Start by marking “The Girl Who Was Infatuated With Death” as Want to Read:
The Girl Who Was Infatuated With Death

The Girl Who Was Infatuated With Death (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #8.5)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  13,074 ratings  ·  371 reviews
The Girl who was Infatuated with Death is a short story by Laurell K. Hamilton. The story was featured in the Bite anthology along with three other short stories by different authors.

Ms. Rhonda Mackenzie wants vampire executioner Anita Blake to find and kill the vampire who has twice bitten Rhonda's daughter...
Published (first published December 28th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Girl Who Was Infatuated With Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl Who Was Infatuated With Death

Korynn
Jun 24, 2007 Korynn rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who are into vampire sex
Shelves: romance
This book is about vampires and sex - it's definitely not an example of good short story structure.
The first story is an Anita Blake story, something I have never experienced before.Basically it started out with an interesting premise - a girl who is about to lose her leg who wants to become a vampire so as to save it. But then abandons this plot entirely so as to focus on the more important issue, that Anita Blake is involved with two incredibly hot guys but she hasn't had sex in, like, foreve
Cherie
Since I’ve been reading the stories from this book in between other full-length reads, I should’ve been making notes on each story as I went along. That said, today I just read the Laurell K. Hamilton contribution, which was pretty short, only 30 pages, and previously, a couple of weeks ago, I read the Charlaine Harris and MaryJanice Davidson stories.

The Girl Who Was Infatuated With Death by Laurell K. Hamilton
Unlike her contributions in other anthologies, this was actually an original short sto
Emily
“Biting in Plain Sight”
A vampire veterinarian, Dr Sophie Trudeau, from Embarrass, MN notices that another vampire is killing young women and decides to enlist the help of Queen Betsy to stop him. Meanwhile, local farmer Liam has been getting up the courage to confess his attraction to Sophie and insists on accompanying her.
I liked that the town basically knew Sophie was a vampire, but didn’t give her trouble about it because she’s a good vet. Liam was cute, if a little heavy-handed and alpha. Be
Cathy
The MaryJanice Davidson book is great; it was fun to read a story about another character in the Betsy the Vampire Queen world. I really liked the Angela Knight story and went on to read the rest of the series. Laurell Hamilton's Anita Blake story is good, but I'd read it before so it was hard to judge. The Vickie Taylor story didn't do it for me. The Charlaine Harris story was intriguing and made me look forward to the rest of the Sookie Stackhouse series even more than I already was.
Shannon (Savhage Temptrest)
Sbuchler
Genre: Urban Fantasy/Vampire Fantasy/Romance

None of the five short stories really stood out to me. It wasn't an awful read, but I'm not likly to read it again. My favorite was the Charlaine Harris Sookie Stackhouse story, _One Word Answer_ - mostly because of the charm inherent in the tone and characters of those novels. I initially bought the book because of that story and was disappointed in it, having just read all the Sookie novels... but I think I judged it harshly just because it wasn't as
Amber
If you follow the Sookie Stackhouse series, there may come a time where you felt that Harris forgot to tell you some crucial information and feel completely in the dark as to how Sookie got there and why. If you were like me, you reread several pages and realized it was a bad editing job and not my spacing out as I read. Well, I found those missing pages. Its called her "short story", which has nothing to do with "Dark Seduction", the short-story anthology's theme, but is in fact a cheap attempt ...more
Melissa
Reading this short story out of order....but I have to say it makes me miss the Jean Claude and Anita times together that are so very rare in the last bunch of books. I keep wishing for more home ground cases and more Jean Claude with each new book, so this was a very nice look back to their relationship and reminding me why I miss it so much.

Plot wise....I feel really bad for the vampire that got tricked into 'saving' the girl with her fake ID proving she was not a minor, and that he will pay w
Library-KAT
Oh my, oh my, oh my.....

I normally do not like romance, but this is erotica, romance and vampires (not demons).

"The Girl Who Was Infatuated w/ Death" by Laurel K. Hamilton

Ms. Blake is a vampire hunter, she is in search of a murdering vampire, but is in need of help from Jean-Claude (a super hottie whom she is connected to). together they hunt the blood sucking murdering butcher.... w/ Ms. Blake fighting her lust for Jean-Clause the entire time.

"One Word Answer" by Charlaine Harris

This I have re
Artemisa
This an anthology with 2 short stories and 3 longer stories.
I actually skipped the the first short story, because it is set in Lauren K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series, and after I read the first book I still haven't totally rejected the posibility of readind this series and I didn't want the spoilers.

The other short story was a Sookie Stakehouse story (that I'm pretty sure I had read already).

After that came the longer stories (I guess I should call them novellas, I believe that's the current in
Shinyfox
1st Story - Laurell K. Hamilton
Anita Blake, hoo boy I didn't think you could make me shake my head more in a short story than you do in a full novel. She knows the danger of sleeping with Jean-Claude and/or Richard yet in this one she pushes the stakes and teases Jean-Claude into some ooey gooey chocolate frosting foreplay. She knows she shouldn't be around him but Stubborn, Arrogant Anita Blake just can't help it because hoo boy that vamp is just too hot. *sigh* The short story had an interesti
Gretchen
Bite contains five short stories. I rated them individually below and gave the overall book the rating of the majority of stars.

The Girl Who Was Infatuated with Death by Laurell K. Hamilton - 3 stars
One Word Answer by Charlaine Harris- 3 stars
Biting in Plain Sight by MaryJanice Davidson- 2 stars
Galahad by Angela Knight - 2 stars
Blood Lust by Vickie Taylor - 3 stars

Kelly
The only story I read of this was the Sookie Stackhouse short story! It was just ok, however I will admit that I'm not a fan of anthologies or short stories. I don't feel like the story lines ever develop enough or something. I am glad that I read it tho, cause I will always read all Sookie books.
Dharia Scarab

4 sta
Jane Doe
Angela Knight Galahad- 2 stars

"This was like being trapped in an erotic version of Jaws." In no universe is Jaws erotic!
Truebond- seriously I don't think I want to feel what and how my partner felt doing a bunch of other women. Yuck (unless of course I was there at the time;~0)
Miki
A small collection of stories about vampires and passion, bites of love and hunger.
It starts off with the always awesome Anita Blake in the early days of her relationship with Jean Claude, and it goes on with a story of the Sookie Stackhause series, in which Sookie finds out about her cousin Hadley's fate, and acts consequently. Third comes a story of an animal-loving vampire who after living only among humans for years, has to get back in touch with the vamprie community (and finds out how lov
Jess
I normally don't enjoy anthologies, but this one was very entertainig. It had a story from Anita Blake, Sookie Stackhouse and from Queen Betsy as well. This was a really great one.
Sammy Loves Books
This is a compilation of short stories. I only read One Word Answer from the Sookie Stackhouse series. Great background on the death of Hadley.
Cheryl aka Pashion
Some stories better than others, but I Think I have found a few more authors to read!
Meaghan R. (YA-aholic)
was ReALLY bummed to read this in Strange Candy, as i was not yet to this point in the series...
original, Strange Candy review here...
but it was still a good story.

now, i haven't actually reviewed most of the Anita Blake books, even though i'm like 2 years behind, because i'm a little uncertain on how to do so...i mean, i really like the story and Anita, but the fricking writing is HORRENDOUS!!!!! and Hamilton has made it a point to say that it is not her
Chantel
Not all the stories in this book were great. The only author that I had read previously was Charlaine Harris so I can't attest to how they fit in with their respective series. If you don't read any of these authors and don't care for vampire/sci-fi/romance novels, skip it....they were just too sci-fi/fantasy/romance and not good character development.

LAURELL K. HAMILTON - The Girl Who Was Infatuated by Death - Is about a mother who wants Anita to help her find her daughter who is infatuated with
Nozomi
I feel gipped. Hamilton's and Harris' stories each were 1/8 of the anthology, while the other three were 1/4. There's less quality overall. Not to mention, many typographical errors.

Hamilton's The Girl Who Was Infactuated with Death comes after Blue Moon, which I hadn't read yet, but nothing was spoiled, and the story was still fairly good. The only thing I saw that was new was the lack of Anita Blake's strong resistance to Jean-Claude--but like I said, I hadn't read the book it comes after nor
~Sara~
Although this was pretty good, I'm sure I would've like it better if I were familiar with the series these stories are part of.
The first story in Bite is part of the Anita Blake series and it was a 2.5 for me. I couldn't get over what the vampire ex was wearing. Really, a red satin shoulderless blouse, er, top, and black satin pants!!! Is that supposed to be attractive!?! Is this the eighties or are there some really strong drugs involved?
The next story was a Sookie Stackhouse and it was a 2, sh
A.M.
Being a big Charlaine Harris fan and a moderate LK Hamilton one, I'd been meaning to buy this book for a while. I'm going to copy Cherie's review style and break it down into the individual stories:

