Start by marking “Philadelphia Chickens (with CD)” as Want to Read:
Philadelphia Chickens (with CD)

Philadelphia Chickens (with CD)

4.14  ·  Rating Details ·  1,256 Ratings  ·  74 Reviews
What an event! What a show! It's catchy and quirky. Tuneful and toe-tapping. Exuberant, unexpected, and utterly endearing. It's what happens when you take America's beloved illustrator and children's author and combine her buoyant genius with some of the most talented people on the stage—presenting Philadelphia Chickens!
Created by Sandra Boynton, Philadelphia Chickens is a
Published January 1st 2002 by Workman Pub (first published June 24th 1904)

To ask other readers questions about Philadelphia Chickens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Philadelphia Chickens

Luann
Jul 05, 2012 Luann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Boynton and Ford really stepped it up for Philadelphia Chickens! This still has the expected "serious silliness" that I enjoyed so much in Rhinoceros Tap: 15 Seriously Silly Songs With CD (Audio) , but they somehow brought it to an even higher level. As I listened to the songs, nearly each one immediately inspired ideas for how it could be used in a classroom, library, or home setting. What a fun, fun book of songs!

Some favorites, if I were forced to pick just a few, are: "Cows" (I can see
Jaz
Sep 22, 2008 Jaz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone with a sense of whimsy
Recommended to Jaz by: Candace
Kids? This is supposed to be for kids? I mean, okay, my kids like it, too, but this is mine. "Ooh, belly button, you're oh-so fine; ooh, belly button, I'm so happy you're mine." Hey, and it's a good message, too.

Philadelphia Chickens makes me grin and bounce and sing along and dance. The world needs more of that.
Melissa
Apr 06, 2008 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has some of the cutest kids songs I've ever heard. I especially love "Snoozing," and "Bob." My kids and I listen to this CD all the time and follow along with the book.
Kaylee
Dec 02, 2013 Kaylee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Philadelphia Chickens is a great children’s book, both for reading and listening to at home as well as in the classroom. The illustrations are hilarious and very colorful; drawing the reader into the illustration before the song begins, then singing the song that goes perfectly along with each illustration. Since I've spent a lot of time in different classrooms, I can imagine kids jumping around and singing these songs, as I wanted to get up and dance to the songs myself! I wasn't very crazy ove ...more
Heather
A work of genius. And very ear wormy. Last weekend, I neglected to notice (let alone eavesdrop on) the Human Drama that was taking place at the next table over because I was too busy singing "Pig Island." Brian had to point it out to me later.

These songs are a bit of an inside joke -- still fun if you don't get the joke and a riot if you do. At 2 1/2 Paul doesn't get the joke, but he does like cows and there's a song about cows so he's on board. And even without the CD, the songbook still works
Emily
Mar 30, 2010 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These songs are too clever for words. So I'll just say that my kids gobbled them up immediately and had them memorized the week after my brother gave us this book and CD for Christmas. Where has this been all of my children's lives? Of the 19 songs, I skip over number 2 (the sultry-voiced vocalist kind of annoys me) and adore the rest. I actually put the CD in myself on occasion--it's really adult music disguised as kids' songs (in the spirit of the Boynton board books themselves).

If you alread
Dawn Siemer
Oct 18, 2013 Dawn Siemer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh My God. If you have kids, you *must* get this book. Copy the CD, so you have a backup. Rip the CD, so you have all the music on your mp3 player for the car. It is *that* awesome.

If you don't have kids, but you like to play a musical instrument but aren't very good at it, you should still get this book. It has the music to all the songs, simple enough to play with one hand on a toy piano.

