Start by marking “The Blessing Stone” as Want to Read:
The Blessing Stone

The Blessing Stone

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,058 Ratings  ·  103 Reviews
From the #1 internationally bestselling author comes a sweeping epic that chronicles the history of the world through the destiny of a mysterious blue stone.

Millions of years ago, a meteorite fell to earth and shattered, revealing a beautiful blue stone. One hundred thousand years ago, a girl named Tall One found the crystal on the African plain, and it formed her destiny—
Published January 20th 2003 by St. Martin's Press (first published September 5th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Blessing Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blessing Stone

GoldenjoyBazyll
Ever stand outside of an old house and wonder if this building could talk I bet it would have amazing stories to tell? Well, this book is sort of like that. I loved traveling through time with this very special stone. If you love a good jorney mixed with adventure and have a preference for the magical..... U will enjoy this read. I did!
Emily
Jul 19, 2012 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A novel of massive scope, following the journey of a piece of smooth, blue meteorite and those who temporarily possess it from the proto-human Tall One to a traveler on the Oregon Trail. In each story, the stone has a lesson to teach as humanity progresses. Much historical data is imparted while still reading like compelling fiction. Each protagonist is fully drawn and a genuine representative of his or her era. While I most enjoyed the story of Katharina and her journey, beginning in 1520, from ...more
Anastasia Light
Having, against all good advise, judged this book by its cover, I was entirely unprepared for what I found inside The Blessing Stone. Mistakenly, I believed the book to be just another pretty face; a book that would look attractive on the shelf until I'd had my wicked way with it and disposed of its tawdry remains.

From the turning of the first page until the last, this book OWNED me. I was spellbound, throughout.

Barbara Wood's ability to seamlessly chronicle the evolution of human thought and co
Barbara
Jun 11, 2010 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Millions of years ago, a meteorite fell to earth and shattered, revealing a beautiful blue stone. One hundred thousand years ago, a girl named Tall One found the crystal on the African plain, and it formed her destiny--as well as the destiny of generations to come. From ancient Israel to Imperial Rome, medieval England to 15th Century Germany and so on to the present, the destiny of the stone and the history of the world unfold. The Blessing Stone tells the details of the characters' lives and c ...more
Alex
Feb 01, 2010 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: goddesses and history buffs
This book arrived to my attention at the perfect moment. I was already in the depths of a Roman history self study, Netflixing as many documentaries on ancient Rome that I could find. How surprised I was to read a section on Roman life in Barbara Wood's "Blessing Stone." Now I'm finished gobbling up the Roman times, I am moving on to early civilization, thanks to this book perking my interest.

Most amazing to me is Ms. Wood's historical accuracy. She nails it. I really am a closeted history buff
Enikő
Dec 02, 2013 Enikő rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really did like this book very much, but it wasn't "the book for me" in the sense that I didn't like the shifts in time that took place between the various stories (Book One, Book Two, etc.) because I felt cut off from the characters I was just getting to know. Essentially, this book is like a lot of mini-novels combined. There were a few characters I would have stayed with for a little while longer.

Barbara Wood does write her stories well. I especially like Book One, about Tall One and her tr
Jenny January
Nov 29, 2012 Jenny January rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The Blessing Stone is a novel containing eight vignettes surrounding a blue stone that first made its way to earth 100,000 years ago in Africa as a fragment of a blue meteorite. It breaks off and becomes smoothed and polished by the earth and is found by a woman. It chronicles the existence of the blue stone as it makes its way through thousands of years and into the hands of many people and the significance it holds for each owner of the stone. I won’t describe each book because it would take f
Georgette
Jan 08, 2009 Georgette rated it really liked it
Once upon a time, in the earliest of time as a matter of fact, a meteor fell to the earth. It contained a beautiful blue stone which was picked up on the African plains by a primitive human girl called Tall One (named for obvious reasons). [return][return]The stone granted her certain power over her tribe, and gave her the push she needed into following her instincts, thus setting into motion the evolution of the human race.[return][return]Tall One passed on, as did the stone. It played a signif ...more
Emily Decobert
Apr 09, 2013 Emily Decobert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Blessing Stone is a series of stories connected by a single factor, an amazing stone created by a metorite millions of years ago. It begins with a Neandthral who finds the stone in the Rift Valley of Africa and the stone travels on and on, dropping out of history for many years only to emerge in the next short story. This book crosses time and country as easily as a stone can travel in a pocket, showing up in a variety of places, each time changing the people it touches who in some way affec ...more
Sandra Grauschopf
Apr 10, 2012 Sandra Grauschopf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
I thought this book had an intriguing premise. A long time ago, a meteorite crashed to earth. In the heat of the atmosphere, an unusual crystal was formed -- deep blue with a diamond heart. This crystal shaped both individual lives and human history, and was viewed both as a blessing and a curse.

