Start by marking “Dragonquest (Pern: Dragonriders of Pern, # 2)” as Want to Read:
Dragonquest (Pern: Dragonriders of Pern, # 2)

Dragonquest (Pern (Publication Order) #2)

4.08  ·  Rating Details ·  32,756 Ratings  ·  529 Reviews
Another Turn, and the deadly silver Threads began falling again. So the bold dragonriders took to the air once more and their magnificent flying dragons swirled and swooped, belching flames that destroyed the shimmering strands before they reach the ground.
But F'lar knew he had to find a better way to protect his beloved Pern, and he had to find it before the rebellious O
Audio, 0 pages
Published September 1st 1993 by Bookcassette (first published May 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Dragonquest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragonquest

Judah Nielsen
So, this is the second book of a trilogy, and then there's another trilogy, and then some other books, and when you've tallied it all up, you have something like 27 books in the series. And I've read the first two, but unless I get pneumonia and my reading time suddenly quadruples, I'm probably done, and I feel strange about it, because when all is said and done, I don't hate these books.

The setting is imaginative. The stories move along at a good pace. The stories are interesting. If that was a
Punk
Aug 01, 2011 Punk rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, fantasy, dragons
Fantasy. Again, this book teaches that the way to a woman's heart is through dubious consent. This time it's just F'nor being a dick; horny telepathic dragons had nothing to do with it. Apparently our hero sees nothing wrong with having sex with a woman who is "fighting him." He's also a big fan of domestic violence: "It was too bad you couldn't beat a Weyrwoman with impunity. Her dragon wouldn't permit it but a sound thrashing was what Kylara badly needed."

Look, I didn't like Kylara either. No
Stephen
2.5 stars. A decent sequel to Dragonflight. The world created by McCaffrey was well done as was the description of the "link" between dragon and rider. The plot and some of the characters failed to keep my interest the entire time and I did find myself waiting for something to happen. Overall, decent but not great.

Nominee: Hugo Award Best Science Fiction Novel
Nominee: Locus Award for Best Science Fiction Novel
Kerry
Aug 22, 2012 Kerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, 8, sf, reread, 2012
I've always liked this book in the Pern series, probably more than I like Dragonflight. I really like F'nor and Brekke and the introduction of the fire lizards. It's also in this book that the characters really start to begin discovering their history and the technology of the Ancients, which is a trope I generally always really like in SF/Fantasy. I love those cross-over books that feel like fantasy but you discover have a solid, SF premise underneath.

I absorbed the Pern books so long ago in my
Rachel (Kalanadi)
Nov 24, 2015 Rachel (Kalanadi) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
More satisfying emotionally than Dragonflight. Lots of changes being put in motion. This book is heavily concerned with challenging traditions of all kinds. F'lar and F'nor are definitely the main characters rather than Lessa* and I remain frustrated with some of their actions and views on women.

F'nor's scene with Brekke was the worst part (more not so consensual sex presented as swooningly romantic) but overall less of the stupid underlying misogyny and infantalizing/domination of women by men.
Edward Rathke
Jul 21, 2016 Edward Rathke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are peculiar books that are beginning to take on an interesting shape.

The first novel is something I would probably describe as misogynistic, classist, and maybe racist (in what it implies about genetic superiority), and for about half of this I was thinking the same thing. It's odd reading a book written by a woman that seems pretty hateful towards women. Not that women can't be misogynists--it's just not what I expect out of a writer who is a woman.

There's at least an implicit argument i
Don Bradshaw
Buddy read with Vivian.
This installment was much more political with less thread fighting as some major changes are made on Pern. F'lar has always been a leader but tried to give the leadership over all away but was forced to take it. Somehow F'lar as been cast as the bad guy in some reader's minds because he tends to hold his cards close to his chest. If the poor guy shared most of his thoughts of his imagined future for Pern he would have a revolution on his hands. There were some amazing di
Mike (the Paladin)
Well, we found out dragons can travel in time as well as space, and people from the past don't get along well with people in the present...
Alsha
Sep 27, 2015 Alsha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I still love this book for what it is and for what it sets up. At the same time, I was totally bowled over by a certain dubious consent scene and other attitudes legitimising domestic violence that weren't part of my awareness when I first read these books (many times) as a teenager. They alter my fondness for a character I otherwise like very much and a relationship that I always viewed very positively. Disappointing. The words might not change, but times and attitudes do. A fascinating way to ...more
Barbara ★
I've been very reluctant to continue this series though I did try a month or so ago to read Dragonquest and was so darn confused that I gave up on it. I need it for a challenge so decided to give it another try. Again it's very confusing but I'm determined to read it this time since I've already committed to White Dragon for August. Hopefully I'll be able to stomach another one.

