Start by marking “Lord, I Want to Know You: A Devotional Study on the Names of God” as Want to Read:
Lord, I Want to Know You: A Devotional Study on the Names of God

Lord, I Want to Know You: A Devotional Study on the Names of God (Devotional Study )

4.41 of 5 stars 4.41  ·  rating details  ·  1,576 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Discover the Limitless Power of God's Name.

Enjoy the expanded and updated editions of the best-selling "Lord" Bible Study Series from Kay Arthur.The "Lord" study series is an insightful, warm-hearted Bible study series designed to meet readers where they are--and help them discover God's answers to their deepest needs.

So much of our confusion and pain results because we d
Published November 21st 2000 by WaterBrook Press (first published December 31st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Lord, I Want to Know You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lord, I Want to Know You

Kesch
I really enjoyed this study again. I had gone through this book when I was in college and didn't really have the time to finish it completely. This time as well I missed the last 3 chapters. But I got a lot further.

Every day that I did this study a new situation presented itself in direct coorelation to the material. And it gave me in each name a more developed and whole knowledge of the Lord and who He really is.

I'm glad I did the study again.
Kelli
Knowledgable. Going thru this devotional is very interesting and the text in the bible that is provided flows really well with what Kay Arthur is talking about. The names of God is something that has always been fascinating, and this just makes you love each name much more than before.
Violeta Quirino
Los Diferentes nombres de Dios el significado de esos nombres y Que Dios es omnipotente, creador y gobernador de nuestras vidas. Me a ayudado a descargar mis preocupaciones en el y confiar en que Dios esta en control.
Susie
What a GREAT Bible Study and a wonderful group of people. My relationship with Jesus Christ is the best it has ever been.
Margaret Boehm
excellent book learning the attributes(names) of God and how they affect our lives.
Isis Lee
I read this for a Bible study. I don't think it lends itself well to group discussion but to be fair we got off track a lot. I think this book took an interesting topic and made it boring by being very repetitive and asking questions that were so simple that you over think them to the point of annoyance because it seems so basic it makes no sense to even be asked as a question. It's not a terrible book and definitely covers an interesting topic but could be written better.
Ginger
First of all, I'll start by saying the subject matter of Lord, I Want to Know You could not be better -- the names of God are central to our understanding of the character of God.

Now, onto this specific study. I finally completed this study on recommendation of my mom, who has done it countless times and who loves it. So, while this particular system didn't especially appeal to me, it certainly does to some.

I found I did not much care for Kay Arthur's writing style (examples, supporting verses,
John Avery
I have done considerable research on the names of God in the Bible including reading about a dozen of the best books on the subject. Kay Arthur's book is among the best (see my other reviews to find out which ones I consider to be best). Kay Arthur is interested in more than simply a study of names; she wants people to grow in relationship with the Lord. Her book facilitates that well.
My biggest concern with books like this is that they are selective; there are about 500 names of God, Jesus and
Debra Wagenecht
This is a wonderful study on the Old Testament names of God and their revelance to us today. It shows us how God teaches us about Himself and His attributes through His Names. I highly recommend it!
Mary S
This was a life changing study for me in my early twenties. I'm grateful to the friends who taught it in our Bible study group. I've since taught it to others.
housedintherock
Kay Aruthur is excellent and this is not one of her inductive Bible studies so you don't need to know how to do those in order to go through this. I went through this for the second time with a small group and it was much more meaningful having others' input. We did this right after Edward Welch's When People are Big and God is Small. It was an awesome thing to read after learning about how much I feared people instead of God. My most enduring take away was from Arthur's explanation of what it m ...more
Rose Marie
Didn't like her writing style at all...
Lillie
I started a women's Bible study based on this book at my church, but I wasn't able to complete the study because of health issues. I read the rest of the book and answered the questions but didn't write the answers because I was reading on my Kindle. I definitely feel I learned more in the study than in the chapters I read on my own. The group discussion and the DVD teaching really made a difference. The book is well worth reading on your own, but if you can go through it with a small group, it ...more
Yolanda
Awesome study
Ashleigh
My understanding of who God is has expanded so much through this great study. Each name share a different attribute of who God has revealed himself to be through his word. I skipped Jehovah Rapha, The Lord our Healer, because I don't agree with the author's view of healing sin sickness primarily and not physical healing. To me, this take is faith weakening, not building. Other than that, I would recommend this as a valuable study for any serious student of the Word.
Susan
I couldn't put this one down. I think I finished the whole study in 3 days. I liked it so much I bought one for a friend of mine, used the information in this book to make daily prayer cards using the names of God as a gift for my mother then kept it for myself. She'll just have to wait til I get another creative urge. You will be glad you picked this one up. I did several other Kay Arthur studies after completing this one.
Iamthird
The Lord Who Sanctifies You
The Lord Is Peace
The Lord of Hosts
The Lord My Shepherd
The Lord Our Righteousness "The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous runs into it and is safe." Proverbs 18:10
The Lord is There
Kay Arthur's "LORD" studies, especially this one, are a great introduction to the inductive study method. This book takes you through several of God's names, outlining His character and our response. Kay brings you right to the Word of God and helps you dig into it. I really enjoyed this study and learning more about God's character. Originally I did the study in a group, but it would be fine to do this study by yourself.
Wendy C
I'm doing this as a Bible study with 3 other ladies. Our discussion have been good and this is an atypical Kay Arthur book as it does not tons of homework that folks do not have time for. Our group is from various denominations and so the discussion part of the names of God has been dynamic. The best part is the tenderness and personal application of what the names mean to draw you closer to who God is to you.
Serri
This was a fantastic study that you can easily do on your own or with a group. Each day you study the different names of the Lord and what those names mean in application to your life, for instance, Elohim (the Creater), El Roi (the God who sees), Jehovah-jireh (the Lord will provide), Jehovah-raah (the Lord is my shepherd), Jehovah-shammah (the Lord is there), and others.
Katie Shuck
In typical Kay Arthur fashion, this book is one that causes you to look deeper into the meanings of all words used to describe God - and the contexts in which they are used. It is not a book to read if you don't have time to study. I'd highly recommend reading it with a group of friends so that you can truly discuss the questions that arise.
Jodi
I am not a fan of inductive bible study at all but surprisingly it's only mentioned a few times in the entire book. Did this study with a group of women at church, it was helpful to learn the different names used to refer to God throughout the OT.
Elaine
We read this in our Ladies Neighborhood Bible Study Group. Found it most interesting the different names for God, the various meanings, how they related to our daily lives and to Biblical History, etc. We meet every two weeks and we did a chapter at each meeting. Long Chapter two meetings. So took almost a year to read it.
Shanna
This is one of the best devotionals I have done in a long time. Each chapter spoke to me, and I felt like everything was applicable to my life. There is definitely freedom in declaring the names of the Lord and in understanding the specificities of his name. I rarely recommend a devotional, but I certainly recommend this one.
Angela
Not so impressed. Wish I liked this book more. Every once in a while, there was a jewel, but overall it felt trite and cliche.

