Start by marking “Conan: Conan the Warrior (Book 7)” as Want to Read:
Conan: Conan the Warrior (Book 7)

Conan: Conan the Warrior (Conan the Barbarian)

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  2,512 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
#7
Mass Market Paperback, 222 pages
Published April 1st 1983 by Ace Books (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Conan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conan

Jim
This is one of the best Conan books - I have the Lancer edition from the 60's. Excellent cover art by Frazetta. This contains 3 stories that sum up Conan very well.
Carol Storm
This collection of original CONAN stories is okay, but my favorite is still CONAN THE FREEBOOTER.

The problem with the stories in this volume is that there isn't very much romance, and there's a certain cheesiness to the cardboard backgrounds. Here's Conan in the jungles, fighting stereotypical black natives right out of TARZAN. Here's Conan in the lost cities of some sort of Mayan race, and the brown-skinned natives are all crazy fanatics. Then the priest turns up, and he's got some kind of ele
Charles
Jan 03, 2009 Charles rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Mostly Howard, and some of his better Conan stories. Some editing by De Camp. Proably 3 and a half stars.
Michael
May 26, 2014 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book 7 in my re-read of the Conan series. Spoilers ahead!

Red Nails

I had read an assortment of Conan stories as a kid, and this is one I remember vividly, especially this passage from the beginning where Conan and a busty, blond pirate named Valeria are in a dense forest and encounter a prehistoric reptile.

"Through the thicket was thrust a head of nightmare and lunacy. Grinning jaws bared rows of dripping yellow tusks; above the yawning mouth wrinkled a saurian-like snout. Huge eyes, like those o
Ffion Rowe
May 30, 2013 Ffion Rowe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Robert E Howard was a master fantasy writer,one of the greatest and perhaps most unjustly neglected architects of the genre. For me this volume demonstrates that he is infinitely superior to any of the later writers who chose to take up the sword of his enduring creation, Conan.

I found the style of these stories, in particular the deliciously dark 'Red Nails', an absolute treat(if you like it you should check out the vintage 1936 Margaret Brundage illustration from the cover of 'Weird Tales' on
Graham
May 23, 2009 Graham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, anthology
CONAN THE WARRIOR is a book in the long-running anthology series, edited by L. Sprague de Camp. Thankfully, I don't think the editor interfered with these tales, and if he did it isn't evident.

Each of the stories is an example of the author at the top of his game. RED NAILS is the archetypal Conan adventure: there's danger, conflict and intrigue on every one of the 80 pages. Super plot elements include a battle with a ferocious dragon, deadly foreign fighters, the mysterious Burning Skull, an ag
Gabriel Wallis
Jan 26, 2013 Gabriel Wallis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Ah, Conan. I have always liked Conan, and I haven't been disappointed in any of the original Conan books so far. Concerning "Conan the Warrior", I liked all three stories presented in the book... "Red Nails", "Jewels of Gwahlur", and "Beyond the Black River". In "Red Nails", Conan and a pirate woman by the name of Valeria find themselves fighting a large dragon before entering an abandoned-looking city where there's a feud going on between two warring factions. Both sides are out to completely d ...more
Michael
The first book I read by Robert E Howard was the Lancer edition of this book "Conan the Warrior" in 1966. The first story is the last Conan story written by Howard, "Red Nails". This story introduced the She Pirate, "Valeria of the Red Brotherhood". The story is pure Howard; an ancient lost city in a plain surrounded by a jungle rampant with dragons (or stegasauruses if you will),an evil queen, a supernatural menace, and a beautiful heroine who can hold her own with a sword.
The second story, "J
Jean-Francois Boivin
"Red Nails". Tauted by many as REH's best Conan story, I thought it's great but not nearly my favorite story at all. It's another story of Conan coming across another ancient lost town with strange people fighting amongst themselves in an ancestral feud. And some ancient wizard is involved. And Conan gets the girl at the end. I make it sound cliché but it is greatly written in the REH style!"

"Jewels of Gwahlur". This one I liked a little bit less than REH's usual masterpieces. Because it has som
George
May 31, 2012 George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ο πύργος του ερπετού

