Start by marking “The Kept Woman” as Want to Read:

3.81  ·  Rating Details ·  3,966 Ratings  ·  137 Reviews
WHEN A GOOD-GIRL DIVORCEE
Playing by the rules has left Samantha Monroe with an AWOL ex-husband, maxed out credit cards, and the task of raising three children on a hairstylist's salary. It's time for a new game plan. When Sam learns that politician Jack Tolliver needs someone to play the part of his fiancee for six months in return for a generous paycheck, she's ready to s
Published December 4th 2006 by Headline Eternal (first published 2006)

Stephanie
I think I may have found a new favorite in Ms. Donovan. She manages to weave a great tale around characters that, as a reader I feel I could like in real life.
Sam is a divorced mother of three just trying to keep her head above water. She has bills to pay, a 60 hour a week job, two tweens, a toddler, and very little time for herself. You can feel her pain.

Jack is your typical pretty boy former athlete politician. He goes through women like most go through under ware. He has really never had to
Hannah
This one just didn't do it for me. I knew from the back cover blurb that the premise (playboy politician gets a fake fiance to clean up his image) was silly, but I know of several authors who could have pulled it off with clever writing, endearing characters, and playful humor. Susan Donovan just wasn't up to the task.

The writing in this novel was passable, but far from perfect. Donavan did a lot of telling rather than showing, and I got tired of her fondness of exclamation points. The pacing of
Michelle
Susan Donovan
Contempory Romance
372 pages
Copyright: 2006
ISBN: 0-312-939507

WHEN A GOOD-GIRL DIVORCÉE Playing by the rules has left Samantha Monroe with an AWOL ex-husband, maxed out credit cards, and the task of raising three children on a hairstylist’s salary. It’s time for a new game plan. When Sam learns that politician Jack Tolliver needs someone to play the part of his fiancÉe for six months in return for a generous paycheck, she’s ready to sign up on the spot.

MEETS A BAD-BOY P
ElaineY
This was one of the two Susan Donovans I brought with me on holiday to Thailand. The other was an older title, Take A Chance On Me. I liked both though I think most Contemp Romance fans are likely to rate the older book higher. It's just that I'm a sucker for Cinderella-type stories and this is what The Kept Woman is even if the heroine gets her prince by agreeing to be "kept" by him temporarily.

I found this a fun book and just right for a holiday read. Donovan reminds me of Susan Andersen's and
Crista
May 19, 2010 Crista rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-star, contemporary, lol
I've read Take a Chance On Me by this author and LOVED it, so I was very excited to read this book. I expected the same stuff that I got from TACOM...humor, emotionally tormented characters, and a decent plot line. This story gave me only 1 out of the 3. It was funny.

I laughed out loud at several of the scenes in this book....whether it was Sam's little toddler who was having difficulty potty training or her hilarious best friend, this book certainly had the humor. What it didn't have was likea
Emily
Samantha Monroe has had to fight tooth and nail for everything in life, with three children and a dead beat ex-husband in her wake, she can't resist when an offer to pretend she if the fiancee' of political candidate Jack Tolliver drops in her lap.

Jack has the reputation of being a bit of a playboy, which is not winning favors with the voters. Trying to clean up his image, he is willing to go along with the pretend romance to Samantha, but as he gets to know her and her children it becomes appar
Shannon C.
Apr 19, 2011 Shannon C. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humorous
2.5 stars: Humorous romantic comedy--light beach read

I deduct some stars due to the predictability of the storyline and I wasn't a fan of the lead guy (cheater/womanizer and coniving politician). However romance left you feeling good after reading it and the hero was sexy/hot, bad points aside. I also liked the interactions with the kids and friends.

This book was similar in style (but not quite as good) to books by Julie James, Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Jennifer Crusie, and Erin McCarthy.
Karla
May 22, 2011 Karla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: funny
Another good book by Susan Donovan. It took a little bit for this book to get going for me, but once it did, I really enjoyed it. Initially I was not a fan of Jack's but then he grew on me especially when he interacted with Sam's kids. He never knew what he was looking for until it was standing right in front of him and then he embraced it all, Samantha, her kids and her friends. A lot of feel good moments, and a sweet HEA.
Ana
Feb 13, 2016 Ana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gostei imenso do livro. Foi uma leitura leve e divertida, com os seus pontos mais sérios mas, em geral, um romance tranquilo. Apesar disso, valeu a pena como leitura mais leve e aconselho para quem está à procura deste tipo de livros.
Colleen
I would really give this one 4.5 stars. I liked this book so much better than Take a Chance on Me. Jack and Sam are great together and you will find yourself energized as their love story unfolds. It's a fairy tale come true!
Lauren
Feb 21, 2017 Lauren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. I read this book on Valentine's day, while on a business trip-it was a great fit! This book was a lot of fun, and the characters were more engaging than usual. Especially considering that I really didn't like the last Susan Donovan book I read, this was a lot better than I had expected.

