Start by marking “The Blessing Stone” as Want to Read:
The Blessing Stone

The Blessing Stone

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  982 ratings  ·  94 reviews
From the #1 internationally bestselling author comes a sweeping epic that chronicles the history of the world through the destiny of a mysterious blue stone.

Millions of years ago, a meteorite fell to earth and shattered, revealing a beautiful blue stone. One hundred thousand years ago, a girl named Tall One found the crystal on the African plain, and it formed her destiny—
Published January 20th 2003 by St. Martin's Press (first published September 5th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Blessing Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blessing Stone

Ever stand outside of an old house and wonder if this building could talk I bet it would have amazing stories to tell? Well, this book is sort of like that. I loved traveling through time with this very special stone. If you love a good jorney mixed with adventure and have a preference for the magical..... U will enjoy this read. I did!
A novel of massive scope, following the journey of a piece of smooth, blue meteorite and those who temporarily possess it from the proto-human Tall One to a traveler on the Oregon Trail. In each story, the stone has a lesson to teach as humanity progresses. Much historical data is imparted while still reading like compelling fiction. Each protagonist is fully drawn and a genuine representative of his or her era. While I most enjoyed the story of Katharina and her journey, beginning in 1520, from ...more
Naked Consciousness
Having, against all good advise, judged this book by its cover, I was entirely unprepared for what I found inside The Blessing Stone. Mistakenly, I believed the book to be just another pretty face; a book that would look attractive on the shelf until I'd had my wicked way with it and disposed of its tawdry remains.

From the turning of the first page until the last, this book OWNED me. I was spellbound, throughout.

Barbara Wood's ability to seamlessly chronicle the evolution of human thought and co
Millions of years ago, a meteorite fell to earth and shattered, revealing a beautiful blue stone. One hundred thousand years ago, a girl named Tall One found the crystal on the African plain, and it formed her destiny--as well as the destiny of generations to come. From ancient Israel to Imperial Rome, medieval England to 15th Century Germany and so on to the present, the destiny of the stone and the history of the world unfold. The Blessing Stone tells the details of the characters' lives and c ...more
Feb 01, 2010 Alex rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: goddesses and history buffs
This book arrived to my attention at the perfect moment. I was already in the depths of a Roman history self study, Netflixing as many documentaries on ancient Rome that I could find. How surprised I was to read a section on Roman life in Barbara Wood's "Blessing Stone." Now I'm finished gobbling up the Roman times, I am moving on to early civilization, thanks to this book perking my interest.

Most amazing to me is Ms. Wood's historical accuracy. She nails it. I really am a closeted history buff
Jenny January

The Blessing Stone is a novel containing eight vignettes surrounding a blue stone that first made its way to earth 100,000 years ago in Africa as a fragment of a blue meteorite. It breaks off and becomes smoothed and polished by the earth and is found by a woman. It chronicles the existence of the blue stone as it makes its way through thousands of years and into the hands of many people and the significance it holds for each owner of the stone. I won’t describe each book because it would take f
Once upon a time, in the earliest of time as a matter of fact, a meteor fell to the earth. It contained a beautiful blue stone which was picked up on the African plains by a primitive human girl called Tall One (named for obvious reasons). [return][return]The stone granted her certain power over her tribe, and gave her the push she needed into following her instincts, thus setting into motion the evolution of the human race.[return][return]Tall One passed on, as did the stone. It played a signif ...more
I really did like this book very much, but it wasn't "the book for me" in the sense that I didn't like the shifts in time that took place between the various stories (Book One, Book Two, etc.) because I felt cut off from the characters I was just getting to know. Essentially, this book is like a lot of mini-novels combined. There were a few characters I would have stayed with for a little while longer.

