Start by marking “Optics” as Want to Read:
Optics

Optics

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  257 ratings  ·  8 reviews

Accurate, authoritative and comprehensive, Optics, Fourth Edition has been revised to provide readers with the most up-to-date coverage of optics. The market leader for over a decade, this book provides a balance of theory and instrumentation, while also including the necessary classical background. The writing style is lively and accessible.

Hardcover, Fourth Edition, 680 pages
Published August 12th 2001 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published June 1st 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Optics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Optics

Mathieu Roy
2.5/5 so far

He takes a lot of space/time to explain some things; especially the easy things, not so much the more difficult ones where, instead, we're told "it can be shown that", but it's not explained how or which book/paper/website could tell us how.

He doesn't use the most popular sign conventions and doesn't justify why. The book contains some mistakes.

Some important tables could have been put on the covers. I'd prefer if the chapters would be separated in sections: theory, examples, applic
Ivan Idris
I had a course on Optics in my first year in University with this book. The book has lots of examples and is very “wordy”. I suspect the author hoped to make it a reference as well as a study book. The number of photos in “Optics” is unusually high for a Physics book. I wouldn’t mind if some of those were colour photos, but then again it would have made the book less affordable. Topics include:

Mathematics of Waves
Diffraction

Overall, I would sa
Brett Williams
Keep at it, Eugene!

To be vitally human there are a few authors one must read - Shakespeare, Plato, Rousseau, Alan Bloom, and Eugene Hecht. With only limited exaggeration - notable among man's achievements is Hecht's new 4th edition of Optics. The first edition was the central (and only) text assigned in junior year optics for physics majors at many universities. As a near adolescent I was pleased by expert writing and well delivered humor in those far off years of college life.

The wonders of e
T Dodson
A great book with a lot of information on the behavior of light. A good balance of derivations and figures - and dense with text (but not too dense). I didn't give it 5 stars, because this seems more like an introductory text, and I feel like these topics go a lot deeper.
Rayan Enaya
Very useful book for photonics engineers and physicists . I consider it the holly book of optics. It covers many subjects in a very comprehendible way . Like for instance the subject of optical sensors is thoroughly covered in one chapter. I really love this book
Spencer
The explanations are mostly crystal-clear, crafted with great care. Lots of words and diagrams, not too much math, but enough math to facilitate useful calculations.
Dheerajkc Kc
really gud...........got the answers which were earlier unknown to me......has got logic behind every explaination
Mike
A nice thick optics textbook. It crushes bugs really well too.
Matt Beam
Matt Beam marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Handrew Kharisma
Handrew Kharisma marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Ajay
Ajay marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Wilmer Torol
Wilmer Torol marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Ali Moussawi
Ali Moussawi marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
  • Modern Quantum Mechanics
  • Classical Mechanics
  • Solid State Physics
  • Introduction to Electrodynamics
  • Classical Electrodynamics
  • A First Course in General Relativity
  • Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences
  • Principles of Quantum Mechanics (Hardcover)
  • Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos: With Applications to Physics, Biology, Chemistry, and Engineering
  • The Art of Electronics
  • Classical Dynamics of Particles and Systems
  • Quantum Physics of Atoms, Molecules, Solids, Nuclei, and Particles
  • Introduction to Error Analysis: The Study of Uncertainties in Physical Measurements
  • Introduction to Solid State Physics
  • The Quantum Theory of Fields: Volume I, Foundations
  • Quantum Computation and Quantum Information (Cambridge Series on Information and the Natural Sciences)
  • The Feynman Lectures on Physics Vol 2
  • Course of Theoretical Physics: Vol. 1, Mechanics
Schaum's Outline of Optics Physique Physics: Calculus Physics: Alg/Trig Vol 1 (Ch 1 -16) Schaum's Outline of College Physics, 10th edition (Schaum's Outline Series)