Start by marking “Vampires Don't Wear Polka Dots (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #1)” as Want to Read:
Vampires Don't Wear Polka Dots (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #1)

Vampires Don't Wear Polka Dots (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids #1)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  5,498 ratings  ·  168 reviews
The hugely popular early chapter book series re-emerges with a new look! Brand-new eye-catching cover art brings a modern feel to this classic monster series for young readers.
The kids in the third grade at Bailey Elementary are so hard to handle that all of their teachers have quit. But their new teacher, Mrs. Jeepers, is different to say the least. She's just moved from
Published January 1st 1991 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Vampires Don't Wear Polka Dots, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vampires Don't Wear Polka Dots

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling
I Go To A "Special" School
37th out of 90 books — 76 voters
Harry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Twilight Saga by Stephenie MeyerThe Mortal Instruments Boxed Set by Cassandra ClareVampire Academy Collection by Richelle Mead
Series Reading List
446th out of 1,274 books — 3,139 voters

More lists with this book...

Jessica Smith
I got this book to read to my 7 year old niece at night before bed. She has been getting into the twilight series and vampires and werewolves, but I find them way to mature for her so I found this book and it is so great. It kept her attention. It had a little scare here and there but nothing bloody just things poping out at ya. It has funny parts that would
Make her laugh. So if you have a young one like me who wants to be into the stuff like the older kids this book is for them. It's from the p
Mar 25, 2015 Cameron rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Cameron by: J.
Okay, so I read a lot of popular children's book series when I was a kid: Goosebumps, Magic Tree House, A to Z Mysteries, and so on... But somehow, I wound up skipping over The Bailey School Kids books. I honestly don't know how this happened since I was all in for monsters and spooky stories as a kid, but I just never picked up one of these books. That is, until now.

A big thanks to the infamous and hilarious J. for finally getting me into this series. It's long overdue, but just because I'm 21
I liked at the end because I think Howie knew Mrs Jeepers was a vampire but he was trying to protect her by not telling anyone.
Kallie is reading this whole series, so I read the first book so I could know what it's all about. I have a hard time reviewing kids' books as an adult. I'm obviously not the target audience. Kallie, however, loves them.
Zilha B.
This juvenile fiction book is about a third grade class who drove their teacher nuts. "Mrs.Deedee had not actually gone nuts, but she had quit her job after she found her top desk drawer full of shaving cream." After Mrs.Deedee left, the students got a new teacher who was weird and strange. She wore a green amulet around her neck, and the students thought she was a vampire.
Debbie Dadey, the author, use a great amount of detail. On the second page of the book, Dadey describes the incident with t
Jason Pettus
(I now maintain a blog just for my kid-lit reviews. Find it at .)

A friend has convinced me to try my hand this year for the first time at writing children's literature; but I don't actually know anything about children's literature, so am starting the process among other ways by first reading a stack of popular books that have been recommended to me. Today's titles are from yet another of these series of endless chapter-books designed for grade-schoolers, in thi
Katelyn Patterson
publisher: Scholastic

middle grade fantasy

A class of third grade students at Bailey Elementary School are getting a new teacher after they ran off Mrs. Deedee. They get Mrs. Jeepers, an woman from Romania that wears a strange green brooch that seems to glow when she rubs it. Over the course of the book, the students learn more about her which makes them question whether or not she is a vampire. But surely not, right? I mean, vampires don't wear polka dots.

As I have recently said, I am getting to
This book is so awesome I swear it was written for me! How have I not read these books before?? Somehow I missed the Bailey School Kids series growing up :(

So far this series reminds me a lot of Louis Sachar's Wayside School series (which is equally awesome!). Can't wait to check out more Bailey School Kids books!!
Chris Shamburger
When four disparate friends and their unruly third grade class run their teacher right out of the school, the last thing they expect is a vampire to take her place. But that's what our tetrad of troublemakers get with Mrs. Jeepers, a seemingly kind woman from the Transylvanian Alps who speaks in a thick Romanian accent, lives in the creepiest house in town, sneezes when exposed to garlic, and, oh yeah, shows all major signs of vampirism.

But vampires don't wear polka dots, do they?

