Start by marking “Red Earth, White Earth” as Want to Read:
Red Earth, White Earth

Red Earth, White Earth

Having fled his family’s farm at eighteen with a promise never to return, Guy Pehrsson is drawn back into his past when he receives his grandfather’s ominous letter, “Trouble here. Come home when you can.” He returns to discover a place both wholly familiar and barely recognizable and is cast into the center of an interracial land dispute with the exigencies of war.   Wide ...more
Published November 15th 2006 by Borealis Books (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Red Earth, White Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Earth, White Earth

Patty
May 09, 2017 Patty rated it liked it
Interesting book set in N. Minnesota in the 1980s and the struggles between local white farmers who live on a reservation. I thought it was good but the ending seemed rushed.
Tonstant Weader
Sep 05, 2016 Tonstant Weader rated it really liked it
Shelves: literature
It’s strange that I have not read Red Earth, White Earth by Will Weaver years ago. After all, it takes place where I grew up, on White Earth Indian Reservation, and focuses on the controversy that inflamed racial tensions on the Reservation for many of my school years.

It tells the story of a friendship that began and childhood and stayed strong and true despite a ten year absence. It is also a story of a son finding a way to love his father. There’s another story, a romance between a laid-back C
Susan Sink
Jan 02, 2016 Susan Sink rated it really liked it
I finally bought this book because I kept checking it out of the library every few years.

Will Weaver is a wonderful storyteller (he wrote the story that the film "Sweet land" is based on). He's in the upper echelon for me as Midwestern storytellers go, though he doesn't get the recognition.

This book is dated, I admit. It is (by and?) about a guy who loves a good muscle car. The love interest feels more like a working-class-guy's fantasy than a real woman. Read this book for the farming and the
Linda Kenny
Aug 24, 2016 Linda Kenny rated it really liked it
i am an admirer of Will Weaver's short stories but it took me a while to settle into reading this book. The tension between farmer and native american over land is a continuing issue. Someone said this book was dated but in reality it captures a point in time, in history. In today's news its native americans trying to stop a pipeline across sacred land. In reality we still struggle to understand the attachment to land. That to me is the crux of this book.
Joshua
Jul 26, 2011 Joshua rated it really liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
I love Weaver's descriptions of the earth...his mindfulness of its impact on our lives, our stories, our minds and thoughts. It's completely Steinbeckian, but afresh and modern in its view and interpretation. There are a few overtly sexual elements I wish didn't tarnish the purity of the story—they just aren't necessary in my opinion. Overall, I love his writing and this book is quintessential Weaver.

If you're interested, try his short stories first. But DO try them.
Michael
Jun 27, 2010 Michael rated it really liked it
For some reason, this book reminds me a lot of Jon Hassler's first novel Staggerford. The central character in Staggerford, spends a lot of time trying to broker peace between disputing peoples, and finds himself shot by the novel's end. Tom Littlewolf, in that regard, (oh, spoiler alert), dies believing his cause is furthered by restraining from violence, and allowing diplomacy and legislation to do what he believes violence can not. (Spoiler Alert).
Ken Yliniemi
Jan 19, 2016 Ken Yliniemi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great read, that was also made into a movie about the native american land debate in northern Minnesota. It is close to home for me, and was exciting to read this great novel by Will Weaver who is also from that area.
Julie
Jul 18, 2009 Julie rated it it was amazing
This was an amazing story about family and friendships in northern Minnesota. The story knits the characters together like an ill fitting sweater. Guy, Tom and Mary Ann are as vivid as Huckleberry Finn, Tom Sawyer and Becky Thatcher and just as rascally.
Terry
Nov 30, 2012 Terry rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Guy Pehrsson left the White Earth Reservation farm he grew up on and his disintegrating family as soon as he turned 18, vowing never to return. A cryptic message from his grandfather, however, brings him back to deal with the family and heritage that he had abandoned.
Shannon
Jun 22, 2007 Shannon rated it it was amazing
Fictional story set on White Earth Indian Reservation. Deals with land rights, racism and country living. By Bemidji native.
Trish Freed
May 01, 2013 Trish Freed rated it really liked it
Quite moving - completely absorbing and disturbing novel about discrimination against Native Americans in a farming community of Minnesota.
Dan Bob
Apr 13, 2009 Dan Bob rated it liked it
Very interesting, nice north west minnesota atmosphere. For the most part an engaging book, but there's some totally unnecessary and gross sexual stuff.
Tibia
Tibia rated it really liked it
May 17, 2015
Gina Hoggan
Gina Hoggan rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2016
Hans Brakob
Hans Brakob rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2015
April
April rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2014
Joann Hauger
Joann Hauger rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2014
Tonya
Tonya rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2014
Judy
Judy rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2012
Marilyn
Marilyn rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2014
Keith Reierson
Keith Reierson rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2014
Jane Gehr
Jane Gehr rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2014
Scott Wrobel
Scott Wrobel rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2007
Allison Waggoner
Allison Waggoner rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2012
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2014
Andrea
Andrea rated it it was ok
Apr 21, 2013
John
John rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2014
Margaret Springle
Margaret Springle rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2016
Paula
Paula rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2013
Erika
Erika rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Dandelions in a Jelly Jar
  • Abercrombie Trail
  • The Girl I Left Behind: A Narrative History of the Sixties
  • A Place to Come Home to (Whispering Pines)
  • Walk By Faith
  • Beneath the Ice (Perry Sachs #2)
  • Pocketful of Pearls (Elect Trilogy, #2)
  • In Every Pew Sits a Broken Heart: Hope for the Hurting
  • Grass Beyond the Mountains: Discovering the Last Great Cattle Frontier on the North American Continent
  • The Book of Myself: A Do-It Yourself Autobiography in 20 Questions
  • Advice to a Young Wife from An Old Mistress
  • The Sweet Hell Inside: The Rise of an Elite Black Family in the Segregated South
  • Where No Gods Came
  • Had Enough?: A Handbook for Fighting Back
  • Shadow of Ashland (Ashland #1)
  • In the Face of Jinn
  • Meditation Secrets for Women: Discovering Your Passion, Pleasure, and Inner Peace
  • Deal With It!: You Cannot Conquer What You Will Not Confront
I grew up in the Midwest, and had no idea I'd become a writer one day. However I gradually felt a need to tell my own stories. To explain, in writing, how I saw the world.

Today I'm a full time writer with 13 novels, many short stories, and two movie adaptations. I enjoy visiting schools and libraries, and sharing what I've learned about writing–and just hanging out with teachers and their students
More about Will Weaver...