The Girl Who Was Infatuated With Death by Laurell K. Hamilton
This was a relatively short story which takes places between Books 8 and 9 of the Anita Blake series. While I'm not one to complain about a little more Jean-Claude, I found this story to have the feel more of an opening chapter than a story
Joy
I bought this book because it was recommended by Amazon. The only author I was familiar with was MaryJanice Davidson after collecting her Undead series, which I thoroughly enjoyed, and am still craving for more. I braced myself for some spoilers because I know I'm reading some works of other authors that are also part of their respective series. I enjoyed most of the short stories here, but some not so much. If you're a fan of vampire stories and such, this is a time-travels-fast type of read.

1s
Jessica
Only read the story by Laurell K. Hamilton "The Girl Who Was Infatuated with Death".
It was free for me as I read it in the bookstore when I worked there. This was years ago, so I can't really remember everything that happened

For some reason I really think Jean Claude and Anita deserve each other,so I love it when she has to suck it up and see him (because she can be a whiner and it gets annoying -stars). Especially this early on in the series when she is still trying to avoid him (if I remember
iamjenai
Bite is a collection of 5 short stories, (1) The Girl Who Was infatuated With Death by Laurell K. Hamilton, (2) One Word Answer by Charlaine Harris, (3) Biting In Plain Sight by Mary Janice Davidson, (4) Galahad by Angela Knight and (5) Blood Lust by Vickie Taylor.

The first one is an Anita Blake short story which happened in between Blue Moon (read my review here) and Obsidian Butterfly. The story is about a girI who is suffering from bone cancer. Her mother found out that she had asked a vampi
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
The Girl Who Was Infatuated With Death by Laurell K. Hamilton
I am sure that at some point this short was included as a scene in one of the books or perhaps it was part of something else I read. It was very familar anyway. Since I have read all of Anita Blake there wasn't anything new in this for me.

One Word Answer by Charlaine Harris
Like the first story this was a "scene" and without the context of the books I don't know how appealing it would be. As with Hamiltons story, it felt very familiar b
Nora
One Word Answer by Charlaine Harris:

This is somehow the prologue to Definitely Dead and it is confusing and somewhat annoying to read Definitely Dead without having read this short story first. Apart from that I would say this short story sucks. And if you have already read Definitely Dead do not bother to catch up on this story, there is no new information (or pleasure) to gain.

You can see in my reviews that I adore the Sookie Stackhouse series and this short story could have been a good chapte
Carien
"The Girl Who Was Infatuated with Death"
I wasn't impressed with this story. It's just a long conversation between two people. To do Hamilton justice I still decided to read the first book in her Anita Blake series after reading this story and I must say: Hamilton is not a writer for me.

"One Word Answer"
I liked this story. It's simple, but clever. I do wonder however if people not familiar with the Sookie Stackhouse series would understand anything about this story.

"Biting in Plain Sight"
A fun s
  • Powers of Detection: Stories of Mystery & Fantasy
  • Night's Edge
  • Crimes by Moonlight: Mysteries from the Dark Side
  • Over The Moon (Mageverse, #3.5)
  • My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding (There Be Pirates, #1; Kit and Olivia, #2; Nightcreature, #5.5; Sookie Stackhouse, #6.1; The Dresden Files, #7.5; Dark-Hunter, #6.25)
  • Dead Over Heels (Wyndham Werewolf, #6) (Undead, #6.5)
  • Holidays Are Hell (The Hollows, #5.5)
  • Out of this World (Includes: In Death, #12.5; Immortal Witches, #4)
Laurell K. Hamilton is one of the leading writers of paranormal fiction. A #1 New York Times bestselling author, Hamilton writes the popular Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter novels and the Meredith Gentry series. She is also the creator of a bestselling comic book series based on her Anita Blake novels and published by Marvel Comics. Hamilton is a full-time writer and lives in the suburbs of St. Louis ...more
More about Laurell K. Hamilton...

Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1)
  • The Laughing Corpse (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #2)
  • Circus of the Damned (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #3)
  • Club Vampyre (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1-3)
  • The Lunatic Cafe (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #4)
  • Bloody Bones (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #5)
  • The Midnight Cafe (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #4-6)
  • The Killing Dance (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #6)
  • Burnt Offerings (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #7)
  • Black Moon Inn  (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #7-8)
Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1) Circus of the Damned (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #3) The Laughing Corpse (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #2) The Lunatic Cafe (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #4) Bloody Bones (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #5)