Start by marking “Last Man Out: The Story of the Springhill Mine Disaster” as Want to Read:
Last Man Out: The Story of the Springhill Mine Disaster

Last Man Out: The Story of the Springhill Mine Disaster

October 23, 1958. Springhill, Nova Scotia. At 8:06 pm, the deepest coal mine in North America yielded to pressure from the earth's core and burst apart. Subterranean collisions shook the town, registered in distant cities as an earthquake, and upset ships at sea. 175 miners were trapped a vertical mile underground. Volunteer rescuers fought down into a maelstrom of gas and ...more
Audio, 75 pages
Published April 1st 2003 by Recorded Books (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Last Man Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Man Out

Enikő
Nov 01, 2011 Enikő rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another one of those books that you read and then can't stop thinking about. It was very well written. Everyone's personalities were so well described that the reader really got a sense of who everyone was. I had been surprised to see that the author was American, but when I read and saw the American connection, it made sense. I was just surprised because I had expected the author of such a book would be Canadian.

The true story begins in Book I by introducing the miners, their lifestyle and dail
Brandy Navetta
Mar 30, 2016 Brandy Navetta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such an interesting read. It's honest depiction of this event was informative, but written in such a way that I didn't feel like it was some gory glorification of a real life horror. The political side story is interesting too, particularly with the recent successes of Donald Trump. I couldn't help but compare him to Governor Griffin in Georgia. Will this country EVER learn? Definitely worth a read.
Peg
Feb 17, 2009 Peg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm claustrophobic. So it took me a long time to pick up Greene's Last Man Out. But I loved her writing so much, I was willing to give it a fling. It was such a compelling read that I gave it to my husband and he gave to his dad and he gave it to... You get the idea. And the strange connection of this mining disaster to Georgia finally answered my question: How did Greene become interested in researching this event?
My Review: In this highly industrialized and technology-saturated culture of ours it becomes all too easy to take seemingly tiny things for granted; effortlessly flicking on a light switch, filling up our gas-guzzlers at the nearest station, stopping by the grocery store where every food and unnecessary product imaginable is within reach. Rarely do we stop to think about the sacrifices, the generations of suffering, and the relentless physical turmoil endured by individuals working in the hells ...more
Ceh131973
Jun 25, 2015 Ceh131973 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a compelling story of miners who were trapped underground. In [Last Man Out] [Melissa Fay Greene] does an excellent job of capturing the emotions of those trapped as well as the families above ground. She also connects the political and economic climate of the time by telling the story of how these Canadian miners ended up connected to Georgia's fight for tourist dollars and caught experiencing segregation first hand. This is an emotional and well told story on many levels.
Janet
Aug 30, 2012 Janet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an extraordinary piece of journalism. Because the author had access to historical research, including interviews with the survivors, she was able to produce a more in-depth look at a mine disaster than I have ever read. Later interviews, including the author's own, with survivors, their families, rescuers, and others, allow her to create a thorough and textured story of human struggle--the triumphs, the missteps, the grieving--rich with memorable people and events.