That's up to th
I was browsing the children's section of the library for Goosebumps books when I came across this one. I remembered reading it when I was little and I felt maybe it was time for a little refresher course. Vampires Don't Wear Polka Dots is the first book in The Bailey School Kids series, centered around a group of kids at an elementary school. I think the premise of the series is these normal kids with supernatural adults roaming around this town, but I'm really unclear on all the facts. Actually ...more
There is a really great subtlety of playing on the children's imaginations in these books and that you never have a definitive answer as to whether these adults really are the monsters the children think they are. I've loved these books since the 90s when I was a kid and I've seen them really get children interested in reading, and if you can take a kid away from video games or television and actually want to sit down and read a book then I'm all for it.

Editorial Comment: I recently saw a crazi
Sep 29, 2008 Rob rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Kids who like Halloween
Recommended to Rob by: my kids
In my quest to read all the books my kids are reading, I've stumbled onto this series and it is by far my favorite series for young readers. I love Halloween and the creepy monsters that are associated. This series is about a group of kids who suspect there teachers are monsters (WHO CAN'T RELATE TO THAT!?!). Each book has them investigate an individual they suspect to be some kind of monster.

In the first book, the four kids sneak around, trying to determine if in fact their teacher is a Vampir
Just what is it about kids’ books about weird teachers, anyway? Though it seems they come by the boatload, Vampires Don’t Wear Polka Dots is a cool take on the creature-teacher subgenre for kids.
When the new teacher, Mrs. Jeepers, lands in the third grade at Bailey School, the kids begin to wonder how they’ll survive the year. A great mix of chilling humour makes Vampires Don’t Wear Polka Dots (and the rest of the Bailey School Kids series, too!) a wonderful pick for young readers this season an
Stephany Hensley
This story is another Bailey School Kids story that is a mystery. It is about a third grade class that is trouble makers until a mysterious teacher comes, Mrs. Jenkins, who they assume to be a vampire. She has characteristics in which the students feel like they are under some kind of vampire spell, when again Melody, Liza,Eddie and Howie go on an adventure to find out what's behind Mrs. Jenkins life. This book seemed intended for kids in upper elementary, 8-10 years old where they could relate ...more
Kathryn Oyler
The Bailey School Kids series were my favorite books to read in Elementary school. My 2nd and 3rd grade teacher would read us a book from the series every week. Each book tells a story about an innocuous character that the Bailey School kids meet that may or may not be a mythical being. Vampires Don’t Wear Polka Dots is fun and imaginative for children. This would be a great book to read around Halloween, even though the children may get a little scared, the suspense keeps them engaged and alert ...more
Edward Creter
L like books that present a different viewpoint on something we think we already know, and this first in a series of suspense books for kids proves that not only are vampire women amazingly ethereal (hot is not a term I use loosely) but they could be (GASP) nice people as well. When Mrs. Jeepers comes to Bailey Elementary, everybody freaks! No one knows anything about the mysterious woman with flaming red hair and a greengem on her cleavage. All the kids do agree is that SHE MUST GO!!!! She's so ...more
The things I love most about this series is that it keeps their attention, gets them thinking/using logic to determine what may or may not be, such as a vampire teacher, and it introduces the supernatural (which my kids love!) in a kid friendly way. I have two 6 year old girls and this is perfect for them. No sex, gore, violence, or blood. Just a supernatural mystery with chapters just long enough to read a couple every night before bed.
I liked when she said 'That is quite enough'. I really, really liked the book. I liked when Eddie was white as a ghost, and I liked when Eddie spit the paper balls (spitballs). I liked when she was like 'Why is there whipped cream (shaving cream) in my desk!?!'. And I liked when she rubbed her brooch. And I liked when she played a game with them. And I liked the part that there was spiderwebs hanging from her chandelier.
Maybe it's not so surprising I read the Fear Street/Goosebumps books and the Bailey Kids books growing up. Now I read everything Stephen King has to offer and the Sookie Stackhouse books.
Time is a wheel :)