I've read this at least twice, and I'll probably read it again, once I forget the details enough.

I would recommend to any looking for a fun, properly distracting yet minimally taxing romance novel.
Cheryl Karkoff
Jan 21, 2017 Cheryl Karkoff rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: delete
didn't finish
Shana Donahue
The Kept Woman is the story of Sam Monroe and Jack Tolliver. Sam is a divorced mother of three working as a hairdresser at an upscale salon in Chicago. Jack is the privilege son of a former senator. Injured in a football accident while he was in the NFL, Jack turns to politics because that is what Tolliver men do, football and running for office. Jack, however, is somewhat of a playboy and has a variety of girlfriends who are not necessarily suitable to his senatorial aspirations.

That’s where Sa
Starry
Sep 26, 2011 Starry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anne
Dec 22, 2016 Anne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Before picking up this book the reader must be willing to completely suspend disbelief b/c the premise is completely unrealistic and that EVERYONE (including the kids) knows the big secret and was able to keep it a secret. When does that ever happen in real life? It was nice fluff, great for a cold, winter day, but otherwise I wouldn't recommend.
Heather
Truth be told, I picked this book among the many title of little black dress books because I craved for a plot that revolves around a playboy guy falling head over heels for a simple woman. And this book just gave me what I wanted for the moment.

The plot was nothing out of ordinary. Its almost as predictable as it can get. Yet, I guess what kept me from reading was the author's very profound description of the scene. Its detailed enough that we can imagine the whole scene playing out. As I may
Pam
May 06, 2014 Pam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Kept Woman is a humorous book by Susan Donovan.
Samantha Monroe is barely keeping her head above water trying to balance a full time job as a hair stylist and raising three children as a single woman. Her husband, Mitch, left just after Dakota was born saying he could no longer live a lie. He was gay and was tired of pretending otherwise. This was the first of many shocks Samantha was to get. He disappeared and has paid no child support to help her out. :No one can locate him.
Jack Tolliver
Dianne
Oct 24, 2011 Dianne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This is what I consider one of my "comfort reads", a book I read just because I love it so much and one that I pull out anytime nothing else would seem to do.

The story is excellent with just a touch of "pop-corn" read to it. The characters are well developed and they grow even in the short time this book allows us.

The premise may not be a new one, but it is handled perfectly, giving us laughter and even some tears.

When a comment is made in passing (and jokingly) in front of her friends about bec
Laurie
WHEN A GOOD-GIRL DIVORCÉE Playing by the rules has left Samantha Monroe with an AWOL ex-husband, maxed out credit cards, and the task of raising three children on a hairstylist's salary. It's time for a new game plan. When Sam learns that politician Jack Tolliver needs someone to play the part of his fiancée for six months in return for a generous paycheck, she's ready to sign up on the spot.

MEETS A BAD-BOY POLITICIAN
Jack needs Sam and her kids to help tone down his image from womanizing cad to
Patrice
Feb 11, 2012 Patrice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: funny romantic comedies readers
Shelves: 2012-books-read
If a story that runs the gamut of emotions is what you like, then this is the story for you. It’s funny, sad, poignant and silly. It’s a story about a down-on-her luck single mom of three, Samantha Monroe . She works as a hair stylist. Her husband suddenly realized he was “living a lie” when he figured out he was gay and left her at the same time she found out she was pregnant with their third child. They got a divorce and he was supposed to pay child support to her for the children. He disappea ...more
Cindi
Aug 02, 2011 Cindi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe I read this book when I was exactly in the mood for some chic lit, but I loved it. Its been a while since I've really been able to related to the H/h in that genre. Samantha and Jack were about as real as an author could get; their dialog and emotions were splendidly handled and kept everything very believable.

