Japan (Traveller's History of Japan)

Japan (Traveller's History)

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  8 reviews
A Traveller's History of Japan not only offers the reader a chronological outline of the nation's development but also provides an invaluable introduction to its language, literature and arts, from kabuki to karaoke. This clearly written history explains how a country embedded in the traditions of Shinto, Shoguns and Samurai has achieved stupendous economic growth and domi...more
Paperback, 4th ed., 292 pages
Published March 1st 2008 by Interlink Publishing Group (first published 1993)

Travis
After wanting to visit Japan for most of my life, I finally made it. Before going I had to pick up a book about Japan, and this one looked pocket-sized enough to go with me. Excellent trip, good book. It was concise and the author made a good effort to keep things balanced. It really did help open my eyes to the country and better appreciate what I was seeing.
Phil
Feb 18, 2009 Phil rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: japan
Consise, straightforward history for someone who wants to know the basics. As with others in the series, not a travel guide, but a good basic read for a traveler who wants the basics on the history behind the culture they'll see when they travel there.
Claire
Brilliant. A great complement to my Introduction to Japan subject at University, this book touches on many topics. Starting from pre-history and working through to about 2001. Very readable and presented in a way that the information is easier to swallow (in bite size chunks). The language used and the explanation is detailed but easy, so I would definitely recommend this to anyone doing a Japanese history course or wanting to start out with the subject.
Maureen
I think I've read some of the other books in this series. They're good for topics you know very little to nothing about because a book is nicer to read than Wikipedia; however, the content is not any deeper and is more likely to gloss over any controversy.
Rebecca
Avand in vedere ca Japonia e tara mea preferata,m-am gandit sa aleg si aceasta carte.Nu m-a dezamagit deloc,ba inca mi-a oferit informatii si noutati deosebite despre "Tara Soarelui Rasare"
Spring
Not as helpful as the recommendations on the back of the book led me to believe.

Reads like your high school history textbook. I couldn't even get to the halfway point in this book.
Aneel
Feb 09, 2010 Aneel rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Aneel by: <a href="http://ask.metafilter.com/mefi/24412">Ask MeFi</a>
Japan's history chopped up into bite-sized pieces. An interesting approach to getting familiar with the subject.
James
Read when Shirley and I spent 6 weeks in Sendai.
Adam
Adam is currently reading it
Apr 12, 2014
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Amity Valentin
Amity Valentin marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Narsku
Narsku added it
Feb 17, 2014
Jason Oa
Jason Oa is currently reading it
Feb 02, 2014
hurulaini
hurulaini is currently reading it
Jan 08, 2014
Karan Gupta
Karan Gupta marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2013
TyLean Polley
TyLean Polley marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2013
Henry Sahrman
Henry Sahrman is currently reading it
Jun 13, 2013
Kartikeya
Kartikeya marked it as to-read
May 06, 2013
Malia Tanji
Malia Tanji marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2013
umberto
umberto marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Shakespeare's London on 5 Groats a Day A Traveller's History of London A Traveller's History of Oxford Anne Frank England's Forgotten Past: The Unsung Heroes and Heroines, Valiant Kings, Great Battles and Other Generally Overlooked  Episodes in Our Glorious History