Start by marking “Optics” as Want to Read:
Optics

Optics

Accurate, authoritative and comprehensive, Optics, Fourth Edition has been revised to provide readers with the most up-to-date coverage of optics. The market leader for over a decade, this book provides a balance of theory and instrumentation, while also including the necessary classical background. The writing style is lively and accessible.

Hardcover, Fourth Edition, 680 pages
Published August 12th 2001 by Addison-Wesley (first published June 1st 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Optics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Optics

Mathieu Roy
Jan 25, 2014 Mathieu Roy rated it liked it
Shelves: partly-read
2.5/5 so far

He takes a lot of space/time to explain some things; especially the easy things, not so much the more difficult ones where, instead, we're told "it can be shown that", but it's not explained how or which book/paper/website could tell us how.

He doesn't use the most popular sign conventions and doesn't justify why. The book contains some mistakes.

Some important tables could have been put on the covers. I'd prefer if the chapters would be separated in sections: theory, examples, applic
Ivan Idris
I had a course on Optics in my first year in University with this book. The book has lots of examples and is very “wordy”. I suspect the author hoped to make it a reference as well as a study book. The number of photos in “Optics” is unusually high for a Physics book. I wouldn’t mind if some of those were colour photos, but then again it would have made the book less affordable. Topics include:

Mathematics of Waves

Overall, I would sa
Brett Williams
Jan 30, 2015 Brett Williams rated it it was amazing
Keep at it, Eugene!

To be vitally human there are a few authors one must read - Shakespeare, Plato, Rousseau, Alan Bloom, and Eugene Hecht. With only limited exaggeration - notable among man's achievements is Hecht's new 4th edition of Optics. The first edition was the central (and only) text assigned in junior year optics for physics majors at many universities. As a near adolescent I was pleased by expert writing and well delivered humor in those far off years of college life.

The wonders of e
T Dodson
Oct 02, 2014 T Dodson rated it really liked it
A great book with a lot of information on the behavior of light. A good balance of derivations and figures - and dense with text (but not too dense). I didn't give it 5 stars, because this seems more like an introductory text, and I feel like these topics go a lot deeper.
Spencer
Jan 12, 2008 Spencer rated it liked it
The explanations are mostly crystal-clear, crafted with great care. Lots of words and diagrams, not too much math, but enough math to facilitate useful calculations.
Physicist-CY
Nov 08, 2015 Physicist-CY rated it really liked it
A really good book! It touches on everything that has to do with optics! My only problem with it is that it treats some subjects only on a qualitative level, but that is a problem to someone who-like me- wants to know absolutely everything behind a phenomenon. One example for this is the case of evanescence waves and tunneling. This book just discusses evanescence waves but does not touch on tunneling(which is a shame, really). But again, I have only found one book(which is Howard Georgi's book ...more
Rayan Enaya
Jun 07, 2013 Rayan Enaya rated it it was amazing
Very useful book for photonics engineers and physicists . I consider it the holly book of optics. It covers many subjects in a very comprehendible way . Like for instance the subject of optical sensors is thoroughly covered in one chapter. I really love this book
Dheerajkc Kc
Sep 21, 2012 Dheerajkc Kc rated it really liked it
really gud...........got the answers which were earlier unknown to me......has got logic behind every explaination
Mike
May 20, 2012 Mike rated it liked it
A nice thick optics textbook. It crushes bugs really well too.
Dianna
Dianna rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2015
Mounesh
Mounesh rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2015
Darein
Darein rated it it was ok
Nov 21, 2009
Zachary Butterfield
Zachary Butterfield rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2016
Alejandro
Alejandro rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2016
Hiang Kwek
Hiang Kwek rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2013
Akash Sharma
Akash Sharma rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2015
Eva
Eva rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Vijaya Shekhawat
Vijaya Shekhawat rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2015
Sidqi Fadhillah
Sidqi Fadhillah rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2016
Soleiila
Soleiila rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2016
서승우
서승우 rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2016
Kem
Kem rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2016
Faried Latief
Faried Latief rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2015
Taraneh Javanbakht
Taraneh Javanbakht rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2008
Prasannakumarreddy Gavireddy
Prasannakumarreddy Gavireddy rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2017
Bhargav
Bhargav rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2015
Nomi
Nomi rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2015
Ryan Godwin
Ryan Godwin rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2015
P Siva
P Siva rated it it was ok
Oct 12, 2015
Asha
Asha rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2015
  • Modern Quantum Mechanics
  • Solid State Physics
  • Classical Mechanics
  • Principles of Optics: Electromagnetic Theory of Propagation, Interference and Diffraction of Light
  • Introduction to Electrodynamics
  • A First Course in General Relativity
  • Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos: With Applications to Physics, Biology, Chemistry, and Engineering
  • Modern Physics
  • The Feynman Lectures on Physics Vol 2
  • Quantum Computation and Quantum Information
  • Introduction to Solid State Physics

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »