Start by marking “Lost Without My Daughter” as Want to Read:
Lost Without My Daughter

Lost Without My Daughter

In 1987, American housewife Betty Mahmoody published Not Without My Daughter, which became a sensation. In the book, Betty claimed that she and Mahtob, her five-year-old daughter, had been kidnapped from the USA in 1984 and imprisoned in Tehran by her Iranian husband, Dr Sayed Mahmoody - aka 'Moody' - a man she vilified as a violent, sadistic monster.
Betty's story culmin
Published December 3rd 2013 by Thistle Publishing (first published December 2nd 2013)

Merja Pohjola
Sep 15, 2014 Merja Pohjola rated it liked it
I won't give this book any stars, because I am so familiar with "Not without my daughter". So, this book really made me think whether I too am a victim of propaganda. True, when I saw the film and the end with the American flag and "we're home" I wanted to gag. No other nation is so darn proud of itself - and without any reason... I am sorry my American friends, but it is true! However, I do know the problems with female rights in Islamic countries (would be stupid if I didn't...) and I hate ...more
Anne Mackelvie
Jan 01, 2015 Anne Mackelvie rated it liked it
Hmmm, now who do I believe????
Chris Bedell
Feb 15, 2016 Chris Bedell rated it liked it
When words fail...

It's difficult to read this book. Not least because the syntax and grammar, as well as the narrative, are poorly executed. However, it should be read.

I read NWMD in the early 90s, through a teenagers eyes. Then, a few months ago, I read Mahtob's book. That, of course, led to this book. As has been said by others, collecting all facets of the story is important...which is why this book should be read. I have no doubt that Mahtob and Betty are telling the truth about Moody's abus
Sa
Mar 23, 2016 Sa rated it it was ok
The book was not so much about his family or his daughter as it was about the social and political aspects of the Iran/Iraqi war. Mahmoody argues against claims made by his wife, but then proceeds to gloss over his account of things, focusing instead primarily on his discussion of the war.

For me, who has both read the book and seen the film based on his wife's accounts, I felt that despite hers being seemingly too over-dramatized and exaggerated to be completely believable, his was far too sanit
Sheila Pritchard
Oct 20, 2014 Sheila Pritchard rated it really liked it
Absolutely fascinating! I didn't read or watch the movie of "not without my daughter" written by his wife. But this certainly shows the other side of the story. It also reveals a lot about life in Iran. A very good reminder not to make assumptions about people or about a culture. Very sad that Mahmody never did achieve justice or get to see his daughter again.
Tracy Roberts
May 26, 2016 Tracy Roberts marked it as to-read
I only got to read a sample.it all started with one of those "where are they now?" Moments. (Betty and Mahtob) That's how I found about Dr. Mahmoody's book. I was curious. What little I read didn't surprise me. Caught in a nightmare of his own making, of course he's not going to incriminate himself. I would still like to read the rest of his book.
Kourosh Keshavarz
Aug 28, 2014 Kourosh Keshavarz rated it it was amazing
What a brilliant read. 20 years after being shocked by Betty's story it was great to read the husband's story and realise that there are indeed two sides to any story. This is a must read!
Cheryl Ward
Cheryl Ward rated it did not like it
Apr 07, 2016
sue binder
sue binder rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2014
Maimona Javed
Maimona Javed rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2015
ajit
ajit rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2016
Tracey A
Tracey A rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2015
Vinita
Vinita rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2015
kapil
kapil rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2016
Francine
Francine rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2016
Anita Gupte
Anita Gupte rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2016
Michelle Tibbs
Michelle Tibbs rated it it was ok
Oct 26, 2015
Manashi Chatterjee
Manashi Chatterjee rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2016
Amber
Amber rated it it was ok
Apr 12, 2016
Mrs Dawn Wells
Mrs Dawn Wells rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2016
Liz Laslett
Liz Laslett rated it it was ok
Apr 11, 2015
Sara
Sara rated it did not like it
Feb 09, 2014
Janet Currie
Janet Currie rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2015
Mitzi Sandman
Mitzi Sandman rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2016
Jan Hemphill
Jan Hemphill rated it it was ok
Mar 27, 2015
Alan Simpson
Alan Simpson rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2016
Delaine
Delaine rated it did not like it
Feb 26, 2016
Edna Harvey
Edna Harvey rated it it was ok
Dec 31, 2015
Hellen Guerrero
Hellen Guerrero rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2015
Hayley
Hayley rated it it was ok
Jul 09, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
  • My Name Is Mahtob: The Story that Began the Global Phenomenon Not Without My Daughter Continues
  • Brave Enough: Getting Over Our Fears, Flaws, and Failures to Live Bold and Free
  • Forgotten Victory - The First World War: Myths and Reality
  • The Colonel's Mistake
  • The Songmaster
  • Dolphin Diaries: My 25 Years with Spotted Dolphins in the Bahamas
  • A Sunlit Absence: Silence, Awareness, and Contemplation
  • 12 Days at Silver Bells House (Swallow's Fall #2)
  • Creative Coloring Inspirations: Art Activity Pages to Relax and Enjoy!
  • To The Table: A Spirituality of Food, Farming, and the Community
  • The Owl, the Raven, and the Dove: The Religious Meaning of the Grimms' Magic Fairy Tales
  • The Randolph Family Saga, Book One: The Ballad of Tam Lin (Tam Lin, #1)
  • Becoming a Helper