Start by marking “Optics” as Want to Read:
Optics

Optics

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  205 ratings  ·  7 reviews

Accurate, authoritative and comprehensive, Optics, Fourth Edition has been revised to provide readers with the most up-to-date coverage of optics. The market leader for over a decade, this book provides a balance of theory and instrumentation, while also including the necessary classical background. The writing style is lively and accessible.

Hardcover, Fourth Edition, 680 pages
Published August 12th 2001 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published June 1st 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Optics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Optics

Mathieu Roy
2.5/5 so far

He takes a lot of space/time to explain some things; especially the easy things, not so much the more difficult ones where, instead, we're told "it can be shown that", but it's not explained how or which book/paper/website could tell us how.

He doesn't use the most popular sign conventions and doesn't justify why. The book contains some mistakes.

Some important tables could have been put on the covers. I'd prefer if the chapters would be separated in sections: theory, examples, applic
Ivan Idris
I had a course on Optics in my first year in University with this book. The book has lots of examples and is very “wordy”. I suspect the author hoped to make it a reference as well as a study book. The number of photos in “Optics” is unusually high for a Physics book. I wouldn’t mind if some of those were colour photos, but then again it would have made the book less affordable. Topics include:

Mathematics of Waves
Light
Geometrical Optics
Polarization
Interference
Diffraction

Overall, I would sa
T Dodson
A great book with a lot of information on the behavior of light. A good balance of derivations and figures - and dense with text (but not too dense). I didn't give it 5 stars, because this seems more like an introductory text, and I feel like these topics go a lot deeper.
Rayan Enaya
Very useful book for photonics engineers and physicists . I consider it the holly book of optics. It covers many subjects in a very comprehendible way . Like for instance the subject of optical sensors is thoroughly covered in one chapter. I really love this book
Spencer
The explanations are mostly crystal-clear, crafted with great care. Lots of words and diagrams, not too much math, but enough math to facilitate useful calculations.
Dheerajkc Kc
really gud...........got the answers which were earlier unknown to me......has got logic behind every explaination
Mike
A nice thick optics textbook. It crushes bugs really well too.
Eric DeMarco
Eric DeMarco marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Mateusz
Mateusz marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Sukhpal
Sukhpal marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Jules
Jules marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
  • Modern Quantum Mechanics
  • Classical Mechanics
  • Introduction to Electrodynamics
  • Solid State Physics
  • Classical Electrodynamics
  • Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences
  • A First Course in General Relativity
  • Principles of Quantum Mechanics (Hardcover)
  • Classical Mechanics
  • The Art of Electronics
  • Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos: With Applications to Physics, Biology, Chemistry, and Engineering
  • Introduction to Solid State Physics
  • Course of Theoretical Physics : Mechanics (Course of Theoretical Physics)
  • Spacetime Physics
  • The Feynman Lectures on Physics Vol 3
  • DIV, Grad, Curl, and All That: An Informal Text on Vector Calculus
  • Classical Dynamics of Particles and Systems
  • Quantum Computation and Quantum Information (Cambridge Series on Information and the Natural Sciences)
Physique Schaum's Outline of Optics Physics: Calculus Physics: Alg/Trig Vol 1 (Ch 1 -16) Physics: Alg/Trig Vol 2 (Ch 17 -33)