Start by marking “I Have Chosen to Stay and Fight” as Want to Read:
I Have Chosen to Stay and Fight

I Have Chosen to Stay and Fight

Comedian and activist Margaret Cho's righteous comic rage finds its targets with pinpoint accuracy and is meant not only to entertain but also to champion the civil liberties and raise awareness for the social injustices that are her impassioned causes-among them freedom of expression; gay rights; racial discrimination; and capital punishment. It is this blend of comedy an ...more
Audio CD, 1 page
Published October 20th 2005 by Penguin Audio (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about I Have Chosen to Stay and Fight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Have Chosen to Stay and Fight

Kara
Jul 05, 2009 Kara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is sucking so far. I am a big fan of Margaret Cho, but because she's FUNNY. This book is anything but. She's angry, and I feel like I'm being scolded or yelled at. I even agree with most of what she's saying, but the tone is incredibly off-putting. I intend to finish it, but this is so far the worst book I've read in a long time.

Updated 7/8 -- I finished it last night, and my opinion didn't change much. If you read some of the other reviews, you'll see that there's a division between peopl
Bry
Apr 25, 2012 Bry rated it did not like it
This was so disappointing on so many levels which made me even more disappointing as Margaret Cho is usually so funny!

I listened to this while on a road trip and was expecting to laugh my ass off at her comical takes on life, reflections on our culture, and anecdotes of her own crazy life. Instead I got a mean spirited, ranty, poorly supported scolding on various reasons on why she hates everything - namely white people, republicans, and men.

Every thing she was angry at was went like this...an
Earl Grey Tea
Oct 29, 2011 Earl Grey Tea rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: opinion, humor
A few times in this book, Margaret Cho asks why she isn't asked her opinion and only white men in business suits get to share their ideas on the news. After reading this book, I have a feeling of why she isn't invited on the news to speak that often. Most of this book was of her spouting off emotional rants that were not backed by an evidence. She was shooting from the gut.

Two of the most obvious display of this lack of refinement in expressing her opinion were of her rant on George W. Bush and
Rachel
Jan 11, 2009 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was pretty hit-or-miss. Even though I am also an ultraliberal, I was annoyed how intolerant Cho is of people with different views. She also contradicts herself at times - for example, at one point she makes the rather extreme statement "If you're not a feminist, you should just kill yourself." But then a few pages later she says how much she loves hip-hop music, and she knows that much of it is horribly violent and mysoginist, but she just doesn't care because it's so wonderful. So the ...more
W.B.
Feb 27, 2008 W.B. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone, people with a sense of humor
She's shrill, she's pissed, she's funny as hell.

Okay, so this might be just a notch above bathroom lit.

It's still a great, fun read and she usually cracks me up about three times a page.

I love her stand up persona....I love how she delivers this indictment of the Bush administration with the conviction of Martin Luther King...

"We need to recognize that a government that would deny a gay man the right to a bridal registry is a fascist state!"

Whitney
Jun 20, 2007 Whitney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
I loved her bit on Ann Coulter. If you read no other part of this book, at least read that part.
Jade
Aug 05, 2012 Jade rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: feminism
I Have Chosen to Stay and Fight is a collection of comedienne Margaret Cho’s blog essays, and boy does that show. Cho is considered to be a powerfully expressive and genuinely funny stand-up comedienne by many, including me, but I feel that this book doesn’t do her that much justice. It feels like a jumbled, confusing collection with very little humour in it, and there isn’t as much ‘oomph’ and power behind Cho’s statements as there is in her shows.

As always, Cho covers issues that absolutely ne
Amanda
Mar 08, 2011 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memiors
I love me some Margaret Cho, but not so much this book. I personally agree with almost everything she says here and enjoy her exercising her mind and voicing her frustrations with being a woman of color. However, I hated how this book was formatted. It's basically a bunch of blog entries made into a book. Also, while I did agree with most of what she has to say, when I did disagree with her I couldn't help but kind of shake my head at her ignorance. Here she is striving and fighting against igno ...more
Teresa
Jun 05, 2015 Teresa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While I found Cho's obvious and railing anger rather refreshing I never quite took to her rambling lay out of stories. There are divisions in the book yes, but the constant topic-jumping made me feel like there just wasn't much effort put into this. It's like a collection of half-baked rants stapled together and this is supposed to be a book? It feels more like a blog, just printed and published as was.

So sorry, but it's a thumbs down from me. There's not much reason for anyone to read this eve
Melanie Biehle
Feb 06, 2009 Melanie Biehle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
Let me start off by saying I LOVE Margaret Cho. I've seen her perform live. I went to her reading and book signing for "I'm the One That I Want" (which I loved). I watched every episode of The Cho Show, either cracking up at Margaret's antics or feeling emotionally moved.

