Start by marking “The Nanny Murders (A Zoe Hayes Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
The Nanny Murders (A Zoe Hayes Mystery #1)
Open Preview read ebook

The Nanny Murders (A Zoe Hayes Mystery #1)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  247 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Zoe Hayes, who works as an art therapist in an institute for seriously deranged patients, is the single mother of an adopted and adorable little girl named Molly. Zoe gets involved in the missing nannies case when Molly, playing in the snow, makes a grisly discovery—She finds a piece of litter that turns out to be a human finger.

One of Zoe’s neighbors (but which one?) seem
Published August 1st 2006 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published May 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Nanny Murders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nanny Murders

Bev Walkling
This was a rather odd mystery book in many ways and it took me awhile to get into it. The main character, an art therapist who works at a mental institution is narrating the story. She lives in a not so nice neighbourhood with her adopted daughter and local nannies are disappearing from the area with increasing frequency. When her daughter finds a bloody finger out in the snow it all moves very close to home. She likes the new detective Nick, but can she trust him? Charlie says there is evil aro ...more
Nancy
Very boring and I had to work exceptionally hard to keep my head in the game, but the very end was quite creepy and almost had me wanting to give the book a higher rating.

Zoe Hayes, the lead character, lives in an upper class close-knit Philadelphia neighborhood where the local nannies begin to disappear. Zoe, an art therapist in a mental hospital, and her daughter are quickly thrown into the foray when Molly finds a human finger in the snow and with this clue, Zoe knows that the serial killer
Abbey
#1 Zoe Hayes, art therapist; amateur sleuth, dark cosy. A woman drifting through life puts herself and her daughter in jeopardy when nannies start disappearing and body parts begin to turn up in her neighborhood.

I was afraid this was a mommy-track "cute!!!" mystery, centered around precious kids and their plush lifestyles and schedules, something I’m not fond of. But although the first hundred pages are almost excruciatingly slow, they aren't bad, and by page 150 things really get moving and th
Michelle Robinson
This book was described as in the tradition of Mary Higgins Clark.

However, I found Zoe to be far less intelligent than most of Higgin Clark's charachters.

She becomes unreasonably angry with a man that she has known only a short time because he does not confide all of his personal secrets or work related secrets to her. She call him dishonest repeatedly. I found myself shaking my head at this. Would she divulge work related information to almost a virtual stranger just because she was sexually a
I liked this book because it was set in Philadelphia, a city I know well, and mentioned the Pink Rose (now closed) an awesome pastry shop that brings back many dating memories :) But as for the book, it only earned 3 stars in my eyes because it was disjointed-I think (this being a debut novel) that the author is talented but tried to do too much and succeeded in doing less because the plot line drifted and the characters, well, acted "out of character" and were not fully developed, especially Zo ...more
PSmith
Another quickie thriller by an author I hadn't heard of. I love exploring new authors as I am new to their methodologies and twists and turns occur when least expected. This story deals with a single mother of a 5 year old adopted girl, who gets blown into a whirlwind investigation of disappearing nannies in the neighbourhood, where all neighbours, especially males are suspects. She also is attracted to the handsome detective who is leading the case, and who has a few dark secrets of his own. Th ...more
Mackenzie
This is Merry Jones' debut novel and to say the least, it was stunning. I loved every minute of it and had trouble putting it down. The plot was well put together and I found the characters to be very believable. Zoe is such an amazing mother, friend and art therapist. She's someone you'd love to have in your life as she is quite stable and generally, lovable.