Like the first book, this has a very slow start that takes a good 100 pages before everything began to make sense and I
Ricky Ganci
Jan 01, 2012 Ricky Ganci rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jumping ahead 7 Turns, I felt like this book settled me into the continued plot very comfortably. She became a bit longer-winded in this volume, spending a bit more time with character’s thoughts and reflections of events, but only once or twice did I feel distracted from the story and the danger of the Threadfall. F’nor takes a centerpiece in this novel, and it felt natural, being totally separate from the first book, which centered on F’lar and Lessa (both of whom appear in this book), who hav ...more
Juushika
When Thread begins to fall out of schedule Pern is thrown into high agitation, aggravating troubled political relationships and sending dragonriders on a new quest: to stop the threat of Thread for good. For such a bold aim, Dragonquest is markedly undirected. It discards the flawed but compelling POVs of Dragonflight and replaces them with an ensemble cast, headhopping, and a pair of inspired minor protagonists. While largely political the plot lacks politicking (McCaffrey's antagonists are pro ...more
Anastasia
Jul 02, 2008 Anastasia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2008
Initial impression: So far, slower and more boring than the first, with more traditional gender roles.

Final conclusion: It seems like maybe Anne McCaffrey had nothing going on so she decided to try to write a follow-up to Dragonflight, but when she started, she couldn't figure out what to write about. Not much happens in this book-- really just a bunch of boring arguing. Some of the times/dates are off, with certain characters being too young or too old to mesh with what did/didn't happen in the
Curtiss
Apr 25, 2012 Curtiss rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has my favorite scene in the entire series in which brownrider F'nor 'impresses' a newly-hatched queen firelizard while recuperating on a sandy beach of the Southern continent. The little golden queen even flies 'between' from fright at the sight of his dragon Canth, and F'nor realizes with awe that the legends are true about the dragons having been bred from firelizards by the long-lost technology of the ancients.

When F'nor mentions his conclusions to his dragon, Canth's reply is a subdued
Gillian Murrell
Jun 19, 2016 Gillian Murrell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wobble-2016
Another trip down memory land to the land of Pern. Once you get your head around all the names of the people and dragons its smooth sailing into this brilliant story. I particularly love when the Eggs hatch :)
Marie Malyon
May 21, 2012 Marie Malyon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was lent this book along with nine others in the series by a good friend along with the recommendation they are his favourite fantasy books. I have to say now that I am at the second in the series I have not been let down.

Don't let the publication date of 1971 put you off! This has some seriously well developed female characters of Lessa, Kylara & Brekke who I fell in love with in this book. The developing relationships, emotional turmoils and childhood scandals appealed to me greatly and
Kelly Flanagan
Whenever I find that I can't get 'into' any of the books I brought home from the library, or any I have been waiting to read,I find certain series to be cathartic. Certain writers (sometimes it's a series, sometimes it's the built in rhythm that is inherent in whatever way that person chooses to communicate.)have that chicken soup, warm cuddly blanket feel and are able to help when no other books do. Anne McCaffrey is one of these. I find I am able to turn to the world of Pern or one of her othe ...more
Erin
Jan 04, 2013 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Despite the fact that this one was apparently written as a whole where the first book was written as a handful of short stories glued together, the first book seemed to have a more cohesive plot. There was just a lot of unrelated stuff happening in this one. And all that stuff was telegraphed way in advance (just happening to introduce new characters and getting to see things from their point of view for a dozen pages or so) so there wasn't even an element of surprise to make things interesting. ...more
Katherine Coble
Ugh. This book.

Yes, I'm giving it four stars. Yes, I really really liked it.

So where did the fifth star go?

I'll tell you.

It disappeared.

Just like the scene where a villain of the story--whom we've seen from their POV, been inside their head--gets comeuppance for doing a violent and horrible thing.

Readers need closure. If we've watched calumny and nefarious wickedness of a character, it is only right and fair that we get to experience that character's reckoning and consequences.

That doesn't
Matt
Aug 10, 2015 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little better than book one, the characters are a little more well rounded.
So, good news, so far the series IS improving with each book!
Jerry
Mar 02, 2015 Jerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In my review of Dragonflight, I compared that starter Pern novel to a series premiere of a television show; although it was a bit rough around the edges, it showed some signs of promise. Dragonquest, although still not perfect, was an improvement over its prequel. The story was just as good, and the writing was better. Now, I just hope that the upswing continues throughout the rest of the Pern series, as long as it is.
Tehani
Jan 08, 2016 Tehani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, fantasy, rereading
Marisol and I are rereading and reviewing Pern. Our Dragonquest review is here: http://fablecroft.com.au/miscellaneou...
Vivian
Oct 12, 2014 Vivian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
10/2014 Buddy Reread with Don as we transverse the past to remember what we have forgotten.

Holy Crackerdoodle!

There was a lot going on in this story. No time to breath. F'lar's nonstop strategizing, planning, brooding set everyone on edge in this one. Man's gonna get someone killed trying to guess his intentions and eager to save him from the inherent danger in his machinations.

