Optics

Optics

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  158 ratings  ·  5 reviews

Accurate, authoritative and comprehensive, Optics, Fourth Edition has been revised to provide readers with the most up-to-date coverage of optics. The market leader for over a decade, this book provides a balance of theory and instrumentation, while also including the necessary classical background. The writing style is lively and accessible.

Hardcover, Fourth Edition, 680 pages
Published August 2nd 2001 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published June 1st 1974)

Ivan Idris
I had a course on Optics in my first year in University with this book. The book has lots of examples and is very “wordy”. I suspect the author hoped to make it a reference as well as a study book. The number of photos in “Optics” is unusually high for a Physics book. I wouldn’t mind if some of those were colour photos, but then again it would have made the book less affordable. Topics include:

Mathematics of Waves
Diffraction

Overall, I would sa...more
Mathieu Roy
2.5/5 so far

He takes a lot of space/time to explain some things; especially the easy things, not so much the more difficult ones where, instead, we're told "it can be shown that", but it's not explained how or which book/paper/website could tell us how.

He doesn't use the most popular sign conventions and doesn't justify why. The book contains some mistakes.

Some important tables could have been put on the covers. I'd prefer if the chapters would be separated in sections: theory, examples, applic...more
Rayan Enaya
Very useful book for photonics engineers and physicists . I consider it the holly book of optics. It covers many subjects in a very comprehendible way . Like for instance the subject of optical sensors is thoroughly covered in one chapter. I really love this book
Spencer
The explanations are mostly crystal-clear, crafted with great care. Lots of words and diagrams, not too much math, but enough math to facilitate useful calculations.
Dheerajkc Kc
really gud...........got the answers which were earlier unknown to me......has got logic behind every explaination
Mike
A nice thick optics textbook. It crushes bugs really well too.
Ryan Linton
Ryan Linton marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Saeed
Saeed marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Rahul Kumar
Rahul Kumar marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Wilco
Wilco marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
André Luiz
André Luiz marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Abhishek Pandey
Abhishek Pandey marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Yingying Luo
Yingying Luo marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Cyrus
Cyrus marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Julian Patton
Julian Patton marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Emil
Emil is currently reading it
Jun 24, 2014
Aaron
Aaron is currently reading it
Jun 20, 2014
Tyler Parksion
Tyler Parksion marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Modern Quantum Mechanics
  • Classical Mechanics
  • Introduction to Electrodynamics
  • Classical Electrodynamics
  • Principles of Quantum Mechanics (Hardcover)
  • Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences
  • The Art of Electronics
  • Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos: With Applications to Physics, Biology, Chemistry, and Engineering
  • DIV, Grad, Curl, and All That: An Informal Text on Vector Calculus
  • An Introduction to Modern Astrophysics
  • Microelectronic Circuits: Includes CD-ROM
  • The Feynman Lectures on Physics Vol 2
  • Gravitation
  • Advanced Engineering Mathematics
  • Calculus [With CDROM]
  • Cycles of Time: An Extraordinary New View of the Universe
  • A Field Guide to Stars and Planets (Peterson Field Guides)
  • Elementary Differential Equations And Boundary Value Problems
Schaum's Outline of Optics Physique Physics: Alg/Trig Vol 1 (Ch 1 -16) Physics: Alg/Trig Vol 2 (Ch 17 -33) Physics: Calculus