Start by marking “Optics” as Want to Read:

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  347 ratings  ·  9 reviews

Accurate, authoritative and comprehensive, Optics, Fourth Edition has been revised to provide readers with the most up-to-date coverage of optics. The market leader for over a decade, this book provides a balance of theory and instrumentation, while also including the necessary classical background. The writing style is lively and accessible.

Hardcover, Fourth Edition, 680 pages
Published August 12th 2001 by Addison-Wesley (first published June 1st 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Optics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Optics

Mathieu Roy
2.5/5 so far

He takes a lot of space/time to explain some things; especially the easy things, not so much the more difficult ones where, instead, we're told "it can be shown that", but it's not explained how or which book/paper/website could tell us how.

He doesn't use the most popular sign conventions and doesn't justify why. The book contains some mistakes.

Some important tables could have been put on the covers. I'd prefer if the chapters would be separated in sections: theory, examples, applic
Ivan Idris
I had a course on Optics in my first year in University with this book. The book has lots of examples and is very “wordy”. I suspect the author hoped to make it a reference as well as a study book. The number of photos in “Optics” is unusually high for a Physics book. I wouldn’t mind if some of those were colour photos, but then again it would have made the book less affordable. Topics include:

Mathematics of Waves
Geometrical Optics

Overall, I would sa
Brett Williams
Keep at it, Eugene!

To be vitally human there are a few authors one must read - Shakespeare, Plato, Rousseau, Alan Bloom, and Eugene Hecht. With only limited exaggeration - notable among man's achievements is Hecht's new 4th edition of Optics. The first edition was the central (and only) text assigned in junior year optics for physics majors at many universities. As a near adolescent I was pleased by expert writing and well delivered humor in those far off years of college life.

The wonders of e
Nov 08, 2015 Adam rated it 4 of 5 stars
A really good book! It touches on everything that has to do with optics! My only problem with it is that it treats some subjects on a qualitative level, but that is a problem to someone who-like me- wants to know absolutely everything behind a phenomenon. One example for this is the case of evanescence waves and tunneling. This book just discusses evanescence waves but does not touch on tunneling(which is a shame, really). But again, I have only found one book(which is Howard Georgi's book on wa ...more
T Dodson
A great book with a lot of information on the behavior of light. A good balance of derivations and figures - and dense with text (but not too dense). I didn't give it 5 stars, because this seems more like an introductory text, and I feel like these topics go a lot deeper.
The explanations are mostly crystal-clear, crafted with great care. Lots of words and diagrams, not too much math, but enough math to facilitate useful calculations.
Rayan Enaya
Very useful book for photonics engineers and physicists . I consider it the holly book of optics. It covers many subjects in a very comprehendible way . Like for instance the subject of optical sensors is thoroughly covered in one chapter. I really love this book
Dheerajkc Kc
really the answers which were earlier unknown to me......has got logic behind every explaination
A nice thick optics textbook. It crushes bugs really well too.
樹言 林
樹言 林 marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2015
Katie marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Zach added it
Nov 14, 2015
Adnan Kaka
Adnan Kaka marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
Ritvik Choudhary
Ritvik Choudhary marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
Navya marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
Robert CHAU
Robert CHAU marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
  • Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences
  • The Feynman Lectures on Physics Vol 2
  • Principles of Quantum Mechanics
  • Modern Physics
  • Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos: With Applications to Physics, Biology, Chemistry, and Engineering
  • Introduction to Error Analysis: The Study of Uncertainties in Physical Measurements
  • Introduction to Solid State Physics
  • An Introduction to Modern Astrophysics
  • The Quantum Theory of Fields: Volume I, Foundations
  • Quantum Computation and Quantum Information
  • Quantum Physics of Atoms, Molecules, Solids, Nuclei, and Particles
  • Classical Dynamics of Particles and Systems

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »