Start by marking “Seeing Red (Ambassador #1)” as Want to Read:
Seeing Red (Ambassador #1)

Seeing Red (Ambassador #1)

Book 1 of the Ambassador Space Opera Thriller series.

24 October 2114: the day that shocked the world.

Young diplomat Cory Wilson narrowly escapes death in the assassination of President Sirkonen. No one claims responsibility but there is no doubt that the attack is extraterrestrial.

Cory was meant to start work as a representative to Gamra, the alien organisation that gov
Published November 30th 2013 (first published October 31st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Seeing Red, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seeing Red

Leonie
Aug 24, 2014 Leonie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished Ambassador: Seeing Red, today. I loved this book.

Patty Jansen has done a remarkable world building job, building a complex interplanetary society structured around 'gamra,' with earth and humanity as we mostly know it, sitting on the periphery. Cory Wilson is earth's second ambassador to 'gamra' - but the first ambassador who actually understands the society he's about to be thrust into.

The politics, cultural differences and language differences are complex, but well developed and un
Pauline Ross
This was a serendipitous find, since science fiction isn't my usual fare. But having tripped over it, I started reading and was instantly hooked. The book starts with a bang - literally, since almost the first thing that happens is a massive explosion which seriously injures the Nations of Earth President, during a meeting with our hero, Cory Wilson, the ambassador of the title. Cory is about to take up a position as Earth's ambassador to the united non-Earth nations (gamra) who control ...more
Steph Bennion
Oct 15, 2016 Steph Bennion rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I liked this a lot. It's more a political thriller than sci-fi, with alien cultures not overly 'alien'. I think the story would have worked just as well if 'gamra' had been the UN and 'alien races' were just nations of the Earth. I like the author's style and hope to check out her other books soon...
James Baldwin
Sep 30, 2016 James Baldwin rated it really liked it
Lush worldbuilding and good plot; some problematic stereotypes

I read this book in one sitting. It was engaging and suspenseful, complicated enough to be intriguing while being easy to follow.

I mark this as a 4-star read for a few reasons. Firstly, voice: the characters did not have very unique voices. I found it hard to picture individuals, though races are generally described. The narrator is the most individuated. It's possible this improves across the series.

Secondly, I found myself cringing
Larry B Gray
Jul 31, 2015 Larry B Gray rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you like space opera, this book is for you. If you like political intrigue, this book is for you. Ambassador 1: Seeing Red by Patty Jansen melds these two subjects into one awesome book.

The author has done a great job of developing a storyline which could be from today's headlines, but adding a science fiction twist to it. It is full of intrigue and adventure that will leave you breathless by the end of the book. The story has a lot of plot twist and turns which will keep you glued to its pag
Frank Bertino
Nov 07, 2016 Frank Bertino rated it it was amazing
Rapidly Accelerating Action

The action develops exponentially. There are many twists and turns. The love interest is convoluted and interesting. I like how Cory second guesses himself yet acts with competence.
David H Arrowood
Dec 02, 2016 David H Arrowood rated it it was amazing
Can't wait

Started slow but developed characters in depth. Pace picked up then story became very well developed and great. Next installment.
Clay Carley
Nov 25, 2016 Clay Carley rated it really liked it
Action packed

I really liked this book. Action was almost nonstop.

The only thing that didn't sit well with me was a missing bit of common sense with regards to wound infection.
Patrick Gibson
Oct 20, 2016 Patrick Gibson rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
Slow, plodding, introduction to a multi-book space opera. A lot of space--not much opera. The other books shall go unread.
Dion Perry
Oct 05, 2016 Dion Perry rated it really liked it
Being an ambassador would not be an easy job. Consider then, Corry Wilson’s job, which is to foster relations between the peoples of Earth and the non-Earth Coldi people, who live by a ridged hierarchal structure, which is dictated by instinct and pheromones. His job becomes even more complicated when the president of Nations of Earth is killed and it is suspected the killer is Coldi. Worse still, Corry is excluded from emergency crisis meetings, before being whisked off Earth by Coldi people ...more
Laz the Sailor
Sep 29, 2016 Laz the Sailor rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
This is an exciting scifi political thriller, where an ambassador to a congress of many races finds out that it's even more complicated than it looks. There are machinations working against him, and supporting him in hidden ways. Mostly dramatic intrigue with few guns involved.

If you've read CJ Cherryh's Foreigner series, you'll find this very similar, if more direct.

