Start by marking “The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #4)

The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes #4)

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  46,334 ratings  ·  841 reviews
The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes are overshadowed by the event with which they close - the meeting of the great detective and Moriarty, the Napoleon of Crime. Their struggle, seemingly to the death, was to leave many readers desolate at the loss of Holmes, but was also to lead to his immortality as a literary figure.
Published October 28th 1993 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1893)

To ask other readers questions about The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, please sign up.

Timothy Nance No, it's not. It's a collection of cases about Sherlock Holmes, some of which predate his time with Watson. Therefore, because many of them are in the…moreNo, it's not. It's a collection of cases about Sherlock Holmes, some of which predate his time with Watson. Therefore, because many of them are in the past, he's relating them as "memoirs." (less)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonAnd Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieAngels & Demons by Dan BrownRebecca by Daphne du MaurierIn Cold Blood by Truman Capote
Best Crime & Mystery Books
113th out of 4,504 books — 10,326 voters
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonThe Big Sleep by Raymond ChandlerCornered Coyote by Dianne HarmanThe Maltese Falcon by Dashiell HammettThe Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
Detective Fiction
9th out of 694 books — 772 voters

More lists with this book...

Terry
Another series of the adventures of Sherlock Holmes as reported by his faithful biographer Dr. Watson and it becomes clearer than ever that the real draw of these stories is the fascinating character of Holmes himself. The mysteries are secondary to the enjoyment, though many of them do prove to have distinct elements of interest (otherwise why would the great detective have bothered himself about them?), but it really is in observing the fascinating character of Holmes himself that the reader i ...more
K.D. Absolutely
Kelly
Feb 28, 2010 Kelly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Holmes fans
Come and see the Softer Side of Sherlock Holmes! The stories in this collection focus on the revelation that: "Sherlock Holmes! He's Just Like Us!" He makes mistakes! He judges too quickly! He was once young and went to school! He had friends! He has a brother (who is, as Sherlock readily admits, smarter than he is, just without his ambition)!

We (shockingly!) essentially find out that he is a human being. We see Sherlock has a family, and has interests other than things that have to do with his
Tfitoby
The Death of Holmes!

Whilst not the title of the story or the book containing it that is exactly what is included in this collection. But of course we all know better than that these days. We all know that Doyle was forced to write more Holmes stories against his wishes. Poor guy.

I think the dislike Doyle had for writing the Holmes stories is incredibly apparent with this collection. Some of the stories are dull and formulaic - ten pages of somebody telling Holmes about the case and ten pages of
Stefania T.

Nel mezzo del cammin di nostra...Lettura.

Giungo in questi afosi ed estivi istanti al completamento della lettura di circa 1/2 del "Canone", termine che identifica l'intera e completa collezione dei romanzi e dei racconti che vedono protagonista l' "autentico" Sherlock Holmes, quello nato dalla penna di sir Arthur Conan Doyle (distinto da quello "apocrifo", generato dalla discutibile creatività di altri scrittori post-Conan Doyle).
Raggiunto questo piccolo traguardo, linea di demarcazione fra i c.
Jøℌαᾔηα »ℑ'м α ℓїттł℮ мøяℯ тℌαη υşεℓℯşş«
Reichenbach Falls
Switzerland

To Whomever It May Concern,
After visiting the famed "Reichenbach Falls" yesterday, (an experience I was informed must not under any circumstances be missed - and I was not disappointed) I was most disturbed about the safety of the walks leading around the falls. The cliff is steep, and the drop a good way down. If one were to
fall, that person, I think, would no doubt come to a rather unfortunately nasty end. Since the path, also, as I noticed, is a slippery and trea
Diane
Another delightful collection of Sherlock Holmes stories. My favorites were Silver Blaze, The Adventure of the Greek Interpreter, The Adventure of the Naval Treaty and The Final Problem.

The Final Problem is famous because Arthur Conan Doyle wrote it to kill the character of Sherlock Holmes. Doyle was reportedly tired of the detective and wanted to be free to write other things. (However, fans of Sherlock were so upset that Doyle eventually relented and brought him back to life.)

I listened to t
Casey
One of the hallmarks of the Sherlock Holmes stories is that they are not actually told from Holmes' point of view. They are told by Dr. Watson in the form of newspaper stories which chronicle his friend's investigations. This is not odd in itself, except that Holmes often leaves Watson behind and hours later returns to recount the adventure's ending to him. This structure is never more fascinating than in the famous "The Final Problem," in which Holmes and Moriaty tumble over Reichenbach Falls. ...more
Mohammed
The first 4-5 stories i thought this collection was not as consistently great as The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes collection i read before it. What i liked in this collection that was different from that collection is that several of the stories dealt with how flawed Holmes was in his detection,cases. If he didnt have enough facts,evidence he wasnt a brilliant detective. If he wasnt quick the criminals might get away forever from the police,justice.