Sam, a 36-yr old hairstylist and single mother of 3, is barely hanging in there. Jack is 38 and has spent his life being a rich playboy with a bent for politics. His run for Senator
Noémi nykyriana Molnár
Donovan Csábits el! című könyvét olvastam először. Hú, az kedvenc könyv lett :) Ez nem annyira :) de attól még jó volt :)
Ajánlom mindenkinek, aki egy kis, könnyed szerelmi történetre vágyik :)
Donovan könyveiben azt szerettem… az első csók nagyon hamar elcsattan :) utána jön egy kis visszakozás… hogy izé, hát ezt most mégse kéne XD XD aztán szenvednek egymás nélkül egy kört… ami a legjobban tetszik, hogy mindkét könyvben a férfiak estek először szerelembe :) és ők is vallották be elsőnek :)) cs
Zeek
Mar 04, 2011 Zeek rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemp-rom
This one pretty much lost me after the unpotty-trained kid showed up. Well maybe not that early but it wasn't long after. For me TKW just felt a little too predictable for me to get in to. I don't mind predictable every once and awhile but I had a hard time staying with this one.

The send up is fun. What girl doesn't day dream at least once in her life about being a "kept woman". No worries over money and the time to do whatever the heck we want- without a boss breathing down our neck? Oh Hells y
Vicki
Feb 23, 2011 Vicki rated it liked it
Three stars for 'The Kept Woman' by Susan Donovan. This books was middle of the range for me. I've read much worse but I've also read much better.

It's the story of struggling mum Samantha Monroe and the sexy Senate candidate, Jack Tolliver. Jack is a ladies man with a history of using them and losing them but to win the Senate seat he decides he needs a respectable woman by his side. He and Sam enter a financial arrange where Sam and her kids play the dotting family at Jack's side and in return
Umme
Sep 21, 2014 Umme rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I truly loved the book!!! It has everything!- love, drama, sadness, heartache, pain, sacrifice. It’s so heartwarming and soothing. It’s a lovely book for all women especially young adults like myself. It’s a reminder that ‘love will find its way’ as Westlife says it. Samantha’s been through a lot and she finally found her happy ever after.

The plot didn’t rush through the story, you have the past flashed in when needed, you have the information that tells you how this and that came to be; it’s a
Barbara ★
This was a typical chick lit novel which is not my favorite genre by any stretch of the imagination. Divorced mother of three, Samantha Monroe is offered a sweet deal by Senatorial candidate Jack Tolliver...pretend to be his fiance until the election and get a boatload of cash and other ammentities (college tuition for her kids, a huge house, etc). What struggling hair stylist could possibly resist such an offering? Certainly not Samantha. Once Jack gets used to the kids (he of course is a playe ...more
Marquetta
The Kept Woman is a quick and easy read about a divorcee who's trying to keep her head above water. Her husband left while she was pregnant with their third child. He's behind on child support payments and is nowhere to be found. One night while hanging with her gal pals at a bar, Sam drunkenly makes the comment that she wouldn't mind being a kept woman. From that innocent comment, her life is changed forever. I enjoyed this book even though I had a problem with the name of Sam's best friend - M ...more
Twiggy
2.5 - 3 stars.

Samantha Monroe is a hairdresser with 2 kids and an ex husband who doesn't pay child support.
Jack Tolliver is running for the senate but his reputation as a womaniser is putting his chances at risk.
His campaign manager knows Sam and suggests that they have a fake relationship which will benefit Sam financially and make jack look like a family man.
The two are instantly attracted to one another and the fake relationship becomes a real one, albeit they have to hide this from those
Angie
May 25, 2010 Angie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was definitely a page turner! One I couldn't put down! Be AWARE! Not for the faint of heart! It has language and sexual content!

I loved the storyline! A single mom of 3 who is a hairstylist and barely getting by is approached by a politician to act like his fiance to better his chances into the U.S. Senate. Let's just say, because of the wonderful terms and pay, she accepts!

It doesn't take long at all for this story to unfold into a beautiful relationship!

I'm not going to ruin it for you
  • Hot Wheels and High Heels (Playboys, #1)
  • Daisy's Back in Town (Lovett, Texas, #1)
  • All Shook Up
  • Mouth To Mouth
  • Then He Kissed Me (Three Kisses, #2)
SUSAN DONOVAN's novels have won accolades for being witty, sexy, and entertaining. A former newspaper reporter with journalism degrees from Northwestern University, Susan is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author whose novels have been translated into dozens of languages. Susan is a two-time RITA Award finalist, and her novel TAKE A CHANCE ON ME was named Best Contemporary Romance of 20 ...more
More about Susan Donovan...