Start by marking “My Not-So-Fairy-Tale Life” as Want to Read:
My Not-So-Fairy-Tale Life

My Not-So-Fairy-Tale Life

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  843 Ratings  ·  177 Reviews
Looking away, I asked as nonchalantly as my rapidly beating heart would allow, "So you're the kind of guy that believes in fairy-tales."

"I am. And you're the kind of girl that believes in the reality of here and now."

"When you're pregnant and living with your brother and his wife, reality seems like a safer place to stay."

Suzanne Quincy was raised by an abusive mother and
Published October 1st 2005 by Shadow Mountain

Edenbrooke by Julianne DonaldsonBlackmoore by Julianne DonaldsonCourt of the Hawk by Debbie  PetersonSeeking Persephone by Sarah M. EdenDrops of Gold by Sarah M. Eden
LDS Romance
32nd out of 336 books — 317 voters
Fablehaven by Brandon MullThe Goose Girl by Shannon HaleGrip of the Shadow Plague by Brandon MullRise of the Evening Star by Brandon MullSecrets of the Dragon Sanctuary by Brandon Mull
Best of LDS Fiction
69th out of 272 books — 252 voters

More lists with this book...

Ash
Apr 09, 2009 Ash rated it really liked it
Right off the bat I should probably mention that although I really liked this book, it isn't for everyone. The author is Mormon, so she obviously incorporates that into the book. I'm not a fanatically religious person (although I am religious), so I think that others who aren't really religious can read this too. Hopefully it doesn't bother most people because this really is a very good book. Still though, it's best for poeple who are somewhat religious or who are Mormon (also if your intereste ...more
Cara
Apr 17, 2009 Cara rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: LDS members or people interested in religion
Recommended to Cara by: Ash
This will be the hardest review I've done so far. I know I won't find the exact words to express what this book is all about.

First off I should mention that this book will probably be more appreciated by someone, like me, who practices the Mormon faith, but don't by pass up the book because of that. I genuinely believe anyone can enjoy this story.

Suzanna (who prefers to go by Cue) is...well, for lack of a better word, broken. Life has thrown her some heavy things to deal with, like an abusive
Valerie
Apr 29, 2009 Valerie rated it really liked it
You'd think that this book is an old song. Girl is raised in a broken home, girl gets pregnant, she is on her own or at least she thinks she is until she discovers that she has so many people rutting for her. But the truth in this story is unmistakable. Suzanna grows so much during the course of the book. At first I couldn't get her but as she becomes more of who she wants to be I see why she was so critical of everyone in the beggining.

The people around her don't seem to be just secondary chara
Yara
Dec 10, 2008 Yara rated it really liked it
I know, I'm in shock, too. Five stars for an LDS novel :o! I promised the author I would read this last February and it finally "called" to me from my pile. This is a must-read for every young person facing an unwanted pregnancy, and all those who care about them. I was very touched by this story!
Tausha
Dec 19, 2014 Tausha rated it really liked it
Honestly...I am having a hard time rating this one. It was so good, but tough too. I really struggled with the main character "Cue" at first. I really sympathized with her situation and what she had been through...so in that way she had my heart. But, she was also mean, selfish, and rude. I kept wanting her to snap out of it and recognize others were trying to help her. I really wondered how Rion stuck with her at first. It honestly would be so hard to try and remain friends with someone as bitt ...more
Mommywest
Nov 22, 2008 Mommywest rated it it was amazing
Wow! This is one of my very favorite books. I picked this book up off the bargain shelves at Deseret Book, and hesitated when I read the description on the back cover, but decided to buy it. Boy, am I glad I did! It deals with a very sensitive, but very timely subject--unwed pregnancy, and the decisions that accompany that choice.

Suzanna Quincy, raised by an abusive mother and an apathetic father, has chosen a life-style of drugs and alcohol and ends up pregnant. Suzi has to decide if she's goi
Jessica
Apr 01, 2008 Jessica rated it it was amazing
This is such a perfectly wonderful book. I couldn't put it down, and by the end I was sobbing. I emailed Julie (I'm lucky enough to know her) right away to a) tell her how much I loved it, and b) demand to know if it was in any way based on her life. (It isn't.) Suzy, the main character, is so REAL and what she goes through is so heartbreaking and yet inspiring, I simply could not believe that someone (even someone as talented at Julie) could make this stuff up!
Enna Isilee
Jul 11, 2008 Enna Isilee rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Enna Isilee by: Julie Wright
I don't usually read LDS fiction, but after meeting the [adorable] author of this book I decided to read it.

