Start by marking “The Dead Survivors: A Mars Bahr Mystery” as Want to Read:
The Dead Survivors: A Mars Bahr Mystery

The Dead Survivors: A Mars Bahr Mystery (Mars Bahr #2)

3.47  ·  Rating Details  ·  70 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
A SUSPICIOUS DEATH
When Frank Beck, a sympathetic dreamer on a lifelong losing streak, is found hanged during a lonely Minnesota snowstorm, everyone assumes that he committed suicide. But Minneapolis Homicide Detective Marshall Bahr can't make sense of the numbers inscribed on Beck's right arm or the fact that a guy who was described as sloppy could tie a perfect hangman's
Published May 18th 2003 by Minotaur Books (first published March 11th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Dead Survivors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dead Survivors

Eadie
Jan 16, 2016 Eadie rated it really liked it
Frank Beck, a man with terminal colon cancer, a new divorce, and a stack of debts, hangs himself. It's an open-and-shut suicide--except for a string of numbers inscribed on Beck's right arm. Minneapolis Homicide Detective Marshall Bahr can't make sense of the numbers or the fact that a guy everyone describes as sloppy tied a perfect hangman's noose for himself. But then he uncovers an obscure fact in the dead man's ancestry--a connection to the Battle of Gettysburg--and to make sense of its bear ...more
Felisa Rosa
Mar 08, 2016 Felisa Rosa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
An apparent suicide leads Detective Mars Bahr (wtf?) to discover a series of murders that seem linked to the Battle of Gettysburg. Set in Minnesota and Virginia, this book is atmospheric and populated with solid characters. I enjoyed the historical element of the plot, but there were quite a few plot holes and leaps of logic that annoyed me. That said, this was an enjoyable read.
Dt
Mar 19, 2015 Dt rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Great read if you are a Civil War buff. Not so great read if you are looking for more suspense and action than continuous history lessons. I don't mind learning facts here and there as intertwined with a story, but in this case it seemed to take over the story.
Susan
Mar 05, 2014 Susan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found the plot somewhat implausible and the story just dragged for me. However, I do like these characters a lot.
Mary Ahlgren
Jul 31, 2015 Mary Ahlgren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting reading as the controversy over flying the confederate flag is raging.
Jenna
Sep 15, 2009 Jenna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I whipped through this as quickly as I did Third Person Singular, Erickson's debut novel. Wonderful! Erickson did a delightful job of keeping me guessing and throwing a juicy red-herring. She also continues to blend beautifully Mars' detective work with his personal life. In her hands, the personal stuff is rich, nuanced, and believable -- making the personal subplot just as interesting and engaging as the murder mystery.
Kathy
Sep 11, 2010 Kathy rated it it was ok
.I hope the next two books of this series are better than this one. I had a really hard time getting into it and Mars flying here there and everwhere. Hard for me to get the drift of the story and keep up with the characters. Disappointed since I really enjoyed the first one.
E
Sep 19, 2008 E rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Erickson's usual detective-fiction strengths here are complemented by the foray into the strange world of Civil-War leftovers, reenactors, and wannabes.
Amber Hester
May 23, 2008 Amber Hester rated it liked it
Good book if you like mysteries.
Joyce
Joyce marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Kyle Anderson
Kyle Anderson rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Andrea O'keefe
Andrea O'keefe marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Bjgarbow
Bjgarbow rated it liked it
May 09, 2016
Bethany
Bethany marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Janet
Janet added it
Feb 01, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was ok
Jan 25, 2016
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Arlene
Arlene marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2015
Carol Polkowski
Carol Polkowski rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2015
Deb Serum
Deb Serum rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2015
Trudy Ackerblade
Trudy Ackerblade marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
Elizabeth Ruth
Elizabeth Ruth rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2015
Cheryl Johnson
Cheryl Johnson marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Nila Mudick
Nila Mudick marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Mars Bahr (4 books)
  • Third Person Singular (Mars Bahr, #1)
  • The Last Witness (Mars Bahr, #3)
  • Alone at Night (Mars Bahr, #4)