Start by marking “Alton Locke, Tailor and Poet: An Autobiography” as Want to Read:
Alton Locke, Tailor and Poet: An Autobiography

Alton Locke, Tailor and Poet: An Autobiography

WITH A MEMOIR BY THOMAS HUGHES ESQ. Q.C.
Published November 30th 2005 by Adamant Media Corporation (first published 1850)

To ask other readers questions about Alton Locke, Tailor and Poet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alton Locke, Tailor and Poet

Eliza
Sep 28, 2016 Eliza rated it it was ok
The best thing about reading this book is reading all the books you can read after reading this book.
Alice
Mar 05, 2015 Alice rated it it was ok
Recommended to Alice by: University reading list
As one of the first novels to really support the rights of the English poor its descriptions of both rural and urban destitution are interesting accounts that did influence some public thought. However, as a novel, Kingsley's tale is often long winded, dense and in the case of some characters unreadable.

While this Chartist novel is an important text for the movement and for literary analysis of the time period I wouldn't recommend it as a 'classic read'. For an easier time I'd stick with Dicken
Rod White
Apr 11, 2015 Rod White rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished
This is really an amazing read, gritty, realistic. Gives you a view of London that is rarely seen. A wide range of characters and all unique. Sandy Mackay is apparently based on Thomas Carlyle. A story of the chartist uprisings, one of the first socialist uprisings. This book has really changed my life. It was written at a time when fiction writing was relatively new and the writing is very fresh and exciting, with innovative twists, such as the author commenting on the events and adding his own ...more
Lisa
Dec 11, 2008 Lisa rated it liked it
That cholera, although a condition alluded to in the background of Alton's experiences, might not actually have a large role in the story as I'd thought when I saw that Mackey's "The Cholera Chaunt" was reprinted within it. Seems its an example of a poem young Alton thinks of as poetic perfection. I don't think I can agree... neither would Vendler.
pearl
I wanted to read a book about tailors, so, well, here I am. Will I regret this? We shall see!

Update:
Boring and kind of smarmy because of the protagonist, though (of course) I liked the parts about the tailoring business. May pick it up again later.
Nathan
Nathan rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2013
Rosemarie
Rosemarie rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it liked it
Nov 24, 2013
Elaine
Elaine rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2012
Ali Unwin
Ali Unwin rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2010
Peter
Peter rated it liked it
May 27, 2012
Nedda
Nedda rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2013
Yvonne
Yvonne rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2013
Molly
Molly rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2012
Mériam Slimen
Mériam Slimen rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2016
Simon
Simon rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2013
Nimboo
Nimboo rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2016
Reuben
Reuben rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2016
Peter
Peter rated it it was ok
Nov 19, 2012
Mark Wallace
Mark Wallace rated it it was ok
May 27, 2014
Jude Brigley
Jude Brigley rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2011
Amanda Bostock
Amanda Bostock rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2012
Pj
Pj rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2014
Violet Sky
Violet Sky rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2013
Sarah rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2014
Erich Wendt
Erich Wendt rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2013
Zoeeloise
Zoeeloise rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2013
Deborah Rees
Deborah Rees rated it it was ok
Mar 08, 2015
Charles Kingsley was an English clergyman, university professor, historian, and novelist, particularly associated with the West Country and north-east Hampshire.

He was educated at Helston Grammar School before studying at King's College London, and the University of Cambridge. Charles entered Magdalene College, Cambridge in 1838, and graduated in 1842. He chose to pursue a ministry in the church.
More about Charles Kingsley...