If you are a parent, you're probably tired of the usual kid music, over and over. This is one you won't ge
Arolyn
Nov 13, 2008 Arolyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This comes with a CD, which is great for word recognition. The repetition in the songs helps our son to see the word and hear it over and over. I like this version of rote learning. It makes the practice fun, and it is easier to get him to follow along if the material is wacky and fun. If your child has a short attention span, this one might not work for more than 1-2 stories at a time. I am constantly looking for reading aids so that our son will be able to listen on his own, and find his own c ...more
Charleen
Jul 28, 2014 Charleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to know whether to give it a five (my kids LOVE THIS!) or a 4, because after 3-4 months of constant recitation, I am perhaps tiring a bit... Boynton takes her characteristic mesh of kid-humour, and kid-perspective blended with nostalgic-style arrangements of surprising musical quality... Many long car trips have been made shorter because of this cd. Some classics - the celtic style "chocolate chip cookie" song, modeled after a lost-love genre. "Busy Busy Busy" and "Cows" as well as the ...more
Lisa
Jan 26, 2012 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great album and book! Parents and kids will enjoy reading the book and listening to the music. My niece and nephew loved these songs when they were as young as two, and I love listening to them on my own (I'm in my thirties). These are songs that stick in my head and make me smile!

(Just a note: I don't think Philadelphia Chickens is quite as good as Dog Train. Philadelphia Chickens is great. But Dog Train is brilliant. So if you like Philadelphia Chickens, you should definitely get Dog Train! An
Karetchko
Aug 06, 2007 Karetchko added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: snuggle puppies and fans of cows and pigs
Once upon a time, I came home from work with a weird message on my answering machine...a little song called Snuggle Puppy. I thought my husband/snugglepuppy Adam put it there. He knew nothing about it. A few days later, the message was there again.

Through the joy of *69, I figured out that my sister had recorded the message. She told me about this book/CD combination, I went out and bought it, and I've bought it for lots of people since then.

The songs are catchy and funny, and there's sheet mus
Dolly
Jun 28, 2008 Dolly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents
Great music and fun pictures - we have listened to this CD so much we know all of the songs by heart. We put the CD in our oldest daughter's CD alarm clock and it plays for us every evening.

December 2015 update: We purchased this book for our niece for Christmas during her visit with my brother-in-law just before Christmas. We listened to the CD every night during her visit and enjoyed dancing and singing along with the music. It's been a few years since we listened to it, but we still remember
Chelsea Couillard-Smith
Hilarious book and accompanying CD with songs based on some of Boynton's classic board books and sung by everyone from Meryl Streep to Kevin Kline. The theme is a musical revue - my personal favorites are "Faraway Cookies," a love song sung to those cookies so "high on the shelf" and just out of reach, and "Belly Button," complemented by images of a roly poly hippo happily admiring his beloved navel. Share this with the silly song lovers in your life.
LaSchelle
Feb 22, 2008 LaSchelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to LaSchelle by: Kohl's Kids Kare Reading Program
Shelves: children, audio, own
Listened to while driving from Canada to California with my nephews (10, 9, 7 and 1) and my sister. Then we played it all summer long when I babysat and drove their car. We loved to sing along. Everyone had a favorite--the one year old liked to listen to "Bob" over and over. The older boys love to sign the "Intermission Song" They decided that the "Busy Song" was written to describe my life (yes, they probably aren't too far from the truth.)

Fun for the whole family.
Karen
Jul 28, 2013 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love good music, funny songs and Sandra Boynton, so, of course, I love this book and CD. Which is for all ages except 43. :) My favorite group on the CD has got to be the Bacon Brothers because they have that Brian Setzer swing-thing going on. Also, if you ever wanted to hear Kevin Kline sing, this would be your chance.

