Start by marking “All-American Girl (All-American Girl, #1)” as Want to Read:
All-American Girl (All-American Girl, #1)

All-American Girl (All-American Girl #1)

3.73  ·  Rating Details ·  56,759 Ratings  ·  1,771 Reviews
Top Ten Reasons Samantha Madison is in Deep Trouble

10. Her big sister is the most popular girl in school

9. Her little sister is a certified genius

8. She's in love with her big sister's boyfriend

7. She got caught selling celebrity portraits in school

6. And now she's being forced to take art classes

5. She's just saved the president of the United States from an assassination
Published July 22nd 2003 by HarperTrophy (first published June 7th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about All-American Girl, please sign up.

Jamie Sam is not a Mary Sue at all. She's a genuine character who makes mistakes. She lets foolish first impressions guide her too often, but she's all…moreSam is not a Mary Sue at all. She's a genuine character who makes mistakes. She lets foolish first impressions guide her too often, but she's all around relatable and funny. She saves the president and all she cares about is her parents not finding out that she skipped art class.(less)

Rebecca
Dec 27, 2013 Rebecca rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-ya
This is a good book if you're just looking for a quick read on vacation or a weekend. Not too intellectually stimulating but, like many of Meg Cabot's books, a good day dream.
Caitlin Brown
Top Ten Reasons WHY You Should Read This Book:

10. It's by Meg Cabot, the brilliant woman behind The Mediator Series, The Princess Diaries and other stuffish.

9. It's a nice break from all those SUPER SERIOUS SMART BOOKS you read and, let's face it, you need a break and some good chick lit. I mean, it's great to constantly improve your mind with salad and oatmeal, but in-between a good candy bar is tasty.

8. The narrator is awesome, awkward and a total dork.

7. It's completely unbelievable and yet
ellemaddy
Aug 17, 2016 ellemaddy rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I read it when I was in the fifth grade and when I reread it now it brings back so many old memories, good and bad.

I remember back in fifth grade I had like the biggest crush on these 2 guys who shall remain nameless and I just wouldn't shut up about it. Honestly I'm a bit shocked I got through the fifth grade without getting strangled by my friends at least once. I talked about these 2 guys so much that I started code naming them Jack and David from the character in All-Ameri
Samantha is caught selling celebrity portraits at school and so her mother decides that maybe she needs a creative outlet and signs her up for art classes. Samantha does not want to take art classes, she doesn't think that they would be any use to her, and when she runs it by her older sister's boyfriend, Jack (whom she's secretly in love with) he totally agrees with her. Samantha decides to just go to the first class and then she'll ditch it, but she finds that it is actually kind of ...more
Steph Su
Apr 05, 2013 Steph Su rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, favorites-2
Sophomore Samantha Madison is redheaded, a middle child, left-handed, and, in her opinion, one of the only teenage girls left who have not succumbed to the soul-sucking fashion trends of modern-day society. She's a wannabe radical: she dyed her wardrobe black, and she's in love with her popular older sister Lucy's boyfriend Jack, who's as "radical" as they get.

Sam thinks it's the end of her already lousy world when, as a punishment for bad grades, her parents send her to art lessons at Susan Bo
Qian
May 29, 2008 Qian rated it really liked it
Samantha Madison was an ordinary teenager who has a great talent for drawing, but she has a weird habit is that she only wears black no matter what. Comparing to her two extraordinary sisters she is always the one who is being left out and forgot, but I guess she was satisfied with her life now. Samantha’s older sister named Lucy and she is one of the most beautiful and popular girl in her high school. Her younger sister is also remarkable because she is a genius who attend some special school ...more
Howdy YAL
Mar 29, 2015 Howdy YAL rated it really liked it
I think this book is very interesting to look to from a political perspective. Well, like political time capsule perspective. The early 2000’s were a very different world, politically, for America and it shows in here. Ultra patriotism, right wing administration, pop culture references.

That is purely a Meg Cabot thing. Not a political thing. But still,interesting to see how things have changed in ten years. But I’m not going to bore you with that.

I really did like this book, even after all this
Muse-ic
Jan 30, 2016 Muse-ic rated it liked it
3.5
Mediocre.
Fun. Frustrating.
Also, I've noticed that most of Meg Cabot's teenage female protagonists are very nearly the same. Sure they look different, but they all asks the same questions, they all have the same tone, most of them are outcasts, and the boys they fall in love with are the boys that correspond to each other in the books.
Another thing they all have in common? They're all insufferably ANNOYING! Like Please Kill me, I can't take any more of this annoying.