Αυτό είναι το δεύτερο βιβλιαράκι του Ρόμπερτ Χάουαρντ που διαβάζω, πρώτο ήταν το Ο άρχοντας των νεκρών (το οποίο μου άρεσε), ενώ παράλληλα είναι και η πρώτη ιστορία του Κόναν που περνάει στην λίστα με τα διαβασμένα. Οι εντυπώσεις μου θετικότατες, η ιστορία ήταν όπως ακριβώς την περίμενα. Ο Κόναν συναντά σε μια ζούγκλα την Βαλέρια, πειρατίνα που ανήκει στην Πορφυρή Αδελφότητα. Στην ζούγκλα αυτή συναντάνε ένα τεράστιο προϊστορικό τέρας, σαν δράκος, και μετά από αρκετές δυσκολίε
Jim
The continuing adventures of Robert Howard's legendary character Conan the Barbarian, here repackaged by L. Sprague deCamp. Conan the Warrior only contains three Conan short stories, but all three are Robert Howard originals and two of them, "Red Nails" and "The Jewels of Gwahlur" (also sometimes titled "The Servants of Bit-Yakin") are among Howard's very best. "Red Nails," in fact, is my personal favorite out of all Howard's Conan stories, and it was the last one that he wrote before he died. T ...more
James
Apr 13, 2014 James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading this it is clear why Howard is one of the premier scribes of pulp fiction. From beginning to end the action is vigorously propelled like a stone skipping across the water. Even though the characters lack depth and the dialogue is awkward (the less said the better). Howard vividly and masterfully creates a tableaux in which the reader can vicariously experience the adventures of Valeria and Conan, filled with dinosaurs, catacombs, ghosts, lost cities and plentiful sword-play all dip ...more
Cian Beirdd
Jun 19, 2013 Cian Beirdd rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
In researching for the writings of my own literary universe, I had come across Robert Howard as the creator of a vibrant, gritty, prehistoric world. And, though my universe will have no magic many of its inhabitants will believe it does. The first story I came across was "Red Nails", which as it turns out is considered Howard's best. Admittedly it is gritty and vibrant, making the universe itself interesting to explore. But the writing is full of redundant descriptions and the plot is amateurish ...more
Timothy Boyd
Jan 15, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Another of the heavily edited collections of Robert E. Howards stories. I am a purist when it comes to a writers works. I know some of these stories are no longer PC but they should be read as Howard wrote them and understood that he wrote in another period. Don't read this book unless you just can't find any others of Howard's unedited books to read. Message me if you need a list of what is good from this awesome fantasy and action writer.
Bobby Bermea
Jun 12, 2010 Bobby Bermea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like a specific kind of heroic fantasy.
I really enjoyed this series and enjoyed the overall arc and intention of the project. However, there is a distinct difference between Howard's stories and the stories of Lin Carter and L. Sprague de Camp. Sometimes there's simply no making up for talent and Robert E. Howard had a talent for telling stories. This book is all Howard, all of the time and "Red Nails" may be Conan's finest hour.
Keith Davis
Nov 27, 2009 Keith Davis rated it really liked it
Robert Howard invented the barbarian "sword & sorcery" style of Fantasy writing, and no one has surpassed him at writing it. Howard's Conan is a primal entity, almost more animal than man. Many writers have carried on the stories of Conan with mixed results. It is best to seek out the volumes that collect only the Howard stories, not all the later continuations.
Todd Martin
May 23, 2014 Todd Martin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I have a soft spot in my heart for pre-WWII pulp fiction, particularly Robert E. Howard's Conan stories. Although not exactly high literature, Howard knows how to spin a fun and entertaining yarn. It's a shame he didn't live longer.
John Devlin
The master of Sword and Sorcery. Great stories that scare and delight; a hero, who's strength and cunning go unrivaled, and a good dollop of other-world building that make all Conan's novels great reads.
AndrewP
Nov 23, 2014 AndrewP rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one contains the story 'Red Nails' featuring Red Sonja
Joe
Dec 28, 2014 Joe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: all-time-best
I was 21 when I first came across these novels. I devoured the first ten in the series in short order. A classic and one of the all time greats. Even the ones that weren't completely Howard's words.
Peter
May 06, 2012 Peter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
the Conan books were the first and the best big barbarian type books
Gjermund Hauge
Spennende Conan.
Robert C.
Nov 09, 2012 Robert C. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
The books I'd take to a desert island.
The books I'd save from a house on fire.
The books I read over and over.
The best of the best.
David
Sep 02, 2012 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, I'm a closet Conan fan and a big one at that although this "book" has been sitting in my BlackBerry for maybe over a year now. It is finally read.
Ronald
Oct 13, 2016 Ronald rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
possibly read in spring 1968
Alan
Oct 04, 2016 Alan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
this was a re-read....first read this in the 1970's. Conan stories are timeless adventure. Howard's writing is very entertaining.
Nicholas Hunter
Three REH short stories, "Red Nails", "Jewels of Gwahlur", and "Beyond The Black River". Edited by L. Sprague de Camp. Cover art by Frank Frazetta.
Jim Harnish
Jim Harnish rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2013
Sharon
Sharon rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2013
Zane Goertzen
Zane Goertzen rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2013
  • Conan of Aquilonia (Book 11)
  • Conan: Sword of Skelos
  • Conan the Triumphant (Conan, #4)
  • Conan The Fearless (Conan)
  • Conan: Road of Kings
  • Conan the Rebel
  • Conan the Valorous
  • Conan the Renegade (Conan)
Robert Ervin Howard was an American pulp writer of fantasy, horror, historical adventure, boxing, western, and detective fiction. Howard wrote "over three-hundred stories and seven-hundred poems of raw power and unbridled emotion" and is especially noted for his memorable depictions of "a sombre universe of swashbuckling adventure and darkling horror."

He is well known for having created — in the p
More about Robert E. Howard...

Conan the Barbarian (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Conan (Book 1)
  • Conan of Cimmeria (Conan 2)
  • Conan The Freebooter (Conan, #3)
  • Conan the Wanderer (Conan, #4)
  • Conan the Adventurer (Conan 5)
  • Conan the Buccaneer (Conan, #6)
  • Conan the Usurper (Conan, #8)
  • Conan the Conqueror