The book is made up of loosely-connected short stories. I'm not a huge fan of short stories, but these were pretty impressive. Each was interesting in its own way. Plus, the short story format made it a
Alex
Mar 12, 2015 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really creative book! I thoroughly enjoyed the "trip through history" as I piggybacked through time with the ethereal Blessing Stone in the pages of this book.

POSITIVES:
-SUPER creative
-Entertaining
-Well-paced
-Fascinating perspective on history
-Loved how the characters the stone passed down through were described and plotted
-Great descriptive writing
-Almost complete absence of foul language

NEGATIVES:
-A bit of sexual content periodically that I felt was unnecessary for the plot
-The plot was occasi
Jen (The Bookavid)
Originally Published On My Review Blog The Bookavid

In THE BLESSING STONE, a magical blue stone gets handed down from generation to generation and helps eight women pursue their dreams.

What intrigued me: I read and enjoyed THE DREAMING and YESTERDAY'S CHILD by her. She's the only author whose history-inspired books I'll ever read.

Wait, these are short stories!

Essentially, this is a short story collection. The only thing all eight stories have in common is that the blue stone impacts all eight wom
Jane
Mar 05, 2012 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This took a little while for me to get into and I wasn't sure I was going to like it. Each period of time has new characters and situations that you become familiar with, go on adventures with and then leave behind. But when looking back at the end of the book(or from the present time through the past) you can see how they all went through similar challenges and relationships and see how the blue stone affected each in a different way.
Zoltán
Másokkal ellentétben én ezt a könyvet egy kifejezetten sikerült, megfelelően kidolgozott, szépirodalmi igényességgel megszerkesztett írásműnek találom. Ragyogó ötlet, hogy egy valójában élettelen valami, egy pusztán egyedi anyaga miatt érdekessé vált kő sorsát követve az emberré válás kezdeteitől egészen napjainkig, számos egyéni életút epizódjaiba pillanthatunk bele, kezdve történetileg jegyzett események krónikáitól a legbelsőbb érzelmeivel birkózó polgár gyötrelmeiig. Az egymástól független t ...more
Kate
Jan 03, 2010 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this historical fiction that follows a piece of metoric rock through 300,000 years of earth history,including a series of owners. Found it very interesting and hard to put down. Hated to see it end. I have discovered Barbara Wood as an author and am loving her style and inventive story-telling abilities.
Abigail
Feb 02, 2011 Abigail rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is almost like a collection of short stories except they are all connected by the Blessing Stone which becomes a character itself. The stories are all interesting in their own way and Wood writes about fascinating people and times.
Vivian
Oct 21, 2012 Vivian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From how the stone was created in the beginning… thru wonderful Characters like Tall One, Laliari, avram, Lady Amelia, mother Winiferd courage, Katharina hop, Matthew master of his own destiny, the stone is many things to these characters.
Annie
Feb 18, 2016 Annie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love it when I find a new author that I really enjoy. Barbara Wood definitely has a knack for storytelling. This book is comprised of eight short stories. Each story is set in a different time and place in our history following the owners of a beautiful blue gem. The first two stories reminded me of the book Clan of the Cave Bear, which is another book that I really enjoyed. The first story was set in Africa 100,000 years ago, and the second in the Near East 35,000 years ago. The author quickl ...more
Alexandra
Jun 22, 2009 Alexandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great book! This book contains so many stories within, not just one, and they are all very intriging(spell?)! I couldnt stop thinking about most of the characters and definatly didnt want to put it down....one of those ones!
Maritha Burmeister
This is the first novel I have read of Barbara Wood's. It spans millenia, and 425 pages divided into eight "Books", each book in a different era from 3,000,000 years ago to the 1800's in the US. The books and story lines are tied together by a mysterious and powerful blue crystal that arrived in a meteor three million years ago and was passed from one era and one family to the next.