The more important part was the summer women's Bible study I attended while studying the book. The women were great, and we had some great times of sharing and prayer for one another.
Krista G.
Amazing! Perhaps it's where I was in my faith journey, but it was a wonderful tool to get to know God in a more intimate way. Knowing His names and when to call on each one helps create a closer walk with Him!

A great resource for any shelf!
Shiffra
Read this with a women's small group. I never realized how different the different name of G-d are. I learned a lot from this. My biggest take away was the Jehovah-jireh. Reminding me that the has and will continue to provide.
Mathias Seiwert
“This book is soothing aloe to my sunburned soul. A life-changer and life-saver! Through this book God is helping me know Him more deeply, helping me to examine the many facets of His perfect and glorious character!”
I checked this out on my Nook from the library to see if I would like the Lord Series. I quickly realized I need this in hard form so I can write in it and do the exercises. I love her studies.
Kellie Whitaker
One of the BEST studies I have ever completed. Love the author's writing style and bible study method style. It appeals to the kinesthetic learner in me. Would recommend this study!
  • Loving God with All Your Mind
  • Lessons I Learned in the Dark
  • Having a Mary Spirit: Allowing God to Change Us from the Inside Out
  • The Practice of Godliness
  • Calm My Anxious Heart
  • What Happens When Women Say Yes to God: Experiencing Life in Extraordinary Ways
  • The Grace Awakening: Believing in Grace Is One Thing. Living It Is Another.
  • The Bondage Breaker
  • The Search for Significance: Seeing Your True Worth Through God's Eyes
  • What Happens When Women Pray
  • Grace for the Moment: Inspirational Thoughts for Each Day of the Year
  • Why Pro-Life?: Caring for the Unborn and Their Mothers (Today's Critical Concerns)
Kay Arthur (born November 11, 1933 in Jackson, Michigan) is an international Bible teacher, four-time ECPA Christian Book Award winning author, and co-CEO of Precept Ministries International. Kay has systematized studying the Bible, developing a set of steps to follow so as to "mine" the details of the given book under study. Being systematized, it is accessible to lay persons, rather than scholar ...more
More about Kay Arthur...

Devotional Study (8 books)
  • Lord, Is It Warfare? Teach Me to Stand: A Devotional Study on Spiritual Victory
  • Lord, Heal My Hurts: A Devotional Study on God's Care and Deliverance
  • Lord, Only You Can Change Me: A Devotional Study on Growing in Character from the Beatitudes
  • Lord, I Need Grace to Make It Today: A Devotional Study on God's Power for Daily Living
  • Lord, Where Are You When Bad Things Happen?: A Devotional Study on Living by Faith
  • Lord, Give Me a Heart for You: A Devotional Study on Having a Passion for God
  • Lord, I'm Torn Between Two Masters: A Devotional Study on Genuine Faith from the Sermon on the Mount
How to Study Your Bible Israel, My Beloved Lord, Teach Me to Pray in 28 Days As Silver Refined: Answers to Life's Disappointments Lord, Is It Warfare? Teach Me to Stand: A Devotional Study on Spiritual Victory