Samantha Madison sees a gu
Bipasha{is eviscerated by fiction}
Mar 06, 2014 Bipasha{is eviscerated by fiction} rated it really liked it
Recommended to Bipasha{is eviscerated by fiction} by: Especially people who look down upon Chick Lit
3.5 All American Stars. I know, i know, I couldn't get any more obvious and cheeky in the prefixes. My Math Exams tend to do that.

TOP TEN REASONS
Samantha Madison
IS IN DEEP SHIT
(okay, fine, I know every second reviewer has reviewed this way, but I want to, and will anyway...:P)

10. Her big sister is the most popular girl in school
9. Her little sister is a certified genius
8. She's in love with her big sister's boyfriend
7. She got caught selling celebrity portraits in school
6. And now she's bein
Deyse
Review originally posted here.

I've lost count on how many times I read this book, All-American Girl is one of my favorite Cabot's books and when I was younger a yearly re-read was obligatory. As usual with books/movies that are favorites of mine on the past, upon a re-read things change, some things that I remembered remained the same and others not so much.

The thing that most changed for me was the way Samantha voice sounded, she seemed a lot more judgmental and immature on the way she faced th
Nancy
The name of this book is called "The all american girl" by Meg Cabot. She saved the presidents life and she thinks that her life is so horrible!She gets a feeling that the presidents son. shes taking all of these art lessons and she doesn't like any bit of her life. Everything's just so crazy for her at school and at home. Her sister is hot according to everyone and she knows every bit about relationships and everything in between. Her younger sister is talented and she just don't think that ...more
Kayla Hamilton
May 04, 2008 Kayla Hamilton rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: neone who likes 2 read teen romance novels
Recommended to Kayla by: myself. I bought it. Then after a yr or so of buying it, I got b
This was my 1st romance novel that I ever read.
It's really good, and really sweet.
I love ne kind of teen romance novel.

If U like to trick things up a lil' bit, wat u can do is when your reading a teen love story, make/Imagine the main girlfriend, or girl as u, and the boyfriend, or the guy love interest, as someone u like. Like a boyfriend, or even a singer or actor like I do :).

But I LOVE this book.
I'm writing my own teen novel write now, and I made the guy's name David, just like the guy's nam
Emily Snyder
Aug 22, 2016 Emily Snyder rated it really liked it
Oh man, I was SO obsessed with this book when I first read it. I remember thinking about it for a while after, which meant a lot to me at the time. It's been years since I've read it again, but I may have to now!
Javeria
((:: This makes me so happy.
Trin
Sep 15, 2008 Trin rated it it was ok
I was really hoping to take the political edge off with this humorous story of an average American teen who saves the president’s life and then has a fluffy romance with his son. It didn’t quite work. First, I couldn’t stop wishing that the book were more political—that Sam, the teenage heroine, would have stronger beliefs—there’s a short bit where she disagrees with the administration about the judging of an art contest, but that’s about it. Wouldn’t it be interesting to read about a teenager w ...more
Nikoleta
Dec 14, 2009 Nikoleta rated it it was amazing
Shelves: grade-8-ir-book
All- American Girl is about Sam, who is a really good artist but gets a bad grade in German and her mom sends her to art classes for her punishment. There Sam meets David who tells her that she has really cute boots and that staples to her mind. Although she is in love with her sister's boyfriend. The second time she is supposed to go to art class she decides that she wants to skip it. Just before she gets picked up Sam sees the President and this guy that wants to shoot him. Somehow Sam jumps ...more
Fafa's Book Corner
Aug 18, 2015 Fafa's Book Corner rated it did not like it
Mary
Oct 11, 2016 Mary rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult, 2000s
This was my first Meg Cabot book. The writing could have been worse, but I did get a little frustrated with some of her quirks, such as saying, "I went, 'Sure,'" instead of "I said, 'Sure.'" I know people say that out loud, but it should not be written.
This was also the most UNREALISTIC story. And because of that, even little things, like how the little sister received an amazon package on a Sunday (I don't think so. There's no post on Sundays.), really started to bug me.
BUT I had to give it mor
H
Nov 23, 2008 H rated it liked it
This book was so good! It was hilarious, like all of Meg Cabot's books, and there was the usual boy-meets-girl-and-they-eventually-end-up-happily-ever-after element that I seem to find essential. I really liked the plot and the setting, too. Like, how she saves the president's life and is suddenly an international hero or whatever. And it was nice that she didn't let it go to her head, which is something that most authors do to their characters. Sam stayed true to herself and what she believed, ...more
Nadja A.
Lustige Story mit einer symphatischen aber doch manchmal nervenden Hauptcharakterin. (Zu fixiert auf sich selbst!) Und gewisse Top Ten Listen waren ein bisschen langweilig.
Nadja A.
Jun 19, 2016 Nadja A. marked it as partly-read-or-dnf  ·  review of another edition
Ich bin einfach keine ebook-Leserin, ich muss die Seiten fühlen und den Fortschritt physisch sehen können. :)
Carolina