Barbara Wood does write her stories well. I especially like Book One, about Tall One and her tr
Emily Decobert
The Blessing Stone is a series of stories connected by a single factor, an amazing stone created by a metorite millions of years ago. It begins with a Neandthral who finds the stone in the Rift Valley of Africa and the stone travels on and on, dropping out of history for many years only to emerge in the next short story. This book crosses time and country as easily as a stone can travel in a pocket, showing up in a variety of places, each time changing the people it touches who in some way affec ...more
Sandra Grauschopf
I thought this book had an intriguing premise. A long time ago, a meteorite crashed to earth. In the heat of the atmosphere, an unusual crystal was formed -- deep blue with a diamond heart. This crystal shaped both individual lives and human history, and was viewed both as a blessing and a curse.

The book is made up of loosely-connected short stories. I'm not a huge fan of short stories, but these were pretty impressive. Each was interesting in its own way. Plus, the short story format made it a
Really creative book! I thoroughly enjoyed the "trip through history" as I piggybacked through time with the ethereal Blessing Stone in the pages of this book.

-SUPER creative
-Fascinating perspective on history
-Loved how the characters the stone passed down through were described and plotted
-Great descriptive writing
-Almost complete absence of foul language

-A bit of sexual content periodically that I felt was unnecessary for the plot
-The plot was occasi
This took a little while for me to get into and I wasn't sure I was going to like it. Each period of time has new characters and situations that you become familiar with, go on adventures with and then leave behind. But when looking back at the end of the book(or from the present time through the past) you can see how they all went through similar challenges and relationships and see how the blue stone affected each in a different way.
I thoroughly enjoyed this historical fiction that follows a piece of metoric rock through 300,000 years of earth history,including a series of owners. Found it very interesting and hard to put down. Hated to see it end. I have discovered Barbara Wood as an author and am loving her style and inventive story-telling abilities.
This book is almost like a collection of short stories except they are all connected by the Blessing Stone which becomes a character itself. The stories are all interesting in their own way and Wood writes about fascinating people and times.
From how the stone was created in the beginning… thru wonderful Characters like Tall One, Laliari, avram, Lady Amelia, mother Winiferd courage, Katharina hop, Matthew master of his own destiny, the stone is many things to these characters.
What a great book! This book contains so many stories within, not just one, and they are all very intriging(spell?)! I couldnt stop thinking about most of the characters and definatly didnt want to put it of those ones!
Maritha Burmeister
This is the first novel I have read of Barbara Wood's. It spans millenia, and 425 pages divided into eight "Books", each book in a different era from 3,000,000 years ago to the 1800's in the US. The books and story lines are tied together by a mysterious and powerful blue crystal that arrived in a meteor three million years ago and was passed from one era and one family to the next.

Ms Wood seamlessly adds historical facts into each era, reflecting her wide ranging research. Though I found myself
Shelly Kotalik
A bunch of shorter stories in one all tied together by a mysterious stone. It spans the times from prehistoric man on. I really loved this book!!!
James Thelman
Great drama! I really love Barbara Wood's style of writing and it's so much fun following her characters through time. Highly, highly recommend.
I loved this book. It was such an interesting read. It was great traveling through time.
I recommend it to everyone.
Sep 26, 2009 Elizabeth added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone, but especially women
This is one of my top ten best books I have every read. Travel with the stone through different times. It is wonderful.
Toda esta obra é um belo desfilar de personagens, vidas e realidades históricas. O livro pretende contar a história da humanidade a partir do percurso de uma misteriosa pedra azul, começando nos tempos mais remotos da pré-história. A pedra, que resultou do embate de um meteoro com a superfície terrestre, nos primórdios do tempo, foi passando de mão em mão ao longo dos tempos, tendo marcado todos os seus donos, pela sua extrema e beleza e pelos poderes mágicos que estes invariavelmente lhe reconh ...more
Yang Shu-yuan
Vor drei Millionen Jahre ist er aus Sternenstaub entstanden: ein glatter, ovaler, tiefblauer Kristall. 2,9 Millionen Jahre ruht er, bis eine Jägerin der Homo sapiens ihn findet. Von nun an wird er den Menschen, die ihn besitzen, die Kraft geben, ihren Träumen zu folgen.
Da bekommt vor 35.000 Jahren Laliari von einem Neandertaler den Stein geschenkt und steigt mit dessen Hilfe zur mächtigsten Frau im Clan auf. Avram, ein Junge aus dem Jordan-Tal vor 10.000 Jahren, stiehlt den Stein aus Liebeskumme
Nuno Magalhães
Em "A Pedra Abençoada" Barbara Wood construiu um texto que nos relata oito momentos chave da História Universal da Humanidade, usando como fio condutor o trajecto percorrido por um pedra azul que "teve origem numa explosão cataclísmica de proporções estelares" ocorrida há 3000000 anos no espaço profundo. Esta ideia parece inicialmente um pouco pueril, mas o desenrolar dos acontecimentos rapidamente nos absorve a atenção. Trata-se de facto de uma estratégia muito inteligente encontrada pela autor ...more
Barbara Wood tells a story well! This is a long saga with lots of components. My favorite is the one featuring the nun in the near ruined monastery who produces illuminated manuscripts. Manipulated and mistreated by her bishop she manages to protect her little congregation and finds a measure of independence for herself. I love a strong woman tale from the Medieval period; would have loved to know her!
This is a fantastic sweeping historical drama. You are transported through time with the blessing stone being the connection. Starting with Tall One in Prehistoric times, she finds the stone. She thinks it is water in a stone and saves Old Mother with it. Travel through time with the stone, it is a wonderful trip.
Forrest Gump? The Earth's Children series? Michener? This book was evocative of all of them... it just fell short.

