Start by marking “Be Happy or I'll Scream!: My Deranged Quest for the Perfect Husband, Family, and Life” as Want to Read:

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  139 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Be Happy or I’ll Scream is for every married woman who has found just the tiniest bit of disconnect between the image of a perfect family in her head—think "The Brady Bunch" or "The Huxtables"—and the evidence in front of her eyes. Instead of darling and compliant rosy-cheeked children and an adorably tolerant husband ready to go along with zany shenanigans, most women are ...more
Published February 6th 2007 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Be Happy or I'll Scream!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Be Happy or I'll Scream!

Perry
Yep. Definitely not going to have kids.
Ciara
another book that i have almost no memory of. i have a dim recollection that i expected this to be another mediocre collection of humorous parenting essays, which was fairly accurate, but i was also surprised that it's something of a stunt memoir in that the author gives herself a year to try to craft the perfect happy family life. unfortunately, i don't remember any details about what inspired this quest or what steps she took to accomplish it. all i remember is that there's some story about ta ...more
Emilie
I picked this up off the shelving cart at the library, knowing nothing about the author or the book. And I ended up loving it.

It made me laugh out loud and when I appealed to my husband to read a chapter aloud to me while I did the dishes, he laughed so hard that he couldn't read. The anecdotes about her experiences raising her children were so familiar that I really think that Sheri Lynch and I have doppleganger children. It was great to find someone that could tell the stories that many of us
Kim
Feb 08, 2009 Kim rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents who want to read about someone else's imperfect life
Another book written by someone well-known whom I've never heard of - I might have enjoyed this better if I already liked the author. As is, this is one of the better pieces of birth control I've ever read - after I think the third time we read about the parents cleaning up vomit, I couldn't believe anyone would ever want to go through this voluntarily. I know that there are rewarding moments to being a parent, they're just not found in this book (except in the last few pages, which seemed hasti ...more
*•.♥.•*Sabrina Rutter*•.♥.•*
As a mother I could relate to this book in many ways, but at the same time found myself not liking the author to much. In my opinion Sheri is a bit of a stuck-up. She is funny but her corner of the world and mine are very far apart. I beleive it is a waste of money to be teaching your 3 year old to speak with a british slang. Also to teach your 3 year old French makes it obvious that your trying to impress people through your children.
I found myself feeling sorry for her husband alot. Her husban
Tiffany Mclaughlin
This was a very funny and insightful read. I was laughing on nearly every page and was more than a little disappointed when I ran out of pages. I don't know if I regret not having kids or not! I'll definitely be keeping an eye open for more of Sheri's writing.
treehugger
I have a secret crush on Sheri Lynch on her morning radio show - she's brilliant, hilarious, and down to earth about life, her faults, and humanity in general. I've been looking forward to getting my hands on this book for a long time, and Barnes & Nobles had it as a bargain book...AWESOME!

I have to say that she's actually MUCH funnier when she's just talking off the cuff rather than writing. It was the tiniest bit disappointing, although it was cool that I could hear the book being read in
Athena Macmillan
A memoir of one woman as she attempts to craft her family into the perfect happy sitcom life, put into witty and sometimes laugh out loud funny essays. Well worth the read.
Kaethe
eh, not so funny to me; deranged is right
Tessa Campbell
As an avid fan of the Bob & Sheri show, naturally I had to read this book after hearing them discuss it on the radio. Sheri is just as entertaining in her book as she is on the job, and I enjoyed reading it. I don't believe there is a single woman that couldn't relate to some, if not all, of this book as women have to perform a balancing act every day to maintain her business and personal life. This book makes you realize that everyone faces the same core battles and you are not the lone war ...more
Krista
I have to say that this book is quite funny. I'm about half-way through and enjoying myself. I highly recommend it for it's lighthearted, yet honest look at the way mothers tend to set very high goals for themselves and may be better served to just do the best they can.

This lady is hilarious with a wicked sense of humor. I loved the chapter on "Children of the Corn Maze." Recommended reading alongside something more serious for a little comic relief. These chapters stand alone.