Ms Wood seamlessly adds historical facts into each era, reflecting her wide ranging research. Though I found myself
Shelly Kotalik
Feb 25, 2009 Shelly Kotalik rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: barbara-wood
A bunch of shorter stories in one all tied together by a mysterious stone. It spans the times from prehistoric man on. I really loved this book!!!
James Thelman
Mar 18, 2011 James Thelman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great drama! I really love Barbara Wood's style of writing and it's so much fun following her characters through time. Highly, highly recommend.
Joann
Dec 19, 2008 Joann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It was such an interesting read. It was great traveling through time.
I recommend it to everyone.
Elizabeth
Sep 26, 2009 Elizabeth added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone, but especially women
This is one of my top ten best books I have every read. Travel with the stone through different times. It is wonderful.
Joana
Feb 02, 2011 Joana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Toda esta obra é um belo desfilar de personagens, vidas e realidades históricas. O livro pretende contar a história da humanidade a partir do percurso de uma misteriosa pedra azul, começando nos tempos mais remotos da pré-história. A pedra, que resultou do embate de um meteoro com a superfície terrestre, nos primórdios do tempo, foi passando de mão em mão ao longo dos tempos, tendo marcado todos os seus donos, pela sua extrema e beleza e pelos poderes mágicos que estes invariavelmente lhe reconh ...more
Yang Shu-yuan
Vor drei Millionen Jahre ist er aus Sternenstaub entstanden: ein glatter, ovaler, tiefblauer Kristall. 2,9 Millionen Jahre ruht er, bis eine Jägerin der Homo sapiens ihn findet. Von nun an wird er den Menschen, die ihn besitzen, die Kraft geben, ihren Träumen zu folgen.
Da bekommt vor 35.000 Jahren Laliari von einem Neandertaler den Stein geschenkt und steigt mit dessen Hilfe zur mächtigsten Frau im Clan auf. Avram, ein Junge aus dem Jordan-Tal vor 10.000 Jahren, stiehlt den Stein aus Liebeskumme
Nuno Magalhães
Em "A Pedra Abençoada" Barbara Wood construiu um texto que nos relata oito momentos chave da História Universal da Humanidade, usando como fio condutor o trajecto percorrido por um pedra azul que "teve origem numa explosão cataclísmica de proporções estelares" ocorrida há 3000000 anos no espaço profundo. Esta ideia parece inicialmente um pouco pueril, mas o desenrolar dos acontecimentos rapidamente nos absorve a atenção. Trata-se de facto de uma estratégia muito inteligente encontrada pela autor ...more
Francine
May 10, 2014 Francine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Barbara Wood tells a story well! This is a long saga with lots of components. My favorite is the one featuring the nun in the near ruined monastery who produces illuminated manuscripts. Manipulated and mistreated by her bishop she manages to protect her little congregation and finds a measure of independence for herself. I love a strong woman tale from the Medieval period; would have loved to know her!
Michael Alan Grapin
Millions of years ago a meteor crashes to earth bearing a blue crystal that is believed to be imbued with mystical properties by those who come in contact with it. In a series of stories that encompass the rise of human civilization over the course of a hundred thousand we follow the lives of eight outstanding individuals who each find inspiration within that ancient crystal. A fantastic flight of fancy and a very enjoyable read.
Felicia
This is a fantastic sweeping historical drama. You are transported through time with the blessing stone being the connection. Starting with Tall One in Prehistoric times, she finds the stone. She thinks it is water in a stone and saves Old Mother with it. Travel through time with the stone, it is a wonderful trip.
  • Dream Weaver
  • Call Down the Stars
  • Daughter of Kura: A Novel
  • Circles of Stone (Mother People, #1)
  • The Courtesan (The Dark Queen Saga, #2)
  • The Fourth Queen
  • Hottentot Venus: A Novel
  • Sugar and Other Stories
  • Sunrise on the Mediterranean (Time Travel, #3)
  • Shadows on the Aegean (Time Travel, #2)
  • The Year the Horses Came
  • A Dream in Polar Fog
  • The Burning Times
  • Circle of Stars (Circle, #2)
  • Parallel World
  • The Fool's Tale
  • The Children of First Man
  • Balshazzar's Serpent (Three Kings, #1)
Barbara Wood was born on 30 January 1947 in Warrington, Lancashire, England, UK. Together with her parents and older brother, she immigrated to the United States. She grew up in Southern California and attended Los Angeles Schools. After High School, Barbara attended the University of California at Santa Barbara but left to train as a surgical technician. During this time, Barbara held numerous jo ...more
More about Barbara Wood...

“The poor prayed to become rich, and the rich prayed to become richer.” 1 likes