Lean Software Development: An Agile Toolkit for Software Development Managers

Lean Software Development: An Agile Toolkit for Software Development Managers

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  322 ratings  ·  20 reviews
"Lean Software Development" shows software professionals how to achieve breakthrough quality, savings, speed, and business value by adapting the seven "lean" principles that have already revolutionized manufacturing and R&D. Drawing on 25+ years' experience leading enterprise projects, the authors show how to use these principles to create agile processes that "work" -...more
Published May 18th 2003 by Addison-Wesley Professional

To ask other readers questions about Lean Software Development, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lean Software Development

Henri Hämäläinen
What I love about the book Lean Software Development by Mary and Tom Poppendieck is that even it's subtitle is Agile Toolkit, it isn't a such a toolkit that offers ready made solutions. I've never believed this one size fits all thinking which is sometimes pushed with Scrum and Kanban literature and this is refreshing exception to that thinking. This one offers explanations why things tend to go in some ways and what are the user or organizational problems these tools are trying to solve.

I'm act...more
Joni Kettunen
Dec 31, 2013 Joni Kettunen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Software developer, project manager, and software company managers
Recommended to Joni by: co-worker
I found this book very interesting since the first few pages I read. Then I flipped through the book and I was convinced.

Book contains 22 ways to improve software development practices. Each practice is explained thoroughly and most of them are highlighted with examples. Because lean principles are widely used in other industries, continuous improvement and holistic view is explained in wider perspective. Examples from car design and manufacturing reflect nicely to software projects.

At the end o...more
Arjen
Nice, concise overview of Lean in relation to software development. Lean is an agile management philosophy derived mostly from the Toyota Production System.

I didn't know anything about lean but stumbled upon it while researching scrum (another agile management philosophy). Now I know about lean and like it very much. Some lean principles overlap scrum principles and practices while others extend them. Ideal to reflect on scrum and agile from a different perspective.

Every chapter discusses one of...more
Caroline Gordon
I'm working my way through the classics on Lean and Agile methods, I have met the great Tom and Mary and was extremely impressed and since this was selected for my book club, then here we are - another classic ticked off. This book is definitely essential reading for anyone involved in software development.

The premise of the book is that software development can learn allot from general product development principles. Much has been learned in Toyota about how to streamline product development an...more
Deniss Rutseikov Ojastu
This is probably the best book on management of software development that I have read so far. I appreciate that Poppendiecks propagate the principles and certain mind-set and not some specific methods for agile development. The best of all, I see from my own work that many of these principles do work if properly followed and communicated to the rest of the team and to the clients.

Examples from the lean production are not always very illuminating, yet sometimes provoke interesting analogies.
Martin
This is a somewhat poorly written and badly edited book intended to provide the basic grounding in so called "agile" processes for software development. While some of the basic ideas are sound, they are poorly presented, with a lot of repeated material and laboured examples. The whole book is based on an assumed model for a software project that is only narrowly applicable to real development. There is no help in applying the principles outside of the confines of a small single customer product...more
David Allen
An amazing survey of concepts related to agile software development. But not merely a survey - it ties it all together in a way that reveals the interconnectedness of all these different ideas. I gained a much deeper appreciation of the deepest principles of system thinking, organizational psychology, and software quality. The "Try This" sections at the end of each chapter are extremely practical. They serve as my personal coach in my efforts to improve.
Marko
Toyota principles put in software development context in a pretty comprehensive way.
Renato Willi
Very good theories to learn about software development!
Torben Rasmussen
Good book about lean in software development. As a reference book it introduced a lot of great tools for improving software development based on lean principles. I am not so fond of the toolkit style which makes the book less fluent to read.
Each tool is not covered in-depth, but to a level where it is possible to start experimenting and learn more.
A key point from the book is the power of principles: Focus on principles as these can be reused in a different environments - practices mostly cann...more
Dane
Didn't even make it half way through this book. Totally dry and extremely boring, there were a few good take-aways but not enough to keep me reading. One of only a very few books that I haven't finished in my life!
Celso Crivelaro
Nice book about Lean techniques in Software Development, especially the details about the 7 principles.
At some moments, author makes links to other principles losing the focus, but it is an exceptional book!
Rich Dammkoehler
Oct 24, 2013 Rich Dammkoehler rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Agilists, Software Developers
Recommended to Rich by: Chris Beale
Shelves: agile, technical
An Insightful and entertaining book on applying Lean Principles to software development. I think pretty much everyone in the Agile community should read this book.
Charlie Wang
Informative read that backs up "lean" software development concepts with concrete real world examples on implementing this particular type of Agile development.

Matt Hooper
The ideas put forth in this book are very attractive. I'm asking several coworkers to read it as well so we can starting thinking in these terms together.
Dan
May 15, 2008 Dan is currently reading it
Geeky work related stuff.
Fun in it tries to relate Industrial Process methods to software.
Deralex
Must read for agile coaches and process manager / leader.
Stanislas Rusinsky
Best book on Lean and Software development
Alexei
Good book about agile basics and principals.
Łukasz
Łukasz marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Lindsay Chung
Lindsay Chung is currently reading it
Sep 16, 2014
Mohammad-javad Izadi
Mohammad-javad Izadi marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Ragi Pramod
Ragi Pramod marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Dandel
Dandel is currently reading it
Sep 14, 2014
Bas Geerdink
Bas Geerdink marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Antara Roy
Antara Roy marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Dealyllama
Dealyllama marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
  • Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great
  • User Stories Applied: For Agile Software Development
  • Kanban: Successful Evolutionary Change for Your Technology Business
  • The Principles of Product Development Flow: Second Generation Lean Product Development
  • Extreme Programming Explained: Embrace Change (The XP Series)
  • Agile Coaching
  • Continuous Delivery: Reliable Software Releases Through Build, Test, and Deployment Automation (Addison-Wesley Signature)
  • Agile Project Management with Scrum
  • Working Effectively with Legacy Code
  • Refactoring to Patterns
  • Management 3.0: Leading Agile Developers, Developing Agile Leaders

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Implementing Lean Software Development: From Concept to Cash Leading Lean Software Development: Results Are not the Point The Lean Mindset: Ask the Right Questions Leading Lean Software Development: Results Are not the Point (Addison-Wesley Signature Series (Beck)) Lean Software Development: An Agile Toolkit