The lyrics (and therefore the written text) are perfectly ridiculous, with emphasis on the perfect. And Sandra Boynton's illustrations match, again perfectly.
Angey Mahmoud
This book is so fun for younger kids. It has a lot of songs. The songs are so fun and funny. This book introduces kids to all types of music, from blues to jazz to country to everything. Teachers can help the students memories it then they can perform couple songs in front of their parents. This book has great music and fun pictures that keep the kids so engaging.
Britta Koepf
Mar 08, 2011 Britta Koepf rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My mother bought a copy for my sister (I feel I must note that she was in college at the time) and I decided I needed a copy. One of the best children's book (or children's CD) out there. The songs are so very clever and silly they always make me smile. The CD great to listen and dance to with children and/or the book can be read for story time.
Mommywest
Feb 21, 2012 Mommywest rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sandra Boynton is a very talented and funny author and illustrator, and, as I discovered a few years ago, a talented songwriter as well. Her songs are very silly, but also well-written and delightful to listen to and sing along with. One of her songs, Snuggle Puppy, is also a cute little board book.
Jessica
Jul 12, 2007 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
This is one of the greatest coups de theatre ever. Children's author/Yala drama alum Sandra Boynton has written a faux musical that is brilliant from start to finish, covering a range of musical theater genres. Plus, with a little help from her famous friends, the recording of the songs is at the top of my Original Cast Recording list.
Sep 25, 2007 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
not our favorite by any means. maybe we just haven't figured out how to use it, but it seems as though I've found a music cd in place of a book I can actually read with my kids. the book itself is just a songbook - no story involved. my kids like the music okay, but even that's not their favorite. kind of a disappointment at our house.
Kathryn
Sep 13, 2012 Kathryn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
I'll start out saying that I love Sandra Boynton's books, and I loved the idea of hearing the songs to music, but I was very disappointed in the cd that accompanies the book. I found the music way too slow. The books are so cute and upbeat, the music needed to be also.
There's a note on the front cover saying "for all ages, except 43." Haha ... Guess that must be why I do not like it.
Christine
Jan 08, 2013 Christine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: families with young children
Total fun!

This book continues to be one of our family favorites. The fact that it comes with a CD filled with the adorable music sung by well known actors/singers makes it all the more enjoyable and sometimes just down right amusing.

We are Boynton fans in our home.

Busy, Busy, Busy sung by Kevin Kline in a Gilbert & Sullivan style is my favorite.
Jeff Zell
This is a great way to pass a rainy day! This brings on a great variation on the chicken dance. The texts to the songs are in the book. The illustrations show the chickens and other animals with human like qualities doing human like things such as dancing, talking on the phone, looking longly at the cookie jar up high.
Mary
Apr 11, 2013 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
These are the songs and books I want my kids to remember when they look back on their childhood. They are so charming. There really is nothing else like a Sandra Boynton book. Adding fabulous music to the mix just pushes this book right to the top of the thousands of children's books or songs that you will encounter.
Emerson and Theodore
We are currently listening to this cd in our car. It's 5star musical quality-- sounds like and I think is in fact broadway production quality. He's good for a few songs. The he requests people by gorillaz
Laura5
Aug 09, 2011 Laura5 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We have loved Snuggle Puppy (included) by Boynton for a long time. Just found a copy of this at the local used book store.
The Bud loves listening and following along with the book.

Listen to the songs on her website: http://www.sandraboynton.com/sboynton...
T Crockett
The kids and I really enjoyed the CD, but somehow seeing pictures of what they were hearing never really interested them. I think I'll remind them of it now that at least one is beginning to read and see if that makes it of interest.
Stacy
Sep 05, 2016 Stacy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Alyssa
Mar 15, 2008 Alyssa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The five star rating is from Zoe. I, on the other hand, occasionally feel like screaming when I hear the opening of the first song (Cows. We're remarkable cows.). Overall, though, Philadelphia Chickens is pretty entertaining.
Cathy
Apr 07, 2009 Cathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I used this book with my preschoolers and they couldn't get enough of it!!! They were singing, dancing, and asking for more. The pictures are engaging, the songs are of high quality and it's one of the few music/books that I enjoyed along with the kids.
  • Baby Faces
  • My Very First Mother Goose
  • Do Princesses Really Kiss Frogs?
  • Wiggle
  • Jump, Frog, Jump!
  • Baa Baa Black Sheep
  • Maisy's Bedtime
  • Wag!
  • Just a Little Critter Collection (Little Critter)
  • Lost in the Woods
  • Once Upon a Cool Motorcycle Dude
Sandra Keith Boynton is a popular American humorist, songwriter, children's author and illustrator. Boynton has written and illustrated more than forty books for both children and adults, as well as over four thousand greeting cards, and four music albums. Although she does not license her characters to be redrawn or adapted, she has herself designed—for various companies—calendars, wallpaper, bed ...more
More about Sandra Boynton...