Start by marking “The Collected Poems of Weldon Kees (Third Edition)” as Want to Read:
The Collected Poems of Weldon Kees (Third Edition)

The Collected Poems of Weldon Kees (Third Edition)

4.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  216 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
The Collected Poems of Weldon Kees showcases the dark brilliance and absorbing vision of one of America’s most fascinating artistic and literary figures, Weldon Kees (1914–55).
Published December 1st 2003 by Bison Books (first published December 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about The Collected Poems of Weldon Kees, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Collected Poems of Weldon Kees

Tosh
Feb 07, 2009 Tosh rated it it was amazing
To be honest I picked up this book up because of the photograph on the front cover. i thought ' what a stylish man.' i also liked the image in the back of him - which looked like an announcement for a painting show. He was also a painter among other things. But it is a poet that we are here now.

I imagine if Cornell Woolrich wrote poetry and he was fascinated with the downfall of life in general -you would have the poetry of Kees. What is remarkable about his work is that he's like a master surge
Kevin Lawrence
Dec 11, 2015 Kevin Lawrence rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
A narrow master but still a master. If the world actually published my poetry (only if!), I'd suspect people would assume Kees was an influence but really I've come to him quite late in my life. It's unfortunate that his apparent suicide and disappearance is better known than his poems. His influence on me (and maybe other "younger" poets?) probably can be traced to his influence on Frederick Seidel, but it's hard for me to place Kees in a proper lineage. At his weakest, Eliot clearly had an inf ...more
Jim Coughenour
Jul 10, 2007 Jim Coughenour rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reconditepoetry
Like many others, I found my way to Weldon Kees (1914 - 1955) via Donald Justice, who almost single-handedly rescued Kees from obscurity. Don Paterson (in his anthology, 101 Sonnets) called Kees one of the "most unremittingly bleak poets ever to wield the pen." Or in the image of Justice, "The wall cracks; the stain spreads; he does not budge from his chair."

Kees was a man of many talents — not only as a poet, but as an abstract expressionist painter, an art critic, a jazz musician, an organizer
Andrew
Dec 19, 2008 Andrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unlike most others, I came upon Weldon Kees, not through the usual Donald Justice way, but, in the book drop of the Berkeley Public library when I was still working there. I picked up the tattered paperback and loved it on the spot. Weldon Kees is a much under-appreciated poet/renaissance man. True, he's as gloomy as T. S. Eliot and Auden, but what an original voice. You should really check him out, especially those of us who have a more pessimistic/realistic sensibility.

Here's my poem from my
Andrew
Oct 31, 2008 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of The Bridge, both the poem and the documentary
Do you wear a web over your wasted worth?
I wear a web.

Do you fear the keyhole's splintered eye?
I fear the eye.

Can you hear the worthless morning's mirth?
I hear it.

The broken braying from whitening skies?
Yes I hear it yes.

To spend the end and feed the fire
Is day's insistence, night's demand:
To pay the unrequested fare
And wave the wavering wand.

The streets are full of broken glass,
Sparkling in this frenzied noon.
With naked feet and banaged eyes
You'll walk them - not just now, but soon.
Rauan
Feb 09, 2009 Rauan rated it it was amazing
I haven't read any Kees in a couple of years but remember loving it.
so carefully written. delicate. and bleak. damned bleak.
Georgina Titmus
Mar 08, 2016 Georgina Titmus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adore the poetry of Weldon Kees, the Robinson poems in particular: "He wakes in sweat to the terrible moonlight and what might be silence. It drones like wires far beyond the roofs, and the long curtains blow into the room." Weldon Kees vanished in 1955, leaving his car parked near the Golden Gate Bridge. A man of mystery ... and genius.
Cooper Renner
Mar 26, 2015 Cooper Renner rated it really liked it
Sharp, imagistic, cynical, dark--and a strong influence on the much better known poetry of Donald Justice. Justice worked hard to keep Kees's name before the reading public and hopefully his efforts will have born fruit.
Stephen
Feb 28, 2008 Stephen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Donald Justice saved this poet from obscurity. Kees remains an enigma. The man simply disappeared. His car was found near the Golden Gate. Many assume suicide. I loved his collected poems. Mr. Justice did the world a service worthy of his surname by giving this volume the attention it deserves.
Oleg Kagan
Aug 13, 2009 Oleg Kagan rated it really liked it
An excellent poet with a mysterious death.

There are Villanelles in this book and other verse forms as well as free verse. Various subjects. Occasionally moody. Actually, quite depressive. Will surely have to return to Weldon Kees sometime soon.
Ross Cohen
If Eliot wrote short poems with the form and focus of Elizabeth Bishop and the thematic tendencies of Elmore Leonard, he'd be something like Weldon Kees (But probably not as cool).
Helen
Feb 02, 2009 Helen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
This is one of my favourite little collections of modern American poetry. He's just a little outside of it all, at every moment. I love to read this every couple of years.
R L Swihart
Jun 09, 2012 R L Swihart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Earlier poems are echoes of Eliot. Not all of the poems are great, but there are certainly enough gems to keep you reading (and wanting more).
Rachel
Apr 21, 2010 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, for-a-class
Read bits and pieces of this--odd that he's not really read very widely anymore, I think he could really jive with contemporary poets.
Saul
Oct 11, 2011 Saul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"...all covering his sad and usual heart, dry as a winter leaf."
Lindsay
Oct 07, 2010 Lindsay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
dark but beautiful
Brendan Ford
Jan 03, 2010 Brendan Ford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite poet.
Rolyath
Rolyath marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Adam
Adam is currently reading it
Aug 21, 2016
Roland Montgomery
Roland Montgomery marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2016
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Hessa Almutairi
Hessa Almutairi marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Bixby
Bixby marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2016
Mark Mendoza
Mark Mendoza marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Peter
Peter rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2016
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
  • The Complete Poems
  • Great American Prose Poems: From Poe to the Present
  • Insomnia Diary
  • Velocities: New and Selected Poems, 1966-1992
Weldon Kees was born in Beatrice, Nebraska, on February 24, 1914. His father, John Kees, owned a hardware store. As a boy, Kees had an interest in music, art, and writing. He also published his own movie magazine. In 1935, he graduated from the University of Nebraska with a B.A. degree. While still in college, Kees began to publish fiction in many mid-western literary magazines.

Kees began to write
More about Weldon Kees...

“What other hope does life hold out
But the miraculous, the skilled and patient
Execution, the teamwork, all the pain and worry every miracle involves?”
6 likes
“But the room is cold, the words in the books are cold;
And the question of whether we get what we ask for
Is absurd, unanswered by the sound of an unlatched door
Rattling in wind, or the sound of snow on roofs, or glare
Of the winter sun. What we have learned is not what we were told.
I watch the snow, feel for the heartbeat that is not there.”
5 likes