Start by marking “غزل های شکسپیر (Shakespeare's Sonnets)” as Want to Read:
غزل های شکسپیر (Shakespeare's Sonnets)

غزل های شکسپیر (Shakespeare's Sonnets)

4.24  ·  Rating Details ·  62,610 Ratings  ·  734 Reviews
This prize-winning work provides a facsimile of the 1609 Quarto printed in parallel with a conservatively edited, modernized text, as well as commentary that ranges from brief glosses to substantial critical essays. Stephen Booth’s notes help a modern reader toward the kind of understanding that Renaissance readers brought to the works.
204 pages
Published by نقش و نگار (first published 1592)

To ask other readers questions about غزل های شکسپیر, please sign up.

Anna Patterson Yes, definitely. I had not read them in some time. When I first started reading this again, I thought, I don't even understand this anymore. But I…moreYes, definitely. I had not read them in some time. When I first started reading this again, I thought, I don't even understand this anymore. But I decided to come back again and read the same sonnet, one sentence at a time. I even read this out loud because I believe a poem is just a song which hasn't been put to music yet. Of course Shakespeare has, because if you read it several times it not only becomes easier to read, but you can begin to see the beauty of the words.(less)

Manny
Shakespeare's Sonnet XVIII (abridged)

You're hot.
But not as hot as this poem.

Shakespeare's Sonnet CXVI (abridged)

I'll love you even when you are sixty four
Or my name's not Heather Mills.

Shakespeare's Sonnet XCIV (abridged)

Stay cool man. Peace.
Like, flower power, y'know?
Dolors
Apr 12, 2015 Dolors rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Are you in love with words?
Recommended to Dolors by: Cristina
Less notorious than his plays, Shakespeare’s sonnets assimilate a secret map with hidden clues that lead to precious treasures. The intimate, even confessional tone of the 154 rhymes urges the eager reader to believe that the poetic voice is The Bard himself, who playfully volunteers the key to unlock the mysteries of his heart.
And yet… Do the sonnets tell a coherent story? If they do, is this story real or fictional? The fact that Thomas Thorpe, a poet, editor and admirer of Shakespeare, and no
Riku Sayuj
For we which now behold these present days,

Have eyes to wonder, but lack tongues to praise.

This Pow’rful Rhyme Eternal

Tennyson is famously to have declared Shakespeare 'greater in his sonnets than in his plays'. While the reader who might not soar as easily along the paths described by these Sonnets would find the comparison absurd to a degree, he/she would also have to admit that they understand the sentiment behind Tennyson’s blasphemy. Some of the sonnets are so well-crafted and consists
James
Book Review
William Shakespeare wrote hundreds of sonnets over three decades, mostly from the 1580s through 1610. I'm assuming most everyone has read a few of his sonnets, given they are usually required reading in high school. There is something to love in every single one of them. There is something to be confused at in every single of them. No one can deny his talent. Whether you enjoy rhymes or prefer just the beauty of the words, the lines definitely create images in your mind of what he
Huda Aweys
Shakespeare's poems addressed the bilateral of life and death
Also addressed the birth through his poems too, he use an eloquent and beautiful images , It was a good book :)
شكسبير كان بيناقش هنا الموت و الحياة .. الموت و الولادة بكلاسيكية و بحس شاعرى رائع .. شفت صور كتير اوى رائعة وتشبيهات بليغه وجميلة و حبيت فعلا :)
دا رابط للقراءة بس ما تعتمدوش على ترجمته و اعتمدوا على حسكم اكتر :)
Huda Yahya
بلا جدال السونيتة المفضلة
----------------

Look in thy glass and tell the face thou viewest
Now is the time that face should form another;
Whose fresh repair if now thou not renewest,
Thou dost beguile the world, unbless some mother.
For where is she so fair whose uneared womb
Disdains the tillage of thy husbandry?
Or who is he so fond will be the tomb
Of his self-love, to stop posterity?
Thou art thy mother's glass and she in thee
Calls back the lovely April of her prime;
So thou through windows of thine
David
Nov 16, 2009 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to David by: david-giltinan@sbcglobal.net
Shelves: poetry, read-in-2009
SHAKESPEARE WANTS YOU TO BREED!!!!

The first 17 or so sonnets in the series left me taken aback. It's right there in the first line of Sonnet #1:

1. From fairest creatures we desire increase
That thereby beauty's Rose might never die
But as the riper should be time decease
His tender heir might bear his memory

There's this obsession with propagating the species. This concern about breeding dominates the first 17 sonnets in the series, something I had not been aware of before.