I will read the next one.
Anna
Jun 12, 2016 Anna rated it liked it
3.5

This was a quick, well-written, action-driven novel. I literally read it in less than 24 hours. It starts off with a big bang, and together with a protagonist whose view of the world and attempts to make sense of it I found relatable, it quickly drew me in and never left me bored or wanting. There are some tidbits about cultural and language differences I really liked, and I was surprised how much I enjoyed the politics.

Why not a higher rating then? Well, it was more a political thriller than
Dave Versace
May 01, 2015 Dave Versace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seeing Red is the first volume of Patty Jansen’s Ambassador series, featuring Cory Wilson, Earth’s brash neophyte representative to an alien coalition called the gamra. About equal parts science fiction mystery and conspiracy thriller, with romance and social commentary subplots thrown in for good measure, Seeing Red is a delicious meal.

On the eve of his appointment as the ambassador of Nations of Earth to the alien gamra, an explosive assassination attempt propels Cory Wilson from Earth to the
Hope
DNF @ 9%

This was a Kindle Freebie, and it shows (to me, anyway). I have no idea what is going on, and the 1st person writing style isn't very well done. I gave it two chapters, but I have zero reasons to care about anything. I quit.
Amanda Bridgeman
Jul 04, 2015 Amanda Bridgeman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cat Sheely
Let me say that I found the story totally engrossing. Political intrigue, cultural misunderstandings, romance and danger. Everything one should get from a sci-fi book.

What this book lacked was a good editor. There were spelling mistakes, misuse of words (eg. hunkered instead of hankered), odd bits of prose in small type and some strange and seemingly unfinished sentences. This totally took me out of the book exclaiming TWF!

Also, the world-building was, for a first time reader, ad hoc. It took me
Jul 30, 2016 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Seeing Red by Patty Jansen is more than a science fiction book. She wastes no time in starting the excitement, mystery and intrigue. This is the first in her Ambassador series of books. Cory Wilson is an inexperienced, young and naive minor diplomat that has been assigned to represent Nations of Earth at the gamra which is the equivalent of the United Nations for planets. The book is as much an action thriller as it is science fiction. The book is about the start of Cory’s career and sets the ...more
Helen White
Jun 12, 2016 Helen White rated it really liked it
This book is fascinating because of the way it tackles the thought and behavior patterns of the different species that Corey deals with in his diplomatic role. It seems he manages to understand the aliens he meets better than the he understands the humans who sent him out as a diplomat in the first place. It is a fascinating read and I look forward to reading more of the series
Having said that there are a couple of irritatingly unbelievable moments first when he ignores an infected wound and sec
Claire
Jan 31, 2016 Claire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
This was really interesting - the first chapter does a really good job with dropping intriguing hints about the world building but without info-dumping. There's some really neat stuff going on with the alien species who're featured here, and the way they all interact, and the plot was smart/complex enough to keep me interested - it was engaging without being convoluted. I liked Cory as a character, and his idealism/desire to actually keep the peace and make the future better for all was an ...more
Darlene
Jun 19, 2016 Darlene rated it it was amazing
This was a great read. Action and intrigue. Corey Wilson is an ambassador stuck between two worlds. It's up to him to set the record straight. I thought the characters were well thought-out, and interesting. I liked the whole premise that in the future we would have ambassadors to other planets and not just countries. But, newly appointed Corey has his work cut out for him. To prove his ambassadorial planet was not responsible for the assassination of the Earth's president. I really enjoyed this ...more
Randy
Aug 09, 2016 Randy rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this episode in the Ambassador series. Cory Wilson is the ambassador who must try to avoid a major war between Earth and Asto. The President of the Nations of Earth is assassinated, and Cory's task is to determine who killed him. There is also some sexual tension as his zhayma, Nicha (a male Coldi) is imprisoned and temporarily replaced by Thayu (a female Coldi). Cory's past intimate association with another Coldi female only adds to the mix.

Even though this is book 1 of the se
Carol
Jun 04, 2016 Carol rated it really liked it
A Sci-Fi thriller mixed with political intrigue, literally
starts off with a “ Boom”. The explosion happens in the
office of the Nations of Earth President Sirkonen. He is
meeting with Cory Wilson, the new Earth's ambassador
to “gamra”- the united non-Earth nations alien coalition
who control interstellar travel. Who is responsible for the
bombing?
Wilson’s gamra partner has been arrested plus Cory is
under suspicion. Thus the story takes off at a startling fast
pace. Cory has to decide who can be
Austin Myers
Jan 20, 2016 Austin Myers rated it did not like it
Garbage

Read to 6 percent and quit before I became ill. Yeah, it's that bad. Filthy language with the F bomb thrown out at least once per page by a "supposed" expert in multiple languages with a high level of education as an ambassador able to expenses himself while remaining calm. To make it worse this super important man meeting with the president is ordered around by privates in the military and he obeys like a wimp. He has personal body guards that he can't speak to without fear of offending
Lushr
Jun 21, 2016 Lushr rated it liked it
Fascinating future where earth newly joins a network of planets and must find its way through political intrigue and spy thriller type danger via the protagonist, a new delegate for earth. (Young white male - surprise!)