It's fantastic... but not in the informal sense. It's fantastic as in being created by unrestrained imagination. That's not all good, but it isn't all bad, either. There were parts of the book I loved, but there was always the niggling thought that everything was too special, too extraordinary, too contrived.

I'll read some more of the author's books, because some of her underlying co
I enjoyed reading this book a lot. Every story from another era is wonderful, and has exactly the right length. i love all the heroines in the book, and the way the stone finds its way through history. I admire the way the writer can write historical novelles about so many different pArts of history. A bit like Cloud Atlas.
This book was recommended to me by a friend and was a bit difficult to stay "into" for a sustained period of time. It reminded me initially a lot of the Clan of the Cavebear series but quickly changed to a more historical and current slant. If you've seen the movie "Red Violin" it's similar in concept.... follows an ancient blue stone the purports to hold the elixir of life from caveman times to current. It's divided into sections by time period and has an epic feel to it as the stone is passed ...more
I was so pleasantly surprised by The Blessing Stone. Wood weaves loosely and tightly interconnected short stories that center around an ancient blue stone, whose powers reflect the strength and choices of each protagonist.

The book is also a powerful herald to feminine strength, exploring themes of female relationships, motherhood, sex and procreation, and the everlasting impact of women, stamped through history. Woods even directly discusses it herself in Book 4's Ancient Rome chapter - one sni
  • Picture Maker
  • Daughter of Kura: A Novel
  • Twilight of a Queen (The Dark Queen Saga, #5)
  • Call Down the Stars
  • Circles of Stone (Mother People, #1)
  • The Fourth Queen
  • Hottentot Venus: A Novel
  • Sunrise on the Mediterranean (Time Travel, #3)
  • Circle of Stars (Circle, #2)
  • The Reindeer Hunters (Reindeer Hunters, #3)
  • Sugar and Other Stories
  • Shadows on the Aegean (Time Travel, #2)
  • Reindeer Moon (Reindeer Moon, #1)
  • The Year the Horses Came
  • Lucrezia Borgia
  • The Burning Times
  • Serendipity Market
  • Too Great a Lady: The Notorious, Glorious Life of Emma, Lady Hamilton
Barbara Wood was born on 30 January 1947 in Warrington, Lancashire, England, UK. Together with her parents and older brother, she immigrated to the United States. She grew up in Southern California and attended Los Angeles Schools. After High School, Barbara attended the University of California at Santa Barbara but left to train as a surgical technician. During this time, Barbara held numerous jo ...more
More about Barbara Wood...

“The poor prayed to become rich, and the rich prayed to become richer.” 1 likes