2. ...
How much more pra
Deepthi
Apr 09, 2015 Deepthi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
All I want to do now is lie on the grass, and make mooony-eyes at the moon!
Alan
May 23, 2012 Alan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Over my years of teaching, I have memorized a couple dozen of these sonnets, on my morning walks. Some I learned in a two-mile walk,
like the one on his own writing, "Why is my verse so barren of new pride?"(76). Others I have had to re-memorize every time I teach it,
like "Some glory in their birth, some in their skill," (91). Their imbedded mnemonics vary greatly. When I have required Shakespeare classes
to memorize a couple, students would often pick very difficult ones, not knowing they varied
Paula
Feb 28, 2017 Paula rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sonnet: 116
"let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments; love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O, no, it is an ever-fixèd mark,
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wand'ring bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his heighth be taken."
Ahmad Sharabiani
Sonnets, William Shakespeare
عنوان: غزل های شکسپیر؛ ویلیام شکسپیر؛ مترجم: بهنام مقدم (م. رها) ؛ شرح اشعار: محمد همایون وش؛ تهران، نقش و نگار، 1380، در 207 ص؛ شابک: 9646235115؛ موضوع: شعر کلاسیک انگلیسی ترجمه به شعر فارسی قرن 17 م
تویی ارباب عشق و بنده ام من؛ به لطفت بنده ای پاینده ام من
فرستم شاهد شعرم به سویت؛ نه باهوشم، برایت زنده ام من
ولی با شعر ناچیزم چه گویم؛ که در توصیف تو درمانده ام من
ولی شاید تو دریابی سخن را؛ به امید تو و آینده ام من
...
From fairest creatures we desire increase,
That there
Trevor
Dec 18, 2008 Trevor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature, poetry
I’ve been wondering for a while how to approach this review. I had thought that it might be interesting to do a close reading of a single sonnet and leave it at that. What I’ve decided is to write a quick review on this edition of The Sonnets, mostly chatting about the stuff this book gives to help a reader read them, and then, over the next weeks and months, add ‘comments’ which will be reviews of some of my ‘favourite’ sonnets. I’m quite looking forward to doing this – so we’ll have to see how ...more
Lolita
Jan 06, 2013 Lolita marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition

Shall I compare thee to a Summers day?
Thou art more louely and more temperate:
Rough windes do shake the darling buds of Maie,
And Sommers lease hath all too short a date:
Sometime too hot the eye of heauen shines,
And often is his gold complexion dimm’d,
And euery faire from faire some-time declines,
By chance, or natures changing course vntrim’d:
But thy eternall Sommer shall not fade,
Nor loose possession of that faire thou ow’st,
Nor shall death brag thou wandr’st in his shade,
When in eternall lines
Sue K H
Dec 04, 2016 Sue K H rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful

I loved this. Read and listened to these poems. I'm glad they are on my Kindle so I can go back to them anytime, both the favorites I've highlighted, and also to those I didn't completely understand.
Abrir un Libro
Jul 15, 2016 Abrir un Libro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
¿Qué lector de poesía no ha pensado alguna vez en los Sonetos de William Shakespeare —esos monólogos de melancolía, celos o traición—, como la máxima expresión del amor? El misterio que rodea la dedicatoria al enigmático “Mr H.W.”, o los versos a la extraña “Dark Lady”, no ha hecho más que aumentar el halo arcano que envuelve a los sonetos más famosos de la Literatura Universal.
Publicados en 1609, se han realizado innumerables traducciones al castellano. Navona ediciones trae ahora, en una bellí
Brooklyn Tayla
Truthfully I don't think any other poetry will move me as much as these Sonnets. They cover various topics, as it were, and all are just filled with such raw emotion.
Alexandra
Prečítala som 154 sonetov.

(view spoiler)

Stručný obsah /deja/:

Veľa kriku pre nič.

Ak dovolíte, idem teraz na strechu nášho paneláku a dve hodiny sa tam plánujem samej seba pýtať (pozerajúc na trávnaté ihrisko 12 poschodí pod mojimi nohami):

"Byť či nebyť?"
Alex
Jun 12, 2011 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Two passions dwell in poet's heart
Two desperate obsessions are reflected through his art
Those are two characters from Shakespeare's poetry triangle:
The dark skinned lady and the man of fair skin
His charm is gentle and she's a striking beauty queen
Three lives, three loves in chains of jealousy are fatally entangled
Did two conspire secretly behind the poet's back
Betraying him two times, which caused his soul to wreck ?
Susan
I'm not sure how many times I've read my way through this book, but I never tire of it.
Some of these sonnets are so beautiful.....moving and thought provoking, much loved favourites which I read often.
Others I like and enjoy, but which don't have the same effect on me......
.......a few I've yet to fully understand.....
Mientras Leo
Aug 19, 2016 Mientras Leo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Una edición magnífica y una interpretación sencilla que mantiene la poesía en una suerte de estado natural mientras relata esa historia apasionada de dos amores, que va pasando por cada estadío.
Iva
Jan 06, 2017 Iva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: poetry fans
Shelves: own, kindle
beautiful poetry
Bryn Hammond
Mar 14, 2012 Bryn Hammond rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think the sonnets need to be understood as a sequence.

Even if they start unpromisingly and end with a whimper. Perhaps this is part of his subversion of the sonnet tradition?

