Start by marking “Be Happy or I'll Scream!: My Deranged Quest for the Perfect Husband, Family, and Life” as Want to Read:

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  164 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Be Happy or I'll Scream is for every married woman who has found just the tiniest bit of disconnect between the image of a perfect family in her head-think "The Brady Bunch" or "The Huxtables"-and the evidence in front of her eyes. Instead of darling and compliant rosy-cheeked children and an adorably tolerant husband ready to go along with zany shenanigans, most women are ...more
Published February 6th 2007 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Be Happy or I'll Scream!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Be Happy or I'll Scream!

Perry
Jan 02, 2013 Perry rated it liked it
Yep. Definitely not going to have kids.
Ciara
another book that i have almost no memory of. i have a dim recollection that i expected this to be another mediocre collection of humorous parenting essays, which was fairly accurate, but i was also surprised that it's something of a stunt memoir in that the author gives herself a year to try to craft the perfect happy family life. unfortunately, i don't remember any details about what inspired this quest or what steps she took to accomplish it. all i remember is that there's some story about ta ...more
Emilie
Nov 20, 2009 Emilie rated it it was amazing
I picked this up off the shelving cart at the library, knowing nothing about the author or the book. And I ended up loving it.

It made me laugh out loud and when I appealed to my husband to read a chapter aloud to me while I did the dishes, he laughed so hard that he couldn't read. The anecdotes about her experiences raising her children were so familiar that I really think that Sheri Lynch and I have doppleganger children. It was great to find someone that could tell the stories that many of us
Kim
Feb 08, 2009 Kim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents who want to read about someone else's imperfect life
Another book written by someone well-known whom I've never heard of - I might have enjoyed this better if I already liked the author. As is, this is one of the better pieces of birth control I've ever read - after I think the third time we read about the parents cleaning up vomit, I couldn't believe anyone would ever want to go through this voluntarily. I know that there are rewarding moments to being a parent, they're just not found in this book (except in the last few pages, which seemed hasti ...more
Sabrina Rutter
Nov 01, 2009 Sabrina Rutter rated it it was ok
Shelves: humor
As a mother I could relate to this book in many ways, but at the same time found myself not liking the author to much. In my opinion Sheri is a bit of a stuck-up. She is funny but her corner of the world and mine are very far apart. I beleive it is a waste of money to be teaching your 3 year old to speak with a british slang. Also to teach your 3 year old French makes it obvious that your trying to impress people through your children.
I found myself feeling sorry for her husband alot. Her husban
Tiffany Mclaughlin
Jul 09, 2014 Tiffany Mclaughlin rated it really liked it
This was a very funny and insightful read. I was laughing on nearly every page and was more than a little disappointed when I ran out of pages. I don't know if I regret not having kids or not! I'll definitely be keeping an eye open for more of Sheri's writing.
treehugger
I have a secret crush on Sheri Lynch on her morning radio show - she's brilliant, hilarious, and down to earth about life, her faults, and humanity in general. I've been looking forward to getting my hands on this book for a long time, and Barnes & Nobles had it as a bargain book...AWESOME!

I have to say that she's actually MUCH funnier when she's just talking off the cuff rather than writing. It was the tiniest bit disappointing, although it was cool that I could hear the book being read in
Amy B
Mar 17, 2015 Amy B rated it liked it
Shelves: humor, mommy-stuff
I love Sheri, though I think she's funnier in person (on the radio) than in her books. Still, there were several passages in this book that had me laughing out loud. I could definitely relate to most of this!
Athena Macmillan
A memoir of one woman as she attempts to craft her family into the perfect happy sitcom life, put into witty and sometimes laugh out loud funny essays. Well worth the read.
Kaethe
Jul 08, 2014 Kaethe rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
eh, not so funny to me; deranged is right
Susan Bazzett-griffith
Nothing spectacular or new in this parenting memoir, based on the author's New Years Resolution to try to turn her wacky family into a family more like the ones on 1980s sitcoms; however, the pace is fast, the essays witty and sarcastic, and the author usually likable and affable about her family's flaws. A very fast and easy read- a good book to pick up before bed because a chapter at a time is plenty to amuse and the chapters are not necessarily related enough to need to continue reading as yo ...more
Tessa Campbell
Jun 21, 2012 Tessa Campbell rated it it was amazing
As an avid fan of the Bob & Sheri show, naturally I had to read this book after hearing them discuss it on the radio. Sheri is just as entertaining in her book as she is on the job, and I enjoyed reading it. I don't believe there is a single woman that couldn't relate to some, if not all, of this book as women have to perform a balancing act every day to maintain her business and personal life. This book makes you realize that everyone faces the same core battles and you are not the lone war ...more
Carla
Mar 23, 2016 Carla rated it really liked it
I laughed out loud reading this book. Funny stuff.
Krista
Mar 01, 2009 Krista rated it really liked it
I have to say that this book is quite funny. I'm about half-way through and enjoying myself. I highly recommend it for it's lighthearted, yet honest look at the way mothers tend to set very high goals for themselves and may be better served to just do the best they can.

