Start by marking “The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde & Weir of Hermiston (Oxford World's Classics)” as Want to Read:

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,348 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
This volume includes Stevenson's famous spine-chilling thriller Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde as well as Weir of Hermiston, a brilliant autobiographical portrayal of a father-son relationship.
Published July 9th 1998 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1886)

Be the first to ask a question about The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde & Weir of Hermiston

Mr Buchanan
Aug 18, 2009 Mr Buchanan rated it really liked it
Ah, the nineteenth century - when sentences rolled off the tongue and bachelors had dastardly fun. Stevenson wrote this "sparsely-printed shilling novel" (as The Times called it) in 1886; a bit after Dickens, a touch before Conan Doyle. As soon as I sat down with it, I felt as if I was slipping onto the chaise longue with a great storyteller, ready for psychoanalysis by proxy.

Two things I liked about this book: its structure and its treatment of theme. Structurally, it builds to a finale by the
Jesse
Oct 03, 2010 Jesse rated it it was amazing
After reading Stevenson’s The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde I got the taste for his style and decided to give his highly regarded (unfinished) novel Weir of Hermiston a close read. Characteristically substantive, in keeping with the aesthetics of his time, this short but densely heavy piece of realist fiction took me thrice the amount of hours to finish reading it than perhaps the majority of contemporary novels of the same length.
In this story Stevenson explores several themes, amon
Stephen Livingston
Apr 28, 2012 Stephen Livingston rated it it was amazing
Psychologically Addicted to Hyde

Robert Louis Stevenson’s The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde has like Bram Stoker’s Dracula and Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein created a monster. This monster has escaped the confines of the page and transformed itself from genre to genre moving further from the text with each evolution. Like Dracula and Frankenstein, Mr Hyde has appeared on stage and screen. The monster of these horror productions has grown in the telling until it becomes part of the public ps
Meg
Jan 20, 2011 Meg rated it it was amazing
While most people know the entire story of this book, it was very interesting to read. I finished it on the metro one morning and spent the rest of the time staring out the window, thinking of that line from that Janis Joplin song, "Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose." The story is about a man who manages to free himself not only from his own responsibilites, but from the responsibilites of guilt, of obligation and of any moral decision. He was entirely free of everything - so ...more
Spaghettitoes
Oct 30, 2012 Spaghettitoes rated it it was ok
NOT A REAL REVIEW (This is just for my recall really).

Well Jekyll and Hyde wasn't what I was expecting, although I did like it. It was an interesting way to tell the story and some fun characters. Of course I was struck by how the way Hyde is described in the book is possibly the exact opposite of how movie and TV portray him, like the point he was making in the book is beyond general understanding? IDK, I know from Cartoons it's a long held theory that Hyde is this big, brutish monster so inte
Isaiah the Ox
Mar 03, 2014 Isaiah the Ox rated it it was ok
Recommended to Isaiah the Ox by: Sonlight
Shelves: classic
Not many books have been able to give me nightmares. This one did.
Meghan Castiglia
Sep 11, 2011 Meghan Castiglia rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
Recommended to Meghan by: School requirement
I did not like this book. I was told to read this book for my stupid summer reading report. The first chapter I thought there was no point to untill Mr. Utterson had a dream just like the story that Mr. Enfield told him on their almost usual Sunday walk. Whatmade it unusual is they actually spoke to eachother. They normall don't speak, and personlly I cannot do that. This book was so boring to me that I fell asleep on the first dang page. It took me forever to actually even read the book. It was ...more
Victoria Olsen
Sep 03, 2010 Victoria Olsen rated it it was amazing
I re-read this over two long weeks of jury duty, though the book is short. It's classically structured -- with the pedestrian lawyer introducing us to the eccentric doctor, who in turn becomes the madman Jekyll. As with The Great Gatsby, Heart of Darkness, Frankenstein et al, the conventional narrator brings us closer and closer to a dark or enigmatic center. Very efficiently done.
Richard
Aug 06, 2012 Richard rated it it was ok
Knowing this was a classic horror book I was disappointed that it never got me very interested. I only finished it just so I could get through it not because I wanted to know what would happen next. Perhaps it is because I had a pretty good idea of how the story went that there just wasn't any suspense. It is a good portrayal of the battle of good vs evil in each of us.
Ellie
Jul 16, 2012 Ellie rated it it was ok
I'm on the last chapter, which is over 25% of the whole novel. We have to read it for school, and since it's by the same author as Treasure Island (we had to read last year and I disliked it), I'm having a hard time liking it. It's pretty weird and confusing, and I've had to use SparkNotes to help clear up my confusion. I'll probably finish it up later today.
Frederick Voon
Jan 23, 2016 Frederick Voon rated it really liked it
I very much enjoyed Jekyll and Hyde (5 stars + Heart) and A Chapter on Dreams (4 stars), but don't see why anybody would consider the unfinished Weir of Hermiston (3 stars) Stevenson's masterpiece. It seemed more of a hotchpotch of satire, melodrama and romance (in that order) to me.
William
Jan 21, 2013 William rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Robert Louis Stevenson at his best is so much better than what we are often willing to admit. A good author to rediscover after one has avoided him for years. Artful narrative, creative writing, masterful storytelling make The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde worth one's time.
Chris Hughes
Jun 26, 2010 Chris Hughes rated it liked it
This isn't the exact version that I read - but it appears to be the closest.
Can't believe I'd never read this before. I knew the premise of the story, but hadn't read it (or come to think of it, seen a movie version).
Rianna (RiannaBlok)
I only read 'Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde'. Although I loved the build-up and I felt the great urge to read on, the last couple of page really were an anti-climax. I am glad I've read it, but I will probably not re-read it...
Valerie
Nov 22, 2011 Valerie rated it liked it
The duality of Jekyll and Hyde is the underlyning mystery and main plot. On the outside it's a scifi story but deeper down it's a man both fighting and embracing aspects of himself.
Josh
Dec 28, 2013 Josh rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, classics
An enjoyable tale, even if you think you know it.
Charlotte
Dec 03, 2010 Charlotte rated it liked it
Shelves: classics
'Twas alright, quite an interesting study of the human mind, shame it was so short.
Migsy
Jan 27, 2012 Migsy rated it really liked it
Great story. Thought provoking. I'd just like a little more of an ending.
Suzanne
Feb 13, 2013 Suzanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-read for school. About to start teaching it with my senior classes.
Steven Wedgeworth
Jun 14, 2011 Steven Wedgeworth rated it it was amazing
Definitely worth reading again as an adult.
reham ragab
Nov 12, 2012 reham ragab rated it really liked it
خلصته فى يوم واحد عجبنى جدا جداجدا
Bailey Jackson
Mar 15, 2013 Bailey Jackson rated it it was amazing
Liked, good to read near Halloween.
Kristen
Apr 26, 2011 Kristen rated it liked it
Deliciously creepy.
Riley
Riley marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Nancy
Nancy rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2016
Anja
Anja marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Felicity
Felicity marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Enaria
Enaria rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2016
Ivy Smith
Ivy Smith rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2016
Hala Mohammad
Hala Mohammad marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
  • Murder at the ABA
  • The Night Calls
  • The Difficulty of Being
  • The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne Study Guide
Robert Louis (Balfour) Stevenson was a Scottish novelist, poet, and travel writer, and a leading representative of English literature. He was greatly admired by many authors, including Jorge Luis Borges, Ernest Hemingway, Rudyard Kipling and Vladimir Nabokov.

Most modernist writers dismissed him, however, because he was popular and did not write within their narrow definition of literature. It is o
More about Robert Louis Stevenson...