Katherine Duncan-Jones in her edition for Arden, and Joseph Pequigney in Such Is My Love: A Study of Shakespeare's Sonnets (my two sources of expertise on the sonnets – chosen because they are unafraid of the homosexuality), both believe we have Shakespeare’s order in the published quarto – and, to go with that, they bel
Jennie
Jul 21, 2012 Jennie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
For once I think I'm glad that I don't have much of a following because otherwise I'm pretty sure I'd get some serious hate mail for this one. There is no easy way to say this so I'm just going to jump in.

I hate Shakespeare's sonnets. There is no easy way to say it and I'm pretty sure it might make me some two bit hack of a reader, but it's the damn truth. All I could think while reading them was that it was a good thing the man could write a play because he wasn't much of a poet. I hate these
From BBC Radio 3 - Drama on 3:
Five short, edgy contemporary dramas taking place in the city from sunset to sunrise. In collaboration with the BBC Philharmonic five writers team with composers and respond to Shakespeare's most powerful sonnets.

Sonnet 29 read by Maxine Peake

Baba Ganoush
by Tom Wells with music composed by Tom Coult
Lee arrives late for the pop-up restaurant he works in. The boss, Bev, is waiting for him and is in a foul mood. But Dan is also there and he makes everything alright.

Lee
Keith
Jan 07, 2012 Keith rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
In the sonnets, the man of all ages becomes the man of an age – a very particular, very stylized age. The best sonneteer? Perhaps so. But it was a form that was already going out of style by the time his sonnets were published.

Shakespeare is his typical playful and irreverent self in the best of the sonnets. He remains a master of the metaphor, and a refined, nuanced thinker beyond compare.

But the sonnets are not my thing. The great voice that stormed at the universe in Lear, that explored the
Lynne King
Jul 10, 2015 Lynne King rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How can anyone possibly not love these exquisite sonnets. I've just been reading Dolors' excellent review and it reminded me of them.
Eliza Campbell
Dec 21, 2016 Eliza Campbell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
gay.
janine
Mar 07, 2017 janine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, classics
penguin still can't annotate for shit
David Lentz
Sep 26, 2011 David Lentz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As I have been writing sonnets lately, I decided to re-read the works of the genius, the master, of the sonnet form. I was intrigued to understand how Shakespeare suffered in writing his sonnets as a young man not yet established as a dramatist. He was writing under the patronage of a young, handsome, English gent named Southampton, who presented these sonnets to women whom he pursued ardently. The sonnets when read sequentially reveal changes in the young poet's life as he evolves. He competed ...more
Jowayria Rahal
Nov 06, 2013 Jowayria Rahal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a moral obligation that I confess that I've only read about two thirds of Shakespeare's sonnets ( 38 out of 154) . That being said , I'm not claiming that I deliberately neglected the other sonnets for who am I to disregard such beautiful masterpieces ?

Shakespeare's sonnets are Shakespeare at his best ; an amalgam of the human , the psychoanalyst and the artist . These are two of the ones that I adored so much I now secretly wish I could tattoo them :

Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Classics Without ...: Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Day? 3 76 Apr 20, 2016 11:41PM
Sonnet it like Shakespeare 1 5 Apr 20, 2016 11:33PM
Carlson 2341.06 F...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Shakespearian sonnets 48 27 Sep 09, 2015 10:08PM
Favourite Sonnet? 47 380 Mar 03, 2015 02:17PM
La Stamberga dei ...: Angolotesti: Sonetto XLIII di William Shakespeare 1 10 May 25, 2014 05:58AM
sonnets... 2 17 Aug 21, 2013 12:16PM
The Most Awesome ...: The Sonnets 2 10 Jan 22, 2013 03:44PM
  • John Donne's Poetry
  • Sonnets from the Portuguese
  • Astrophel and Stella
  • The Complete English Poems
  • Collected Poems
  • The Art of Shakespeare's Sonnets
  • Poetry and Designs: Authoritative Texts, Illuminations in Color and Monochrome, Related Prose, Criticism
  • Poems of Christina Rossetti
  • The Collected Poems of W.B. Yeats
  • Final Harvest: Emily Dickinson's Poems
  • Selected Poems
  • Wordsworth: Poems
  • The Lady of Shalott
  • The Norton Anthology of Poetry
  • The Waste Land and Other Poems
William Shakespeare (baptised 26 April 1564) was an English poet and playwright, widely regarded as the greatest writer in the English language and the world's pre-eminent dramatist. He is often called England's national poet and the "Bard of Avon" (or simply "The Bard"). His surviving works consist of 38 plays, 154 sonnets, two long narrative poems, and several other poems. His plays have been tr ...more
More about William Shakespeare...

“Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate:
Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
And summer's lease hath all too short a date:
Sometimes too hot the eye of heaven shines,
And too often is his gold complexion dimm'd:
And every fair from fair sometimes declines,
By chance or natures changing course untrimm'd;
By thy eternal summer shall not fade,
Nor lose possession of that fair thou owest;
Nor shall Death brag thou wander'st in his shade,
When in eternal lines to time thou growest:
So long as men can breathe or eyes can see,
So long lives this and this gives life to thee.”
1224 likes
“Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove.
O no, it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wand'ring bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken."

(Sonnet 116)