Hellblazer: Freezes Over

Hellblazer: Freezes Over (Hellblazer #17)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  1,043 ratings  ·  11 reviews
SC, TPB, in cello, New, Written by Brian Azzarello. Art by Marcelo Frusin, Steve Dillon, and Guy Davis. Published in May of 2003, Softcover, 168 pages, full color. Cover price $14.95.
Published June 1st 2003 by Vertigo

To ask other readers questions about Hellblazer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hellblazer

Paul
I stopped reading and buying the regular Hellblazer comicas with issue 133, the Son of Man storyarc.
Reading theses stories on a monthly basis didn't have all that hold and the interest just sort of faded.

I've recently started buying the trades of the stories that follw and reading them that way.

The stories are much better when being read as a whole.

In Hellbazer: Freezes Over, you've got 3 short stories. All 3 are so full of plot-holes that you could probably fit a VW Bug right thru em. But, ya k...more
Kirsten
Definitely a great Hellblazer collection. The main story arc, "Freezes Over," is a neat, self-contained story about a group of travellers snowed in at a roadhouse -- including, of course, our buddy Constantine. I don't know if it's quite what I mean, but I kept thinking that it was kind of like if the Coen brothers ("Fargo") did John Constantine. It's just a cool story, very neatly done, where everything is not what it seems.
"Lapdogs and Englishmen" is both hilarious and unsettling. We get treat...more
Jaimie
It looks like Constantine has taken up the reins of justice, and is working at righting some wrongs in this collection. The question is: whose wrongs is he righting? They don't seem to be his own (for once), but I doubt that the shady guy he met in the bar is really pulling the strings. But why would Constantine bother do to what he's told? He must owe someone big time, because this is totally out of character for him. Hopefully they explain everything at some point in the next set of comics.
Patricia
As I have said before, I am not a fan of graphic novels. However, I rather enjoyed this one. The artwork was not as dark or campy as some others I have seen and between chapters the artist provides a more lifelike drawing of the characters. The book contained three stories, the second of which I enjoyed very much. I would read others in this series.
Barrett  Dylan Brown
The first story, "The Iceman Cometh" is beautiful; pure Constantine psychological thriller. The art is a bit Neuvo for my tastes, but it's pulled off well. I had to actually read this one a few times to get all the subtle nuances, very nice. The second story is also damn good Constantine, art more to my liking, and a very smart story.
Boy Chris
Everything came together in this collection. Constantine, when done correctly, is that perfect scary, charismatic bastard of an antihero that warms the cockles of black hearts the world over.
Kathryn
Azzarello's writing just seems off half the time and I do not care for his endings. I think he tries too hard to impress.
Tyler
This feels like the first collection of Azzarello's run that feels really true to the character.
D_Marx
My favorite of his stories. A little touch of panic, lore, and murder.
Gloriavirtutisumbra
Frusin's art is really impressive.
Matt
More crime stories with magic. :)
Zack360
Zack360 marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Mell
Mell added it
Sep 08, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Couchbeef
Couchbeef marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
  • Hellblazer: Reasons to Be Cheerful
  • Hellblazer: Setting Sun
  • Hellblazer: Damnation's Flame
  • Hellblazer: The Laughing Magician
  • Hellblazer: The Family Man
  • Hellblazer: Hooked
  • Hellblazer: The Red Right Hand
Brian Azzarello (born in Cleveland, Ohio) is an American comic book writer. He came to prominence with 100 Bullets, published by DC Comics' mature-audience imprint Vertigo. He and Argentine artist Eduardo Risso, with whom Azzarello first worked on Jonny Double, won the 2001 Eisner Award for Best Serialized Story for 100 Bullets #15–18: "Hang Up on the Hang Low".

Azzarello has written for Batman ("B...more
More about Brian Azzarello...
Joker 100 Bullets, Vol. 1: First Shot, Last Call Wonder Woman, Vol. 1: Blood 100 Bullets, Vol. 2: Split Second Chance 100 Bullets, Vol. 3: Hang Up on the Hang Low