Start by marking “The Forsyte Saga & A Modern Comedy” as Want to Read:
The Forsyte Saga & A Modern Comedy

The Forsyte Saga & A Modern Comedy (The Forsyte Chronicles #1-6)

4.79 of 5 stars 4.79  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Published September 30th 1976 by William Heinemann (first published 1906)

To ask other readers questions about The Forsyte Saga & A Modern Comedy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Forsyte Saga & A Modern Comedy

Caryn
Aug 20, 2013 Caryn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Caryn by: PBS
Challenging to read. A complete history of the changing British empire from the late 1880s to post World War I, despite the fictional characters and stories. Reading the full series is like stepping into a time machine. The pictures are all realistic -- both dark and light. And fully human.

The details are incredible . . . from descriptions of business, law, social constructs dictating a proper marriage, and the impact of war and a shrinking colonial empire on all aspects of British society.

It
Arline
Mar 07, 2008 Arline rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anglophiles
Recommended to Arline by: PBS
I have been enthralled with The Forsyte Saga ever since viewing it on PBS in 1959 or 1960. It was in black and white. Not many people had color TV then. Imagine that! I was mesmerized by the interaction between Irene, Soames, and Bosinney as well as Young Jolyn and Helene.

Later in the series we begin to see the budding romance between Irene's son Jon and Jolyn's daughter Holly.
Irene (Casey)
I think it is sufficient to say that I never wanted the story to end. I will re-read it soon, if not soon, then in my old age just so I can love these people again.
NancyHelen
NancyHelen marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Alexandra
Alexandra is currently reading it
May 06, 2014
Alexei
Alexei marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2013
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
May 28, 2013
April Antoniou Rodriguez
April Antoniou Rodriguez marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
John Galsworthy was an English novelist and playwright whose literary career spanned the Victorian, Edwardian and Georgian eras.

In addition to his prolific literary status, Galsworthy was also a renowned social activist. He was an outspoken advocate for the women's suffrage movement, prison reform and animal rights. Galsworthy was the president of PEN, an organization that sought to promote intern
More about John Galsworthy...
The Forsyte Saga (The Forsyte Chronicles, #1-3) The Man of Property: The Forsyte Saga To Let: The Forsyte Saga In Chancery (The Forsyte Saga) The White Monkey (The Forsyte Saga)