Start by marking “Hellblazer: Freezes Over” as Want to Read:
Hellblazer: Freezes Over

Hellblazer: Freezes Over (Hellblazer Original TPB #17)

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,433 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Written by Brian Azzarello; ART by Marcelo Frusin, Guy Davis, and Steve Dillon; COVER by Tim Bradstreet In stores May 14. Reprinting issues #157-163 of the series, HELLBLAZER: FREEZES OVER collects the ...Freezes Over storyline illustrated by Marcelo Frusin (HELLBLAZER: GOOD INTENTIONS) as well as the one-shot ...And Buried? illustrated by Steve Dillon (PREACHER) and the 2 ...more
Published June 1st 2003 by Vertigo

To ask other readers questions about Hellblazer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hellblazer

Paul Mirek
John Constantine's story has always been draped in noir trappings, but Azzarello takes the hardboiled elements further than most. On the surface, the American setting and underworld focus of his run invite lazy comparisons to 100 Bullets. However, it turns out Azzarello's no slouch at this horror thing, either. In this volume, he delivers a trio of tales that each reveal a different side of John's dark world.

In the opening one-shot (art by Steve Dillon), an overhead conversation sheds light on a
Paul
May 05, 2013 Paul rated it really liked it
I stopped reading and buying the regular Hellblazer comicas with issue 133, the Son of Man storyarc.
Reading theses stories on a monthly basis didn't have all that hold and the interest just sort of faded.

I've recently started buying the trades of the stories that follw and reading them that way.

The stories are much better when being read as a whole.

In Hellbazer: Freezes Over, you've got 3 short stories. All 3 are so full of plot-holes that you could probably fit a VW Bug right thru em. But, ya k
Kirsten
Feb 07, 2008 Kirsten rated it it was amazing
Definitely a great Hellblazer collection. The main story arc, "Freezes Over," is a neat, self-contained story about a group of travellers snowed in at a roadhouse -- including, of course, our buddy Constantine. I don't know if it's quite what I mean, but I kept thinking that it was kind of like if the Coen brothers ("Fargo") did John Constantine. It's just a cool story, very neatly done, where everything is not what it seems.
"Lapdogs and Englishmen" is both hilarious and unsettling. We get treat
M.i.
Jun 07, 2015 M.i. rated it liked it
Azzarello's Constantine is a very creepy guy. He really rubs people the wrong which is fine as that's what makes him stand out in this particular run.

One goes in thinking there's going to be some magic and mysticism, but instead its an analysis of the human nature in the seediest corners of the country.
Lauri
Feb 17, 2016 Lauri rated it really liked it
Jällegi maiteamitmendat korda lugedes tundus oluliselt parem kui esimest. Mõrvamüsteerium/krimithriller lume poolt suletud teeäärses kõrtsis oli hea. Veel parem oli aga "Sandman Mystery Theatre'st" tuttava joonega külalisartisti Guy Davise poolt joonistatud kaheosaline "Lapdogs & Englishmen". Azzarello residentkunstniku Marcello Frusini stiil aga hakkab järjest rohkem pinda käima - eriti see Constantine'le iga lehekülg vähemalt korra joonistatud altkulmu "saatanlik" irve, millega ta justkui ...more
Jaimie
Feb 17, 2013 Jaimie rated it really liked it
It looks like Constantine has taken up the reins of justice, and is working at righting some wrongs in this collection. The question is: whose wrongs is he righting? They don't seem to be his own (for once), but I doubt that the shady guy he met in the bar is really pulling the strings. But why would Constantine bother do to what he's told? He must owe someone big time, because this is totally out of character for him. Hopefully they explain everything at some point in the next set of comics.
Patricia
Mar 14, 2011 Patricia rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
As I have said before, I am not a fan of graphic novels. However, I rather enjoyed this one. The artwork was not as dark or campy as some others I have seen and between chapters the artist provides a more lifelike drawing of the characters. The book contained three stories, the second of which I enjoyed very much. I would read others in this series.
Dr. Barrett  Dylan Brown, Phd
Sep 30, 2009 Dr. Barrett Dylan Brown, Phd rated it really liked it
Shelves: comix
The first story, "The Iceman Cometh" is beautiful; pure Constantine psychological thriller. The art is a bit Neuvo for my tastes, but it's pulled off well. I had to actually read this one a few times to get all the subtle nuances, very nice. The second story is also damn good Constantine, art more to my liking, and a very smart story.
Boy Chris
May 30, 2010 Boy Chris rated it really liked it
Everything came together in this collection. Constantine, when done correctly, is that perfect scary, charismatic bastard of an antihero that warms the cockles of black hearts the world over.
Kathryn
Aug 24, 2009 Kathryn rated it liked it
Azzarello's writing just seems off half the time and I do not care for his endings. I think he tries too hard to impress.
Tyler
Jul 13, 2010 Tyler rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
This feels like the first collection of Azzarello's run that feels really true to the character.
D_Marx
Nov 01, 2013 D_Marx rated it it was amazing
My favorite of his stories. A little touch of panic, lore, and murder.
Spot
Dec 02, 2014 Spot rated it it was amazing
story is good, but personally i like the art in this one.
LemontreeLime
Jun 13, 2011 LemontreeLime rated it liked it
Frusin's art is really impressive.
Matt
Nov 23, 2012 Matt rated it really liked it
More crime stories with magic. :)
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2016
Dustan C.
Dustan C. rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2016
John West
John West marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Macacoteste
Macacoteste marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Deborah Magnani
Deborah Magnani rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2016
Jamie Ashworth
Jamie Ashworth marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Milton
Milton marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Natalie Trusner
Natalie Trusner marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Georgia Parry
Georgia Parry rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2016
Rosita
Rosita rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2016
Kaleido Books
Kaleido Books rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2016
Richard Topp
Richard Topp marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
  • Hellblazer: Damnation's Flame
  • Hellblazer: Rare Cuts
  • Hellblazer: The Laughing Magician
  • Hellblazer: India
Brian Azzarello (born in Cleveland, Ohio) is an American comic book writer. He came to prominence with 100 Bullets, published by DC Comics' mature-audience imprint Vertigo. He and Argentine artist Eduardo Risso, with whom Azzarello first worked on Jonny Double, won the 2001 Eisner Award for Best Serialized Story for 100 Bullets #15–18: "Hang Up on the Hang Low".

Azzarello has written for Batman ("B
More about Brian Azzarello...

Hellblazer Original TPB (1 - 10 of 40 books)
  • Hellblazer: Original Sins