Start by marking “Werewolves Don't Go to Summer Camp (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #2)” as Want to Read:

Werewolves Don't Go to Summer Camp (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids #2)

3.83  ·  Rating Details ·  1,926 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
The hugely popular early chapter book series re-emerges with a new look! Brand-new eye-catching cover art brings a modern feel to this classic monster series for young readers.
The new director at Camp Lone Wolf seems like a nice guy. But when the kids learn the legend of a local boy who disappeared and the wolf that prowls the campgrounds howling in the night, they start
Published July 1st 1991 by Scholastic Paperbacks

Gabriella Alaniz
Jun 05, 2016 Gabriella Alaniz rated it it was amazing
I'm rating these based on my enjoyment of the series as a child.
jasmine
Some things wear off as you get older. You outgrow them or start to think they're lame, not funny, etc. This series is not one of those things. I'm 22 and the same things that made me laugh when I was 8 still make me laugh now. All of these kids are so doggone cute too!

The writing is simple and to the point, without any words that a child would be confused by, and the chapters are long enough for a child to feel encouraged by reading a big kid book, but short enough that they won't be overwhelm
Cameron Chaney
Mar 25, 2015 Cameron Chaney rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Cameron by: Darth J
Shelves: middle-grade, series
J. asked me if I'm hooked on this series now that I've started reading it and I have to say: yes, I definitely am. No shame! It's a series that takes me back to the good ol' days of how children's books used to be; a quick story, crisp writing, great illustrations, and a fun plot.

The first book Vampires Don't Wear Polka Dots was a great start to the series and Werewolves Don't Go to Summer Camp is no exception. It's fast, light, entertaining, and (I gotta say it) cute. There were a couple of thi
Melissa ***BITCH, I'M READING!***
Jul 21, 2014 Melissa ***BITCH, I'M READING!*** rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-goal
Summer read with the kiddo!

I loved these books when I was little. Ashton seems to enjoys them also!
Kimberly
Jul 03, 2012 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
The collection of "The adventures of the Bailey School Kids" stories are among my all-time favorite children's books. Witty, mischievous and fun, these short and silly books continue to bring giggles to the young and old. Just as I have enjoyed them as a kid, my own children also love them today. I even catch myself re-reading them (alone) from time to time. What can I say? I guess I'll always be a BSK kid at heart.
Kate Matson
Feb 25, 2016 Kate Matson rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
I don't remember much about this series, only that I really enjoyed them. It was a fun story for young readers and the writing style was great.
Stephany Hensley
Oct 28, 2015 Stephany Hensley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: series-books
This book was chosen by my reading buddy around Halloween time and her and I really enjoyed it. Its about young kids in fourth or fifth grade who go on a camping outing. Their they meet a strange camp counselor who they assume is a werewolf. Howie, Melody, Liza and Eddie are at it again as they investigate to see if this Mr. Jenkins is a true werewolf. I think this book is intended for children from 8-11 years old who can understand that there is no such thing as werewolves, yet they can still f ...more
Dolly
Jul 29, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
This is the second book in the The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids series. We've only read a couple of them so far, but our oldest really likes them. Since it's the second story in the series, we are starting to learn more about the main characters. We won't likely read these books in order, but it doesn't seem to matter much. It's a fun story and we are first introduced to the summer camp and Mr. Jenkins (I probably should've read Monsters Don't Scuba Dive next.) We are looking forward to ...more
Vishvasri J.S
Mar 29, 2014 Vishvasri J.S rated it it was amazing
All the kids strained to read the sign as the bus pulled on to the gravel drive way. It read Welcome to Camp Lone Wolf. They met their camp director Mr.Jenkins who was as hairy as a wolf and he was wearing dog tags. Everybody rushed in, after having their dinner which was cold hamburger they went to their beds and dozed off. Melody slept on the upper bunk of the bunk bed. Melody's eyes shot open just as a bolt of lightning cut through the sky. The light was so bright, she could see the hunched f ...more
Erica
Oct 20, 2014 Erica rated it really liked it
Just finished this story tonight with my 8 y.o. son. It was interesting and engaging, and even I was wondering if the counselor is, indeed, a werewolf. I'm not sure I'd be too keen on spending a week at that summer camp. hehehe.

Like in Vampires Don't wear Polkadots, you never get a straight forward answer on the supernatural, but it is implied. And I like how that helps kiddos to piece together clues, make educated guesses and arrive at their own conclusion.

A fast paced, quickly read and fun ta
Kindee Porter
In this adventurous book the new director at Camp Lone Wolf seems like a nice guy. But when the campers learn the legend of a local boy who disappeared and the wolf that comes around the campgrounds howling in the night.

A great book that you could do a quick read aloud with the students at the end of the school year just before they leave for summer. The students would be engaged and love every minute of this mysterious book.
Jerome
Mar 09, 2015 Jerome rated it really liked it
Another fine addition to the series that introduces the interesting Mr. Jenkins, a camp counselor at Camp Lone Wolf, is suspected of being a werewolf due to his habit of howling, abundance of hair, and enjoyment of raw meat (which he absurdly tries to feed to the campers). He never wear shoes and never joins the kids at campfires. At the end the kids devise a trap involving Wolfsbane, after which Jenkins shows up clean-shaven and well-dressed.

