Start by marking “One out of Five Items that Adeline Stein Left on the Bus on the Way to the Zoo” as Want to Read:
One out of Five Items that Adeline Stein Left on the Bus on the Way to the Zoo

One out of Five Items that Adeline Stein Left on the Bus on the Way to the Zoo

Adeline Stein left her journal on the bus, and the person who found it published it without permission. This book is that journal. A dark comedy, it follows her misadventures as she finds love, loses her job, writes bird poetry, stages fake fights in costume, and gets into a real fight or two.
Published February 12th 2013

Be the first to ask a question about One out of Five Items that Adeline Stein Left on the Bus on the Way to the Zoo

Jul 15, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
I am probably leaning more towards a 3 than a 4, but that's to do with my personal taste for some parts of the book, and not for lack of writing skill or a good story. As I don't believe the book deserves the current 3.5 rating I'm going to give it a 4 for the parts that I did like, which was most of it.

What I didn't like was the poetry (I'm not big on poetry in general, so take that with a grain of salt), and any sections where she is for instance re-imagining the muses/old gods/genders in fict
Lisa Senftleben
Apr 28, 2016 Lisa Senftleben rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Adeline Stein is silly, horrid, wonderful, crazy, brave, cowardly, and so much else. She held nothing back while writing this journal. It was captivating, fun (very fun!), and exciting. It's beautiful and messy. It's Adeline Stein. I don't usually like stories set in the here-and-now, but this... I imbibed it. Its witty, silly, no-BS style was quite refreshing.
I'll share with you all what I shared with the author herself, because it's the most honest and accurate way to describe how I felt about
Katherine Robb
Oct 26, 2014 Katherine Robb rated it it was amazing
Turn to any page/entry in this journal and you will find something for everyone to enjoy. The language, the humor (especially the humor, in all its surreal and daring, perspective-changing wonder!), the poetry, the overarching story, the realness that you feel in unrequited love and complicated, real people. A good book reminds me of my humanity, and tugs at my empathy-strings, and this does that. <3
Susan Smith
Sep 26, 2014 Susan Smith rated it liked it
I read this book after meeting the author recently. It's a super fast read. So much of it is "stream of consciousness" writing -- but it's a journal, so I'd expect nothing less. Yet, there's tremendous continuity of thought as well. The book accurately, often comically, demonstrates the angst-filled, insecure life of many secure teen/20 somethings. Well done!
Springer
Dec 31, 2015 Springer rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I found myself wishing I could hang out with the main character. The journal format was perfect for capturing the main character's quirkiness. Easy to read and funny.
Jerilyn K. Bitney
Jun 25, 2015 Jerilyn K. Bitney rated it did not like it
It was one of the few books which I have skimmed through to reach to the end, not because I wanted to see what happened, but because I was hoping that it would improve. It didn't.
James Wroblewski
James Wroblewski rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2015
Alan
Alan rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2014
Connie Lee
Connie Lee rated it liked it
May 31, 2015
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2015
Kristine
Kristine rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2015
Ken Doherty
Ken Doherty rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2014
Carrie Brown
Carrie Brown rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2015
Biliwiz
Jun 12, 2015 Biliwiz rated it did not like it
Shelves: binned
Just not my type of book - maybe I'm just too old!
Sheuringd1988
Sheuringd1988 rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2016
Melody
Melody marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Beverly
Beverly marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Connie Anderson
Connie Anderson marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Sandy
Sandy marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Cynthia L. Norris
Cynthia L. Norris is currently reading it
May 30, 2015
Mary Jones
Mary Jones marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Thomas Jacobs
Thomas Jacobs is currently reading it
Jun 21, 2015
Chris N
Chris N marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Annie Baker
Annie Baker marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Jamie Neville
Jamie Neville marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Joan - xstitchfan
Joan - xstitchfan marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2015
Sheri
Sheri marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Karolyn B. Dorsey
Karolyn B. Dorsey marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016

“Eggs are a really creepy food, if you think about it.  I don't want to eat food that's excreted by a reproductive organ. ” 0 likes