This lady is hilarious with a wicked sense of humor. I loved the chapter on "Children of the Corn Maze." Recommended reading alongside something more serious for a little comic relief. These chapters stand alone.

Brenda Rasco
Mar 19, 2011 Brenda Rasco rated it liked it
It was funny and I could relate a lot to Sheri and what she was feeling. Most of the things that happened in the book have also happened in my family at one time or another. I thought it was inspirational at the end how she basically said that the key to the perfect family is not what you do, but how you deal with what happens. Although I know that, it was nice to be reminded.
Minda
May 13, 2009 Minda rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book and laughed uncontrollably to the point of tears in almost every chapter. While I was tearing up and reading it on the plane to Napa folks kept asking me what I was reading. This book made me want to start listening to her radio show because if she is even half as funny on her show as she was in this book, I'll be hooked! A must read for moms.
Dorann
Feb 10, 2008 Dorann rated it really liked it
I bought this book during a meet and greet with Sheri and her radio co-host Bob. Both of them were hilarious in person, and Sheri's sense of humor definitely shined through in the book. If you are a frazzled mother I would highly recommend this book as a way to let some frustration out through humor and just and easy, enjoyable read.
Emily
Sep 19, 2008 Emily marked it as to-read
I heart Sheri Lynch so much. She is absolutely hysterical. Her nationally syndicated radio show (The Bob and Sheri show) is based in Charlotte, NC, my old stomping grounds, and I used to listen to them every morning.

She is a fantastic, funny writer -- her first book "Hello my name is mommy" was super.
Jann
May 26, 2013 Jann rated it liked it
This book was written by the radio personality, Sheri Lynch. While I don't listen to her show, I was pleasantly surprised by her writing. She writes about her family and her quest to have the "perfect life". Very funny. A young mother would especially enjoy this book.
Leigh
Jul 09, 2007 Leigh rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, probably one of the best and most honest mommy-memoirs I've come across. The writing itself is a bit scattered and unfocused at times, but then again you could say that just adds to the whole frazzled mom feel of the thing.
Mary
May 20, 2010 Mary rated it it was amazing
I had read this book earlier but I don't think I finished it b/c I only remembered parts! It was a very good book! Very uplifting and funny. Fun!
Lee Ann
Jan 21, 2008 Lee Ann rated it really liked it
Pretty funny--I remember Sheri Lynch on the radio when I lived in Charlotte about 10 years ago. She is a hoot!
Heather
Jan 14, 2009 Heather rated it did not like it
Shelves: mommy-musts
pretty good, however it was kind of frustrating the amount of tantrums and crying that seems to go on
Ann
Aug 26, 2008 Ann rated it it was amazing
If you listen to "The Bob and Sheri Show," you'll think it's funny. If you have kids you'll laugh out loud.
Aug 02, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Hands down, the funniest book on parenting I have EVER read.
Carrieuoregon
Nov 05, 2012 Carrieuoregon rated it really liked it
Very amusing and occasionally hitting close to home (winces).
Christy
Mar 21, 2009 Christy rated it really liked it
pretty funny, in an exhausted mom kinda way
cmeiers
Aug 11, 2010 cmeiers rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Every page, I laugh and laugh, out loud!
Gaurett
Feb 24, 2009 Gaurett rated it liked it
Light funny book about motherhood.
Pat
Sep 07, 2012 Pat rated it really liked it
Pretty funny! Love the radio show.
  • Don't Sleep with a Bubba: Unless Your Eggs Are in Wheelchairs
  • And Nothing But the Truthiness: The Rise (and Further Rise) of Stephen Colbert
  • This Is Ridiculous This Is Amazing: Parenthood in 71 Lists
  • The Potentially Sane Mother's Guide to Raising Young Children: Nearly 100 Activities and Parenting Ideas to Help You Fell Confident and in Control (Mo
  • Knocked Up: Confessions of a Hip Mother-to-be
  • A Second Helping
  • 10 Secrets Wise Parents Know: Tried and True Things You Can Do to Raise Faithful, Confident, Responsible Children
  • 52 Weeks of Fun Family Service
  • Looking for Class: Days and Nights at Oxford and Cambridge
  • Here at The New Yorker
  • Dirty Little Secrets from Otherwise Perfect Moms
  • Best Friends, Occasional Enemies: The Lighter Side of Life as a Mother and Daughter
  • Not a Happy Camper: A Memoir