Start by marking “The Dead Survivors: A Mars Bahr Mystery” as Want to Read:
The Dead Survivors: A Mars Bahr Mystery

The Dead Survivors: A Mars Bahr Mystery (Mars Bahr #2)

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  7 reviews
When Frank Beck, a sympathetic dreamer on a lifelong losing streak, is found hanged during a lonely Minnesota snowstorm, everyone assumes that he committed suicide. But Minneapolis Homicide Detective Marshall Bahr can't make sense of the numbers inscribed on Beck's right arm or the fact that a guy who was described as sloppy could tie a perfect hangman's
Published May 18th 2003 by Minotaur Books (first published March 11th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Dead Survivors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dead Survivors

Great read if you are a Civil War buff. Not so great read if you are looking for more suspense and action than continuous history lessons. I don't mind learning facts here and there as intertwined with a story, but in this case it seemed to take over the story.
I found the plot somewhat implausible and the story just dragged for me. However, I do like these characters a lot.
Mary Ahlgren
Interesting reading as the controversy over flying the confederate flag is raging.
I whipped through this as quickly as I did Third Person Singular, Erickson's debut novel. Wonderful! Erickson did a delightful job of keeping me guessing and throwing a juicy red-herring. She also continues to blend beautifully Mars' detective work with his personal life. In her hands, the personal stuff is rich, nuanced, and believable -- making the personal subplot just as interesting and engaging as the murder mystery.
.I hope the next two books of this series are better than this one. I had a really hard time getting into it and Mars flying here there and everwhere. Hard for me to get the drift of the story and keep up with the characters. Disappointed since I really enjoyed the first one.
Erickson's usual detective-fiction strengths here are complemented by the foray into the strange world of Civil-War leftovers, reenactors, and wannabes.
Amber Hester
Good book if you like mysteries.
Trudy Ackerblade
Trudy Ackerblade marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
Cheryl Johnson
Cheryl Johnson marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Nila Mudick
Nila Mudick marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Dordale marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Krista marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Melissa marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Kathy added it
Apr 02, 2014
Barb Nickelsen
Barb Nickelsen marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Mars Bahr (4 books)
  • Third Person Singular (Mars Bahr, #1)
  • The Last Witness (Mars Bahr, #3)
  • Alone at Night (Mars Bahr, #4)