The best stories who made the collection strong
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
This isn't going to be a terribly in-depth review, because I think I might just review the series as a whole once I finish reading them all. I have a huge omnibus on all of them, so yeah. (It was free for Kindle for a while, but I think it may be gone now ... AHHH.)

Anyway, like all the Sherlock Holmes I've read, I enjoyed this one a lot. It didn't stick with me quite as much as the one before it (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes), but it was still enjoyable. And we got to meet some awesome new
James
Another collection of Sherlock Holmes short stories, this time packaged as the memoirs of rather than the adventures of, but the format is the same: eleven stories from the archives of Dr. Watson. Some are from Holmes's early days, some from when Holmes and Watson were besties and some from after Watson had married and moved out. There are some innovations too however.

Firstly, we find out in The Greek Interpreter, that Holmes has a brother – Mycroft – who turns out to be much more corpulent than
Keith
Once again, ohmahgerd, I was straight-up-literally a different person when I started this book like 18 months ago. I carried it around for sooo LONG in the front pocket of my backpack, thinking it would be one of those books I could pull out and read one-mystery-at-a-time whenever I had downtime. But srsly kids? Downtime is for reading X-Men comics. A man's gotta commit to Sherlock Holmes.

So although I don't remember the first half of this book at all anymore, I'll say that I quite enjoyed the s
Casey
Overall, the collection is weak, but there a few interesting cases. Many of the stories involve a character coming to see Holmes and Waston, recounting the tale, and then the case is solved in about 3 pages. It is still fun to read the deductive reasoning.

Considering how much things have changed since these stories were written, it is very difficult for me to deduce some of the information. Makes it all the more challenging if you don't know your history.

The last four stories, The Resident Pati
Pink
Another Holmes, another hit? Yep it was for me. I found myself liking this collection of stories more and more the further along I read. Yes there's a formula to each of them, yes you can usually see what's coming a mile off, that or it's completely implausible. Yet, there is something about Sherlock that is captivating. Is it the writing, the relationship with Watson, the whodunnit? I'm not sure exactly, but I'll quote George Orwell on the matter of Holmes in his essay entitled 'Good Bad Books' ...more
Tamra
Jan 04, 2012 Tamra rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
I love Sherlock Holmes and own The Complete Sherlock Holmes. I keep a bookmark that tells me how many of the 1,122 pages I've read, and after finishing Memoirs, I'm almost halfway through.

This time I was inspired to read Memoirs after watching Sherlock 2 in the theaters with my husband and him asking me things like, "Did he really fall like that in the book?" and "Was his archenemy really named Moriarty?" (Answers: Sort of yes, and yes.)

Holmes gets better the older I get. The great thing about S
Ferdy
A fairly entertaining bunch of mysteries - even though some were rather predictable they still managed to be quite enjoyable. I liked Moriarty's story best of all, it was different than all the other formulaic cases Sherlock dealt with.
Mark Nenadov
It's been so very long since I've jumped into the Sherlock Holmes stories and this foray has been so very delightful. It reminds me that deep down, missing detection and deductive reasoning skills notwithstanding, I'm a devoted Sherlockian.

These stories are top notch, showing Holmes in his finest form. And they never grow old. A. C. Doyle's genius is behind every stroke. It's also heaping brilliance upon brilliance to have both Mycroft Holmes (Sherlock's brother) and Moriatry (Sherlock's reptili
DC
In this book, we learn a little more about Sherlock Holmes: some particulars on his first case, a few glimpses on his college days, and his filial relations. (Let's not forget that this volume presents us with the introduction of an opponent worthy of his intellectual prowess: Professor Mortiary.) The stories seem rather subdued to me, but are no less singular and interesting as Doyle's other writings of the famed detective.
Amrit Sinha
It’s remarkable how fiction can seem more real than reality, how a character conceived in a few words can live on beyond the pages, assuming a larger than life form, walking, sitting, and talking with you, his singular skills in finding solutions to problems that seem tricky initially, but once he deduces them and provides his reasonings, you feel oh – that – was – so – simple. Sherlock Holmes isn't just a character created by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Rather, he is the hero, the brilliance, and t ...more
John Yelverton
Arthur Conan Doyle strikes again with another fantastic addition to the Sherlock Holmes mystery book series.
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Sep 04, 2011 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sherlock Holmes Fans
This is the second set of Sherlock Holmes short stories, eleven in all, that appeared in the Strand magazine and collected in The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes. I fell in love with the Holmes stories from the first I read for high school--"The Speckled Band" which appears in the first set of shorts, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. Pretty much all my favorite Holmes shorts appear in that first volume, but a lot of these are memorable for one reason or the other.