Pern is still a seething pit of politics and with the acerbating attitudes of the Oldtimers there is major conflict an
fromcouchtomoon
How can two consecutive books from the same series be so vastly different? Despite the fact that Dragonflight and Dragonquest share weak writing, clunky dialogue, plot holes, the former is considerably more enjoyable than the latter. Dragonflight is an interesting story, with some writing mistakes. Dragonquest is just a boring story, written poorly.

Click here for my review of Dragonflight: (The Dragonriders of Pern #1)

F’lar, the weyrleader of the dragonriders of Pern, is facing unrest among his
Amita
Apr 14, 2013 Amita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I thought this book was a big improvement from Dragonflight. F'lar and Lessa are significantly less annoying this time around, due mostly to their already established relationship and leadership. No shaking or yelling or lack of communication this time around; they're partners and bring out the best in each other. They're also not the only major characters, thankfully. I really enjoyed Jaxom's plot, both in his relationship with Lytol and his experience with dragons. The scene where he (view spo ...more
Brendan
Mar 27, 2016 Brendan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was significantly better than the first book, and the author lost a lot of their weird turns of phrase (like the time it takes to cough 3 times). The story flowed better and was aided by chapter headings which helped you mark the passage of time--which was a serious flaw in the first book.

My big problem with this book is halfway through I realized that what was causing the tension was a lot of minor squabbling. There didn't seem to be a cohesive threat (even with the Thread) to make t
Lisa
Apr 21, 2014 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I could just ignore the fact that F'nor essentially raped Brekke (quote: "He wanted to be gentle but, unaccountabley, Brekke fought him. She pleaded with him, crying out wildly that they'd rouse the sleeping Wirenth. He wasn't gentle but he was thorough, and, in the end, Brekke astounded him with a surrender as passionate as if her dragon had been involved.), I'd have enjoyed more of the story-telling. The gender politics are horrific, but I keep reminding myself of the time in which the stor ...more
Donnie
Jul 21, 2011 Donnie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
First of all I did not read the entire book,that being said it was because I could not stay interested. There was too much small uninteresting nonsense,to much focus on the mundane and not enough focus on important subject matter. This book would be good for me if I was a person who just read to fill my time,however I'm not. I like being submersed in a story so I can live an adventure or just be entertained.Sadly I just lost interest.Most of the time (while reading) I was thinking about previou ...more
Vasya
Mar 30, 2012 Vasya rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ugh, I find myself really frustrated with these books. I've been eyeing them for years in my library, but always found something else to read because it had a nicer cover, but I didn't expect that I would be this disappointed.

It's all about politics. It's all about order and timetables and having yourself matter the most. I expected this to be something adventurous, something that was going to blow my mind of but instead I got this politically oriented, bad Sci-Fi, with no battles or real argum
Célia
"A Demanda do Dragão" é o segundo livro da saga sci-fi Dragonriders of Pern, no qual a escritora Anne McCaffrey volta ao mundo fictício de Pern para acompanharmos as aventuras e desventuras dos Cavaleiros e dos seus dragões. Neste volume, acompanhamos a luta dos Cavaleiros não só contra os maléficos Fios, que começam a cair da Estrela Vermelha de forma inesperada, mas também contra os Veteranos (trazidos do passado por Lessa), que insistem em manter as tradições contra todas as evidências.

Tratou
A Million More Pages: 2 - Dragonquest (Pern): Jun 1 44 27 Jul 25, 2015 11:56AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #109 - Dragonquest 1 2 Jul 02, 2015 12:27PM
  • The People of Pern
  • The Atlas of Pern
  • The Dragonlover's Guide to Pern
  • The Forbidden Tower (Darkover, #12)
  • Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight #1
  • The Oathbound (Valdemar: Vows and Honor, #1)
  • A Dragon-Lover's Treasury of the Fantastic
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Anne was educated at Stuart Hall in Staunton Virginia, Montclair High Scho
More about Anne McCaffrey...

Pern (Publication Order) (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Dragonflight (Dragonriders of Pern, #1)
  • Dragonsong (Harper Hall, #1)
  • Dragonsinger (Harper Hall, #2)
  • The White Dragon (Pern, #3)
  • Dragondrums (Harper Hall, #3)
  • Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern (Pern, #7)
  • Nerilka's Story (Pern, #8)
  • Dragonsdawn (Pern, #9)
  • The Renegades of Pern (Pern, #10)
  • All the Weyrs of Pern (Pern, #11)

“There wasn’t a man alive in Pern who hadn’t secretly cherished the notion that he might be able to Impress a dragon. That he could be linked for life to the love and sustaining admiration of these gentle great beasts. That he could transverse Pern in a twinkling, astride his dragon. That he would never suffer the loneliness that was the condition of most men - a dragonrider always had his dragon.” 9 likes
“La experiencia real es el conocimiento” 0 likes