Start by marking “The Black Moon (Poldark, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Black Moon (Poldark, #5)

The Black Moon (The Poldark Saga #5)

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  694 ratings  ·  32 reviews
The birth of a son to Elizabeth and George Warleggan seems to make the rift between the Poldark and Warleggan families worse. When Morwenna Chynoweth, governess to Elizabeth's son, grows to love Drake Carne, Demelza's brother, things get worse.
Published April 1st 1996 by MacMillan UK (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about The Black Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Black Moon

Rebecca by Daphne du MaurierJamaica Inn by Daphne du MaurierFrenchman's Creek by Daphne du MaurierThe Shell Seekers by Rosamunde PilcherRoss Poldark by Winston Graham
Books set in Cornwall
21st out of 150 books — 29 voters
Ross Poldark by Winston GrahamPenmarric by Susan HowatchDaphne du Maurier Collection by Daphne du MaurierThe Shell Seekers by Rosamunde PilcherThe Camomile Lawn by Mary Wesley
Best Books Set in Cornwall
31st out of 104 books — 57 voters

More lists with this book...

Diane Lynn
Set in Cornwall and a little bit in France 1794-95.

Excellent writing and a plot that continues to pull me in. The historical detail is top-notch. There is still daily life in the tin and copper mining areas of Cornwall but in this volume we also see the invasion of France in 1795 at Quiberon. There is new love that holds so much promise, as well as old hostilities and resentments. This short excerpt won't spoil but will give an idea of the emotion Graham writes with:

He had killed his viper. He h
Maryanne
This next lot of books was written 20 years after the first four. I loved the first four, so was worried - would the women have morphed into 70s type women? Would the writing have lost its emotional appeal and the romantic, dream-inducing, lyrical descriptions of landscapes both natural and blasted by black industries? Would Ross still stride through the books like the handsome, swashbuckling outsider hero he has been? Would Demelza still climb trees and befriend strays and lose her shoes, as we ...more
KOMET
The Poldark Series continues. The time is February 1794. In the opening pages, the author evokes an image of a sleepy Cornwall in the depths of a harsh and frigid winter. George Warleggan continues to expand his power and influence over the community. His wife Elizabeth (once Ross Poldark's great love) has given birth to a son, Valentine. Her son from her previous marriage to Ross' cousin Francis, Geoffrey Charles, has been given a governess, Morwenna Chynoweth (a cousin of Elizabeth's) to tutor ...more
Jan 14, 2011 Laura rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Misfit, Hannah, Barb
This is the fifth volume of Poldgark saga where the fighting between Ross Poldgark and George Warleggan is still very intense. Some new characters are introduced such as Sam and Drake Carne (Demelza's brothers) and Morwenna (Elizabeth's niece), who falls in love with a man she cannot marry. In the meantime, Ross tries to recover some Cornwall people who have become prisoners in France. Excellent plot, as usual. Still looking forward to read the whole series of 12 books.
Debbie
Another book completed. They may have been written later but they still hold the same feel of time as the earlier ones. Off to try book 6! Oh Ross Poldark you are a rogue!
Andrea
Andrew
Mar 11, 2015 Andrew rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who enjoy a family saga , set in Cornwall
This book was published in 1973, twenty years after the previous volume. It covers the years 1794-5. There is a bit of a change in style, but the continuation of the saga is just as good. Here are some of the main points of the story:
Aunt Agatha is approaching her 100th birthday.
There is a lot about the fears in Cornwall about the effects of the French Revolution. For Dwight Enys, this has a real impact, After joining the Navy as a surgeon he ends up as a prisoner of war. For Caroline Penvenen,
Helena R-D
Again, I was surprised at how good this series is. I think that Graham taking a break from the series did it a good turn, because it feels like the story got more steam and a freshness. It is full of action and consequence and sets up the conflict between George and Ross.