I did not like this book. I was bored by it. I couldn't even finish it. Maybe the topics were just more political than I wanted. But I still heart Margaret Cho and look forward to watching and reading her future work.
January Carroll
Oct 22, 2008 January Carroll rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book and read it twice at work on CD. I was expecting it to be a comedic book because I know she's a stand-up comic, but I was wrong. This book has funny moments, but it mostly has a gloves-off look at life. I loved it. I found myself at my desk a couple of times with tears in my eyes. Everything she said about dieting and bellydance was absolutely right. And in some spots she was the voice of my outrage.
Bert Edens
This book, which is mostly comprised of Cho's blog entries leading up to 2004 or 2005, was just as you would expect from Cho: loud and to the point. And that's a good thing :)

If you like Margaret Cho, it's a must read. If you don't, you should read it anyway. You might just come away with your eyes more opened that before.
Sara
Holy crap she is funny. And smart, and politically aware, and if you tend to run on the liberal side of the spectrum you should read this book. If you don't mind a lot of swearing, which I obviously don't. I disagreed with her a couple of times, but still loved this book.
Dee
Jun 10, 2008 Dee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Written in 2005, Cho writes about racism, sexism, politics, and having the strength to keep fighting.
Olivia
Jun 28, 2007 Olivia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the survival guide to making it through to 2008
Daryl
Nov 17, 2008 Daryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with an open mind
Sometimes, even if you are a comedienne, you have to get angry, get it all out of your system and say exactly what is on your mind...even if its not the usual comedy in your stand up act. Margaret Cho has done that---something we all need to do considering the political climate we have lived under since the hijacking of the White House by Dubya and his cronies. Once Bush # 2 leaves office, this country will be in a horrible state (actually its already in a horrible state!) and all Margaret is do ...more
John G.
Sep 06, 2015 John G. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humorology
I bought about five autobiographical books from comics, Cho, Billy Cyrstal, Roseanne Barr, George Lopez and Kathy Griffin. The Barr ad Lopez books were unreadable, the Billy Crystal book was good, but light-hearted fluff, haven't read the Griffin book yet, but I really enjoyed this book from Cho more than I expected. Some parts were tough getting through, but then she would surprise with some spiritual insights and wisdom. I'm not at all familiar with her stand-up or comedy at all, but I do stan ...more
M.
Oct 28, 2012 M. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, humor
If nothing else, this book makes for a good bathroom read. Cho covers many subjects, and has the uber-liberal stance you'd expect, which I'm mostly good with. She does unveil many issues that our society would just as soon forget and sweep under the rug, which made it more enlightening than I'm used to for a comedian's textual rant. However, she steps into pseudo-scientific "what the bleep" territory at times, which could easily make a rationalist reader uneasy.

On a personal note, I was truly o
Kevin
Aug 29, 2015 Kevin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE UNABRIDGED AUDIOBOOK READ BY MARGARET CHO:

Cho's blistering, funny and articulate follow-up to her 2001 memoir "I'm the One That I Want", is a collection of essays declaring war on sexism, racism, homophobia and apathy. While many of the pieces have appeared on her prolific blog (www.margaretcho.com ), there is a distinct pleasure in hearing Cho articulate them herself.

Fans of the standup comedian's concert films (including Notorious C.H.O. and Assassin ) should be aware that this is not a s
A.
Jul 09, 2011 A. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: queerness, politics
I possibly liked this book for the reason many reviewers disliked it: I thoroughly enjoy a humorous rant and there are plenty of those in there. I haven't seen Margaret Cho perform, nor have read any of her other books so I didn't really have any expectations. I came across it at the library while looking for something else and I enjoy her writings online (and admire her activism) so I decided to give it a shot.

It wasn't terribly heavy reading but that's okay, I need a break from that sometimes.
Mscout
Oct 11, 2011 Mscout rated it really liked it
Shelves: politics
Listened to this on audio, and oddly enough, as Cho is such a terrific live performer, her reading really fell flat. It seemed as though she were reading someone else's work and not her own. As I was listening, I kept thinking to myself "This would really be so much better as a blog..." In the conclusion, she explains that they do actually come from her blog.

I see that some other reviewers really rated this low because they were expecting 6 discs of her stand-up routine. Having read the back of
Renee
Oct 09, 2007 Renee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have always liked Margaret Cho ("I'm the one that I want" was one of her best comedy acts and books. However, I felt this book was too much bitching and raving and not enough humor. Interesting, Margaret who is an extreme left libral (ain't nothin' wrong with that) is very intolerant of anyone who does not share her exact same views (got a big problem with that). If I had to sum this book up in one sentence I felt that Margaret believes "If you don't openly accept your child/neighbor/friend wh ...more
Ashley
Sep 24, 2007 Ashley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfictionprose
There are some real gems in this collection of essays, but there was also a good deal of underdeveloped or rant-like fluff that wasn't particularly interesting to me, even though I agree with most of Cho's politics. My favorite line in the whole collection was about gay marriage and how detractors try to get people all riled up about gay people getting married and living in their neighborhoods, "as if a newly married gay couple would choose to live in a trailer park." Cho has essays here on ever ...more
E
Feb 04, 2008 E rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008-read
i was disappointed by this book but only because i had really really high expectations for it. for some reason, i expected more political analysis but instead got ranting which isn't necessarily a bad thing when it's margaret cho doing it.