Brenda Rasco
It was funny and I could relate a lot to Sheri and what she was feeling. Most of the things that happened in the book have also happened in my family at one time or another. I thought it was inspirational at the end how she basically said that the key to the perfect family is not what you do, but how you deal with what happens. Although I know that, it was nice to be reminded.
Minda
I absolutely loved this book and laughed uncontrollably to the point of tears in almost every chapter. While I was tearing up and reading it on the plane to Napa folks kept asking me what I was reading. This book made me want to start listening to her radio show because if she is even half as funny on her show as she was in this book, I'll be hooked! A must read for moms.
Dorann
I bought this book during a meet and greet with Sheri and her radio co-host Bob. Both of them were hilarious in person, and Sheri's sense of humor definitely shined through in the book. If you are a frazzled mother I would highly recommend this book as a way to let some frustration out through humor and just and easy, enjoyable read.
Emily
Sep 19, 2008 Emily marked it as to-read
I heart Sheri Lynch so much. She is absolutely hysterical. Her nationally syndicated radio show (The Bob and Sheri show) is based in Charlotte, NC, my old stomping grounds, and I used to listen to them every morning.

She is a fantastic, funny writer -- her first book "Hello my name is mommy" was super.
Jann
This book was written by the radio personality, Sheri Lynch. While I don't listen to her show, I was pleasantly surprised by her writing. She writes about her family and her quest to have the "perfect life". Very funny. A young mother would especially enjoy this book.
Leigh
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, probably one of the best and most honest mommy-memoirs I've come across. The writing itself is a bit scattered and unfocused at times, but then again you could say that just adds to the whole frazzled mom feel of the thing.
Mary
I had read this book earlier but I don't think I finished it b/c I only remembered parts! It was a very good book! Very uplifting and funny. Fun!
Lee Ann
Pretty funny--I remember Sheri Lynch on the radio when I lived in Charlotte about 10 years ago. She is a hoot!
Heather
pretty good, however it was kind of frustrating the amount of tantrums and crying that seems to go on
Ann
If you listen to "The Bob and Sheri Show," you'll think it's funny. If you have kids you'll laugh out loud.
Hands down, the funniest book on parenting I have EVER read.
Carrieuoregon
Very amusing and occasionally hitting close to home (winces).
Christy
pretty funny, in an exhausted mom kinda way
cmeiers
Aug 11, 2010 cmeiers rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Every page, I laugh and laugh, out loud!
Gaurett
Light funny book about motherhood.
Pat
Pretty funny! Love the radio show.
Wendy
Jul 11, 2012 Wendy rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Not as funny as I'd hoped
Robin
Funny life experiences
Jen
So funny and so true...
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Don't Sleep with a Bubba: Unless Your Eggs are in Wheelchairs
  • Because I Said So
  • Daddy Needs a Drink: An Irreverent Look at Parenting from a Dad Who Truly Loves His Kids—Even When They're Driving Him Nuts
  • This Is Ridiculous This Is Amazing: Parenthood in 71 Lists
  • And Nothing But the Truthiness: The Rise (and Further Rise) of Stephen Colbert
  • Dirty Little Secrets from Otherwise Perfect Moms
  • Give It Up!
  • Best Friends, Occasional Enemies: The Lighter Side of Life as a Mother and Daughter
  • Dispatches from a Not-So-Perfect Life: Or How I Learned to Love the House, the Man, the Child
  • Knocked Up: Confessions of a Hip Mother-to-be
  • The Potentially Sane Mother's Guide to Raising Young Children: Nearly 100 Activities and Parenting Ideas to Help You Fell Confident and in Control (Mo
  • Living Simply with Children: A Voluntary Simplicity Guide for Moms, Dads, and Kids Who Want to Reclaim the Bliss of Childhood and the Joy of Parenting
  • Soft-Spoken Parenting: 50 Ways to Not Lose Your Temper With Your Kids
  • Brave Girls: Raising Young Women with Passion and Purpose to Become Powerful Leaders
  • Dracula is a Racist: A Totally Factual Guide to Vampires
  • Bless Your Heart, Tramp: And Other Southern Endearments
  • True Mom Confessions: Real Moms Get Real
  • Naptime Is the New Happy Hour: And Other Ways Toddlers Turn Your Life Upside Down
Hello, My Name Is Mommy: The Dysfunctional Girl's Guide to Having, Loving (and Hopefully Not Screwing Up) a Baby