Jul 03, 2015 Miranda Kenneally rated it really liked it
Very funny book.
Yovano N.
Sep 05, 2014 Yovano N. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Samantha Madison yang tinggal di Washington DC, bukanlah anak yang populer. Ia tidak seperti Lucy kakaknya, seorang anggota pemandu sorak yang beken di sekolah. Sam juga tidak sepintar adiknya, Rebecca, yang saking jeniusnya sampai bersekolah di sekolah khusus anak-anak berotak encer. Sam hanyalah si tengah yang suka sekali menggambar selebritis (satu-satunya keahliannya), memiliki rambut merah berantakan dan berwajah penuh bintik-bintik. Dan, teman makan siangnya adalah anak-anak yang tidak ...more
Alexis
Oct 12, 2016 Alexis added it
good relatiopnship
Sandra Lopez
Mar 18, 2012 Sandra Lopez rated it it was ok
My thoughts: When I first saw the name “Meg Cabot” on the cover of All-American Girl, I had no idea that she was the author of The Princess Diaries—a story that I had seen on screen and never read in paperback.

Samantha Madison was the middle child stuck between her older sister’s effervescent popularity and her younger sister’s precocious intelligence. Now, I was never a middle child, but I do know how much the middle sucks, whether that middle is a line at the DMV or a seat on an airplane. Bein
Sarina
Nov 23, 2014 Sarina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young YA readers
I'm going to (attempt to) make this review short and sweet. After all, I have a NaNoWriMo novel to pen. :)

I had quite a few issues with this book. First off, the whole "Jack being Sam's soul mate" thing. It was so annoying. Cabot really didn't sell it to me, for one thing, and as a result it felt super forced. Secondly, it was weird...and annoying. I got tired of reading about Sam's "love" for Jack. So dumb.

Secondly, the whole book was too far-fetched for me. I don't think that saving the life o
Namratha
Nov 29, 2009 Namratha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour, ya-lit
Top Five Reasons why Samantha Madison’s life isn’t a bowful of cherries:

#5 : Sam lives in Washington DC, a hop-skip-and jump away from the White House (ergo, perennial traffic jams caused by the never-ending presidential motorcades)

#4 : Sam is the middle-child, stuck between the perky-cheerleading elder sister Lucy and girl-genius-going-to-special-school younger sister Rebecca (ergo, she is the source of constant disappointment to her parents, teachers and the rest of her school-mates)

#3 : Sam’s
Mary
Apr 30, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it

First, I am going to analyze the title with you. This is going to become something regular because titles are an important part of writign. They have to catch your eye from a book-shelf or a book list. So they must be grabbing (if you will.) Titles are just as important as the content that you write, so this is a very important subject.

All American Girl. Hmmmmmmmmm................?????????????????

For this book, the story is about an American highschool girl. (Named Samantha Madison) Huh, I think
Madison Mega-Mara...: #44 - All American Girl 1 2 Feb 29, 2016 12:17PM
lots of fun 11 53 Jan 18, 2016 03:19PM
sis2019: Evelyn Chua Informal Review 2 2 5 Jan 13, 2016 10:22PM
A Million More Pages: YA BR - All American Girl (All American Girl #1) - Nov 15 10 12 Dec 03, 2015 08:58AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: All american girl by Meg Cabot --> Starting 14th March 2015 26 26 Mar 17, 2015 04:57AM
Was it obvious that Sam was going to fall in love with David 3 23 Nov 17, 2014 08:58PM
Meg Cabot Fan Club: All-American Girl 1 17 May 31, 2013 12:21PM
  • Caribbean Cruising
  • The Princess & the Pauper
  • Spin Control (Royally Jacked, #2)
  • Paparazzi Princess (Secrets of My Hollywood Life, #4)
  • Kitty Kitty (Bad Kitty, #2)
  • How Not to Spend Your Senior Year
  • Confessions of a Teen Nanny
  • Love Undercover (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • Mates, Dates, and Sole Survivors (Mates, Dates, #5)
  • Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen (Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen, #1)
  • Frogs & French Kisses (Magic in Manhattan, #2)
  • Duelling Princes
  • Some Like It Hot (A-List, #6)
  • Then He Ate My Boy Entrancers (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #6)

More about Meg Cabot...

All-American Girl (2 books)
  • Ready or Not (All-American Girl, #2)

“Being brave is when you have to do something because you know it is right, but at the same time, you are afraid to do it, because it might hurt or whatever. But you do it anyway.” 810 likes
“My heart is broken.
It really is. All the signs are there. I can't sleep- not even burgers. Every time the phone rings, my pulse leaps... But it's never for me, it's never him.”
250 likes