Start by marking “The Poems Of Richard Wilbur” as Want to Read:
The Poems Of Richard Wilbur

The Poems Of Richard Wilbur

This collection includes Advice to a Prophet and Other Poems, Things of This World, Ceremony and Other Poems, and The Beautiful Changes and Other Poems. "One of the best poets of his generation, Richard Wilbur has imagined excellence, and has created it" (Richard Eberhart, New York Times Book Review).
Published September 25th 1963 by Mariner Books (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about The Poems Of Richard Wilbur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Poems Of Richard Wilbur

John
Jan 19, 2015 John is currently reading it
I have been reading Richard Wilbur for about 30 years now. I generally do not like to read poetry from any e-reader. I prefer the printed page upon which to absorb the poem.

Having said that, I wanted to revisit Wilbur and thought one of his books on my Nook would be a good idea. This book is a good collection of several of his books.

His poems are very readable. The language is beautiful -- a very tempered use of rhyme, meter, varying forms. In my opinion, the finest living poet we have, by far.

T
J. Alfred
Jun 08, 2015 J. Alfred rated it really liked it
I've seen Wilbur in a number of anthologies, which makes him, together with Auden and possibly Maya Angelou, about the only post-1960s poets on whom we have any consensus that this person is good and deserves to be read by future generations. I tend to think he deserves the honor. I can imagine a grizzled older Modernist saying of him, as elder-statesman Shaq is said to have opined on the young Paul Pierce, "he's the [compound adjective deleted] Truth."
Check out his "Love Calls Us to the Things
Денис Бурчаков
Apr 18, 2016 Денис Бурчаков rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Well, Mr. Wilbur is nice and pretty contemporary. But unfortunately his writings are so behind russian poetic tradition, that I can only pity anglophones, for whom poets like Wilbur are pinnacles of modern poetry.
Jeremy
Jul 19, 2011 Jeremy rated it really liked it
I don't pretend to understand or get everything Wilbur is doing here, but there are numerous gems that I'm hoping I'll return to over the years.
Michael Borshuk
Aug 05, 2010 Michael Borshuk rated it it was amazing
Even any superlatives I could offer would seem so silly, given Wilbur's stature. I'll leave it at this: one of the titans.
Laurie
Jan 22, 2013 Laurie rated it it was amazing
By far, the best poet still writing today.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Laura Marie
Laura Marie is currently reading it
Aug 09, 2016
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Andrei
Andrei rated it really liked it
May 20, 2016
Danielle
Danielle rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2016
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Marcel
Marcel marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Emmie
Emmie marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Tehreem Rahat
Tehreem Rahat rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Mouza
Mouza marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Gloria Sun
Gloria Sun marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Theodore Brundage
Theodore Brundage rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2016
Kate Rogers
Kate Rogers is currently reading it
Mar 10, 2016
Sobia
Sobia rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2016
Philip Lenzen
Philip Lenzen marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
Tamara Hill Murphy
Tamara Hill Murphy marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Anna Kramer
Anna Kramer marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
Eric Cartier
Eric Cartier marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Owen Lucas
Owen Lucas rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2016
Lindsay Bee
Lindsay Bee marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Bryan
Bryan added it
Jan 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Early years :

Wilbur was born in New York City and grew up in North Caldwell, New Jersey.He graduated from Montclair High School in 1938, having worked on the school newspaper as a student there. He graduated from Amherst College in 1942 and then served in the United States Army from 1943 to 1945 during World War II. After the Army and graduate school at Harvard University, Wilbur taught at Wesleya
More about Richard Wilbur...