Agatha at the end was the wild card and it was just brutal what she does to George. It's a revenge that was richly deserved, but created major repercussions all around. Ross is still Ross, Demelza is amazing and Caroline and Dw
Bron Lloyd
Jul 29, 2014 Bron Lloyd rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Like all the Poldark novels - simply amazing writing. Wonderful. Love it more than ever!
Jeanne Johnston
Somehow, a lot more of substance happens here. Forbidden love, another girl victim to a horrendous arranged marriage, an attempt to rescue Dr. Enys from the French because the English can't be arsed to bother to get involved in the French Revolution (still looking for solid leadership and too dangerous to do more than protect the English shore, lest it spread further), an uneasy truce with the arsehole, George Warleggan, and preparations for Aunt Agatha's 100th birthday party (...or is it 98th?) ...more
Sandra
Liked it, yes but necessarily focussing a bit beyond Ross and Demelza it didn't have the atmosphere of the original four, written more than 25 years earlier. Also has a nasty clergyman which, ever since Jane Eyre, is something I prefer to avoid. But I imperfectly remembered the final scene and wanted to revisit.
I don't think, last time I read, I fully appreciated the historical background - as ever Graham's knowledge infiltrates painlessly.
Helen White
Phew. I was worried after the break in writing the fourth and fifth books Graham would have lost the nature of his characters. But nope it's all still there - the hatred of George, Ross and Demelza's understanding marriage and Aunt Agatha's perfect venom. The introduction of new characters indicates how the range is spreading we'll see how far in the next book.
Sally
Published 20 years after the previous Poldark book, this is noticeably different in style and content. New characters are introduced, and less time is spent on some of the older ones. There is a great deal of historical detail, concentrating on the French Revolution, which makes the book fascinating. I still do not like the brittle character of Caroline. All in all a great read, with a great, though not a neat, ending.
Claire Maycock
A return to form for Winston Graham with the introduction of some compelling new characters and the return of Ross at his dashing best. Made me want to read on immediately (if only to see George Warleggan get what's coming to him)!
Michelle Connor
This series from Winston Graham just keeps getting better than ever. I've been so wrapped up in the story, that I immediately started the next book in the series The Four Swans. Cannot wait until series two is aired later this year on the BBC.
Mandie
Winston Graham's Poldark books form a classic epic that spans generations. Having seen the televised version of the first books of the series it became a must to read them.
The first eight show that the series ran very closely attuned to the spirit and characters in the novel although momentum does seem to peter out as we get to the later part of the series. It reads very beleiveable and historically accurate and is a good introduction to Cornwall from the 18th century encompassing smuggling and
Jan
The books are all running into one now, It is just a continuation of all the others and I have enjoyed the story but it is time to break it for a while because I need a new reading experience.
Karen
Fantastic book charting the terror of the French Revolution & how it affected England, especially Cornwall. Still in love with Ross Poldark :)
Jill
This is my second favorite of the series. The characters really come into their own in this book. Some adventure is added to the plot which is nice, and the politics of the French Revolution are interesting to me, as you don't often hear about it from the British perspective. This book is very good historical fiction. And I really like the relationship with Caroline, who has really come into her own as a character in this book. And Drake, Morwenna, and Geoffrey Charles are great developments to ...more
Rosi
Enjoyable!
Debbie Johansson
New characters are introduced in this book - Demelza's brothers, Sam and Drake Carne and Elizabeth's cousin, Morwenna Chenowyth. Drake and Morwenna fall in love, but their differences in class causes friction in more ways than one and in the end I felt sorry for Morwenna. The spite between George Warleggan and Aunt Agatha continues, which ultimately continues the rivalry between George and Ross. With such great characters and engaging plot, I look forward to the next in the series.
Elsie Klumpner
My least favorite so far of the series. A little flat. Some new characters who weren't interesting at all to me. Ross and Demelza still reign as one of the best couple of literature, in my opinion. More than I wanted to know about the British and the French. I'm more interested in the mining issues in Cornwall.I will persevere, though, with the 4 Swans, Number 6 of the series. Even when Graham is not at his best, there are wonderful passages in the book.
Carol Dobson
Absorbing and detailed account of the time.
Sue
Love reading this series again. The first season of the TV series remake has now finished, can't wait for the next!
Tracy
A lot darker than the others in the series. Some events are quite depressing and sad at times. Ross has redeemed himself since the previous book. Thankfully.
Lili
If you love Cornwall you will love the Poldark Novels, but even if you've never been lucky enough to visit Cornwall then through Russ and Demelza you will fall in love with this beautiful County
Blithe
I read these back in the 1970's when Public Television ran their tv series based on these books. These books helped fill those summers with some really enjoyabe reading. I am a TERRIBLE romantic!
Karen
Am really enjoying this series and it is a good thing since they are so many of them. On to Book #6.
Goodreads Librari...: "The Black Moon" Hardcover published by Harper Audio? 2 12 Jul 11, 2013 05:35PM
  • The Green Gauntlet
  • The Moon in The Water (Heron, #1)
  • The Passionate Brood
  • Mary Anne
  • London: The Autobiography
  • The King's Pleasure
  • Penmarric
  • The Heaven Tree (Heaven Tree, #1)
  • The Telling
  • Anne Boleyn
  • The Summer of the Barshinskeys
  • My Enemy's Tears: The Witch of Northampton
  • Saraband for Two Sisters (Daughters of England, #4)
  • The Flowering of the Rose (We Speak No Treason, #1)
  • Swan's Chance (Wild Swan Trilogy, #2)
  • Gay Lord Robert (Tudor Saga, #11)
Winston Graham was the author of forty novels. His books have been widely translated and the Poldark series has been developed into two television series, shown in 22 countries. Six of Winston Graham's books have been filmed for the big screen, the most notable being Marnie, directed by Alfred Hitchcock. Winston Graham was a Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature and in 1983 was awarded the O.B ...more
More about Winston Graham...

The Poldark Saga (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Ross Poldark (Poldark, #1)
  • Demelza (Poldark, #2)
  • Jeremy Poldark (Poldark, #3)
  • Warleggan (Poldark, #4)
  • The Four Swans (Poldark, #6)
  • The Angry Tide (Poldark, #7)
  • The Stranger from the Sea (Poldark, #8)
  • The Miller's Dance (Poldark, #9)
  • The Loving Cup (Poldark, #10)
  • The Twisted Sword (Poldark, #11)
Ross Poldark (Poldark, #1) Demelza (Poldark, #2) Jeremy Poldark (Poldark, #3) Warleggan (Poldark, #4) The Four Swans (Poldark, #6)