Enjoyable.
Elizabeth
Sep 18, 2012 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile-fantasy

I read these books, while the rest of the kids read The Boxcar Children and Saddle Club

It is a surprise that I like fantasy and science fiction now? Nope.
Sep 05, 2016 Sarah rated it liked it
Cute, quick read.
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 Catherine Woodman rated it liked it
The Bailey School Kids is a best-selling children's book series by Marcia Thornton Jones and Debbie Dadey. Its main characters are a group of four children (Eddie, Howie, Liza, Melody) who suspect some persons in the stories are popular folk lore or fairy tale characters. They are appealing because they mix a familiar story in with this group of kids. Mid-grammar school
Christian Padgett
This book is fun for students at the end of the school year or during Halloween. It the book has some words students may not be familar with, so context clues could be applied to determine what some words mean. Also this book is great for the imagination for it talks about mythical creatures and this could be a great, fun way for students to distinguish what is real and not.
Lela
Jan 26, 2016 Lela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Working through the books at work and saw this. I'd forgotten all about this series until today. It was one of my favourites when I was a kid. This was the only book from the series this place had, but still fun to find and read through just once more.
Rob
Aug 17, 2008 Rob rated it it was amazing
Who didn't have teachers that seemed like twisted monsters? Finally, some honesty in literature.

Personally, I think this series is way better than that popular series about the vampire that is in love with the girl because she smells like flowers.

Amanda
This was the first book I read of this series. I was in about 2nd grade and I didn’t think I would like it. I read it anyway and found out that I LOVED it! I don’t think I read many if any more of these books but I know I made my Mom buy me lots of them.
Daha0wils0n
Dec 10, 2008 Daha0wils0n rated it liked it
i think this book is awesome, because it is easy to understand and i definitely get the images of this book. i am kind of confusing...who the *********** is the real werewolves? in my opinion, there is no weresolves at all.(incorrect grammers, help out... dont complain)
Darth J
Apr 01, 2013 Darth J rated it really liked it
Werewolves Don't Go to Summer Camp ... Or Do They?

This second installment in the series finds the children filled with beginning of summer jitters that perfectly encapsulates the feeling of being away from home and at a sleep away camp for the first time.
Oscar
Apr 24, 2013 Oscar rated it liked it
Esta colección de libros me son muy divertidos, recuerdo haber leído la mayoría de los primeros. Los recomendaría a cualquier niño o niña... digo tiene pizca de terror pero también comedia y más que nada enseña el valor de la amistad.
Molly
Oct 11, 2009 Molly rated it really liked it
A silly series that creates more questions than it answers. It's great for formulating theories as well as predictions. The class dynamics should be very familiar to those of the Magic School Bus generation.
Shane Tatman
Aug 03, 2009 Shane Tatman rated it did not like it
Chris and I read this one together because some other kids recommended the Bailey School Kids. We didn't really like it because it never answered any of the questions it ask - just left everything hanging there.
Jessica Smith
Dec 02, 2011 Jessica Smith rated it it was amazing
Pretty good. Read it to my 7 year old niece. Kept her attention really well! Loved the balance of humor and horror which wasn't bloody or anything like so many books are today but jump out at ya spooky horror!
Ryan Reimer
Feb 25, 2015 Ryan Reimer rated it it was amazing
I chose this book because I read it as a kid. I liked this book because it kind of left the reader wondering if the person was a werewolf or not and let them make their own conclusions. This is a good book for inquisitive readers.
Melissa
Dec 07, 2010 Melissa rated it liked it
This was great for my five year old boy. Just scary enough to be interesting but not scary enough that I'll be getting up with him tonight. The chapters are short; there are plenty of good new vocabulary words without having to stop all the time.
Kristine Hansen
Johnna Halsted
Nov 23, 2010 Johnna Halsted is currently reading it
Shelves: 2nd-quarter
I like this book alot i think it teaches a lesson about working together. Mr Jenkins seems friendly at first but at night he seems to have a weird problem of howling at the moon? Is he a werewolf. Really hairy and has canine teeth.
Dustin Mangum
Sep 17, 2010 Dustin Mangum rated it it was amazing
Great book i love the hole series havent even read the hole series yet i love this book especially this is the best out of all of them i read
  • The Mystery of the UFO (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #2)
  • Stanley's Christmas Adventure (Flat Stanley, #5)
  • The Case of the Spooky Sleepover (Jigsaw Jones Mystery #4)
  • Who Cloned the President? (Capital Mysteries #1)
  • Horrible Harry and the Dungeon
  • Amelia Writes Again (Amelia's Notebooks, #2)
  • The Field Day from the Black Lagoon
  • Day of the Dragon King (Magic Tree House, #14)
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Trouble with Grownups
  • Andrew Lost On the Dog (Andrew Lost #1)
  • The Slumber Party Secret (Nancy Drew: Notebooks, #1)
  • The Littles And The Trash Tinies
  • Apple-y Ever After (Princess School, #6)
Debbie Dadey is the author and co-author of 162 books for children, including the Mermaid Tales series from Simon and Schuster and the beloved Adventures of The Bailey School Kids from Scholastic. Ms. Dadey is a former teacher and librarian. Please like her at Facebook.com/debbiedadey.
More about Debbie Dadey...

The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids (1 - 10 of 51 books)
  • Vampires Don't Wear Polka Dots (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #1)
  • Santa Claus Doesn't Mop Floors (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #3)
  • Leprechauns Don't Play Basketball (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #4)
  • Ghosts Don't Eat Potato Chips (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #5)
  • Frankenstein Doesn't Plant Petunias (The Adventures Of The Bailey School Kids, #6)
  • Aliens Don't Wear Braces (Bailey School Kids #7)
  • Genies Don't Ride Bicycles (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #8)
  • Pirates Don't Wear Pink Sunglasses (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #9)
  • Witches Don't Do Backflips (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #10)
  • Skeletons Don't Play Tubas (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #11)