of her projects are still standing, including several at the Grand Canyon. I bought this book there on a visit in—I'm embarrassed to say—1999. Of course I've always meant to read it, but the books on my shelves often get set aside in favor of those I get from ...more
Sandra Munro
Jun 19, 2014 Sandra Munro rated it liked it
We were recently at the Grand Canyon, where I purchased this book, having become interested in Mary Colter after admiring some of her captivating architectural work along the South Rim. I don't generally lean toward a taste for Santa Fe or Rustic styles of architecture and design, but there is something about her work that speaks with a very unique and very arresting and interesting voice. By most accounts she was not a very easy person to work with, (and it couldn't have been easy for her to wo ...more
Kate Zdenek
Jan 11, 2016 Kate Zdenek rated it really liked it
I enjoyed learning more about this architect who was so influential at the Grand Canyon Village and with the Fred Harvey restaurants.
Jennifer C.
Jun 07, 2016 Jennifer C. rated it liked it
A visit to the Grand Canyon introduced me to Colter's amazing work. Loved the photography in the book.
Kim
Aug 01, 2009 Kim rated it it was amazing
I purchased this book several years ago when we visited the Grand Canyon. We're going back in September & we're staying at the Bright Angel Lodge. I wanted to read this book to have a more comprehensive picture of this amazing architect. By reading this book I'm now excited about going to the Lodge & looking for some of her contributions. The book is interesting for anyone interested in railroads, the Southwest, the Grand Canyon or architecture.
Rikelle
Jun 23, 2011 Rikelle rated it really liked it
My son bought this for me as a souvenir from his Grand Canyon filed trip. I finally got around to reading it and am so glad I did. I found it to be very interesting and made me want to visit the Grand Canyon to check out what's left of her buildings. It also made me wish I could have seen it during the heyday of the Fred Harvey company. The description of the Harvey Girls was really fascinating.
Terris
Feb 20, 2008 Terris added it
i am a constant student a design architecture. this limilt bio of mary colter is inspiring for all woman. as a man I would have loved to spend evening after work chatting about the channages of the day
Terris
Terry
Aug 22, 2011 Terry rated it liked it
Colter was a designer-architect. I guess it's appropriate that the book was about the buildings she designed as much as, or more than, about her, personally.
NancyS
Aug 26, 2013 NancyS rated it really liked it
A good book about a woman years & years ahead of her time. It also included many photos and details of her work.
Dawn
Oct 31, 2013 Dawn rated it really liked it
Great biography of architect and interior designer in the 20's, 30's and 40's. Amazing spaces she designed.
Joanna
Jun 23, 2013 Joanna rated it really liked it
I learned so much about the Santa Fe style and some railroad history as well.
Mary
Jan 04, 2010 Mary marked it as to-read
Shelves: not-in-library
Saw at G C bookstore
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Darlene
Darlene rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2016
Sheryl
Sheryl marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Gmoney.gold
Gmoney.gold marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
P
P rated it really liked it
May 21, 2016
Abby Shapiro
Abby Shapiro marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Eva bookworm
Eva bookworm rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2016
Jenny
Jenny rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2016
Donna B
Donna B rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Sheri
Sheri added it
Jan 21, 2016
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Laura rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2015
Jenelle
Jenelle rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2015
Laurie Bragg
Laurie Bragg rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2015
Valerie P
Valerie P rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2015
Pamela Priest
Pamela Priest marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015