Anyway I adored these books when I was a kid. Read as many of them as I could get my hands on and then read them again and again. No Babysitter's Little Sisters crap for me!
Catherine Woodman
The Bailey School Kids is a best-selling children's book series by Marcia Thornton Jones and Debbie Dadey. Its main characters are a group of four children (Eddie, Howie, Liza, Melody) who suspect some persons in the stories are popular folk lore or fairy tale characters. They are appealing because they mix a familiar story in with this group of kids. Mid-grammar school
Christian Padgett
This book is a fun and imaginative for children. Depending on the time of the year, this book would be very enjoyable during Halloween. Maybe a few children may get a little afraid especially younger elementary students. It is great thought for it keeps children engaged for what is going to happen.
It was a okay book to read. The kids really seemed to enjoy it.
It was fun talking to the kids about wither or not they thought the teacher WAS a vampire and why. It wasn't as fun for me to read out-loud as some other books I've read them, but it had a decent flow to it. The chapters were a nice size.
I love the book so much it is just so exciting.In the book a group of kids believe their new teacher is a vampire and start to stick their nose in her face. I think every one who likes fantasy should read it. I think this is a good book for people who hate to read. I just love how this book ends
Nathaniel Glosson
This is the first (and was the first I read) Bailery School Kids books! I love how each book has the kids investigating another school member that seems to be some sort of supernatural creature! It's so much fun looking at the evidence and feeling like a kid again along with the Bailey Kids!
I was so into this series as a third grader that having a signed copy of this book was a HUGE DEAL to me. The Bailey School Kids may be one of the most formulaic series ever written, but they're perfect for middle graders with the blend of humor and a minor creep factor.
Ann Medley
Apr 11, 2012 Ann Medley rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: jill o'neill, melissa gryder
Gracie really liked this series. I started reading this one last night and she didn't want me to stop. It is fun because these elementary school kids are never sure if these adults are really the mythical creatures or if they are just a little strange. Fun read for all!
I liked this book because they add a lot of fun details. They also make really cool pictures that describe what's going on. I especially like how in every single Bailey Kid Book they have the same teacher who is named Miss Jeepers, and they think she's a vampire.
I never read the Bailey School books as a child, and when I was in my practicum experiences I was shocked to see kids still enjoyed them. The books have an aspect of fantasy and mystery. They are also hysterical.

* modern fantasy
This is another great book for kids who are digging into longer books. This is also a great book series that can open the kids of to the genre of fantasy, since every book is about a new fantasy "monster," such as mummies, pirates, and martians. I also think they are good examples for children to look at for well written books for their age. One thing I liked about this book in particular was that it showed students that they should respect their teacher. Also, I like how the author incorporated ...more
Was reading this with my 8 year old daughter, she did most of the reading. The book kept her guessing even after we finished. She can't stop talking about how much she loves the series (The Bailey School Kids).
vampires are crazy 3 18 Aug 01, 2013 02:23PM
What's The Name o...: Children's Silly Mystery Series something like "Vampires Don't Wear Lipstick" [s] 2 15 Jul 20, 2013 09:04AM
Goodreads Librari...: Cover Weirdness 2 26 Jul 09, 2012 01:46PM
  • Zap! I'm A Mind Reader
  • The Absent Author (A to Z Mysteries, #1)
  • Horrible Harry in Room 2B (Horrible Harry, #2)
  • Make Way for Dyamonde Daniel
  • The Mystery of the Stolen Diamonds (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #1)
  • Marvin Redpost: Kidnapped at Birth? (Marvin Redpost, #1)
  • Reindeer Do Wear Striped Underwear (The Bailey School Kids Jr. Chapter Book, #2)
  • Andrew Lost On the Dog (Andrew Lost #1)
  • Amber Brown Is Not a Crayon
  • The Case of Hermie the Missing Hamster (Jigsaw Jones Mystery #1)
  • Amelia Writes Again (Amelia's Notebooks, #2)
  • The Stories Julian Tells
  • The Scarecrow Walks at Midnight (Goosebumps, #20)
  • Sticks and Stones
  • How Oliver Olson Changed the World
Debbie Dadey is the author and co-author of 162 books for children, including the Mermaid Tales series from Simon and Schuster and the beloved Adventures of The Bailey School Kids from Scholastic. Ms. Dadey is a former teacher and librarian. Please like her at
More about Debbie Dadey...

The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids (1 - 10 of 51 books)
  • Werewolves Don't Go to Summer Camp (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #2)
  • Santa Claus Doesn't Mop Floors (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #3)
  • Leprechauns Don't Play Basketball (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #4)
  • Ghosts Don't Eat Potato Chips (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #5)
  • Frankenstein Doesn't Plant Petunias (The Adventures Of The Bailey School Kids, #6)
  • Aliens Don't Wear Braces (Bailey School Kids #7)
  • Genies Don't Ride Bicycles (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #8)
  • Pirates Don't Wear Pink Sunglasses (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #9)
  • Witches Don't Do Backflips (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #10)
  • Skeletons Don't Play Tubas (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #11)