I'm SO glad I did. I felt for the main character deeply. It was odd even, there were places in the book where the author would describe places I've seen a hundred times, and yet I felt myself tearing up. I honestly couldn't put this book down.

A totally unexpected delight.

ADDED 7/11/08

Even better the second time.
Lacey
Jun 27, 2011 Lacey rated it it was amazing
Leslie
Jan 07, 2010 Leslie rated it really liked it
This book had a rough start and I wondered if I should keep reading. It had been highly recommended, so I kept at it. I am glad I did. It just got better and better. I've rarely read about adoption, but liked how this book talked about it. It can't be easy from either side and she really reiterated that. Very enjoyable book.
Cindi
Oct 21, 2015 Cindi rated it really liked it
Julie
Oct 14, 2011 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I love that I was given the chance to edit this a little and FINALLY spell Jane Austen's name correctly in it (not my fault that it was ever wrong, somewhere in typesetting, it was altered).
Dianna
Jan 23, 2009 Dianna rated it did not like it
this was an odd book for me. but you may enjoy.
the story is about a young woman whom just wants to not get past what her brothers choices are and what her mother has done.
Leanne
Jun 07, 2010 Leanne rated it liked it
Nice, easy LDS escape lit. I really liked Wright's portrayal of her main character, Suzanne, who is so snarky on the outside, while feeling vulnerable inside.
Whit
May 07, 2009 Whit rated it really liked it
I cried my way through this book. It was a very emotional read. I think it was well written and good LDS fiction. It was remniscent of Josi Kilpack to me.
Mindy
Apr 30, 2014 Mindy rated it liked it
I really appreciated the portrayal of a birthmother's experience before and after placement. It felt real. However, the adoption process described is outdated.

At one point a woman was very ill and they said she was taking a Z pack for her -very serious going to be hospitalized- pneumonia, yeah right. Sorry, lost some credibility with that one for me. Z pack is weak stuff.

It was very -everything falls into place-, but I thought the main character was well-rounded and believable, though I can't
Johnie
Mar 03, 2008 Johnie rated it it was amazing
REALLY REALLY GOOD BOOK!!
Erica
Aug 23, 2014 Erica rated it really liked it
Let's preface with; Tear. Jerker. And very LDS based content, tho I think any religious person would be fine reading it.

Synopsis: Abusive mother drives a wedge in her family, bringing her unloved & unwanted children closer. Fast forward to them as grown ups & we find 2 very opposite children. Suzanna (Cue) turned to drinking & drugs to drown out the pain of never feeling loved by her mother & somewhat abandoned by her dad. Her brother joined the LDS church, is getting married &a
Heather
Aug 24, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing
Alexes
Apr 18, 2010 Alexes rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: YES!!!!
Recommended to Alexes by: Me, i bought this book.
I just finished this book by Julie Wright. I could not put the book down to be honest. Wow. Julie is incredible at dialogue! I love the banter back and forth between Rion and Suzie. The teasing back and forth was perfect flirting and foreshadowing to what might become of their relationship later. :)

This book starts off tugging at the heart strings. Little kids are beated because of a Ovaltine spill in the kitchen. Suzannah the main character DID NOT have an ideal mother. She turned to drugs and
Julie
Jun 21, 2010 Julie rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit, 2010
I don't even know how to review this book. The story seemed so rushed. In the first 80 pages the main character went from being a party girl, to getting pregnant and scheduling an abortion, to cancelling the abortion and getting kicked out of her house, to deciding to take a bus cross-country to go stay with her brother and sister-in-law (members of the Morman church living in Utah). The characters themselves seemed shallow and undeveloped. The dialogue was sappy and it was very corny.

The second
Garrett
May 19, 2013 Garrett rated it it was amazing
Oh wow! I had bought this for my daughter a couple years ago but never got around to reading it myself. I have been missing out!

This is a must-read for any teenager (especially LDS ones) who feels like they don't fit in or who find themselves feeling alone and in a dark place. It is equally important of a read for the parents of said youth.

It has been awhile since a book has affected me this much. And it has more to do with things I needed to hear for me than with "understanding" a teenager.

