Start by marking “Fatal Error” as Want to Read:
Fatal Error

Fatal Error

In the dotcom boom it was easy to make millions … and then lose them. And some people are not good losers.

The year is 1999 and Internet companies are springing up everywhere. Anything seems possible for those who think big.

David Lane – a quiet, cautious banker – is invited by his old friend Guy Jourdan to help start up ninetyminutes.com. He decides that for once he will
Published December 3rd 2012 (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Fatal Error, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fatal Error

Ian Coates
May 10, 2016 Ian Coates rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller, mystery, crime
Fatal Error is a slow-burn crime novel with a brooding back-story. This is adrenalin-pumping action, and is somewhat different to Ridpath’s other thrillers, but the thin plot redeems itself with an exciting climax.

When David Lane tries to ride the dot-com bubble with school friend Guy Jordan, things start well. and their ninetyminutes.com football website gains good feedback and increasing visitor numbers. But dot-com start-ups eat money, and raising funding is paramount.

Guy reluctantly persuade
Kerrie
Mar 14, 2016 Kerrie rated it really liked it

Michael Ridpath takes us into a world about which I know very little. His story though feels very credible.

Guy Jourdan, failed actor, has the idea for a startup dot.com company, a website that will deal only with football, and will atract those who not only want to see results, but articles to read, and merchandise. It will eventually become the number one site for European football fans.

Guy's father is a millionaire, a very successful businessman and Guy wants to follow in his footsteps, and to
Pam
Mar 07, 2016 Pam rated it it was amazing
Fatal Error is by Michael Ridpath. It is a thriller and deals with the psychology of people. It is a really good book and definitely keeps your attention. You want to know the answers to many questions as you read.
David Lane had known Guy Jourdan for seventeen years and had worked with him on Ninetyminutes.com from the beginning. Now it seems that all their work was for nothing unless they could get additional funding. When Guy had the idea of creating “the foremost soccer website in Europe”, h
Geoff Woodland
May 13, 2016 Geoff Woodland rated it really liked it
I've read a number of Michael Ridpath's books over the years, and I have always enjoyed his stories, so I was very pleased to receive a free copy of Fatal Error, as an e-book, after promising to write a review. The story is wrapped around the creation of an internet football web site (Ninetyminutes.com) and the ups and downs of cash flow, dead bodies and relationships between the characters. It is an easy enjoyable read that encouraged me to keep reading, even though I should have put it down an ...more
Dan
Feb 01, 2016 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Engaging thriller set in the crazy world of the dotcom bubble. I found this book in the 'free' stack at Amazon and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I stayed up too late more than one night with it. I only found one minor implausibility from the tech side of things, easily forgivable. Good plot, plenty of hints, but I missed them all. I kind of like mysteries told from the financial guy's point of view. Maybe I just think like them.
Beth
Feb 08, 2016 Beth rated it liked it
A odd suspense/thriller novel based on the dot com era with the main characters a group of people who grew up together and started a business. Unfortunately people close to the business that might do something to stop the business all seem to turn up dead.
Bernie Gale
Feb 11, 2016 Bernie Gale rated it really liked it
A complex web spun around the dotcom bubble but with links back to the past. The storyline holds together well and few improbable aspects.
It worked for me.
Why not five stars? Just not quite that bite needed to make it a book you cannot drop.
Mary Asbury
Jan 24, 2016 Mary Asbury rated it really liked it
Very good book

Actually I was surprised that I would like this book, it is usually not my style and it sounded boring but I thought I would give it a chance. It had alot if action and the characters were great
Richard Givan
Jan 25, 2016 Richard Givan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite a nice book that jumps about in time (not that it's a time travel story). Full of intrigue about dot com startups, rich people, and crimes they commit. Just a wee bit draggy toward the middle and end.
doug morren
Feb 16, 2016 doug morren rated it really liked it
Book kept you guessing

Book at first jumped around between past and current events. Author pulled it all together and finished very strong. Too read
Michael
Feb 15, 2016 Michael rated it liked it
Easy read and relatively entertaining but quite superficial and now completely out of date subject wise. Have enjoyed his other novels more
Ann
Mar 05, 2016 Ann rated it it was amazing
What a good book! Real edge of seat stuff. All the action stems from the internet boom.. Many new companies were set up in this dot.com time. However some were destined to fall by the wayside. Will that happen here? You have to read it to find the answer.

Of course, there is lots more to the plot than just computer business. Murder and deceit among other things.

You will want to keep turning the pages.
Diane
Feb 11, 2016 Diane rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed this book. Skipped around in time and sometimes that is hard to follow but this one made sense.
Harris Guilmette
WAY too much hoping around thru three time periods. Distracting and added nothing to the result.
Debbie
Feb 13, 2016 Debbie rated it it was ok
Just too slow for me...too much detail and too much jumping back and forth.
Jackie Hayter
Feb 15, 2016 Jackie Hayter rated it liked it
Delightfully geeky.
Sean Buckley
Very good, very enjoyable
Ian Coates
Fatal Error is a slow-burn crime novel with a brooding back-story. This is not adrenalin-pumping action, and is somewhat different to Ridpath’s other thrillers, but the thin plot redeems itself with an exciting climax. Certainly not his best, but an okay fairly gentle read.

I'm writing a more detailed review, which I'll post later.
Carole
Mar 24, 2016 Carole rated it it was amazing
Great read. There was just one tiny thing, the overuse of the company name "Nintyminutes" was a little annoying. It's the only negative though.
Johannes
Jun 15, 2014 Johannes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ein Krimi rund um die Internetblase der "New Economy" - nicht ganz bahnbrechend, aber auch nicht schlecht geschrieben.
Angel Serrano
En la explosión tecnológica de internet, dos amigos y dos amigas crean una empresa on line. Alrededor de muertes misteriosas explotará la burbuja y varias personas se esforzarán, con métodos ilegales, para asegurar la supervivencia de la empresa.
Herb Foxman
Jun 25, 2016 Herb Foxman rated it liked it
Interesting subject + 14 yrs to compare it to.

Interesting to look back from the past where to where we are now..sites computer go! It's still evolving and growing

Willem Van Doorn
Apr 15, 2013 Willem Van Doorn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book, Goddard-Esque, an absolute must-read
Cathy
Jan 19, 2010 Cathy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Dragged on a bit.. an OK thriller.
Joe
Joe rated it did not like it
Sep 25, 2016
Angela E Gilbert
Angela E Gilbert is currently reading it
Sep 23, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Liz Long
Liz Long rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2016
Mike Gordon
Mike Gordon rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2016
  • Silent Night (Sam Archer, #4)
  • The Hit List
  • Chameleon (Stephanie Patrick #2)
  • Revelation
  • The Operative (Stratton, #3)
  • The Devil's Banker
  • Spyder Web (Nolan Kilkenny Mystery, #1)
  • Feel: Robbie Williams
  • Aggressor (Nick Stone, #8)
  • Skinner's Mission
  • Triple Platinum
  • The Dead  (The Saxon & Fitzgerald Mysteries, #1)
  • World Without End
Before becoming a writer, I used to work in the City of London as a bond trader. I have written eight thrillers set in the worlds of business and finance, but I am now trying my hand at something different. Where The Shadows Lie, the first in a series featuring an Icelandic detective named Magnus Jonson, was published in 2010. The third book in the series, Meltwater, is out in the UK this summer. ...more
More about Michael Ridpath...