I enjoyed reading about this world, the languages, the cultures, but the characters left me a bit cold, I particularly didn't enjoy the male perspective eyeing up his female co-worker... It just bothered me reading these descriptions of her body in such detail.. She hardly spoke a
William Van Oosten
Jul 13, 2014 William Van Oosten rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone.
I enjoyed this book immensely and must admit I read it twice. The plot is intriguing and very fast paced. Love the world building and cultural details that add so much to the plot and character's reactions and relationships. The way the sexual tension has been drawn adds both a bit of spice to the mix and a depth to the characters that would otherwise be missing. The main character is a complex soul and I want very much to meet his offsider. The technology is fascinating and realistically ...more
Thibaldo Manrique
Feb 16, 2016 Thibaldo Manrique rated it really liked it
A good political thriller based in the future

A good political thriller. It has a good assortment of well developed characters that move from one dangerous and treacherous situation to the next.

A solid universe, it rings true with the mundane things that make life pleasant...or uncomfortable.

I enjoyed it and, although not a page turner, it did kept me coming back for more.

I like that it is a stand alone book, although it clearly is a part of a series. Great job on the part of the author.

A solid
Brian
May 21, 2016 Brian rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished
A very good book ! Lots of action - it starts of with the assassination of.... Well that would be telling ! Lots of Sci-fi creativity, from gadgetry to a well developed and creative descriptions of various ET species, their customs, language, etc. Plus a realistic look at basic human nature.

All this in a complex plot that once explored by the hero seems to open up and lead further into the action. A very good read and recommended for the Sci-fi audience.
Peter Baran
Jul 12, 2016 Peter Baran rated it liked it
Montzalee Wittmann
Aug 16, 2016 Montzalee Wittmann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Ambassador: Seeing Red is a complex and exciting sci-fi novel. The plot is complex and the characters are well developed. There are lots of interesting imaginative species in the worlds that deal with each other. The book is a thriller, mystery, sci-fi, and has a dash of romance. Well crafted to make it feel like you know these aliens and it's normal to do business and live with them. Loved the book and the world created here.
John T. Dueker
Feb 22, 2016 John T. Dueker rated it it was ok
Not great

Could have been much better with work. The plot has too many impossible situations, for example the hero walks into the planet's presidents office with six armed guards versus one guard and a secretary, then hacks all of the files and the presidents response is he will file a protest??? It would have taken a lot of work to write a way to get this information but only three pages to do it this way.

I would encourage the author to be more methodical
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Space Opera Fans : Seeing Red by Patty Jansen 16 55 Nov 30, 2016 05:08AM
  • Rath's Deception (The Janus Group, #1)
  • Aurora: Darwin (Aurora, #1)
  • Quantum Tangle (Targon Tales)
  • First Strike (The Kurgan War, #1)
  • The Luck of Han'anga (War of the Second Iteration #1)
  • The Galapagos Incident (The Elfrida Goto Trilogy, #1)
  • Watersmeet (Twelve Baronies #1)
  • Rabbit Hole (The Paradox Series, #1)
  • Seventh Night
  • Cadet (Defender of the Empire #1)
  • Starship's Mage: Omnibus (Starship's Mage, #1)
  • The Conspiracy (Theft and Sorcery, #2)
  • The God Decrees
  • The Girl on the Swing
  • Starship Eternal (War Eternal, #1)
  • Mengliad (The Mengliad Series, #1)
  • The Last City (The Demon War Chronicles, #1)
  • First Conquest (Stellar Conquest, #1)
2920776
Author of Science Fiction and fantasy and non-fiction.

Author of the Ambassador series, the Icefire Trilogy, For Queen And Country series and the Return of the Aghyrians series.

Join the official newsletter
More about Patty Jansen...

Ambassador (6 books)
  • The Sahara Conspiracy (Ambassador, #1.5)
  • Raising Hell (Ambassador, #2)
  • Changing Fate (Ambassador, #3)
  • Coming Home (Ambassador, #4)
  • Blue Diamond Sky (Ambassador, #5)