Sett
Taffy
Jul 07, 2009 Taffy rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds-authors
I enjoy talking with Julie but I always feel like the shy girl talking to the popular girl! I get tongue tied and flustered only because she is so fun, funny and wickedly cool!
I rarely cry; not in movies and not while reading a book (well, sometimes those Hallmark commercials get me).
This book got me.
Probably because I am adopted.

I wasn't sure I wanted to read this book. I didn't want to read a YA sob story about sin and sinning and poor girl what ever will she do? Wringing of the hands...

But th
Terri
Mar 21, 2012 Terri rated it really liked it
For an LDS novel, I thought this book was pretty well done. This is the story of Suzanna (nickname Cue), a victim of her mother's child abuse and father's neglect (though he does love her). Cue's brother Sam is a convert to the LDS church, and lives in Utah with his new wife. When Cue discovers she is pregnant, she rejects an abortion, is kicked out of her parents' home, and loses her job. She runs away to Utah and eventually turns her life around, with great help from her brother Sam, the gospe ...more
Nicole Handy
Mar 14, 2008 Nicole Handy rated it liked it
This was our book for Book Club this month. It is the first Deseret Book title I have read in many years. It is about a young girl who has horrible homelife and finds herself pregnant. She ends up moving in with her Mormon brother in Utah. At times I was dry heaving in this book because of all of the stereotypical mormon scenes (i.e. "I went to the temple and now I know you are the one I'm going to marry...you may not know it now, but I'll wait") and the writing was pretty basic. I kept thinking ...more
Heather McCubbin
Apr 26, 2010 Heather McCubbin rated it it was amazing
I bought this book at the LDStorymakers conference this past weekend. I began reading it about 2 hours into my 4 hour flight home, luckily (well, reading wise) we were delayed for 4 hours, at another airport, and I was able to finish this wonderful book.
The journey Cue finds herself taking is written very realistically done and is so emotional I found myself tearing up while on the plane. Each character seems to jump off the pages and the abuse that Cue endures as a child, even though it's only
Melissa
Mar 16, 2012 Melissa rated it it was ok
This one was hard to rate. There were parts of the book that I really enjoyed. The author obviously felt very connected to her main character and the depth created by that bond was obvious. But there were also parts of the story that left me cold and detached. Now that I have finished it I find that I am torn in my opinion of this story. It was definetely not my favorite, but there were parts of it that really tugged at my heart. I'm not completely firm in my feelings abou it. Honestly 2 stars i ...more
Debbie Barr
Feb 27, 2009 Debbie Barr rated it really liked it
This book was terribly distracting. I couldn't seem to do homework, want to go to class, or do much of anything while I was reading it, simply because the characters pulled me so much into the book.

If you aren't a Mormon, you probably wouldn't enjoy this book as much, simply because it's targeted to a Mormon audience. But, who knows? I could be wrong.

I don't read much of Mormon fiction, because it tends to be badly written "Charly" wannabes where everything gets solved with one prayer. This boo
Carri
Jul 14, 2014 Carri rated it liked it
I almost gave this book 4 stars. It was a good book dealing with more sensitive issues. It is an LDS fiction
book. I am LDS but don't read LDS fiction often. I am glad I took a chance on this one. I felt, as I read the book, and that brings high marks in my opinion.

Rachel Boling
Sep 04, 2013 Rachel Boling rated it it was amazing
I have read a lot of mormon romance novels, and this is one of the better ones. The main character starts out being a party girl, and she quickly finds out she is pregnant. She is eventually driven to travel across country to live with her brother and his new wife, because there is no other place for her to turn. While she does find a nice boy and eventually end up with him, that is not the point of this story. The point is really her relationship with her baby, and how that makes her into a bet ...more
  • The Icing on the Cake
  • Time and Eternity
  • Royal Target (Royal, #1)
  • All the Stars in Heaven
  • The Ball's in Her Court
  • What the Doctor Ordered
  • All's Fair
  • Delicious Conversation
  • Band of Sisters  (Band Of Sisters, #1)
  • City of Angels (Rhea Jensen, #1)
  • Agent in Old Lace
  • The Orchard
  • Mile 21
Julie Wright wrote her first book when she was fifteen. She's written over twenty novels since then. She is represented by Sara Crowe at Harvey Klinger Inc. She is a Whitney Awards winner for best romance with her book Cross My Heart and a Crown Heart recipient for the novel The Fortune Café.

She has one husband, three kids, one dog, and a varying amount of fish, frogs, and salamanders (depending o
More about Julie Wright...