Merry Jones really had be going, trying to figure out who the Nannynapper was. I had an idea of who it could be, but new information kept
Marie
This book was immensely entertaining and wonderful. The main character, Zoe Hayes, is so believable and human. You'd want her in your life. She loves her adopted daughter, loathes her ex, is taunted by her unused stairmaster, and when a sexy yet secretive detective enters her life she is realistically doubtful. Of course, this is a murder mystery, and the Philly neighborhood, with all if its quirks and quirky neighbors, is the perfect setting for weird. Don't miss this one!
Michelle Plass
This book had such an interesting premise and I was immediatly drawn into the mystery. However, I felt like that author completely let go of the mystery and turned it into a romance novel. The main character irked me because she couldn't have an honest conversation with the man she's supposed to be dating, gives in to her exhusband and lets him walk all over her AND makes decisions that no sane mother would make.
Laren
This started out slow then which should have been a warning. There was not just one, but THREE implausible endings, all wrapped up together at the end (good for horror stories, not so much for mysteries). By the time I got to the real end of the book, I was exhausted and couldn't believe the main character didn't need years of therapy starting immediately.
Susan
I enjoy "cozies" and any mystery where I learn about a new world, whether that that be about Italy or fashion or Pennsylvania Dutch cooking or medieval history. I chose to read this novel because it was set in Philadelphia. I did like the local color. However, there was too much going on in the book and the characters and situations weren't realistic enough for me.
Mascanlon
Zoe Hates, is witty, single mom who springs into action to protect her daughter and her neighborhood. The thing that kept this from being a 4 in my scale is the "bright heroine, stupid move" syndrome. I do so hate when the characters put themselves at risk by doing ridiculous things, like heading into the lions den and hoping he doesn't wake up.
Delane
Jun 23, 2013 Delane rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
this one got good reviews from authors i enjoy reading. the story was a good one, but i almost didn't finish it because it has a bit of a slow start. then the ending felt a bit rushed and disjointed. i will look forward to her next book and the continuing story of zoe
Kristen
A great book - I didn't figure out exactly who the killer was, but I didn't fall for the red herring! Very entertaining, not overwhelming with gory details, and I'm excited to find out that it's the first in a series. I'll definitely be looking up the other novels!
Alissa
Needed more character development. I didn't find it too believable. Couplf of red herrings and actual solution came too quickly, almost like "oh I've run out of pages."
Marie
This book was just okay. It held my interest, but certainly was not one that I could not put down. I enjoyed the extra twists and turns at the end.
K.B. Inglee
Loved the local color, since it is set a few miles from where I live. I found the protagonist believable. Love her relationship with her daughter.
Kelly

Mystery Fan? Check out the Zoe Hayes series. The first one perfectly blends the world of single motherhood with amateur sleuthing.
Marisa
Very fast paced and it kept my attention the whole way through. I did not want to put this book down!
Justin
It was a nice read but it kinda got confusing cuz there were like 3 storylines moments happening at once
Leah
This was an easy read - it is the author's first novel, and I thought it was a pretty good mystery.
Ashley
Very good murder mystery book with surprise ending!!!
Angie crosby
Never held my attention. I read this simply to read it.
Shannon
Aug 04, 2008 Shannon rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of suspense
Great beginning to a great series
Annastacia Shupe
Loved it from the first page!
Jackie Simons
Read 6/05
whishgirl
whishgirl marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
  • The Replacement Child (Gil Montoya Mystery #1)
  • French Polished Murder (A Daring Finds Mystery, #2)
  • Motherhood is Murder (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #2)
  • Death Takes a Honeymoon (Carnegie Kincaid, #4)
  • 2 in the Hat: A Novel of Suspense
  • Glossed and Found (A Bath and Body Mystery, #3)
  • Guise & Dolls (Gretchen Birch, #4)
  • Extracurricular Activities (A Murder 101 Mystery #2)
  • Antiques Flee Market (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #3)
  • Getting Old Is the Best Revenge (Gladdy Gold, #2)
  • Missing Mark (Riley Spartz, #2)
  • Scoop to Kill (A Mystery a La Mode, #2)
  • Arsenic and Old Paint (An Art Lover's Mystery, #4)
  • Foul Play at the PTA  (Beth Kennedy #2)
  • Elvis And The Memphis Mambo Murders
  • Preaching to the Corpse (Advice Column Mystery, #2)
  • Murder at the Academy Awards: A Red Carpet Murder Mystery
  • Cut to the Corpse (A Decoupage Mystery, #2)
AKA Merry Bloch Jones.

Merry Jones has been writing since she was old enough to hold a pencil. "If I don't write," she says, "over time, I get agitated and irritable, as if energy is building up inside and I have to let it out."

Accordingly, over the years, she has written a wide range of material, in a variety of styles and for diverse media. She began her career by spending about fifteen years wri
More about Merry Jones...
The River Killings (A Zoe Hayes Mystery #2) The Trouble With Charlie (Elle Harrison, #1) The Deadly Neighbors (A Zoe Hayes Mystery #3) Summer Session (Harper Jennings #1) The Borrowed and Blue Murders (A Zoe Hayes Mystery #4)