overall, the book is more of margaret reflecting on her personal life more than anything else. the part i enjoyed the most was the entry about how her mom drew her a treasure map of where all her jewelery was hidden. oh asian mothers.

i also learned from this
Jensownzoo
Oct 24, 2009 Jensownzoo rated it it was ok
Some good bits interspersed between rantings. Was expecting more from a book read by the author -- less recitation, I suppose, and more conversationalistic style. Do not read/listen to unless you are liberal or have an open mind about such things as most of the ranting is aimed at close-minded conservatives but does not seem to distinguish them from open-minded conservatives at all. This book was culled from the authors blogs, which I assume is why there is so much ranting and less story-telling ...more
Rae
Sep 17, 2015 Rae rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up-on
I've tried to read this book twice. I got it several years ago and made it about halfway through before losing interest and moving on to other books. I recently picked it up again and made it maybe... a fifth of the way through before stopping.

It reads like a series of angry blog rants, and these are topics I agree with her on! I'm super liberal and I like her stand up, but I can't handle reading through this book. It's not funny and it's just stressful to read. I think I'm going to end up givi
Jessica
I am a huge Margaret Cho fan, but this book was the first thing of hers I did not really like. I only got through about half of it. I would have stopped sooner but I had nothing else to read. This book is not particularly funny, and it is very preachy. It is kind of silly its so preachy, because anyone reading her book doesn't need to be told this stuff. Preachin' to the choir Margaret! Love you anyway.
Stacey
Apr 23, 2013 Stacey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Margaret Cho. I do. I've seen her live once, and I'd love to go see her again. How can you (well, I) not love someone who passes on the gospel: Pro-choice does not mean pro-death. This is a book that makes me want to be more of an activist than I am, and it seriously gave me chills. I do take issue with her idea that everyone born of a woman must be a feminist, and that no feminist should ever hate another woman for any reason... But I have this need to share her work with others.
Kate
Mar 25, 2009 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
If you've seen her perform and know how she brings it on the stage, then you should certainly read the book because you'll have this little Cho voice in your head the entire time. It's like a private performance, well at least it was for me. I love her rants and find her hilarious. She says the things I only wish I had the nerve to say, so she's my just put it out there roll model. She's a queen of the stage and seeing her live is an experience you'll never forget, ever!
Shannon Black
I liked this book a lot. It felt like a transcription of her spoken word pieces with super long, run on sentences. I read it like that and was able to feel the effect of hearing her speak it on stage. It was a bit outdated since it was published with Bush still in office and the West Memphis Three still behind bars... but it was nice to see the rage I felt back then permanently saved. Never forget how you felt when Bush was re-elected.
  • Chicana Feminist Thought: The Basic Historical Writings
  • Dragon Ladies: Asian American Feminists Breathe Fire
  • Plane Insanity
  • For Colored Boys Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow is Still Not Enough: Coming of Age, Coming Out, and Coming Home
  • Asian American Dreams: The Emergence of an American People
  • Fan Fiction and Fan Communities in the Age of the Internet: New Essays
  • The Montgomery Bus Boycott and the Women Who Started It: The Memoir of Jo Ann Gibson Robinson
  • James Baldwin
  • Sushi and Beyond: One Family's Remarkable Journey Through the Greatest Food Nation on Earth
  • Pretty in Punk: Girl's Gender Resistance in a Boy's Subculture
  • Uppity Women of the New World
  • Get Your Tongue Out of My Mouth, I'm Kissing You Goodbye!
  • Rape New York
  • Sua Santità
  • The Choke Artist: Confessions of a Chronic Underachiever
  • Open Wide The Freedom Gates: A Memoir
  • A Woman Like That: Lesbian And Bisexual Writers Tell Their Coming Out Stories
  • Viva la Repartee: Clever Comebacks and Witty Retorts from History's Great Wits and Wordsmiths
Margaret Cho is an American comedian, fashion designer and actress. Cho is known for her stage performances, recordings, and concert movies. Her shows are a mixture of her comedy stylings with strong political and cultural commentary. Apart from these shows she has also directed and appeared in music videos, and started her own clothing line. She has frequently supported gay rights and identifies ...more
More about Margaret Cho...

“I have so much hate that it has turned into love.” 74 likes
“Most conservatives also believe in the death penalty, but not abortion, which proves they like to procrastinate.” 48 likes