In terms of being great puzzle pie
Phil
Like many short story collection that deal with similar themes and characters, it eventually gets hard to distinguish one Holmes tale from another - so a Sherlock Holmes reading marathon probably isn't the ideal way of getting through the works - however, that's what I'm halfway through.

Having said that, I think that for me this is the best Holmes book so far. The writing is noticeably better than in the previous novels and collection - the phrasing is more assured and the description more colou
Chad
Jun 10, 2011 Chad rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I recently finished reading the Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes on my Kindle. I have really enjoyed reading the tales of Sherlock Holmes and my dear Watson.

The Memoirs cover nearly a dozen short tales of Sherlock Holmes, in these tales we learn more about Sherlock as a person, his history, his nearly friendless time at University, his family heritage and brother. We also see that Holmes is not by any means perfect at his craft and he gets a case completely wrong.

Besides just being good fun, I have fo
Rose
"The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" made me finally -- *finally*, after literally years of trying -- fall in love with the literary character of Sherlock Holmes. Which makes "The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes" pretty much the perfectly ideal follow-up read.

I've heard it debated that "Adventures" is the best book of short detective fiction to ever be written. And I have to admit that, in terms of sheer ingenuity, the plots of the "Adventures" stories may in fact be the best. But if I found the plott
Emma
Now that Dr. Watson is married, he sees less and less of Sherlock Holmes. However, his former flatmate still calls on him occasionally for assistance in interesting mysteries. In The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, Watson and Sherlock encounter a stolen racehorse, an elaborate robbery, secret identities, murder and theft. Watson also finally meets Sherlock’s clever brother Mycroft, hears stories of Sherlock’s first cases and even sees Sherlock outwitted. Watson is also first introduced to Sherlock’s ...more
Ensiform
The worst of the Holmes novels, in my view, with several of the stories depending on a very weak premise, which only a total fool would believe, or with Holmes doing very little.

1. "Silver Blaze." In which Holmes finds a missing race horse and solves the murder of its trainer. A solid, technical detective story, with an ingenious solution. But would the police really take a horse’s kick in the head to be a blow from a lead-weighted walking stick?

2. "The Yellow Face." In which Holmes is told of a
Thom Swennes
While I was reading The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle, I realized that literature has mutated to an almost unrecognizable concept in the last 120 years (this book was published in 1892 and 1893 in The Strand Magazine). I first found Holmes powers of deduction dubious but as I continued through the eleven cases that made up the volume, it began to become increasingly more irritating. I grew up with Earle Stanley Gardner’s Perry Mason and couldn’t help but compare these two supe ...more
Anushree
I hadn't expected to get teary-eyed while reading Holmes, ever, but i found myself wiping tears as i read the following lines:

"As I turned away, I saw Holmes, with his back against a rock and his arms folded, gazing down at the rush of the waters. It was the last that I was ever destined to see of him in this world."

The faithful Watson writes these as he walks away from Holmes, leaving him alone at the Reichenbach Falls to meet his apparent death along with Professor Moriarty, Holmes' arch-enemy
ayrdaomei
I read this collection of short stories out of curiosity about the Sherlock Holmes of canon. I've seen the RDJ Sherlock Holmes (didn't much like the first film, didn't see the second), the BC Sherlock Holmes (have seen all the BBC eps, but didn't much like them either), and the JLM Sherlock Holmes (am currently watching Elementary, and am a fan...I think).

These stories are my first introduction to the Sherlock Holmes (and Watson) of canon. And you can color me surprised at how poor Sherlock seem
Charlotte (Buried in Books)
Different versions of the collection 2 23 Jul 15, 2014 06:14AM
Catching up on Cl...: The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes #4 *SPOILERS* 2 6 Apr 05, 2014 04:55PM
DumbleDORKS: The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes 11 26 Sep 15, 2013 06:20PM
  • Poirot Investigates (Hercule Poirot, #3)
  • The Seventh Bullet (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)
  • The Wisdom of Father Brown (Father Brown, #2)
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: After Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Classic Crime)
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Stalwart Companions
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Web Weaver
  • Dust and Shadow: An Account of the Ripper Killings by Dr. John H. Watson
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Man From Hell
  • The Seven-Percent Solution
  • Lord Peter Views the Body (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #4)
  • The Revenge of the Hound: A Sherlock Holmes Mystery
  • Sherlock: The Casebook
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Giant Rat of Sumatra
  • The Whitechapel Horrors
  • Dr. Jekyll and Mr.Holmes
  • The New Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Exploits of Sherlock Holmes
  • Sherlock Holmes of Baker Street: A Life of the World's First Consulting Detective
Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism record
More about Arthur Conan Doyle...
A Study in Scarlet  (Sherlock Holmes, #1) The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #3) The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5) The Complete Sherlock Holmes The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume II

“It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.” 754 likes
“Any truth is better than indefinite doubt.” 104 likes