Start by marking “Last Stand at Majuba Hill (Simon Fonthill, #4)” as Want to Read:
Last Stand at Majuba Hill (Simon Fonthill, #4)

Last Stand at Majuba Hill (Simon Fonthill #4)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  88 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
It is 1881, and General George Pomeroy-Colley, commander of the British forces in Natal, is planning to stamp out a rebellion. He is convinced the Transvaal Boers can pose no serious threat, but he needs reliable information. He calls on former army captain Simon Fonthill.

A veteran of the recent Zulu and Sekukuni campaigns, Fonthill knows to never underestimate the enemy.
Published September 6th 2007 by Headline (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Last Stand at Majuba Hill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Stand at Majuba Hill

Bill
May 24, 2010 Bill rated it liked it
I started this book with some trepidation since I felt the third book in the series was a disappointment, but was soon caught up in the adventure and now believe this was the best in the series so far. I knew nothing about the Boer War and was caught surprised at the resolution. In fact, Wilcox's settings are what make the books fascinating, highlighting little known battles and wars (with the exception of the first book which takes place during the Zulu War, culminating in the famous Battle of ...more
Ron Decaigny
Feb 26, 2010 Ron Decaigny rated it really liked it
I read historic fiction primarily as a more enjoyable way to broaden my historical knowledge, as opposed to usually fairly dry non fiction tombs. I have read all of John Wilcox's series and have found them well researched, nicely plotted and populated with interesting and likeable characters,
A real plus for me is they are placed in a period that hasn't been written to death ( Rorkes Drift notwitstanding)So we are reading about out of the mainstream wars and battles and the people and political
Noirfifre
Jun 26, 2013 Noirfifre rated it liked it
One of those novels you like but... The story is likeable but the manner in which the war broke out and the tactics used were at times mind bogling: like the survival of some characters without a scratch but that happens in war.

SOmetimes I felt the description of the people were forced, affecting at times the flow of the story for me. In addition that bit of romance between Anne and Simon was well, awkward.
John Strohm
Sep 21, 2011 John Strohm rated it liked it
Not a bad British military book. It's got the particular British focus on class and breeding. As the author is British, his books seem to focus not on glamorous British victories, but instead on defeats. It's the only culture I know that celebrates failure so readily.

While this book won't give you any great insights into the British empire, nor is it a great work of literature, it is an enjoyable read and thoroughly realistic.
Richard
Jul 10, 2016 Richard rated it liked it
The first Simon Fonthill novel I read was Road to Kandihar which I thoroughly enjoyed. I have read a number since and while most are readable I find the odd one a little bit uneven and padded out. This one I felt, ended almost abruptly. It did benefit, however, from not having Simon's love interest, Alice, being shoehorned into the story which tends to skew the main plot line. On the whole this is one of the better stories in the series shining light on the beginning of the Boer conflicts.
Doug
Jul 16, 2015 Doug rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John Wilcox is a great story teller.If you have ever read any of the Flashman books you will enjoy these stories of Simon Fonthill.He is a much tamer English officer but still thoroughly enjoyable.Graham Padden does an excellent job as the reader.
James Porter
James Porter rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2015
Alastair
Alastair rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2016
Tony Heath
Tony Heath rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2014
Jeremy Webb
Jeremy Webb rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2013
Dominic
Dominic rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2012
Norbert
Norbert rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2014
Juliet Donnelly
Juliet Donnelly rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2016
Roger
Roger rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2012
Matthew Harris
Matthew Harris rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2012
Ed
Ed rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2008
Jackson Gregory
Jackson Gregory rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2013
GREGORY T DAY
GREGORY T DAY rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2015
Scott Wilson
Scott Wilson rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2009
Ian
Ian rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2011
Chris Roberts
Chris Roberts rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2013
Andrew White
Andrew White rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Robin Carter
Robin Carter rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2012
Neil Birchall
Neil Birchall rated it really liked it
May 14, 2011
Jim Baliker
Jim Baliker rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2016
Matt Paul
Matt Paul rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2015
David Anderson
David Anderson rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2013
Kate Wachs
Kate Wachs rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2012
Victor Klingelhofer
Victor Klingelhofer rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2015
Roy Johnson
Roy Johnson rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
John Wilcox started out as a local reporter and journalist in Birmingham before spending many years in industry, which took him all round the world. He finally sold his company to devote himself to writing full-time. He lives in Salisbury.
More about John Wilcox...

Simon Fonthill (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Horns of the Buffalo (Simon Fonthill, #1)
  • The Road to Kandahar (Simon Fonthill, #2)
  • The Diamond Frontier (Simon Fonthill, #3)
  • The Guns of El Kebir (Simon Fonthill, #5)
  • Siege of Khartoum (Simon Fonthill, #6)
  • The Shangani Patrol (Simon Fonthill, #7)
  • The War of the Dragon Lady (Simon Fonthill, #8)
  • Fire Across the Veldt