The story of what happe
Al Maki
Mar 16, 2014 Al Maki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Canadians of a certain age will remember the event. Greene combines the research skills of a good reporter with a gift for empathy to bring to life the experience of these miners who were trapped underground. She also manages to shed some light on the workings of racism at the time.
Amy Weeks
Jan 14, 2016 Amy Weeks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I grew up " two towns over" from Springhill and we had class trips to the old coal mine so I knew the story but this book really hit it home for me. being from the area and haven been at the coal mine head really added a richness to this book . It's a beautifully written story.
Laura Buechler
Technically I only made it about two-thirds of the way through this book, which is when the story of the rescue ended and the story of the aftermath, including a lot of stuff about a state-sponsored holiday to racially-segregated Georgia, which was supposed to be great tourism advertising of the state. See, even that handful of words was more time than I really cared to spend on that subject. I wanted to read about miners who feared for their lives, and how they were rescued, and what they did w ...more
Jeff Sharlet
May 04, 2008 Jeff Sharlet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Greene's first book, Praying for Sheetrock, was an instant classic of literary journalism. She's never regained that same tautness between subject and prose, but this modest book -- a narrative recreation of a legendary mining disaster, the literary equivalent of a made-for-TV-movie -- comes closer than anything else she's done. Her prose is never as fertile as in Sheetrock, but it's just right for the job and for the hardbitten Canadian miners who are the heroes of her story. And the story has ...more
Courtenay
Oct 18, 2015 Courtenay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed how this story was told and I have a feeling it's going to stick with me.
Linda
Aug 10, 2014 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good historical narrative about the Springhill Mine Disaster. Many first hand thoughts about the mine and miner's lives.
Kara
Apr 26, 2010 Kara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I read this book based on reading her other books, 'There is No Me Without You' and 'Praying for Sheetrock'. She is one of my favorite non-fiction authors with her ability to make non-fiction so compelling and read like fiction. From 'Last Man Out' I have a better understanding of mining towns, mining, crisis, survival, US segregation in the late 1950's, and the years of healing after going through such an ordeal. It was also a timely read with recent mine disasters in West Virginia and China.
Pamela Gottfried
Nov 30, 2014 Pamela Gottfried rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great read--like all of her books about Georgia/history!
Annette
Seeing that this account of a 1958 Nova Scotia mine disaster was written by the author of Praying for Sheetrock: A Work of Nonfiction (1991) did attract my attention. Greene http://www.melissafaygreene.com/ provides a well-researched account of the struggle, courage, and suffering of trapped miners underground and agonized families above ground. Along the way, the author unveils links to Ed Sullivan and the state of Georgia. (lj)
Trailhoundz
Jul 14, 2013 Trailhoundz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A riveting account of the 1958 Springhill Mine Disaster in Canada. It was an "easy read" for non-fiction and went very quickly. Nice inset of b/w photos. I found the sub-story on the Atlanta governor & tourism ploy very slow and boring though, until the very end when the miners received their "vacation"- oye. Overall, a great summer read.
Vincent
Nov 07, 2009 Vincent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: danny lancaster
This is the story of the Springhill Mine disaster which was the subject of a popular folk song in the 60s. It is about the disaster and the eventual evolutions that took place afterward.
I have known and sung (usually to myself due to voice) this song for long and I found the book quite good.
Marilynn
I finished this August 2 and enjoyed it. I was impressed with the difference between these miners
and the miners in South America. I think it was the difference in time; although quite a few
were saved, many died. the difference in equipment, television coverage, etc.
Karen
Jul 29, 2008 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit depressing to read about death and deprivation but evoked a time period and the link to Georgia was pretty interesting with the segregation aspect of it. The end was kind of unsatisfying but it is a true story, so author didn't have much choice
Brent
Jan 31, 2016 Brent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just read anything by Greene! In this, Nova Scotia mine collapse survivors are invited to segregated Jekyll Island GA under Marvin Griffin: comedy of errors ensues after tragedy. The disaster and culture clash are both rich in dramatic irony.
Brian
Oct 03, 2012 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All her books are great. This could have been a standard disaster-survival tome. Instead it turns out to be about race relations. Don't want to give it away, read it, you won't regret your decision.
Julia
May 17, 2011 Julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an incredible story and I really enjoyed it. I found it a bit hard to follow because there were so many characters and thought it dragged a lot at the end but it was still a good book.
Brad
Jul 29, 2011 Brad rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was an okay read, an interesting story, but i expected so much more coming from an author who has twice been a finalist for the national book award. i'd give it a 6 out of 10.
Tim Painter
Feb 12, 2008 Tim Painter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, survival
This is the incredible survival story of the miners in Springhill. Very sad and yet inspiring with the survival of those who did make it out.
Diana
Feb 26, 2013 Diana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My grandfather was a coal miner all of his life and this book gave me an in sight to what he went through in the mines. Good book.
Devereaux Library SDSM&T
In 1958 a expanding gasses in a coal mine in Springhill, Nova Scotia sealed 174 men underground...
Katharine
Aug 04, 2008 Katharine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good historical book, which validates my lifelong aversion to mines.
Jim Swike
Jul 03, 2013 Jim Swike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing tragic story, a great read.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Nina Sabettini
Nina Sabettini marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Coming Back Alive: The True Story of the Most Harrowing Search and Rescue Mission Ever Attempted on Alaska's High Seas
  • Trapped: The 1909 Cherry Mine Disaster
  • Sole Survivor: A Story of Record Endurance at Sea
  • The Deep Dark: Disaster and Redemption in America's Richest Silver Mine
  • Fire on the Mountain: The True Story of the South Canyon Fire
  • The Forger: An Extraordinary Story of Survival in Wartime Berlin
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Ten Hours Until Dawn: The True Story of Heroism and Tragedy Aboard the Can Do
  • Bone Games: Extreme Sports, Shamanism, Zen, and the Search for Transcendence
  • Dry Guillotine: Fifteen Years Among The Living Dead (A Berkley Medallion Book)
  • Death's Door: The Truth Behind Michigan's Largest Mass Murder
  • Survive the Savage Sea
  • Washed Away: How the Great Flood of 1913, America's Most Widespread Natural Disaster, Terrorized a Nation and Changed It Forever
  • The Gunfighters (The Old West, #8)
  • Demon of the Waters: The True Story of the Mutiny on the Whaleship Globe
  • Snowstruck: In the Grip of Avalanches
  • The Raft
  • Barbara Jordan: American Hero
Melissa Greene has been a contributor to NPR, The New York Times Magazine, The New Yorker, LIFE, Good Housekeeping, Newsweek, The Atlantic, Readers Digest, Ms., The Wilson Quarterly, Redbook, and Salon.com. She lives in Atlanta with her husband, Don Samuel, a criminal defense attorney. They have been married for 28 years and are the parents of nine children: Molly, Seth, Lee, Lily, Jesse (adopted ...more
More about Melissa Fay Greene...